Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

UPDATE: March 19, 2013

The changes that were recently made to our Advanced Uploader seem to have resolved most of the issues our users have been experiencing. Hooray! We'll be locking down this thread, but feel free to report any other uploading issues you may be experiencing here: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:16738

Carry on, friends!

====

UPDATE: March 18, 2013

Good news, everyone! Our developers have made some significant tweaks to our Advanced Uploader, and most issues with stalled uploads should now be resolved. If you continue to experience stalled uploads, please post below. Be sure to include as much detail as possible about your issue, so we can look into it further!

Thanks friends!

====

UPDATE: March 15, 2013

Thanks to all for your continued patience!

Our developers have been hard at work on this issue, and have made serious progress — but we're not 100% there yet. A fix should be in place within a matter of days. Please keep checking back for the latest updates!

====

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Some users have been reporting stalled uploads recently, and our developers are currently looking into it. The issue seems to be especially prevalent for users in Safari 6.

If your uploads are stalling (meaning they start, reach a certain percentage, and then seem to hang there indefinitely), please post here with following information:

1. At what point does the upload stall (what percentage)?
2. Does your upload stall at the same percentage each time?
3. Does it stall when using a different browser (such as Firefox or Chrome)? Let us know which browsers you've tried.

**If you're experiencing an uploading issue different from what is described above, please post here: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:16738

Thank you for the additional information! We'll follow up with you until your uploads are progressing without a hitch.

Harvest Bible Chapel Waterloo

Harvest Bible Chapel Waterloo PRO

Yes - this is exactly what is happening to us. Safari 6.0.2. We have successfully uploaded over 50 files using the correct compression guidelines. This weeks file is 1.82Gb, and it stalls at "2%"(about 40MB-yet this isn't actually 2% of 1.8Gb) repeatedly this week. This is about the 5th time trying to upload again. Same stall point every time. Will try Firefox right now and let you know....

Harvest Bible Chapel Waterloo

Harvest Bible Chapel Waterloo PRO

FireFox 19.0.2 appears to be working fine so far.... 70MB - 4% and counting... where we usually can't use FireFox because it typically freezes - whereas Safari has been trouble free 99% of the time. Still going.... no stalling so far...

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. We're passing your information along to our developers.

Patrick Masse

Patrick Masse Plus

Question 1 : anywhere between not starting at all and 35%
Question 2 : not at all
Question 3 : I'm using SAFARI and MAC OSX version 10.7.5 on a MAC BOOK PRO RETINA

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Patrick, thanks for the feedback. We're passing your information along to our developers.

NEOKINO

NEOKINO Plus

I have been experiencing the same issues all day, with safari 6.0.2.
I tried all day to upload a 100Mo 720p video. Uploading really started once, but got stucked at 5% forever.
So I'm going to try with firefox.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. We're passing your information along to our developers. Please let us know how Firefox works out!

NEOKINO

NEOKINO Plus

Firefox worked great, so it really seems to be a safari issue.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Thanks for the information! It's really helpful — we're working on it!

Ashley Murphy

Ashley Murphy

Same problem here! Stall a no certain percent! I am using the newest version of Safari.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Ashley, thanks for the feedback. We're passing your information along to our developers. If you have a chance to try another browser, please let us know how that works out.

C2productions

C2productions Plus

1. when you click upload file nothing changes on % bar
2. never starts
3. using ie 8, will try something else...appears problem with any brower, from reading other post.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. Just to be clear, your upload is consistently stalling at the words "Upload starting"?

Let us know how another browser works out, thanks!

DC Digital

DC Digital PRO

I'm on a mac Safari 6.0.2. It just stalls from the start...UPLOAD STARTING but nothing more happens.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, thanks for the feedback! We're passing your information along to our developers. If you have a chance to try another browser, please let us know how that works out.

Rui Grilo

Rui Grilo Plus

Hi! The upload was stalling at 88% yesterday. I've just tried again with Safari 6.0.2 and it worked fine: ~80KBps avg upload speed and it completed successfully.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Rui, thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, Safari 6.0.2 does not consistently stall for you during uploads? Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't?

