Associate Minimovies

Associate Minimovies PRO

Hi.
I'm uploading WMV files to my Vimeo Pro account. The WMVs play back fine on all PC's and mac's when NOT played through Vimeo. However, when uploaded to Vimeo, the first half a second of audio is a very loud hiss. Everything is fine after that. This only happens with WMV files.

As the file plays fine on the local machines NOT in Vimeo, I don't know what could be happening once it's uploaded. I've tried a variety of render settings but WMV persists to be a problem; uploading other file types of the same video are ok. Do you know why this would be happening please?
The audio codec is WM Audio, Stereo, 16bit, 44100 sample rate. Video codec is VC-1.

Thanks.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you please link me to the video you are referring to?

Associate Minimovies

Associate Minimovies PRO

Here's an example I've just uploaded. I suggest you don't wear earphones as the noise is very loud.
vimeo.com/73933154

As mentioned, played back locally on mac and pc using a variety of players doesn't have the audio glitch at the start. It's only when played through Vimeo that the static/white noise at the start can be heard.

Mark

Mark Staff

I'm going to run this back through our transcoders and see if that helps at all.

Associate Minimovies

Associate Minimovies PRO

OK. Will this provide a fix for WMV uploading for us? I only uploaded this as a test so you can see what I'm talking about so will be deleted once you've used it.
I don't know if this is of use at all, but I initially uploaded only the first 3 seconds of this video as a test as I didn't want to spend the time encoded and uploaded the whole thing, but the static noise wasn't present to the extent it is on the full length video here.

Mark

Mark Staff

I'd suggest you compress your video according to our recommended compression settings.

Associate Minimovies

Associate Minimovies PRO

Hi Mark, it's a good suggestion and one which works fine. I'd like to stick to that and normally would. Unfortunately I want the Download button feature to work for our company employees, the majority of whom only have Windows Media Player as standard with no administrator rights to install Quicktime. I'm ok on my mac with full admin rights so MP4 isn't an issue, everyone else has no way of playing MP4 if they download the file. It has to be WMV hence my trying to upload that file type. For instance, the videos on our Vimeo channel are downloaded and put into presentations, and everyone requires it WMV.
Is there any way to make WMV available as the download please? Or a fix for the static noise glitch after uploading WMVs? Thanks.

Mark

Mark Staff

I'll have an encoding engineer try and figure out what's causing the audio glitch in this particular case.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, it sounds like there may be an issue with your original video file's audio data, which is causing the hiss to appear after Vimeo's conversion. I would suggest that you try re-exporting this WMV file from whichever program you used to create it, then try re-uploading this fresh version to Vimeo.

Of course, if possible, it's always best to convert your video to our Compression Guidelines (vimeo.com/help/compression) before uploading to Vimeo. Doing so will eliminate most conversion issues on our end.

If the new upload still exhibits the hiss noise, please contact us using the form at vimeo.com/help/contact so that we can troubleshoot in greater detail. Thank you!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.