Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Ricardo, your videos are playing fine for me. Can you make sure that your friend has an updated version of Flash installed?

Pascal

Pascal PRO

Hi just to jump in on this too - do you have to have flash installed? I thought you served up flash or if not available html5. Have I totally misunderstood something? Cheers

Mark

Mark Staff

If you have Safari or Chrome you shouldn't need flash, no.

Pascal

Pascal PRO

Thanks for the quick response Mark - but you do for IE then I presume? Is this going to be addressed at some point? Win 8/IE10 seems to not have flash pre-installed.

Mark

Mark Staff

Our player does not work in IE unless flash is installed, sorry. We're looking into supporting it in the future.

Auto Ads Masters

Auto Ads Masters

Pascal, Win8/IE10 comes with flash onboard. The problem is in Microsoft. They ( again ) create browser who does not recognize MIME types (!) Go to your server setup and define manually MIME TYPES for .swf and .cab as application/x-shockwave-flash and your embedded videos will work like crazy since ;)
our clips are ok now, go for the url and see for yourself...

Link: localadsmasters.com

Gillian Sore

Gillian Sore

Hello is it possible for Vimeo to put an error message on embedded videos encouraging people to install the latest flash? For visitors to our website using IE it will not be clear why there is a blank space where a video should be.

Mark

Mark Staff

Our developers say that we do display an error.

Gillian Sore

Gillian Sore

Not on my site, what needs to be done?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

We unfortunately will have to work on this from our side. Thanks for letting us know.

Gillian Sore

Gillian Sore

Thank you, can you please keep me updated with this problem? Just so I know I dont need to pester you :) Thanks for the much appreciated reply!

SecurityCoverage

SecurityCoverage PRO

I'm also having the same issues with the videos displayed on our site, could you keep me updates as well? Thanks!

Mark

Mark Staff

I'm sorry but we're not going to be able to send out individual notifications when/if this is resolved.

LKAB

LKAB PRO

We've got the same problem. ie. the one that the embedded video player doesn't load in IE10 on Windows 8.

We've been using the same embed code from Vimeo for about a year and a half now and we've experienced no problems in browsers so far, but now the reports has started coming in from our users that occationaly (and intermittently) the player doesn't load at all in IE10 on the various pages where we deploy the video player.

We're using proper IFRAME-code, and the same instance that works at one point, comes up "blank" the next time we load. It does *not* seem to be Flash related, for as far as we can tell, since we get an "empty" (0 bytes) HTTP package in return from the "src-url" in the iframe instead of the VIMEO-generated player HTML page that is supposed to load there.

An example where one or more (not predictable which ones) of the players comes up blank in IE10 in a seemingly random fasion is lkab.com/Karriar/Filmarkiv/

Please advice!

Link: lkab.com/Karriar/Filmarkiv/

LKAB

LKAB PRO

... and to be clear: we have the same problem in IE10 (intermittently getting a blank screen instead of the player code) until we manually reload the iframe contents using IE:s right click menu) when there's only *one* player on the page.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry for the trouble. We've been hearing a few reports about issues with Windows 8 that we are currently investigating. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of them soon.

Michael McQuade

Michael McQuade

I think this issues extends beyond just embedded video. I, too, am using IE10 on Win8. I'm having these issues consistently:

- on the "feed" or "discovery" pages of vimeo.com I can click on a play button, but the video window goes black and nothing plays. This occurs about 60% of the time.
- If I go to a videos page (on vimeo.com), no play controls appear at all. After I've refreshed the page, play controls are visible and the video plays fine (note: this is WITHOUT any compatibility mode on)
- on my own personal site (using Wordpress), embedded vimeo videos do not appear at all. If I turn compatibility mode on, all videos appear and play normally. I've tested my site with Chrome and it works perfectly.

I'm no developer, so I can't tell if the issue is with how Vimeo serves up and displays videos, or how IE10 renders the page. Maybe it's somewhere in the middle.

Cobalt Astra

Cobalt Astra PRO

I would also like to be in the loop on this discussion. I'm experiencing the same problem as described above. Black screen fails to load videos on IE10 Windows 8. Compatibility mode does work. There is no error message displayed so it worries me that visitors won't know what to do to troubleshoot the issue. Also it will sometimes work if I clear the browser cache and refresh the page. I have multiple videos on one screen using the example api provided from vimeo.

example page: volunteermark.com/cobalt/strategic-human-resources/testimonials

Link: volunteermark.com/cobalt/strategic-human-resources/testimonials

Alain Depocas

Alain Depocas

I have a blank screen using Chrome on Windows 8 when using Vimeo's web site. But I can see Vimeo's video when embedded within Facebook... I noticed that the embedded videos use Flash. How can I force Chrome to use Flash on Vimeo's web site ?

