Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hiding thumbnails of "mature" videos is something we're working on. It's dependent on when we fully implement the Mature Content Filter into site-wide search.

MENDO

MENDO Plus

Hello,
I work both with a church and as an independent creative in several aspects of video production. I am constantly on vimeo searching for inspiring pieces and networking with all the great creatives out there.

Recently however, it seems that every time I search for anything I see some sort of nudity. I have found it difficult to find inspirational videos during creative meetings at church or even showing a potential client examples, without running into this. I recently had one of my supervisors at work walk into my office as I was searching vimeo and was immediately put off.

I understand that vimeo is a community of creative expression and that this is a genre in which some individual choose to express themselves. So my request is not to necessarily ban or censor these videos.

My request is to censor thumbnails. I know this would require a little more work both vimeo and its users in the creative selection of our thumbnails. This may require checking a box that may indicate in one of the corners of the thumbnail that the video does contain nudity.

I am certain I am not the only user who is having issues with this. My hope is that this can be resolve respectfully for all users. Thank you for your Time!

Jonathan

Michael Lehman

Michael Lehman

I agree. Let's make an important change to this. I will stop using Vimeo if a change is not made.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hi Jonathan. We have a plan to work on a tool this year that will allow the users to decide what type of content they prefer to discover on vimeo.

Hatchett Media

Hatchett Media

I agree too. I think it's important to realize that whether or not you work for a religious institution or not, vimeo is still a public forum and should abide by basic FCC guidelines and not post any nudity or implied sexuality. As more professionals in the video and film industry turn to vimeo as more of a sophisticated medium to share their work, the last thing we need is to have an awkward moment with a brand new client, or even a supervisor at work stepping in at just the wrong timing. I support Mr. Mendoza's stance on this fully.

Joshua Davis

Joshua Davis

I support this petition. I too have run into this problem, having a co-worker or family member in the room and trying to scroll through searched key terms that have nothing to do with 18+ terms and don't relate in any way, and a thumbnail with nudity returned. It seems to have become a larger issue lately. I work as a video editor for a large missions organization and I cannot afford to risk browsing Vimeo in the office because of this.

Christopher Francis

Christopher Francis Plus

Yes please!

I've been hopping on Vimeo less and less because my homepage feed is consistently populated with nudity and all of the channels and groups I subscribe to have nothing to do with it. I realize that art can tend to have more leniency on these issues, but I think a thumbnail censorship would be a very reasonable solution.

I love Vimeo and can't support this solution enough.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Christopher. Would you mind sharing with us via what subscription you are seeing these? Also do you have some example URLs and the subscription that added these videos to your feed?

Christopher Francis

Christopher Francis Plus

Hey Soxiam, they show up on my home feed because people add the videos to channels and groups I subscribe to. For example today when I just logged in someone uploaded a video in the "artistic social filmmakers" group and the thumbnail is of an exposed naked woman laying on the sidewalk. I can leave this group (and probably will) but more and more of these videos are popping up in unrelated groups like "Canon DSLR Video Users Group" for example.

Link: vimeo.com/groups/artisticsocialfilmmakers

Jyra Films

Jyra Films Plus

Could not agree more! It's even worse if you pull up Vimeo on Apple TV and your kids walk through and catch those thumbnails. I've had to block it out all together. Now it's not worth the hassel of unlocking it, so I no longer use Vimeo like I once did.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

When we release this tool, it will be available on Apple TV. As I mentioned above it's planned for some time this year.

chuckyc

chuckyc

I would love to know what the status is on this. I just searched "John 3 16" and sorted by "likes" and there is nudity in the thumbnails. That is kind of rediculous. It's gotten to the point where I can't really use vimeo anymore to show clients videos like I used to.

I've been with vimeo for a while, and would hate to leave it, but until this is solved I can't really use it anymore.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

It's something we are working on. Sorry but we don't comment on the release date of active or future projects, but I can tell you, as I mentioned above, it's slated for some time this year.

Perez

Perez

I look for nudity but I can´t find it!!! :-)

sorry, couldn´t resist the joke!

Christopher Barnes

Christopher Barnes

@Perez: LOL
I would LOVE if I can bad tags and thumbnails on videos. It was also be AWESOME if there is a Protection/Safe Mode. I realize you're working on something. I can't wait until it comes out!

Illuminate Education

Illuminate Education PRO

+1 for this one. I work at an education software company that has been using Vimeo to host all our support videos for the past two years. We love the features that allow us to create portfolios and embed our videos easily in our support documents.

However, many of our districts have started blocking access to Vimeo and videos hosted on Vimeo because of the nudity. These districts have recommended that we switch our video hosting to YouTube which has a "Safety Mode" feature that they can turn on to prevent their students from viewing objectionable content.

I'm hoping that the excellent Vimeo team will be able to add a similar feature to their product so we can continue using it and not have to switch to YouTube.

Link: youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/02/safety-mode-giving-you-more-control-on.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+youtube%2FPKJx+%28YouTube+Blog%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

As Sox said above, this is something we're actively working on now. We can't comment on release dates but this is definitely coming out by the end of the year.

