vertsVideoLog

vertsVideoLog

I just signed up for Vimeo today and want to use it for my video logs. One of the most important features that I need is the ability to have the videos automatically post to Facebook when I upload them (usually via the mobile Android app). I uploaded a video today, waited for it to process, and it has been finished for a while but it's still not on Facebook. When I go to Connected Apps -> Facebook -> Settings, I get a box at the bottom that says "Would you like to add your 1 public videos to your Facebook Timeline?". I click "Add my videos to Facebook", and then it says "Thanks! Your videos are being added to your Facebook Timeline now.", but it doesn't seem to actually do anything. Whenever I return to those settings, it just offers the same option.

The "Upload a video" action is checked, by the way.

Is this an intended limitation, a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you try unconnecting and reconnecting your FB account?

vertsVideoLog

vertsVideoLog

Not sure why I didn't think of trying that already. Anyway, I just tried but when I clicked "Disconnect" I kept getting a page that said:

Technical Difficulties
Whoops! We are having some technical difficulties, please try again in a minute.

I suppose I'll have to try again in a little while. I'll post again with the results then. Thank you.

vertsVideoLog

vertsVideoLog

Okay. I managed to get Facebook disconnected and reconnected. I uploaded a new test video to see if it posts but I have to wait 45 minutes before it starts processing (the waiting time sure does hinder troubleshooting).

In the meantime, I went to the settings box for the Facebook connection and clicked the button for "Would you like to add your 2 public videos to your Facebook Timeline?"... and I didn't notice anything on Facebook... until...

I did notice just now that my 2nd video did make it to Facebook. However it wasn't on my Timeline or visible in my news feed. I only saw it by going to my recent activity. I noticed it's defaulting to "Allow on Timeline" when it should be "Shown on Timeline". I refreshed recent activity and noticed the new upload is showing there as well even though it hasn't started processing yet... and also defaulting only to "Allow on Timeline".

How do I get it to "Show on Timeline" by default?

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there, That's a good question. We'll check in with our developers and get back to you on that.

vertsVideoLog

vertsVideoLog

I appreciate that a lot.

I had the same problem with YouTube. The videos would share to Facebook, but they would not show up on the Timeline because "Show on Timeline" was never set as default. I researched how to do this and never found a solution, however I found some information that might help you guys. I found an article about how to get it to "Show on Timeline" by default when posting things through Pinterest. What I found peculiar was that the option for this was set on the Pinterest side, not the Facebook side. This leads me to believe that this is a setting that Facebook expects the external applications to provide since I never found any way to do this on the Facebook end.

I'm not sure, but it may be possible that Vimeo needs to add this option in the Facebook connection settings in order for this to work.

I'll do what I can to help you guys figure this out, so if you need me to check or test anything, let me know.

vertsVideoLog

vertsVideoLog

Side question: My most recent test upload has finally processed and I can now watch it through my Facebook activity log, but the thumbnail on Facebook remains as the colored bars rather than a frame from the video itself. Is this going to happen every time?

vertsVideoLog

vertsVideoLog

What URL should I enter into the debugger? I tried the Vimeo video URL but it doesn't actually change what Facebook is using as the thumbnail in the activity log... and I can't debug Facebook URLs.

EDIT: I suppose it might make sense to deal with this once we figure out how to get the videos to actually show up on my Timeline and Newsfeed... once that happens I'll see how the thumbnails appear there and if they need to be fixed.

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

The debugger clears the cached version of the thumbnail on Facebook's end, so the proper thumb would show up if you manually posted it. Sounds like it's not re-caching the version that has already been added to your timeline though.

More soon :)

vertsVideoLog

vertsVideoLog

Just to clarify, it's not actually on my Timeline. It's only in the activity log... although if it were on my Timeline, we'd have the same issue with the thumbnail.

vertsVideoLog

vertsVideoLog

Okay. No worries. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page and that I still need to find a way to get them to go onto my Timeline by default. To clarify further, I want to make sure that they are on the news feed so that my friends see them, but I think that's part of getting them on the Timeline.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

We are currently looking into this issue. Thank you for your patience.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Were you able to resolve the issue by entering the URLs into the Facebook Debugger? What issue are you still experiencing at this time? Thank you.

vertsVideoLog

vertsVideoLog

The Facebook Debugger did not work. However, that is of little concern (that was only a side issue). My primary issue is with my videos are not appearing on my Timeline or News Feed. Please review my previous posts in this thread for details.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.