JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

I've uploaded several versions of a video for testing, and Vimeo's HD encodes always come out with drastic intermittent luminance drops. (I don't know what else to call it.) I observe the luminance drops regardless of whether I play the video in Vimeo's player over the internet, or download the file and play it on my system. There may be a problem with some of Vimeo's SD encodes too.

My original files don't have this problem.

Link: vimeo.com/59326268; vimeo.com/59251510

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Interesting. Can you tell me a specific time in your videos where you are seeing this?

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

Ian, would you be willing to watch both one of my originals, and one of Vimeo's encodes? Then the problem will be obvious. You don't need to watch the entire video. If you watch the first minute, you will see it. Thanks.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

I've skimmed the first part of that forum topic, and will read more of it, but it really doesn't sound like the same problem. My problem is almost a complete loss of the image, possibly where there should be keyframes. It is far more drastic than a gamma shift.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

The different browsers may be defaulting to different files.

Play go to Downloads, and play the Vimeo encodes that way, rather than through the Vimeo player on a browser.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

I've been using Quicktime Player 10 when checking downloaded Vimeo encoded files. Now, I've checked one of them with both Quicktime Player 10, and VLC. The problem occurs when played with Quicktime Player 10. The problem does not occur when played with VLC.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

In Safari, the problem occurs when using the HTML5 player.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

Could it be, the Vimeo files should have a different extension (not .mp4), if they require Flash for proper playback?

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

Ah, I realize now, I've had "Make my videos compatible with mobile devices" unchecked. Do you think that is the problem? I'll try checking it, and see what happens.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

As you have probably already realized would happen, checking the "Make my videos compatible with mobile devices" didn't solve the problem. All it did was add a 480x270 file, which indeed doesn't have the problem. But the HD size (and sometimes the SD size?) still has the problem. In addition to having it make all already uploaded videos compatible, I did an entirely new upload: vimeo.com/59457603. But the 720p file resulting from the new upload still has the problem.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

I'm been using Safari up to now. Firefox seems to play the video without problems. However, if it is a Safari problem, it's also a Quicktime Player problem. I see it with downloaded files, played with Quicktime Player 10, which doesn't make sense.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Interesting. Thanks for looking into this. I'm going to work on this issue. I apologize for the inconvenience.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

Ian, thanks for looking into this. Earlier today, I was at my local Apple Store for one-to-one training. I checked the 1080p version on Vimeo, set to the HTML5 Player, on one of the store's iMac's. I did not see the problem. Also, I downloaded the Vimeo encoded 1080p MP4 file, and did not see the problem when playing it with Quicktime Player 10 on that iMac. Also, I watched the 720p version on one of the store's iPad's, and did not see the problem.

So I figured, it's been fixed. However, as soon as I got home to check the videos on my iMac, I saw the same problem all over again. I am using Snow Leopard. Of course, at the Apple Store, the iMac was using Lion, and the iPad was using iOS. It seems strange to me that would make the difference.

julien widmer

julien widmer Plus

I've notice the same problem as you.

for exemple with this video played : vimeo.com/58912692

I've some Gamma Drops, everytime at the same moments.
>> Gamma Drop at 0:03" also at 0:57"

If I watch this on Firefox on OSX 10.6.8 on my MACPRO : No problem at all
(I have not the possibility to swith from HTML5 or flash, there is no icon. I think it's flash because no problem at all)

If I watch this on safari 5.2.7 on OSX 10.6.8 on my MACPRO : Gammas Drops on HTML5
f I watch this on safari 5.2.7 on OSX 10.6.8 on my MACPRO : No problem at all on Flash

If I watch this on safari 5.2.7 on OSX 10.6.8 on my MACBOOKPRO: Gammas Drops on HTML5
If I watch this on safari 5.2.7 on OSX 10.6.8 on my MACBOOKPRO: No problem at all on Flash

On IPAD: No problem at all

Is it a bug from SAFARI ? / VIMEO HTML5 Player? / Graphic Card ?

It's definitely a HTML5 Player Bug I think.

Link: vimeo.com/58912692

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

And what happens, Julien, if you download Vimeo's encode, and play it with Quicktime Player 10?

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

I see those two gamma drops at 0:03 and 0:57, when I play your video with Safari 5.1.7, on OSX 10.6.8, on my iMac (2011 model.)

But my problem is much, much more weird! I'll make this one temporarily public: I really want the problem fixed before I make it permanently public: vimeo.com/59326268

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Thanks for the detailed report, Julien. I'm going to pass this information on to our developers on Monday and see if we can nail down what may be causing this. I apologize to you both in the meantime for the inconvenience.

julien widmer

julien widmer Plus

I cannot download the video because it's not allowed with this one, and it's not mine.

I see your drops on your video too. only on HTML5 player.

julien widmer

julien widmer Plus

I think you will not be able to change this because it seems to be a bug from the html5 vimeo player.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

But I definitely see this problem with my video when I download the Vimeo encoded version, and play it with Quicktime Player 10 on my iMac. My original uploaded video does not have the problem.

julien widmer

julien widmer Plus

on quicktime maybe you can disable it with the preferences. "compatibility with finalcut gamma " I know there is an option like that on quicktime 7

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

Me too. P.S. I just noticed Ian's reply above.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

I just got back from one-to-one training at my local Apple Store. We compared playback of the video that Julien provided the link to (vimeo.com/58912692), on one of the store's iMac's (with Lion) and my iMac (with Snow Leopard). In both cases, we played the video with the HTML5 player in Safari. When played on the store's iMac, we did not see the aforementioned gamma drops at 0:03" also at 0:57". When played on my iMac, we saw them, as I had already seen them when playing the video at home.

Also, the trainer suggested comparing metadata in my original uploaded 720p video, and a downloaded copy of Vimeo's 720p encode. He pointed out that Quicktime Player 10's Inspector shows Millions of colors on my original, and Unknown on Vimeo's encode.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

Dear Vimeo Staff: Are you still working on this? Will you be posting an update here? Thanks.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry for not getting back to your last post. The scenario you described unfortunately makes it sound like the issue is with your iMac as I too have not been able to replicate this issue. Are you still only experiencing this with that specific video?

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

I have repeatedly seen the issue that Julien Widmer describes in his above post, so it is not only my video that has an issue.

Did you try replicating the issue on a Mac computer with Snow Leopard? (I am using Version 10.6.8.) And/or a Mac computer using 32 bit architecture rather than 64 bit architecture?

I have shown the issue to two different one-to-one trainers at the Apple Store. Granted, I bring my iMac into the store for the training, and we have seen the issue only on my iMac. It's going to be really difficult for me to test the issue on another Mac computer with Snow Leopard, as all the Mac computers in any Apple Store are obviously going to have only the latest operating system.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Okay, thanks for clarifying. But generally, videos are playing fine, correct? We'll keep this information in mind with our next player push.

JAM Works

JAM Works Plus

Ian, I think it is a problem that Vimeo needs to fix. Two trainers at the Apple Store agree with me. I've put using Vimeo on hold, and will see whether it is fixed in the future.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Okay, sorry for the inconvenience that this is causing you. As I mentioned above, I hope that our next player push can address this issue.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.