DC Digital

DC Digital PRO

Okay so the upload starts at least now. It seems to be hung up at 9%. I am on a Mac using Safari 6.0.2. Total file size is 846mb. So is there a fix time estimate? Thanks.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, unfortunately I can't give you an estimate at this time, but I can assure you that our developers are working hard on resolving this issue. Thanks again!

The Youth Cartel

The Youth Cartel PRO

Basically, after I switched to Chrome I was able to upload videos normally.

1. It stalled whenever it felt like it. Usually between 40-70%.
2. Nope. Random I tell ya. :)
3. Nope, apparently Chrome is the official browser of Vimeo.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. We're passing your information along to our developers.

Dennis Ly

Dennis Ly

1. At what point does the upload stall (what percentage)?: Starting to 90%
2. Does your upload stall at the same percentage each time?: No, sometimes won't start at all!
3. Does it stall when using a different browser (such as Firefox or Chrome)? Let us know which browsers you've tried.: Trying FireFox now and it seems like it is running great.

2011 iMac OSX 10.8
Safari 6.0.1

Link: vimeo.com/61688381

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Dennis, thanks for the feedback. We're passing your information along to our developers.

Philippe Deguent

Philippe Deguent Plus

Hello,
I have this problem too. Uploading begins then stop. It can remain blocked during all night! Percentage reached vary from 2% to 82%. This time I tried to upload since yesterday afternoon and I am still trying now.
Browser is Safari 6.0.2.
I am a plus user.
Video has been compressed following your guidelines with Compressor 4.0.6

Link: vimeo.com/61696068

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Philippe, thanks for the feedback. We're passing your information along to our developers.

Just to clarify, does Safari 6.0.2 stall every time you try to use it, or just most of the time? Also, if you have a chance to try another browser, please let us know how that works out.

Philippe Deguent

Philippe Deguent Plus

Hi Zena,
Safari stall most of the time (99% of the time). I tried Google Chrome (version 25.0.1364.172) for the first time this afternoon and it worked immediately and the upload speed was also better. But that was a one time try! I hope it will always work like that, but I also hope you could fix something with Safari.

Link: vimeo.com/61716473

New Vision Productions

New Vision Productions PRO

yes, a real pain! It seems to be completely intermittent i.e. sometimes it won't start, other times it won't go past 25-30%. I've been trying to upload a very important film for a client for over 24 hours now, without joy. I am a PRO user running safari 6.0.2, film was mp4 made in quicktime. PLEASE RESPOND and please fix this problem.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Just to clarify, does Safari 6.0.2 stall every time you try to use it, or just most of the time? Also, if you have a chance to try another browser, please let us know how that works out. Thanks!

New Vision Productions

Hi Zena, yes it stalls every single time. I have tried to use a PC and same thing, won't even start uploading...
thx, Nik

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Thanks for the clarification, Nik. We'll get to the bottom of it.

Rhomany

Rhomany PRO

1. Anywhere between 11%, 13%, 33% (stuck overnight), 35% and once it didn't start at all.
2. As above, no.
3. Safari v6.0.2 and Chrome v25.0.1364.172 on OS 10.7.5. Haven't tried Firefox yet, but I'm about to.

Last week (Thursday & Friday) I had similar issues with files between 300gb and 1.5gb HD MP4s, but after a false start I restarted my browser and it worked fine. This week's is 1.5gb and has yet to get past 1/3 upload. One of my failed uploads is here if that helps at all. vimeo.com/61673828/settings, though Im not sure if you can access things that way?

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. We're passing your information along to our developers. If you have a chance to try out Firefox, let us know how that works out!

George Schellenger

George Schellenger PRO

ahhhh - I found in another forum that it appears to be Safari 6.0.2 .

You may want to make this thread more visible so we know what's going on... I just wasted 90 minutes troubleshooting this.

Really bad today.. nothing completes in Safari 6.0.2
Switching over to Chrome (which is not a great browser)

22%
36.56MB of 168.92MB (113.88KB/s) / 19:50 Remaining

11%
/ 19.06MB of 168.92MB (104.23KB/s) / 24:32 Remaining

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi George, thanks for the feedback. We're passing your information along to our developers. If you have a chance to try out Chrome, let us know how that works out!

