Alex Burnett

Alex Burnett

Hi, i finally convinced myself into buying a Canon HF100 and i love it. There is just one problem I got a new sony laptop with Adobe Premier Elements 4 and can't figure out a reasonable and easy way to get the files from the hf100 to it to edit. I've been reading the forums for about the last hour or so and now i seem more confused than before. I would like to know if there is a way to edit the files in the original format or if I am going to have to convert them before importing into premier elements, and if so what is the easiest way to do it.
thanks

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

You camera is an AVCHD one. No version of Premiere supports AVCHD.

So I suggest you ask for your money back and buy Sony Vegas Platinum 9 (this new version comes out in a few days/weeks, not sure), which supports AVCHD perfectly. Version 8.0d supports AVCHD too, but the version 9 is so close that it makes sense to wait for it.

Alex Burnett

Alex Burnett

If i could do that I would, but i ordered my laptop online and there was like a special offer on premier and photoshop elements and they come pre-installed when you order it.

PromotionTree.com

PromotionTree.com Plus

Hi,

I managed to edit .m2ts files from sony camcorder on a vaio laptop in Premiere CS3.

vimeo.com/1274532

I installed sony edit component to get it to work (comes with vaio laptops).

Also and I dont know why yet or if it makes a difference to quality but I had to change the file extension to .mts to get Premiere to import the file, I am waiting for sony support to get back to me on this point.

Hope his helps.

Eugenia Loli

Eugenia Loli Plus

If you didn't save the m2ts files with that app to a lossless codec to edit with Premiere, then you lost considerable quality.

Alex Burnett

Alex Burnett

I will try the sony edit component and see if that works, but the files off the memory card are all ready .mts and they wont work in premier.

Alex Burnett

Alex Burnett

Do you have XP or Vista? I have vista and can not find Edit Components anywhere and dont have a cd for it.

PromotionTree.com

PromotionTree.com Plus

Hi,

Sont edit components wasnt installed by default on my pc when it arrived (vista), I installed it using the vaio recovery center (think this in the control panel).

I found this on a sony site:

------------------

VAIO Edit Components 6.4 Upgrade Program - 6.4.00.13090_EN_GB

This update provides following functionality:

Support for Premiere Elements 4
Importing and exporting AVCHD for 1920x1080 and High Profile
Support for new Sony MPEG2 Encode setting
High quality SD to HD Upconversion
Exporting Click to Disc Editor Project File

--------------------

so you may wish to ensure you have the latest update of 'edit components'. However as I found you cannot install an update without a version of edit component installed first.

I cannot see any quality issues with using sony edit components, as it does not appear to process the files, but add functionality to premiere to allow it to process the files so any quality depends on premiere. (I am happy to be corrected and be advised on any quality issues).

vimeo.com/1274532 is edited this way. There is a loss of quality on vimeo over the mov file on my pc but am happy :)

With sony edit components you should also be able to edit a proxy file while rendering original files for faster editing, although I had not tried this functionality yet. Too much to do and so litlle time!

Hope any of the above helps.

Alex Burnett

Alex Burnett

Thanks for the info. I could never find sony edit components in vaio recovery center, but i finally found a download online for version 6.4. It was for another model but it still seems to work just fine.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.