Ron Vod

Ron Vod

According to my stats vimeo.com/25135641 is being played a lot even though it is private. How can this be. Can Vimeo be hacked?

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

Was this video ever public? And might the views be from those to whom you've given permission?

Tal Peleg

Tal Peleg Plus

Good thread; was Vimeo hacked alright? One of my vids is strictly only viewed by me (set to private with no permissions to anyone else). I used to have it on password, but it's been change to strictly private for a long time and yet recently it's increased views. Why? Is it because I am viewing it from other machines that I log into (such as ipad, iphone, etc') or is it because something got hacked?

Tal Peleg

Tal Peleg Plus

It went up today again. I removed it because there's a risk it might be hacked and downloaded. This has to be remedied. Why can't we see who is playing the videos?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry for the trouble. Is your video embedded somewhere? Can you link me to the video so that I can take a look at its stats and settings?

Tal Peleg

Tal Peleg Plus

I have already removed it. It was never embedded anywhere. It was work-in-progress I shared with a select few months ago. I later turned off privacy to "me only" and it has been that way for months. I did not allow embedding anywhere and not selectively, it was a private video. This isn't the first time it's happening, unfortunately. If you can look up the last video I deleted then perhaps this can help. I may not upload anything into Vimeo that's 100% strictly private, unless I know it was either a glitch or something harmless.

Thanks for looking into it Ian.

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

Hey Tal, unfortunately we won't be able to look into this specific case since the video and its data have already been deleted. But i can assure you that nothing is more important to us that the accuracy of our privacy settings. If you ever come across suspicious data in the future, please bring it to our attention right away. Meanwhile, we're going to take a look at the other reported case in this thread to make sure everything's working as it should

Tal Peleg

Tal Peleg Plus

Rebecca,

The views continued to increase today and I didn't want to take any risk of it being online anymore (hopefully it's not too late). More importantly, how can I tell who's watched my video other than geography and number stats. I hope it can be done under Vimeo Plus. This way I could assess if it could have been leaked or not.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry for the trouble. Unfortunately, we do not offer the ability to pinpoint specifically who has watched your video.

Tal Peleg

Tal Peleg Plus

One question I asked earlier was if the play counter goes up when I view my own strictly private video (not embedded anywhere) when I log in from different machines (like ipad, iphone, other computers).

This could be it, if so.

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

As long as you are logged in under your own account, the views should not be counting.

Ron Vod

Ron Vod

Rebecca, to answer your questions. This video once was public. Only one "follower" is on the list to see it but they would not be loading it 5l times. Ron

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

Ron, how long was the video public? Might the views have been from when it was public?

Ron Vod

Ron Vod

Rebecca, the stats are for this week. can you go to my stats page?? Ron

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Ron, if you could confirm with that viewer how many times he has viewed the video this week, that would be helpful. I'll check with our developers on Monday about how those plays from this week are showing up.

Ron Vod

Ron Vod

Zena, the one viewer I allow says that he has NEVER played it!! Also, the large number of plays for this video and the related ones in the album has always been surprisingly large. There is something fishy going on. Ron

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

That is so odd. I'm sorry about that, Ron. This is more likely to be a stats issue rather than a privacy one. I'm going to look into it.

Ron Vod

Ron Vod

Hi Ian,
The number of plays for this series of videos (see vimeo.com/album/1944147) has always been extradinarly hign compared to everything else on my site. Very suspicious! Especially for stuff from old Hi-8 tapes. Ron

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi Ron, Are you aware that anyone with access to that album would also have access to the private videos contained within it? Video's privacy settings also defer to the settings of any containers you place them in.

Ron Vod

Ron Vod

Hi Darnell, The album requirers a pass word which only one person has and he has not used it. ron

Ron Vod

Ron Vod

Hi again Darnell, look at the stats, someone is getting around the privacy settings. Ron

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi Ron, So sorry to belabor this, but it's very unlikely that someone is getting around our privacy settings. Are you positive that no one has shared the password to this album? As an experiment, would you be willing to remove vimeo.com/25135641 from the album temporarily and restrict the privacy settings on that video so that only you can see it? (Right now it's shared with one other person.) I'd be very curious to see if this stops the flow of traffic.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.