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

Underneath any Vimeo video you will see an option to switch to he flash player or html player.

Rich Cannon

Rich Cannon Plus

Yes this issue is CRITICAL. Vimeo consistently crashing iE10 on Windows 8

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hey Rich, We're currently looking into these Windows 8 compatibility issues and treating it as a top priority. Let us know if you have any information to add to what has already been reported.

Kenneth Teo

Kenneth Teo

Hi guys, just to let you all know. Video on Vimeo won't play on my Win8 IE10 set up. I can see the screenshot (thumbnail) but there's no "play" button to start the video. Also, it plays fine in "couch mode".

big ugly SNOW

big ugly SNOW

This issue has been known for months and now leaves me and other Vimeo members little choice but to migrate videos to YouTube or host our videos elsewhere. This is super unacceptable considering Vimeo had ample time to get ready for Windows 8 & IE10 (MSDN subscribers/developers received the FINAL versions of W8 & IE10 long before the October 26 public release to prevent exactly this type of scenario). As a paid member I expect an extension on my Plus membership for each month this has been an issue because the sole purpose of buying a membership was to enable HD embedding on my website(s) and neither SD nor HD functionality currently exists.Anyone can easily convert videos for HTML5 playback on all browsers and host them on Amazon's cloud, so don't expect me to renew my membership if this isn't rectified within the next few days. I'll also be advising my clients who are Plus and Pro members to do the same (which puts money in my pocket since I'll be the one handling it).
FAIL

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

This issue was resolved earlier this week, are you still seeing otherwise?

big ugly SNOW

big ugly SNOW

I see a black iframe on both Windows Phone 8 and Surface tablet, so no the issue is not resolved.
On the Vimeo site I'm asked to update Flash

big ugly SNOW

big ugly SNOW

The issue is also evident when using the windows phone emulator if you don't have an in-house development phone.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Ah, I understand now. We've resolved the issue with playback in the 'desktop' version Windows 8, however playback in Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT (Surface) will take more work due to some incompatibilities in IE10 (there have been huge strides in making IE standards compliant, but we still need to make IE-specific changes to make it work on non x86/x64 IE-running devices).

In the meantime, on WinRT and in Windows Phone 8, I recommend using the Vimeo app from the Marketplace. Search for Vimeo on Surface RT, or visit the WP8 store here: j.mp/vimeowp

Our apologies for any inconvenience, and we hope to have embedding working on WinRT/WP8 soon.

big ugly SNOW

big ugly SNOW

The Vimeo App doesn't solve the issue of not being able to view embedded videos on my blog nor my clients websites. I'm well aware of the app working, but that's not a solution nor workaround. My earlier comment remains the same, my clients and I are paying for a service which doesn't work. Solving the issue immediately is priority #1, retaining these unsatisfied customers is priority #2. I'm currently converting videos to ogg (Already got the mp4s) and implementing html5 players as I write this, so the migration to Amazon's cloud and YouTube is already in the works. FAIL

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We're working on this as quickly as possible. Keep in mind that we're in the very early days of the WinRT and WP8 platforms, so issues like this are inevitable, and are only affecting a smaller (but admittedly growing) portion of overall users.

big ugly SNOW

big ugly SNOW

That's exactly why, if you're building solutions for all platforms, you should have an MSDN license so you're not caught with your pants down like you are now. SDK's have been out for both long before they were released to the public. This is why those licenses exist. There is no excuse for your FAIL(period). Did YouTube skip a beat? NO. Why? Because they knew there was a good chance there would be issues and thus took steps which could only be acknowledge by using their MSDN license which gave them access to the new OSs final versions before Joe Public had access to it. If you didn't want to cough up the cash for an MSDN license then you should have paid attention to the Release Candidates which started rolling out for a year ago. Beta or not, they would have kept you in the game... Come on guys, this is technology and if you're not ahead of the curve you'll forever be playing catch-up and in damage control.

big ugly SNOW

big ugly SNOW

I'd be willing to give Vimeo some leniency if the service was not monetized, but you're generating revenue by charging people like me and for that your reputation and future growth demands you avoid these issues by taking the proper steps. Which you have NOT done. You owe more than words and apologies. And some of the feedback (by Vimeo staff) in other posts regarding this issue have been downright disrespectful to your customers which is even more appalling than the time it's taking you to remedy the situation.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Changes don't happen overnight, and especially not early Sunday morning. We'll have this fixed soon.

big ugly SNOW

big ugly SNOW

I didn't expect you to have it fixed on a Sunday.. I expect though in the future Vimeo takes a proactive approach to "keeping up with the Jones'". I sat by for over a month without adding my 2 cents and you've just seen how I react when an issue as serious as this takes this long to still not be rectified. i and many others have every right to be pissed at Vimeo. Your sarcasm speaks volumes.