Rhomany

Rhomany PRO

OK, retried Google before I have to resort to installing Firefox. and it is incredibly slow (current guestimate is anywhere between 180 and 300+ minutes) but so far *touches wood* it's working. I have others to upload so I'm going to try Firefox and Opera as well.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, thanks for testing that out! Please let us know if the upload completes successfully without stalling.

Rhomany

Rhomany PRO

Stuck at 24%. Have had success with Opera though (see below)

Paul Kingsley

Paul Kingsley

Using a Mac, 10.7/safari 6.02, never got any upload at all yesterday on a 225MB or 8MB .mov. When I uploaded directly from quicktime, worked just fine.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Paul, thanks for the information! If you have a second, check out the questions at the top of the forum and pass that info along to us — this will help us get to the bottom of the issue. Thanks!

Rhomany

Rhomany PRO

Google chrome, fail. Stuck at 24%, estimated remaining time 786 minutes, Yay.
Firefox didn't even start.

BUT HOORAH! Temporary solution. Use Opera! 1.56gb took 4 minutes to begin, estimated time 120minutes, actual 104 minutes to upload with no stalling.
I have Version 12.13 Build 1734

George Schellenger

George Schellenger PRO

Well now it seems that Google Chrome NO Longer works...

46% and Frozen...
/ 79.02MB of 172.84MB (417.75KB/s) / 03:50 Remaining

hmmmm Opera here I come I guess....

Help.....

George Schellenger

George Schellenger PRO

From wasting a day with this.. here's what I've found out...

At least for now, don't bother with Safari 6 - use Chrome - here's my system:

MAC - 10.8.2
Chrome - Version 26.0.1410.12 beta

Before you start your upload -- clear the cache - and then start (Chrome hung at least once because the cache wasn't clear).
It's jittery... but at least it worked.... Good luck out there.

Rhomany

Rhomany PRO

I now have a 100% success rate with Opera, though it can take up to 10minutes to begin.

C2productions

C2productions Plus

Okay, using Firefox video uploaded!! 2.5GB upload time - 5hours?

Limelight Studios

Limelight Studios Plus

Stuck at 11%. This is the 4th time trying to upload a file that's only 186mb's. Client is waiting and I can't send the preview. Please fix. Tired of this always happening.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

HI there, thanks for the information. Does your upload always stall at 11%, regardless of the file you are uploading?

Limelight Studios

Limelight Studios Plus

No it varies. The last time was 11%. A couple times it went all the way but didn't convert.

New Vision Productions

Hi Zena, Is there any progress on this problem yet? Here we are 24 hours in and I haven't heard anything from Vimeo? There's not a lot of point in being a PRO user if I can't upload when I need to!!! :(

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, thanks for checking in! Our developers have made serious progress on this issue, but we're not 100% there yet. Thanks for your continued patience!

George Schellenger

George Schellenger PRO

I've been a long time user of Vimeo (at least in internet years) and push a lot of my friends and clients to use this service.

Up till a few days ago it's been flawless.

Can you reveal what went wrong? and when things will be back on track?

Thank you in advance. A loyal Vimeo user.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi George, unfortunately we can't give you a precise ETA on this issue, but the fix should be coming very soon! Things will break from time to time, but rest assured we're always on the case!

Stephen Marsh

Stephen Marsh Plus

had one video upload under 200mb, uploaded on the 2nd try on safari 6.0.2.

had another video upload above 500mb, stalled and had to cancel multiple times at different percentages (80% and 51% to name two). tried reducing the file size and disabling all sleep mode/screensaver functions, made no difference.

eventually it worked in firefox on first try.

Link: vimeo.com/61847660

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Thanks for the information, Christopher. I'm passing it along!

