dogsyhog

dogsyhog

I have a philips net connected blu ray player which plays vimeo HD just fine on my kitchen TV, a PC which plays vimeo HD just fine, but if I call up HD videos on my apple TV it just plays them in low resolution. It occasionally starts them in HD but after a short while it changes over to lower resolution. 3rd gen apple TV with no hacking. I've seen other discussions of this but they didn't show it as being resolved. Last time I posted this comment the reply said that someone would look at it. No one did and the topic was locked due to inactivity. How come you can lock a topic due to your own inactivity?

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there,

You're always welcome to start a new thread after a previous thread gets locked.

On Monday I will ask a staff member who is more familiar with Apple TV than myself to post in this thread.

Many services that stream video from the Internet automatically adjust resolution depending on the speed of your Web connection to optimize performance. It is possible that your Apple TV is switching to SD based on such a calculation. However, as I mentioned, I am not as familiar with Apple TV as other members of my team, so you can expect an additional response to this thread on Monday.

dogsyhog

dogsyhog

Thanks for the response, but I see no additional response from anyone else. apple TV is quite conservative with buffering of HD based on what it thinks the connection speed is, but it doesn't adjust the resolution on any other HD sources I have viewed.

Mark

Mark Staff

It's based on your connection speed - unfortunately we have ZERO control over how this works so we can't change any of those variables.

dogsyhog

dogsyhog

Is this just related to apple TV? I ask this because my net connected blu ray player in the kitchen does vimeo HD just fine.

dogsyhog

dogsyhog

Have just done a test and I have 5mb/s, 46ms ping. Is that not fast enough?

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

It's a combination of hardware and connection speed. Like Mark said, unfortunately, we have no control over this. Glad to hear it's working on your Blu Ray player, though.

Carlos

Carlos Plus

It does not work in Apple TV, the videos are in low resolution and look horrible, the Apple TV is connected via Ethernet, 1080P movies from Itunes or a home server are fine, videos from YouTube are fine too, I see a lot of closed threads about this without a solution to the issue.

There is no setting to force HD streaming in the Apple TV app.

Please fix it.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Carlos, can you reset your router and/or modem and see if that affects playback?

Carlos

Carlos Plus

Tommy, Ian thank you for the speedy reply but I see locked posts about this from over one year, I'm a plus members with tons of videos inside my account and it is vital for the service to work as intended.

The router "Airport Extreme" has been reset and I'm on a 50/MB connection on Comcast, no problems with any other service on APple TV, just videos from Vimeo look extremely bad and poor resolution.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Are there any specific videos that aren't looking good, or is this with all videos? The video being served to the Apple TV adjusts quality depending on your bandwidth; we really don't have much control over that.

Carlos

Carlos Plus

Tommy, the whole Vimeo service looks bad, not hd quality at all. It does not matter if they are my videos or another HD videos from the main feed.

Vimeo is the only service on the 3 Apple TVs in my house that looks bad, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc all they look superb but Vimeo is the only one with bad quality, I have 2 Apple TV 2nd generation and one Apple Tv 3rd generation all with ethernet.

This is not new, it is happening since last year and I've posted in another thread but I never got any answers and got tired of waiting, I'm not using the service at all now in ATV as it looks bad but as a Plus member and uploading a bunch of videos per week I'll like to see this issue resolved to enjoy my videos on TV.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

As it was said earlier in this thread, the video quality varies depending on the bandwidth available to the end user. We have no control over that, and we have no way of replicating your specific setup or error on our end. I apologize for any inconvenience, but unfortunately there's nothing we can do from here.

Carlos

Carlos Plus

It does not make sense at all, I'm sitting in front of the Apple TV with my iPhone and iPad and I open your Vimeo app, load a video and play via Airplay wireless to the Apple TV and the quality perfect.

I open your Vimeo app in the Apple TV with a wired ethernet on Comcast 50/MB service and the videos look horrible.

This is not correct and I feel that it is just a common canned replied ....."the video quality varies depending on the bandwidth available to the end user. ".....

On iPad or iPhone connecting on Wireless via Airport Extreme playing a video on your Vimeo iOS app and doing Airplay to Apple TV will result in a perfect HD (ish) video.

Playing the same video on your Vimeo app on an ethernet wired Apple TV will result in a bad pixelated version of the video.

I do not care who's fault is (Apple or yours) but this should be resolved.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Apple TV uses a different protocol than iOS or AirPlay to play back videos from Vimeo. The former uses HLS (j.mp/YpCI2f ) that downloads and switches between SD and HD versions on-the-fly, while the latter progressively downloads a pre-selected SD or HD version of the clip to play. The way that HLS handles playback is out of our hands.

Out of curiosity though, are you using OpenDNS or Google DNS?

USAntigoon

USAntigoon Plus

I had a similar issue where all You Tube and DailyMotion videos are streaming in HD very nicely and Vimeo ( even with the same video clip) is not buffering properly.. My hunch is that Vimeo is using several servers for streaming and this depends on the routing established by your DNS servers..if one of these servers is down, a rerouting is encapsulated and all of this can influence the bandwidth.. Keep in mind a "ping" speed test to your IPS means nothing, even at 50 Mbps..We need to be able to ping the Vimeo server which alas, we cannot do...as this feature seems to be blocked at their servers,

Carlos

Carlos Plus

@USAntigoon thank you for your technical explanation but this is happening in different households in different countries (USA and Overseas), the Apple TV app is not good but you can Airplay from your iOS device and get good quality ( read my post above, I just replied to Tommy). This happened one year ago on Apple TV 2 too but I got tired of waiting for a fix and forgot about Vimeo on the ATV.

John McGrath

John McGrath Plus

I get HD for 3/4 seconds then it dumbs back to SD, I had to change all my client viewing sessions to YouTube but I get copyright bullshit when screening with original and licensed pending soundtracks so you tube won't play them on ATV this us why I pay for my plus account it is very F***king frustrating }: /

David Ramos

David Ramos

Same problem here. Play on HD for a fraction of a second then turn to SD. All other services like: HULU, Youtube, Netflix on the same Apple TV look great.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Does this happen on all videos or just certain videos from Vimeo?

David Ramos

David Ramos

Tommy, thanks for you fast repply. Not all videos have this problem but most of them, including videos I uploaded. They look good on my PC but low res on my Apple TV. I love Vimeo, I actually buyed the Apple TV because PS3 doesn't have an app for Vimeo.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Can you link me to any specific videos? Keep in mind that there are a number of factors out of our control between you and the Vimeo that can cause the Apple TV to drop the video quality to SD levels.

David Ramos

David Ramos

I understand but, why just some of them are afected and why Netflix, youtube or HULU doesn't drop to SD quality using the same Apple TV?
Here are the links of some of my videos
vimeo.com/85841030
vimeo.com/82548570
Thanks for your help.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Those are showing up in HD on my end on Apple TV. Have you tried resetting your router and/or cable modem? Also, restarting your Apple TV may help. Go to Settings > General > Restart to do so.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.