Patrick Foley

Patrick Foley Plus

Immediately after installing Windows 8, the Vimeo app displays

"We're sorry, we're having trouble connecting to Vimeo. Would you like to try again?"

I presume the problem is that I haven't entered my login info yet, but it doesn't give me time to enter it.

I had previously installed on a different Windows 8 machine - I wonder if this only shows up on the second install (no longer have access to the first machine, so I can't tell you).

Also, Windows Live Photo Gallery isn't working, either. It doesn't let me complete the Authorization process. Wonder if it's a similar problem.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Patrick, are you running Windows 8 on Surface RT, Surface Pro, or on a regular ol' desktop?

Patrick Foley

Patrick Foley Plus

Windows 8 (non-touch). Although the issue appears to have gone away now (did you change something)?

Now that I can get in, I see that I can't upload .mts files, so the Windows 8 app doesn't work for me (I'm a plus member, so I can upload larger files). Oh well.

On my last machine, I used Windows Live Photo Gallery, and it worked very well. Unfortunately, on this machine (desktop of Windows 8 machine), it's not letting me authorize the app.

The web upload isn't ideal for me, because I upload a lot of small videos at once to archive and share my son's gymnastics meets. The order that they get uploaded in matters to me (makes it easier to create albums).

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Patrick, we made no changes since your initial post. Hopefully whatever was preventing your login has gone away permanently!

I believe that .mts files not uploading through the Modern/Metro app is a limitation of Metro. Regardless, I'd recommend compressing your video according to our Compression Guidelines (linked below) first before uploading to Vimeo; an .mp4 or .wmv file should be able to be uploaded using the Windows 8 app.

If you still can't upload with the Windows 8 app or Live Photo Gallery, try exporting to your Desktop and then uploading to the site instead: vimeo.com/upload

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/compression

Patrick Foley

Patrick Foley Plus

Oh, c'mon - don't blame Microsoft! Uploading .mts files or any other file type is NOT a limitation of Windows Store apps (formerly known as Metro). More than likely, there are a couple of lines in your code that look something like this (this is JavaScript - .NET would look a bit different):

var filePicker = new Windows.Storage.Pickers.FileOpenPicker();
filePicker.fileTypeFilter.replaceAll(["*"]);

Someone probably set the filter to include *.mp4, *.wmv, etc. and just left out .mts. The real solution is quite probably to add .mts files into that filter. Please pass the limitation on to the dev team so they can fix it at some point.

Live Photo Gallery is working again, so I'll continue to use that for now.

I would love it if the Vimeo Windows Store app were more than just a toy. You just updated the Windows Phone app, and it's now quite great (includes My Albums, My Channels, etc.) - I hope you do the same to the Windows Store app soon!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hey Patrick, I've clarified with our dev team and .mts files were excluded from the allowed file types using the app. We'll consider adding .mts as an allowed file type, however we HIGHLY recommend compressing and converting the file on your end before uploading, according to our Compression Guidelines.

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/compression

Patrick Foley

Patrick Foley Plus

I'm trying to reply, but I keep just getting a red background ... if there's a size limitation for a comment, it would be nice to know about it earlier (you know, before actually typing up a detailed comment).

Patrick Foley

Patrick Foley Plus

How can you recommend that, Tommy, without understanding my use case?

The entire reason that I'm using Vimeo is because I'm optimizing my process for the shortest path from filming to sharing (and archiving). Paying for Plus is a great value for me, because I'll be uploading about 4 gigs of videos after each of 10 gymnastics meets throughout the year.

The fact that I'm archiving the highest-quality originals on Vimeo is a key part of the value prop for me. Assuming that I'll be doing this for the next several years (and want to leave the vidoes there), Vimeo is a much better value for me than Dropbox or something similar. But uploading the originals is KEY to my process.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Understand that we recommend following our Compression Guidelines because the majority of our users upload video to Vimeo intending to have them viewed on the site, not to only use Vimeo as a file hosting service. Compressing video helps minimize the bandwidth needed to upload and transfer a video file as it bounces around our transcoding infrastructure, reduces overall server load, and helps us optimize our transcoders. Additionally, when done correctly, compressing video will not reduce the overall quality of the video, it will just make the file smaller while keeping an acceptable quality.

Patrick Foley

Patrick Foley Plus

I do understand, but that meets your needs, not mine. Still, I left my output settings at 720p, precisely because I think I would be wasting your bandwidth to do 1080p. But because I'm optimizing for my time, I'm never going to compress files before uploading them.

I do share videos directly on Vimeo, and I love it for that ... but recognize that if you didn't offer me archiving, I would just use YouTube, which has less friction for my audience, especially on mobile devices. Archiving (and optimizing my time from shoot to share) is why I'm gladly paying for Plus.

I understand that I'm not a "majority" user, but I'm still a customer, and a fan, and I think I'm operating quite comfortably within the terms of service. I find myself bristling at your suggestion that I use the service the way others use it, instead of the way that works great for me. If you don't like the way I'm using it, then change your terms or price me out. Otherwise, please engage with me on my terms.

Patrick Foley

Patrick Foley Plus

By the way, to be clear, it's the time and effort of converting that I am adamant about avoiding. If you guys converted to a compressed but still 1080p 30fps, downloadable format, that would be an acceptable "archive" for me. Yes, you'd still pay for the bandwidth in, but at least you wouldn't be paying for as much storage over the years. I'd be totally cool with that.

Recognize that I'd also be willing to pay probably twice as much to keep my workflow. I REALLY don't want to spend time converting files. You could always charge people like me an additional premium for not converting our files. It's totally worth it for me.

Patrick Foley

Patrick Foley Plus

Last thing - if your goal is to get rid of people like me because we don't fit the profile of the community you're trying to build (a reasonable goal), then I would suggest simply not allowing upload of .mts files. That would cause me to look elsewhere (probably a combination of Dropbox, custom code, and YouTube). I hope you don't, but that's a reasonable way to get rid of the riffraff, if that's your goal.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We have no intention to push anyone out of the community. In the meantime, to upload .mts files you'll need to use a web browser instead of the Win8 app. Our dev team is looking into adding .mts file type compatibility with a future update.

Regarding your comment, "If you guys converted to a compressed but still 1080p 30fps, downloadable format, that would be an acceptable "archive" for me." if you upload 1080p video and then later select 1080p in Video Files, you can make the transcoded 1080p video downloadable. Take a look here for some guidance:

vimeo.com/help/faq/hd#what_happens_if_i_upload_1920_x_1080_footage
f.cl.ly/items/2A0Y0o0u1D1k1o2s3g03/download_newvimeo.jpg

Patrick Foley

Patrick Foley Plus

(full disclosure - I just left Microsoft, where I was a Windows 8 technical evangelist)

While I'm at it, something to look at for the original odd behavior I was experiencing - I wonder if they were caching my login information to roaming storage via Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.current.roamingSettings. If so, I might have been caught in a loop where perhaps some of the necessary data to log in was retrieved (perhaps just a flag that an account exists?) but not all of it - might want to double-check the error handling in that section of code. I'd recommend reviewing blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsappdev/archive/2012/07/17/roaming-your-app-data.aspx.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.