MENDO

MENDO Plus

Thanks Tommy and Sox. We appreciate your time and work on this! I am sure you guys will come up with a great solution!

Alex Pescosta

Alex Pescosta Plus

I agree with all you guys! I see that every day new people try to get more views of their videos with thumbnails including nudity or sexual explicit images. I think that this is also not fair to the great majority of people here on Vimeo that spend lots of time trying to create great videos, using elegant, "normal" thumbnails, and then get just a 1/10 of the views that other get, just because they have xxx images at thumb. Sry for my english, i hope you understand what I mean. And i just say all this becasue of my great love for Vimeo and all the fantastic filmmakers on this site!

Christopher Francis

Christopher Francis Plus

Our church is starting to get weekly emails from people who watch our videos, click on our Vimeo page, and then are confronted with sexually suggestive nudity from all of the junk that is being added to popular vimeo groups and channels. This fix can't come soon enough.

Michael Crissinger

Michael Crissinger Plus

I agree with the above discussion -- can't search vimeo freely at work looking for creative inspiration without coming across videos in the feed like this... let's get it cleaned up soon!!

Rich

Rich

Any update on this. It is really annoying and embarrassing going to watch a music video and then seeing, NO JOKE, 4 "related" thumbnails for videos with FULL NUDITY. Is there any update on removing this content on Vimeo's Apple TV app. Very frustrated that Vimeo did not have the foresight to stop this before it became a problem.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Rich,

Vimeo launched a Mature Content Filter since this thread was created. We have yet to implement it fully into search, but when we do you'll be offered the ability to filter out Mature content. We appreciate your patience while we undergo phase two of this roll out.

Marlys

Marlys

A "flag as inappropriate" button next to the thumbnail would be great too. Even better if it immediately covers or removes the image from the page.

I agree that the search filter can't come soon enough! Please!

MENDO

MENDO Plus

Matt
I dont think that would be the best solution. If I flagged videos I would just be disappointed and I would be creating more work for you not to mention the thumbnails are not against your guidelines. I think Marlys idea is genius!

Marlys

Marlys

Thanks Jonathan :)

Yeah, when I'm at work, and my innocent searches yield thumbnails of scantily clad individuals...
honestly I'm not inclined to open the video and /enlarge/ the image.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Jonathan,

It's our duty to remove violating content that we come across or are alerted to, so I would definitely suggest flagging the videos. If the video violates our guidelines, we've found that the thumbnail will reflect that.

When we fully implement Mature Content Filter into site search, hiding thumbnails of mature videos will be an option.

MENDO

MENDO Plus

Thanks Matt!

That sounds great. I will definitely try to do my part! Looking forward to the updated option. I really appreciate the response.

MENDO

MENDO Plus

I think collectively our issue is not with the videos on Vimeo as much as the Thumbnails. I appreciate the efforts to filter videos using the Mature Content feature. However this requires the user uploading the video to tag the video.

LETS BE HONEST.

People want views and anything that will stop or lessen that will be ignored. The ability to ignore these videos must be in the VEIWERs hands, not the user. People are not changing or adding this tag. And there is no way to ensure that this can happen using that feature.

Viewers should have the ability to flag Thumbnails as mature and immediately sensor or black out the thumbnail. And after a user is flagged they should be prompted to tag their video. I believe this or a variation of this should strongly be considered.

I would also like to say on behalf of all the users that we appreciate all the staff's work to try to find a solution for this. Thanks Matt, Tommy and Soxiam!

JOHN ZEWIZZ

JOHN ZEWIZZ Plus

I Will Agree that Some Forms Ov Expressionism can be at the wrong place & the wrong time...but if you think Nudity & The Human Body iz Foul...You have a right to your opinion...But don't start burning Witches quite yet...Our Bodies are Natural...peoples opinions are only opinions..that are open to Ignorance...Our Bodies are not able to be Ignorant , opinionated or Subject to Conditioning ...They are just what we Live in.............. Bodies...I would suggest that any Nudity be blocked from going to sites that children visit . When You Start To Censor Peoples Work...Even A Fingernail..I Think You Will Lose More Than You Bargined For...If CHRISTOPHER Thinks Censorship Works...I Totally Agree He iz on the wrong Network...Utube iz Very Safe...

MENDO

MENDO Plus

Hey John! Thanks for joining the convo!

Yeah I can understand where you are coming from. I think it is important to note that we are not asking for the removal of any videos or even limit anyones ability to post what they want.
We are simply saying we want the option to not have to see it.

John, we have all been given the freedom to express however our hearts desire. However, at the same time we should have the right to control how we are exposed to that expression. I know I could simply leave the vimeo community. But should I leave and check out because I am exposed to this content? I don't think I should.

Can't we all just be friends? ha But really. I think that's all we are asking for. A mutual respect for each others ability to express and engage however one may choose to.

Thanks again for your time and comment!

Scott Porter

Scott Porter

Nothing more annoying than full nudity thumbnails appearing in search results at work. I can't confidently use Vimeo in meetings!

Is there a fix for this yet?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Scott,

This feature is in active development and should be releasing soon!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.