Fabian Mohr

Fabian Mohr Plus

This feature request vimeo.com/forums/topic:43985 is something I'd second as well. Working with responsive designs, it's a little tricky to enforce a video player that never shows a few lines of the iframe background. Since the iframe background is black by default and many websites are white by default, a black line is quite common on top of the videoplayer. Giving us an option to pick a background color of our choice would be a nice workaround.

Thanks
Fabian

KoaLoa

KoaLoa

how's it coming with the delete black option? I'm looking for white at this time

Carles Tomás Martí

Carles Tomás Martí

I second that feature request as well. I've been annoyed by this very same issue a few times.

Blur Producciones

Blur Producciones PRO

just ran into this issue myself - had to implement an insatisfactory workaround .
I'm using oembed in django to get the videos in our company website. The videos are of many different sizes and aspect ratios. The website used to be black so i could get away with having one iframe size for all, but we wanted to change it into white and black bars started showing up all over the place. So i had to get rid of the iframe resizing - but then oembed returns different iframe sizes for each video which break the design. Setting options in oembed doesnt help much.

Nicholas Przybyla

Nicholas Przybyla

I think that is a great idea. It would really help my projects pop more if they weren't competing with the white background

Nikolay Kuchumov

Nikolay Kuchumov

remove the white flashing background when embedded videos are loaded on a Black background

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

As I stated above this is something we are considering as part of a much larger player enhancement project which we are currently working on.

Elizabeth Jamieson

Elizabeth Jamieson

Thanks for the reply to this Soxiam - can't wait. How long? I just bought a PRO account and must say Vimeo is fantastic. You could add a few more outro options too. Like a disappear the video altogether so that we can put our own messging under a video when it has finished playing.

Also I +1 the background colour choice too.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Elizabeth. We don't comment on the ship date of our active projects. Right now we are working on number of enhancements in a larger player update project and we will be looking into this as part of that work.

As for displaying message in the outro of embeds, Plus and PRO users already have that option and it's available via video settings page.

Nick Bouton

Nick Bouton

Is there any progress on this issue? Being able to customize the background color of the embedded iframe would be a huge benefit.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

It's still something we are considering at this point. We have a HUGE player update project that will hopefully come out later this year and hopefully it's something we can tackle then.

Eleganza Boutique

Eleganza Boutique Plus

Definitely would be a great feature to be able to change the background color to white (or any selected color would be even better). I'll look forward to it.

Datema GmbH

Datema GmbH Plus

any news on that? I would like a white background!

Kevin Sweeney

Kevin Sweeney Staff

Nothing new to report. Like Sox said above, this is something that’s being considered as part of a larger project due out later this year.

Lyndon Farrington

Lyndon Farrington PRO

any news @kevin sweeny, yet on your consideration?.. it seems like many of your customers want this option including me... thanks

All About Cosmetic Surgery

All About Cosmetic Surgery PRO

+1 Just wanted to add my interest to this issue. Being able to replace the black flashing background colour would greatly enhance they way our white background videos display on a white background website.

Luxury Exchange

Luxury Exchange PRO

At this point that would be a huge plus for us being able to change the black background.
Statistically there are way more websites with white and light backgrounds than black backgrounds one.
I understand the reason behind and I know black stands out more but that 1/2 sec black flash is so "unaesthetic" - from a design & composition point of view, "white on black elements" for ex. are a lot more pleasant on the eye than "black on white elements" :)

Infradata

Infradata Plus

We are almost two years further and still nothing new on the background changing issue’s. I'm starting to think and feel that Vimeo sucks. What a disappointment. In my opinion this must be a simple adjustment. And a lot of your clients with a plus account would like this feature very very much.

Creation Today

Creation Today PRO

+1 Would also like to see a white background option to blend with my white site.

CJ NguyenLe

CJ NguyenLe

wow, I can't believe there is no white background option? Are you kidding?? How difficult can that be? Is there other similar site beside Vimeo like YouTube? It's a deal breaker for me for not able to change the video background to blend in well with my site.

Mike Paxman

Mike Paxman Plus

I also need a white background for embed videos, it's plainly ridiculous to only have an automatic black BG.

Bachrun LoMele

Bachrun LoMele

hear hear for a white background option. thanks.

Ben

Ben Plus

After 2 years is it really that hard to change the background color from black to white?

Scratch

Scratch

Anyone have a workaround for this?

Texas School Safety Center

Texas School Safety Center Plus

Any update on this request? It would greatly help us implement our responsive design while continuing to use Vimeo instead of YouTube... Please let us know where you are at on this small but highly requested feature...

