Ropa Vieja Films

Ropa Vieja Films Plus

Hello,

I have a private membership channel with a number of videos. I want to share access with select users, not as moderators.

Lots of problems I can't figure out:

- I have tried sharing access via Vimeo automated email but recipients keep getting "sorry this channel is private" message upon clicking the link from the email received. Before this I have tried the following:

- On the channels settings / membership tab, I have membership set to "only moderators and people I choose." This is what I want.

- Then, when I select "add or remove users" I enter the email of the person I want to share the video with, it seems to add, but when I close the pop up it doesn't save.

- Also tried making this person a Moderator. Unlike the add users option, it saves Moderator's info. I save. But then I send invite to the same moderator address and the same "sorry this channel is private" comes up.

Running Mac with Firefox 16.0.2 and Safari 5.1.7 (vimeo likes safari better)

Thanks,
RVF

Link: vimeo.com/channels/ropaviejafilms

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there,

I see the issue you are describing. It appears that this time, you can only add Moderators/allow access to view the Channel to people who have accounts with Vimeo. Thus, adding an email address and clicking "Add" will not work.

This appears to be a bug with the system. I will make a note of it and pass it on to our developers. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Ropa Vieja Films

Ropa Vieja Films Plus

Thanks Zena, To clarify I would add that I also can't get any added moderator to view the channel. When I send the automated email to give access, the channel link, when opened by the newly appointed Moderator, leads to a page that says "sorry this channel is private."

I need to show this channel to some people soon. Any ideas on how to get around this?

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

While we look into it, have the person who needs to be a Moderator create a Vimeo account. Then you should be able to successfully give him access.

Ropa Vieja Films

Ropa Vieja Films Plus

So only vimeo account holders can be added as users and moderators? I understood moderators should be required to be vimeo account holders, but is the "add users" function in the membership settings tab for a channel also designated for users as existing vimeo members?

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

It looks like that is how it things are currently set up. I have to check whether this is a bug and non-members should be allowed to be added, or whether the wording on the site needs to change so that it is clear that only Vimeo members are permitted. Sorry for the inconvenience. For now, it appears only members can be added in both places.

Ropa Vieja Films

Ropa Vieja Films Plus

Ok, it would be great to confirm the configuration of private channel setups for inviting non-moderators for access. The language on the Vimeo FAQ is not clear at all about this.

My issue is that I have a number of uploaded videos I need to keep private. Rather than sending people individual links with passwords, the private channel setup seemed like a great fit, if only a bit complicated in requiring users to become vimeo account holders in order to gain basic, non-moderator access.

Non-vimeo account holders can access individual password protected vidoes if they have the passwords.

But I know that putting password protected videos onto publicly viewable channels disables password protection on the individually featured videos. I'd be happier to make my channel publicly accessible but retaining the password protected access to the individual featured videos.

I've bought a vimeo account for this purpose, so what do you recommend is the best way to proceed?

Thanks.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

I would suggest creating a password protected album. Add your public videos to this album, and users (both members and non-members) should be able to access the album using the password and view the videos contained within. You can learn more about how to create an album here: vimeo.com/help/faq/albums#create_album

I hope this works out for you, let me know if you have any more questions.

Ropa Vieja Films

Ropa Vieja Films Plus

Did some tests. Spreading my notes across 2 posts bc of word count limits. This is post 1 of 2.

- Added users (not moderators) to membership settings page of my private channel. Was then able to email them access info via the share button. This works. So indeed private access for a channel is limited to existing vimeo users. If I were to make a suggestion, vimeo should expand this capacity for access to anyone with an email address, especially for paying Vimeo Plus users.

- As per your suggestion, I made an album containing the same video content. As with the private channel, all content in the album (except for one clip) is password protected. Made channel public, but then when pulling it up only can see thumbnail for the single non-password protected clip. All other password protected clips are invisible - not showing up as thumbnails with "password" message overlay at top of image. I think this is also not best use of this feature. Should be able to see thumbs of all content.

Ropa Vieja Films

Ropa Vieja Films Plus

Post 2 of 2 (adding to previous due to word count limits).

- Made a password protected album, which is not viewable in vimeo without providing a direct link and password via share. This can go to anyone with an email (does not have to be vimeo user). Layout options not as nice as a channel. But all password protected videos are viewable as thumbnails, and are indicated as private on their thumbails. Clicking on each "private" video allows playback without additional password. I suppose this is ok, not having to type password on clip when it's already on a password protected album, but then it shouldn't say private on the thumbnail as that is confusing and may deter a viewer from attempting playback.

Ropa Vieja Films

Ropa Vieja Films Plus

Conclusion...

Conclusions:

- Private channel is good for layout and presentation but limiting as far as sharing only with vimeo users. Paying vimeo plus members should not face this limitation.

- Albums not as elegant for presentation as channels but allow access to non-vimeo users via email. But private clips on public albums are invisible (no thumbnails) and private clips on private albums show up with thumbnails saying they're private, but playback without additional password info entry required.

These features I strongly believe need reconsideration with my simple suggestions to make them more sensible and user friendly, again, especially for paying Vimeo Plus members.

Ropa Vieja Films

Ropa Vieja Films Plus

Finally, FAQ should be much more clear on the nuances of how sharing and private content are handled in Albums via Sharing so there is no confusion such as what I faced.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your feedback. We will definitely keep these in mind going forward.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.