Gerard van Eldik

Gerard van Eldik PRO

I agree to big ugly SNOW. We have exactly the same problems. We will start to move the videos to YouTube today. Sorry about that.

Accelerated Learning Lab

Accelerated Learning Lab

There are other threads about this problem going back months. The Vimeo staff have said that fixing this rather major issue is not a priority for them unfortunately.

They say their videos are encoded in H264, which IE9+10 can play natively, but instead of doing that they default to playing flash, and if flash isn't installed they show a blank screen instead of a prompt to download flash.

I have no idea why they haven't either made HTML5 video the default (which it should be anyway) or written the few lines of javascript required to detect flash and display an error message if it is not installed. They should in fact do both of these things.

big ugly SNOW

big ugly SNOW

Hey Tommy Penner, Changes don't happen at all on Vimeo as far as I can tell... What's the status dude? My membership is up for renewal on the 7th and it's looking like I'll be canceling before then since you guys can't seem to figure this one out. How hard is it to read the following and apply some simple UA and Feature Detection to push HTML5 Video instead of Flash? Not hard at all, unless you choose not to even bother allocating any time to it.
It's quite obvious from the amount of time it's taken with no resolution, that Vimeo is NOT attempting to address this issue at all.
WOW! Talk about losing faith in a brand you once respected.

Link: blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2012/11/15/adapting-your-webkit-optimized-site-for-internet-explorer-10.asp

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there, Very sorry for the continued inconvenience. As Tommy mentioned, we have pushed out some fixes already. We're working on addressing all of the lingering issues and hope to have a comprehensive solution soon. Please email us via vimeo.com/help/contact if you'd like to have a more in-depth back and forth about the issue. Choose "other issues" and say "please assign to Darnell" in the body of your message. Thank you for bearing with us.

Dmitry Semenov

Dmitry Semenov

I'm developer and noticed that my script that loads videos dynamically doesn't work in ie10. After some digging I've found that issue is related to Vimeo, as YouTube works correctly.

To repeat this go to any site in ie10 and dynamically append Vimeo.com iframe.

For example go to jquery.com

and run this code
--------------------
jQuery('body').prepend('PUT_VIMEO_IFRAME_CODE_HERE');
--------------------

It'll show you black player.

Scan123

Scan123 PRO

Hey, I'm having the same problem with ie 10. I just checked big ugly snow's site and sure enough, the problem still exists there. You guys need to fix this ASAP. I'm a pro member because I want my vids to play across all browsers, all devices. What am I paying for?

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi there, Thank you for the additional report. We have already pushed out some fixes for this and we're working hard on resolving on the remaining issues. It's a major priority for us and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please email us via vimeo.com/help/contact if you'd like to have a more in-depth back and forth about the issue. Choose "other issues" and say "please assign to Darnell" in the body of your message. Thank you for bearing with us.

jake

jake

Interesting... my posting was removed from this thread and I can no longer access my account. What gives? Does Vimeo censor forums that don't rub them the right way?

O'Daniel Designs

O'Daniel Designs PRO

Still experiencing IE10 display issues in Windows 8 (blank screen randomly where the video should appear; on refresh the video displays...sometimes).I have been patient, but I do need some sort of ECD that this issue will be resolved. The first 3 videos are the ones that should display.

Link: peaksportsandspinept.com/videos/

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry for the trouble. We're still working on this and hope to have this resolved it soon.

O'Daniel Designs

O'Daniel Designs PRO

Thanks - I have switched the videos over to use the YouTube versions for now. I'm hoping that you resolve this issue soon, because I am going to need to make a decision on whether to renew my Vimeo Pro account, and my customer's videos will need to reliably display in IE 10.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

I completely understand and apologize for the tough spot this has put you in.

O'Daniel Designs

O'Daniel Designs PRO

Thanks Ian - I hope that you and your team are able to resolve this soon :)

big ugly SNOW

big ugly SNOW

Well I've canceled my Plus account and have advised the same to my clients using plus & pro (AWS now serves their files and I created custom HTML5 Video players for their websites). This issue is obviously not getting any real attention despite months of supposedly "working on it" replies from Vimeo staff.
I couldn't be more disappointed with Vimeo for how they've handled (or more accurately NOT handled) this issue.
#FAIL

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Thank you for your valuable input. Keep in mind that there are thousands upon thousands of embedded Vimeo players out on the web, so we have to be very very careful and deliberate with the code we push to make sure that extending support to one platform doesn't kill support to another. Changes are coming (and indeed are taking place; not everything is user-facing) and we appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Photobacks, LLC

Photobacks, LLC PRO

Any time-frame you expect the fix? I'm annoyed with Microsoft on this one, but just wanted to get the latest. Thank you.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.