Rutger Prins - special graphics

Rutger Prins - special graphics Plus

Hey guys, just new here on Vimeo. I've recently started my own site which features a few Vimeo videos (rutgerprins.com) and everything on my site is white. Would be awesome if the black bars around Vimeo videos could be easily altered to any color via embedding!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

You can change the embed player dimension to any size you want to remove the black bars unless the video itself contains these bars.

Rutger Prins - special graphics

Rutger Prins - special graphics Plus

Thanks for the quick reply. I know this is possible which is a good first step. However, with responsive web design it's quite hard to nail down a fixed size for the embedded player. On my site, this is very apparent if you shrink the browser window. Would still be great to have white bars or any other color for that matter.

Murat Can Kuscu

Murat Can Kuscu Plus

Hi,
Today i found out when i embed my video on facebook instead of black bars i had white bars, is it possible to do the same thing for my vimeo page account and other websites? Currently when i switch to full screen mode and turn the scaling on i have black background

Thanks

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hmm. This sounds strange. Do you have a page where we can take a look at what's happening?

Murat Can Kuscu

Murat Can Kuscu Plus

Since I have a white background in full screen this looks quite good...

Welven Tan

Welven Tan

Hi,
I'm having the same problem too.
When I share a vimeo video link on my facebook wall, tested the playback when I hit fullscreen, the bars on both top and bottom is white in color, instead it should be standard black. Most videos are 16:9, and if the videos are 16:9 anamorphic, the bars should appear black as well.
I've tried going to Vimeo's Facebook profile to test their shared videos, all videos when hit on fullscreen had the white bars too when playback in Facebook. Is this an intended thing by Vimeo? Or it is not discovered by anyone yet from Vimeo?
thanks! look forward for a respond.
here's the vimeo facebook link for easy access.

Link: facebook.com/Vimeo

Achim Baur

Achim Baur Plus

Like Rutger Prins my web site uses responsive design techniques. The size of the embedded Vimeo player depends upon the size of the user's browser. Therefore in most cases there are black bars at the top and the bottom of my video player. Which would be fine with me if you'd let me change the color of the bars. My site has white background and the black bars really mess up the design.

Link: achim-baur.com

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Achim. We are working on a large player update project now and this is one of the areas of our player we want to improve. In the meantime though, if you are embedding the video in correct aspect ratio, should it work without seeing the black bars on your responsive layout?

Achim Baur

Achim Baur Plus

I am using a Wordpress theme based on Foundation, a responsive framework that adapts to the size of the user's browser. When I embed videos from Vimeo it does not really matter what width and height I put in the iframe tag. It's wrapped up in a DIV to create an intrinsic ratio that will properly scale my video on any device. That's great - but they only have two aspect ratios, 4:3 and 16:9 (widescreen). My videos are mostly in 767x360, which, I admit, is rather uncommon. The way I see it, if I want the player to change it's size responsively, I have to live with the bars. If that is so, I want them to be white.

Links: achim-baur.com/?portfolio=shoe-the-bear, foundation.zurb.com/docs/elements.php

Achim Baur

Achim Baur Plus

Any news on the player update and the possibility to change the colors of the bars to white?

hamneroluyg

hamneroluyg

Your site is great and white color is nice color for eyes.

Andrew

Andrew

The white color is blinding. It's such a distraction when you're watching a video and playing a game at the same time and the video is dark on one monitor, and the game is dark on the other monitor...but right between the two is this 4 inch strip of blinding white light that's just there to take up the space because the video card doesn't know what to do with the extra space on the monitor because the videos don't actually go "full screen" on my computer. They'll stretch top to bottom but not side to side.

Shenstone Lodge - Class 4

Shenstone Lodge - Class 4

When I embed a slideshow video on a page with a white background it is ok while the aspect ratio of the player matches the slides in "landscape" orientation, but very frustrating and spoils the effect having the black background appear when a "portrait" slide comes up.

Why can't the background colour be selected black or white in the embed settings?

eyeland

eyeland

Hi guys !
don't know if it's the right place to ask but i'm starting a blog with clips that i will upload here in vimeo !
c-hy.tumblr.com
i would like to put video in autoplay (i know how to do that) but i'd like to remove the black bars vimeo create, how can i do that? do i have to resize it before uploading on vimeo ?
in this case whic are the right dimension ?
thanks !

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.