+1 more for this feature!

Christopher Alesevich

Christopher Alesevich

Hi there, this is a big annoyance and an important feature for me to have. Please update asap! Many thanks.

Bujinkan Manitoba

Bujinkan Manitoba Plus

+1 especially for plus/pro users. At least make it an option in the embed section.

Grafiekgroep

Grafiekgroep Plus

not much support here...
I've had the same problem
I changed the width of the iframe I included in my html from 970 to 968px.
This got rid of the two black lines on the side of the videoplayer.
When I press play though, a black line reappears at the top of teh videoplayer.
But hey, that's better than nothing at all...

Adam Dedman

Adam Dedman

Would like to see this feature also. The black lines are frustrating when you like everything to be pixel perfect.

Matthew Williamson

Matthew Williamson Plus

+1. The lack of this feature make vimeo unsuitable for my needs. It's not even that hard to implement with respect to the iframe- its just setting background color on a couple of elements... However, we cannot style the elements of the iframe ourselves because of same origin policy. Please implemente this feature.

takomat Agentur GbR

takomat Agentur GbR PRO

Hi VIMEO-TEAM, will use VIMEO in more and more responsive projects.

For that kind of embedding, we would highly appreciate an option for setting a custom bgcolor of the iFrame - so please, put it on the next release ;-)

So: +100!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey guys,

Vimeo doesn't allow for the bumping of threads with "+1". Please add your thoughts as to why you'd like to see this feature implemented.

stefan

stefan

Hey guys,
please please please add this feature. Especially with responsive websites, it is a real shame that the vimeo iframe adds an ugly black box on certain screen sizes! I would much more prefer it to fit aesthetically to my background, and just blend in smoothly if it's white, or gray, or WhiteSmoke!

Tantrwm Limited

Tantrwm Limited Plus

when???? Currently all my sites look crap when embedding video from Vimeo as we use extensive use of sliders.
And Vimeo wont allow us to change the bkd colour.

breakthroughchange.com/

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Sounds like you may need to contact the developer of that slider, or manually change the code to not scale the player beyond the size of the actual video file.

Stepic

Stepic PRO

Bump. It'll greatly improve how it looks when embedded to our site.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Similar to my comment above, wouldn't you rather change the player size to match the video file? This should only occur if you're scaling the player in a way that doesn't match the video.

ZiuZ

ZiuZ Plus

I guess it would be a real extra stress for the vimeo servers if every videofile is accompanied with it's own css file. But what if (at least for now) you could choose out of two bgcolor presets: black or white. That would help. and it wouldn't stress the servers too much extra, would it?

IceWraps

IceWraps PRO

Yes, even 2 options (black or white) would make all the difference in the world. It is the difference between using Vimeo and not using Vimeo

FoH

FoH Plus

why is it so painful to get vimeo to do anything? this thread is old. i would also like to be able to remove all lines from above and below the video.

mark ellison

mark ellison Plus

I agrre. I just upgraded to plus because I thought it had this feature. Please Vimeo, give us this option.

IDNATION

IDNATION

Hey Vimeo,

What is going on? Are you working on the background color issue? How much longer will it take? Or are you not interested in solving this problem? As I can see a lot of people are asking for it for a very long time! I would really appreciate it if you could find a solution soon.

Cheers

five feet high

five feet high PRO

Yes, this is absolutely necessary. Should be easy to set the BG color to a Hex variable just like the player button colors.

Dee Parker

Dee Parker PRO

Please allow us to set the background colour :)

Todd Mihlbauer

Todd Mihlbauer PRO

Background color option seems like a no-brainer - please make this happen.

Motionworks

Motionworks PRO

Having black lines appear around embedded videos looks like a mistake and must be addressed. This thread is over 2 years old! Please address it.

EMC Outdoor

EMC Outdoor PRO

Wouldn't no background color make even more sense? (and be easier to implement?) Seems like that would solve the issue regardless of site colors. Love you VIMEO, but seems like a lot of folks have been asking this for a long time. . .

Payworks

Payworks PRO

I've been patiently waiting for this feature for ages and I'm sure the Vimeo staff is tired of hearing about it but really, guys, it can't be that difficult considering all the other features and customizations your player allows.

Seriously, having black bars across the top and bottom of the video simply isn't acceptable and I find myself trying desperately to endorse your product to my superiors who are all fixated on ugly black bars visible while they're watching a corporate video. They're tired of hearing "all Vimeo tells me is that it can't be done". I'm at a point where I have no choice but to find another solution.

