Warner Vision

Warner Vision PRO

Hi,

I have a good broadband connection and have recently signed up to the Pro service, and have spent the last few days uploading my collection of work ready to display on a new web site under construction. But I'm now starting to regret it. I love the look of Vimeo, the portfolios are brilliant, but the playback speed and associated buffering is crazy slow! It's not my Mac, as I can load and playback YouTube and Zenfolio videos in full 1080p HD with no issues at all. But any Vimeo video just freezes every second and won't play well at all. Even if I pause the video it buffers so slow, that as a potential client I probably would have given up.

This has been happening for the last few days ever since I signed up to the Pro account.

Can you help or explain?

Thanks

Warner Vision

Warner Vision PRO

It's with either the Flash or HTML5 player. I have tried both Chrome and Safari browsers and the results are the same. Occasionally the videos will load well, at random, but more than 50% of the time the videos won't load or buffer in time - particularly in HD, but often in SD also. My Mac is connected by ethernet to my router. I have a a 12mb broadband connection. But on the same Mac in either browser, the same videos (I have duplicated most of my videos on YouTube as well as Vimeo - the videos being uploaded from the same MP4 files to both sites) they play perfectly well - in HD. I've also tried Zenfolio as a test, and they are playing perfectly well in HD too.

My intention was to migrate from YouTube to Vimeo (to have no ads and cleaner interface), and thus I paid the Vimeo Pro fee. But this is a great cause for concern. My worry if this happens to my potential customers when they go to play a video they will be turned off and look elsewhere.

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hi there, just wanted to check back and see if you are still getting slow load times during playback? Also, have you been able to try watching the videos from another location, just to see if you notice any difference is playback?

Warner Vision

Warner Vision PRO

Hi Andrew,

As it happens. in the last few days Vimeo has been behaving rather well. Nothing has changed in terms of my browser, equipment, software, programs running or connection - so why it's good now and not previously I don't know. So I'll just keep an eye on it and hope for the best.

Thank you.

Mark

Mark Staff

Nothing has changed on our end, but i'm glad it's working better for you.

Mark

Mark Staff

Yup - it uses your same internet bandwidth so that's absolutely possible.

Wolfgang Gaebler aka gogo6969

Wolfgang Gaebler aka gogo6969 Plus

I have the same problem on my new site - e.g. vidfame.com/portfolio/theia-couture-fall-2013/

I'm in NYC, I have a FIOS broadband connection, but it's often pretty impossible to watch the embedded videos on my site. It 's no problem to watch the same video at the same time on vimeo.com - and it was much better in the past on my other websites (e.g. gogo6969.com).

This has changed recently! Please help!

Link: vidfame.com/portfolio/theia-couture-fall-2013/

Bryan Turnbull

Bryan Turnbull

I am also having a similar problem. I am running Windows 8, IE 10 (fully patched) with a 12 mbs internet connection.

Playback is stuttering (stooping/starting) and buffering is extremely slow. This happens both when trying to play the embedded link in my website (hosted by Weebly) or when I try to play it from within Vimeo.

The video seems to take several seconds to start buffering, an then when the buffer is (approx.) 10 seconds, the video starts playing. However, the buffering rate is slower than the playback rate, and within 10 secs, playback stops while the buffer replenishes itself. ( I ran a speed test which confirmed my bandwidth at 13+mbs)

I do not have (nor do I want to install) Chrome or Firefox. I think IE is still have a 55% market share, so I need to make sure that the videos work for the majority of our 'customers'

Link: monroetown.com/2013-03-annual-town-meeting.html

Cameron Christopher

Cameron Christopher Staff

Gentlemen, I've got a few questions for you!

Are other videos loading for you?
Is the webpage itself slow to load?
Have you tried on the same device from another connection?
or another device elsewhere?

Bryan, for troubleshooting purposes, it's helpful to at least test in other browsers to see if it's a cross-platform problem!

Wolfgang Gaebler aka gogo6969

Wolfgang Gaebler aka gogo6969 Plus

>Are other videos loading for you?

Yes, videos from YouTube are loading without a problem: gogo6969.com/2010/03/10/winter-wonderland-canon-eos-7d-1080p/ - YT video at the end of the page!

>Is the webpage itself slow to load?

No!

>Have you tried on the same device from another connection?

Yes! Had my laptop with me in Germany!

>or another device elsewhere?

I've tried several other devices...

But the problem persists. Not every day in every hour, but more often than in the past...

When there are two videos on the same page like here (gogo6969.com/2010/03/10/winter-wonderland-canon-eos-7d-1080p/) and the vimeo video is not loading, but the YT video is loading without a problem, it seems to me that there is only one problem:

the vimeo server(s) is(are) too slow!

I love vimeo, but I'm sure that you have to fix this! This will become pretty annoying for every vimeo user sooner or later.

Link: gogo6969.com/2010/03/10/winter-wonderland-canon-eos-7d-1080p/

Chris Sallis

Chris Sallis

I am also experiencing EXTREMELY slow loading speeds for videos. I have an excellent internet connection, have tried Chrome and Firefox, and have tried the switch between Flash player and HTML5 player. Nothing works.

Cameron Christopher

Cameron Christopher Staff

Hey Chris, is this happening for all videos? Have you tried the same device in another location?

Chris Sallis

Chris Sallis

Yes this is happening for all videos, any location, any browser.

Cedric Dufour

Cedric Dufour

I am having this problem too. Mega slow!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Mark Staff

Please take a look here vimeo.com/help/faq/video#stuttering - In regards to step #5, please note that reporting this will not immediately effect playback. This can take many months, please report slow playback via those instructions every time you experience it.

Mark

Mark Staff

Please take a look here vimeo.com/help/faq/video#stuttering - In regards to step #5, please note that reporting this will not immediately effect playback. This can take many months, please report slow playback via those instructions every time you experience it.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.