Geoff Holt

Geoff Holt

im using safari 6.0 and it keeps stalling at the outset at 0% then gets stuck saying preparing to upload. but in my videos it shows an empty video.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Thanks for the information, Christopher. I'm passing it along!

www.babyboom.pl

www.babyboom.pl PRO

I've had the same problems. I've tried uploading multiple videos (5) and 2 of them uploaded correctly, while 3 hanged at different points (but always below 20%). I moved to dropbox uploading and found this methid much better... Safari 6.0.2.

New Vision Productions

Zena,
ANOTHER 24 hours passes with no communication from Vimeo... VERY POOR I'm afraid...
Why have we not heard from you?
thanks, Nik

Actualitatea irl

Actualitatea irl Plus

Please, please, PLEASE ! Leave the "Basic uploader" available. It's working! (or it was, for it's gone now :-( ). I know that you are trying to improve your website, but don't make it worse, as it was working just fine before. It ain't broken, so don't fix it! But if you really want to update it, fine, but leave the old version on as well for the people who really need to upload stuff on a regular basis and have paid for being able to do so. Otherwise I will just start looking into other available, more reliable options. Thanks.

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

We're working on a fix now, and stalled uploads should be improved within the next few days!

Dominic Plaza

Dominic Plaza

1. 0%, Wont start.
2. Yes.
3. Works with Chrome.

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Thanks for this information, I'm passing it along!

Accordion Films

Accordion Films PRO

Tried to upload an H.264 five-minute video via Safari 6.0.2 and never got passed the Upload Starting prompt. Stayed that way for hours. Just went to Google Chrome and uploaded it in five minutes.

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

IPP

IPP Plus

Just stalled at 50%. Trying with Chrome.

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

IBLiber TV

IBLiber TV Plus

I agree with Actualitatea irl!! Leave the Basic Uploader there plz! It worked fine until you mess up again! There is a lot of places in the world that don't have a decent, stable internet connection!! And why not even consider FTP anyway?? I don't know why Vimeo always seems to kill every upload option we can use (like Desktop uploader) and leave only 1 or 3 options available, (web, Dropbox and smartphones) that in the end proves to be the ones worse for a lot of people! This is bad, don't you realize that? That's my opinion Vimeo folks, don't get me wrong, but the more options available the better for everyone, including people like us stuck with poor internet service like us here in Brazil.

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Thanks for your feedback, we hope to have a fix in place within the next few days!

Vincent Gaultier

Vincent Gaultier

I say this issue is beyond logic. I tried with 2 different browsers (Chrome and Firefox) many times without managing to upload a video (stayed stalled at random percentage). Then, I don't know why, it finally worked with Chrome...???
This was after I had removed automatic share with Facebook. Here is my supposition: the share always started before the uploading was over, and friends were trying to watch the video during the uploading. Could this be the reason of stalled uploads? People trying to access a video not yet uploaded...
Hope your team will solve this! Good luck with that! :)

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Simon Willis

Simon Willis Plus

I tried three different videos and two different machines this past week and all failed using Safari 6.0.2 I hadn't discovered this thread at thats stage.

1. At what point does the upload stall (what percentage)? Either doesn't start or 34%
2. Does your upload stall at the same percentage each time? Twice at 34%
3. Does it stall when using a different browser (such as Firefox or Chrome)? Let us know which browsers you've tried.

Upload worked with Firefox 18.0.1

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Glad to hear you were able to upload through Firefox. Thanks for providing this information, Simon! I'll pass it on to my team.

Kevin Stern

Kevin Stern

Hi ! I uploaded a video a few days ago with no problems. I tried to replace the video and when the countdown finishes for the queue, it does nothing. It's stuck just saying that my video will be uploaded momentarily but nothing is happening. Please help me ! :(

Nylon Walnut

Nylon Walnut Plus

movies uploaded on mac and pc viewed in in safari and chrome on mac and pc. both stalling - oops broken messages even when fully loaded but paused or replayed in sections. not good for taking notes as i have to for my work. and v poor for clients who we are trying to persuade to switch to vimeo from you know who. and bad for us - we appear to be giving poor advice. when Vimeo fails it reflects badly on us all.

try the above on movie below.

Link: vimeo.com/61732943

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.