C'mon Vimeo, I have to make a decision. Are you going to provide a solution or not?

Rene Grothmann

Rene Grothmann

This is what I call a two hour fix. What a shame.

Matthew Stapleford

Matthew Stapleford PRO

Terrible response from Vimeo to their customers. I cannot believe that after searching myself and then reading all the above comments that such a basic function cannot be provided.

mediominuto

mediominuto PRO

Companies that don't listen to their customers usually disappear. Will you listen to us?

Moved

Moved Plus

I'm having the same issue, thin black lines on either side of the video when the browser is rescaled (responsive layout). I've looked into fixes / workarounds but everyone seems to be pointing the finger at Vimeo!

The option to set the background colour would be great - any further news / developments?

Thanks in advance and love you lots x

Daniel Kurt Kirstein

Daniel Kurt Kirstein PRO

Why dont they do something? I just paid all this money for a PRO memebership and these black bars make me think I did a big mistake!

gradwerk

gradwerk PRO

+1 We need this option as well. When will it be available?

Jeff Lombardo

Jeff Lombardo

First off, Vimeo, this is annoying.

Second, here's a "fix", not ideal but works okay if you are able to edit the html/css of the page with the iframe:

Put the iframe in a wrapper {position: relative; overflow: hidden} that has a width 2px less than the iframe itself.
Style the iframe to have {position: absolute; left: -1px;}

That should remove the black 1px borders on the right and left of the video.

To remove the black 1px border on the top set the iframe to: {top: -1px;}

Again, not ideal as you do lose a couple pixels of video content. If anyone has a better solution (vimeo?) feel free.

McCharles

McCharles

Yeah, umm +1 here too. and PLEASE make 'transparent' an option, so that we can place these over our own background colors/designs.

I am using fitvids.js with vimeo movies and really need transparent background for HTML, BODY as well as the '.player .video-wrapper' div.

Pretty please?

Joe Blau

Joe Blau

I would also like to add my request for customizable background colors. I was able to change the color though the inspector by modifying .player .video-wrapper so it shouldn't be that hard to add as a plus/pro feature. I'm looking for a white background to match my blog and I would upgrade to plus for this feature.

oedsch

oedsch

İt seems that there is no solution for this 'problem' yet.
i embedded also vimeo links to the homepage of our company. it is a fully responsible homepage so if i squeeze the site, those black bars starting to appear. looks weird on a bright grey background. even if its impossible to turn it transparent i also would appreciate the function to choose a colorcode for the background.
even if i am not a plus or pro member, my boss is. :)
thanks for your efforts.

Rob Burnett

Rob Burnett Plus

This is a very very very poor show from Vimeo. The actual implementation of this is sooooooo simple yet has taken over 2 years and a lack of response from the Vimeo team on this issue now is shocking!!

Just allow a simple feature in the account to edit the css style or do via script.

Guys...its really not that hard....very very very poor!

Think its time to close up Vimeo.

Disappointing.

MeEO Profile

MeEO Profile PRO

Seriously? This thread is over two years old now, and still no answer? It doesn't even have to be an editable option - if you just got rid of the background declaration on the #player and .player .video-wrapper elements in the embed, EVERYBODY WOULD BE HAPPY.

In a world of responsive design, it is inexplicable that you expect everyone to either deal with heinous black edges every time a video player isn't exactly the right dimensions for the video or specify different player dimensions for every possible page size! Come on Vimeo, we're paying for this service, the least you can do is not force us into awkward workarounds just to make the video look decent on our sites.

Streamstar Inc.

Streamstar Inc. PRO

I cant believe the reaction time of Vimeo... for 2 years people are requesting a simple iFrame background colour change feature and Vimeo still can't do it? :( This is beyond disappointing! Its unbelievable ignorance really.

Craig Winslow II

Craig Winslow II Plus

Just came across this issue as well, trying to embed full width video presents a very large problem when trying to simple replace the video-wrapper background from #000 to a hex color... looks so simple to change too!

I imagine more and more people will be requesting this as full-width sites become more and more prevalent... Consider this my request for this feature as well! (Thanks Vimeo!)

O'Neill

O'Neill PRO

+1 -- This would be great for our particular usage scenario in our PRO account.

Colour NL

Colour NL PRO

We recently signed up for a PRO account and would also like to have the option of either a custom background color for the player, or no background at all. I've tried overriding the player CSS with no effect. Has anyone found a workaround for this? We definitely need it for Responsive designs!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.