Mark

Mark Staff

Do you have any browser add-ons or plugins running?

rize

rize

I unchecked all extensions in Chrome and unchecked the hardware accelerator.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you link me to one of the embedded videos you are having trouble playing in Chrome? Also, just to be clear, is this issue only occurring in Chrome?

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

I was able to play these videos. What error message are you receiving? What exactly happens when you attempt to play the video?

PRIMA Digital Video

PRIMA Digital Video PRO

Basically, nothing. When the page first loads, there is the normal thumbnail, but when you hit play nothing happens except the thumbnail disappears and the screen turns to black. No playing, buffering. Works fine in IE, but I use Chrome as my default browser.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Are you running any add-ons or plugins with Chrome?

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you check to make sure that you have third-party cookies enabled in Chrome? If you don't, try enabling them and take another look. Thanks!

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

I was able to play these videos. What error message are you receiving? What exactly happens when you attempt to play the video?

Mike Holden

Mike Holden

The embedded clips won't work for me either (mac and chrome) but if you click the Vemio link in the bottom corner of the page they will open in a new tab on the Vemiio site

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

What error message are you receiving? What exactly happens when you attempt to play the video?

J French

J French

Same here. Mac OS X (10.9.2) Chrome (34.0.1847.131)
Embedded videos don't play, but the same videos work fine on vimeo.com.

J French

J French

Oh, and the behavior is:
Click play button, player screen goes black (placeholder image disappears), play button toggles to pause button, nothing else happens.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you check to make sure that you have third-party cookies enabled in Chrome? If you don't, try enabling them and take another look. Thanks!

Kathy Cunningham

Kathy Cunningham PRO

I am having exactly the same problem.

Same time frame, started a couple weeks ago. Click play and the "pause" icon appears, the video frame goes black, and nothing happens.

This is affecting embedded videos only, they play fine on the Vimeo site... but embedded videos are the ones I watch most often. AND embedded videos are what I use on MY website for clients, so I am not happy about this.

Clearing the cache etc, turning off extensions, hardware acceleration... as stated by the other users above... none of these steps fix the problem.

I tried Safari and Firefox... the embedded videos are playing fine there. So this appears to be a Chrome-specific issue. But Chrome is my default and preferred browser. I am on Mac, everything is newest releases.

Prime Inc.

Prime Inc. PRO

I'm having this very problem with a lot of my embedded videos within Android. YouTube, JWPlayer, and the vimeo.com/m site work fine, but none of my embedded videos work. I've received a large number of phone calls and support calls about this issue.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

LiquidPixels Inc

LiquidPixels Inc PRO

Thanks for the tip Derek. The video does play in Chrome after third-party cookies are enabled.

Is it possible to have the embedded player handle disabled third-party cookies better? Maybe a warning message to the user that the player cannot play because third-party cookies are not enabled with a link to instructions on how to enable third-party cookies?

Kathy Cunningham

Kathy Cunningham PRO

Derek, I tried your workaround of enabling third-party cookies. This solved the problem for me too.

I am puzzled as to why this problem spontaneously appeared a couple weeks ago. I have *always* had Chrome set to block third-party cookies. Given the posts above, this is evidently a "new" problem for many other users too.

Also, although I am glad to have this tip as a short-term fix, in the long term I do not want be required to keep third-party cookies enabled.

Is this issue with third-party cookies an intentional choice by Vimeo or is this just a temporary bug? I don't like having to tell my clients to turn off security features on their browser just so they can play my video content.

I chose Vimeo over YouTube for providing my video content because I felt like Vimeo offered better security features. And less obnoxious advertising and tracking. If this is an intentional choice by Vimeo IMO it undermines of your competitive advantages.

Meghan Oretsky

Meghan Oretsky Support

Hi Kathy, thanks for your inquiry. I will ask one of our developers to provide some insight as why we now ask that users enable third-party cookies. In the meantime, thanks for your patience!

Royboy510

Royboy510

Because of this issue, embedding within a Android webview is also not working. Is there a workaround at the moment for the issue? I got the same error codes as LiquidPixels and already tried to setAcceptCookie(true)
Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark Staff

We're working on this, should be fixed soon.

Bluewave

Bluewave

If the option of enabling third-party cookies doesn't resolve these Javascript errors issue (I've always had "Block third-party cookies and site data" unticked but still had the errors), I have another possible solution, at least for those using Windows 7 64-bit and Chrome.

When I reinstalled Chrome recently I found YouTube was always using its HTML5 player despite opting out here: youtube.com/html5. I wanted to watch videos in their highest resolution and for some reason the HTML5 player doesn't allow this, so I had to force the player to use Chrome's PepperFlash player. After Googling I found that renaming the file ffmpegsumo.dll (found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\34.0.1847.131 on my machine) would force Flash to be used.

However, it turns out Vimeo needs ffmpegsumo.dll to play its videos and will not default to Flash if this file has been renamed or can't be found. Make sure your Chrome installation has this file or is properly named .dll

Silvy Panet-Raymond

Silvy Panet-Raymond Plus

Enabled third-party cookies on Safari. No result when trying to view embedded videos. Just see ''Use original player " and turning wheel.
You said you would get an anwer from your developers as to why we have to enable third-party cookies...when will you publish this answer?

Forever Studios

Forever Studios PRO

Having the same problem with embeds coming up as a black screen. Sure, I can do a workaround for it to play on my computer but what about the thousands of visitors to the websites where our embeds appear? This is a serious and urgent problem, especially for your paying PRO users who are depending on your embed feature for business. This thread was opened over a month ago.

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there, There are many factors that impact video playback, and not all reports in this thread are based on the same issue. To be clear, does enabling third party cookies resolve the issue for you? Is your issue only occurring in Chrome?

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hi there, the issue you are having is separate from the original issue, which has been resolved.

Can you try the following:

1. In your browser, completely clear your cache and cookies, then restart your browser
2. If that does not fix the issue, please open up Chrome and right-click >> Inspect Element and click the Network tab
3. Once that is open, open a page where you're having an issue with a Vimeo player not loading
4. Once the page is fully loaded, right-click again in the console at the bottom and choose "Save as HAR with content"
5. Send us an email at support at vimeo dot com with that file attached so that we can take a closer look

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.