Chuck Quinton

Chuck Quinton PRO

We have two users from Malyasia who are having trouble playing our videos. They load incredibly slowly, play choppy for a short period and then just skip to the end.

They have followed your suggestions for playback issues with no luck.

Is there just an issue with delivering videos to that part of the world?

Thanks,
Josh

Link: rotaryswing.com

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Okay. I'm still curious if this is happening in all browsers for them as well as if this is happening when using the Flash or the Html5 player. Can you ask them?

Chuck Quinton

Chuck Quinton PRO

I just emailed them to find out the browsers that didn't work.

Since the video is embedded (using your standard code), how can the user determine whether it is the HTML5 or Flash player?

Also, we don't change whatever the default is for the player if that makes a difference.

Last, I was wrong about their locations. One is in Malaysia, one is in Thailand.

Thanks,
Josh

Chuck Quinton

Chuck Quinton PRO

I must be missing something then. When I watch an embedded Vimeo video using Windows 7 and Google Chrome at the link below, I don't see any place where I can switch players.

Please explain where the link is to switch when watching embedded videos.

Link: rotaryswing.com/free-video-library/takeaway.php

Mark

Mark Staff

It's only on Vimeo.com, not on embedded players.

Chuck Quinton

Chuck Quinton PRO

I've commented twice that they are having issues with embedded videos. Why do you keep asking me to find out which type of video player they are using?

Mark

Mark Staff

You asked why you can't see the link to switch between players, and I told you the link is not present on embedded players.

Chuck Quinton

Chuck Quinton PRO

Seriously? I've been patient, but it's obvious you guys don't read my responses at all.

I had mentioned twice earlier that our users were watching embedded videos, and YOUR SUPPORT MAN IAN asked if they were using the HTML5 or Flash player.

By your answer, I can now conclude he never should have asked that based on the information I provided. That's why I was confused.

I'll get you the browser info he asked for (if our users respond), but does it help you determine what might be wrong now that you know that these users are watching embedded videos?

-Josh

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Josh, sorry for the confusion. The link is not present on embedded players. The link to switch between players is on the clip page. By choosing one or the other on a clip page, for instance: vimeo.com/56959566, it determines what player is used when viewing an embedded video.

Chuck Quinton

Chuck Quinton PRO

OK, we haven't changed whatever the default is for these videos. I'm guessing that means everyone is using the Flash player.

Here is feedback from the user who had trouble in Thailand:

"I have been using firefox ie and chrome all in their latest version. Problems appeared to be the same on all. However I noticed that vimeo was working almost okay very early in the morning (around 4:00am bkk time) but the rest of the day a nightmare."

The other user, in Malaysia, was using Mac/Safari.

Mark

Mark Staff

No, it's not a global setting. This is something each individual person can change. It is also browser dependent. HTML5 is not available in Firefox, but it is in Chrome.

Either way - we have no other reports of slow loading in Malaysia, so this seems to just be limited to these two people for some reason.

Chuck Quinton

Chuck Quinton PRO

I'm confused again --- how can each individual change this if the videos are embedded? They aren't seeing the "clip" page as Ian called it.

Just answer this: If the video being watched is embedded on our website, how is the player being used determined for the user?

Mark

Mark Staff

They can change their preference on Vimeo. If they go to a clip page, any clip page - they can change it there. In Chrome and Safari they'll default to HTML5 (with the option to switch on a clip page), any other browser it's Flash only.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.