Train Online

Train Online PRO

HTML5 Player no longer works on Chrome for Android.

Now just shows a big play button in left bottom corner... When play is clicked, you can hear the audio begin, but the video does not play.

Tried on 2 separate websites.

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you take a screenshot, upload it to ge.tt and post the link back here? - Have you tried clearing your browser cache and cookies?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi George, unfortunately Chrome 25 (on desktop and mobile) broke some functionality around the site. We'll be making changes in the very near future to improve compatibility with Android and other mobile devices.

CCG

CCG PRO

I recently purchased a year subscription from vimeo and decided to test out a few videos on different android devices. Here are my result hope this helps.
Nexus 4 (rooted): Not able to play embedded HTMl5 video.
Galaxy Nexus (vrz stock): Able to play embedded HTML5 video. Although it takes a bit long to load videos.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We have some updates to our player coming in the very near future that will fix and improve compatibility with Android. Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

La Mancha Media

La Mancha Media PRO

I concur. Only audio playback on Nexus 4 running 4.2.2 in Chrome browser. I also tested Boat browser. The video plays back but in horizontal mode it keeps flashing every 2 seconds if I am hitting the view controls. Before vimeo was working great in Chrome on my Nexus 4. I'm not sure when it started this problem.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Unfortunately Chrome 25 (on desktop and mobile) broke some functionality around the site. We'll be making changes in the very near future to improve compatibility with Android and other mobile devices.

David

David PRO

The fix 'Disable hardware-accelerated video decode' works for now.

Please keep us updated on this one :)

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

That setting is with regards to Chrome 25 on the desktop; for Android 4+ users we'll be rolling out a fix in the near future. I apologize for any inconvenience.

All Because He Asked

All Because He Asked Plus

Thanks Tommy. Glad I found this thread but it's very frustrating. Any idea on "approx" when we should expect a fix so videos play correctly on Android devices using the Chrome Mobile Browser? It's a pain to have only the audio play for all videos. (I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S3)

Interestingly, using the Chrome Mobile Browser, videos do NOT work when you play them on the NON-MOBILE version of the vimeo page, but they do when you play them on the "mobile" version (eg. vimeo.com/m/#######) of the site while on the phone. The embedded videos must not be the mobile version because those never play correctly either (they play audio only).

Any idea on about when the "near future" will come to shore up your compatibility with Android? Days? Weeks? Months?

Thanks!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I can't comment on a definite date, but hopefully a couple of weeks. Cool changes and updates are coming :)

All Because He Asked

All Because He Asked Plus

Thanks Tommy. Looking forward to the issue being fixed. Cool changes are always welcome, but I'd hope that if you have a fix for something that's currently broken, its released immediately and not held off for one big release. I'm glad that you are on top of this issue and should have it resolved this month. Much appreciated.

woodworking

woodworking PRO

I know that you know but I am another Nexus 4 user disappointed not to be able to play Vimeo videos when they are embedded on other sites.

Please fix it soon!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.