Dave S.

Dave S.

I've been exporting my videos at 1280x720 and recently my videos have been showing up tiny with scaling off...turning that feature on makes the video look like crap.

I am trying to figure out what exactly I am doing wrong here...

The videos work just fine on Youtube but show up strange here at Vimeo...

For an example, see "Looking For Ideas". Both are full screen but look strange. When I click the scale button to turn that feature off the scale goes down to what apprears to be 40%.

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

It is not tiny here. It's full 720p for your latest video. So it works fine for me.

Dave S.

Dave S.

its full screen for me but thats with scaling on...turning it off causes the image to scale down to about 40%...

So...now the question is, what could be causing the problem on my end?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

can you post the url of the video?

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

This is normal. It means that your monitor is really high resolution, and so when you are turning off full screen scaling, it will only use a 1280x720 rendering window inside the overall full screen black window.

All you have to do if you do not like this feature, is to turn on scaling. Having Vimeo giving you the ability yo turn on/off scaling when in full screen is very good, because scaling requires additional CPU power, and when you force resizing like this you lose quality too.

So I think you just don't understand the feature. This is not a bug.

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

There is absolutely no scaling problem there either. You really don't understand how Vimeo works.

That specific video was *NOT* re-encoded in 720p HD, but in just 504 pixels wide, which is the size that Vimeo re-encodes ALL non-HD videos. So when you have "scaling OFF", all you are going to see is 504 pixels wide of a video -- even when in full screen mode.

As I explained above, this is a feature, not a bug. If you don't like it, all you have to do is click the "scaling is ON" button on the upper right corner to force the resizing of the clip.

Dave S.

Dave S.

ok so its normal...I'll live with that.
I am only exporting at 1280x720 and shooting with a 640x48 cam in "Fake" wide screen mode.

However, why do my older videos come out fine and don't change in size when I hit the scale button?
All the new videos ive uploaded shrink when I turn scaling off...

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

Because your older videos were re-encoded in 1280x720 HD resolution, while your latest ones were re-encoded by Vimeo at just 504 pixels wide (non-HD). The reason for this is because Vimeo now only allows 1 HD re-encoding per week to non-paying users. So again, what you see is normal. You need to become a PLUS member ($60 per year) to get HD re-encodings for all your HD uploads, uploaded at any time.

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

If you don't have the money for it, you need to wait 7 days before you re-upload an HD file, in order to get that much desired HD re-encoding.

Dave S.

Dave S.

ok it seems the 7 day wait period was what I ran into.

I use Youtube more than vimeo and so I don't see any point in signing up. I also plan on starting a website soon so I will be hosting all my videos on that server.

Thanks for the help everyone

Bradley Wheeler

Bradley Wheeler

hello, I hope I am in the right place. Just signed up for the Vimeo plus service.

My video is nice and tack sharp...only problem is...it is a little squat...enough to make people look shorter and wider...and buildings too.

I uploaded at the recommended 640 x 480...I'm not really tech savvy so I'm not following 100% of the discussion above...should I render my video?

Any way to get rid of the squat aspect? I'm piping the video into my own architecture website so I'd like to get it proportionally correct. Any advice? Thanks!

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

There are tutorials on this subforum, on the sticky thread. Just use them.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.