The Big RD

The Big RD Plus

We have been trying to access my vimeo account through apple TV for the last few weeks and it just says "Vimeo is unavailable, please try again later"

We have tried turning it off and on again but no luck.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry about that. Can you try restoring your Apple TV to its factory settings?

Marc Princivalle

Marc Princivalle Plus

The same for me. I have just received my Apple TV. I tried to reset it but no more success...

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi Marc, Sorry you're not having any better luck. Our developers are continuing to look into this.

The Big RD

The Big RD Plus

We have tried resetting to factory settings, the problem is still occurring. Basically Vimeo works up until we log in, after we log in Vimeo just turns on and says problem accessing vimeo. I have tried deleting the app from my settings > apps page on the Vimeo website. This allows me to open the Vimeo app on my Apple TV.

It then shows that I am logged in, but if I select anything I get a 0auth error of some kind. The only way to get Vimeo to work from that point is if I restore the Apple TV back to factory settings.

If I sign out rather than sign back in at that stage it then just restarts the process.

Really frustrating as this only started occurring since we upgraded to Plus. Could that have something to do with it? Is there any way you can reset my settings? Would that make a difference.

Thanks Ian, really frustrating and hope you can help.

The Big RD

The Big RD Plus

Hi Ian, don't suppose you had a chance to do that for me?

Mark

Mark Staff

There are no settings for us to reset on our side. I'll try to look into this when we're back in the office tomorrow.

The Big RD

The Big RD Plus

Hi Mark, did you have a chance to have a look at this? Really frustrating that it's stopped working since we paid for the Vimeo Plus account.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Unfortunately the only way to resolve the oAuth error is to reset your Apple TV. To do so, on Apple TV choose Settings > General > Reset, and then click Reset All Settings. Note that this will log you out of all accounts on your device, including your Apple ID, so make sure you have your Apple Remote with you when you do so.

The Big RD

The Big RD Plus

Hi Tommy,

I have done this a number of times. I log in with my username and password and it simply says Vimeo is unavailable. If I delete the vimeo app from the settings it will allow me to open Vimeo again but I am now hit with the o auth error if I try to sign in at all. This is a loop I have been in over and over again. Please please help!!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Try this, in this order: Reset your Apple TV again to factor settings as I explained before. Once you've done that, don't log into or open the Vimeo app -- on your computer make sure you disconnect the Apple TV from vimeo.com/settings/apps. Once the device is disconnected from your account, open the Vimeo app and try logging in.

The Big RD

The Big RD Plus

Hi Tommy, I have done this precisely to the letter it has not fixed. When I follow these steps exactly I get to 'vimeo is unavailable, please try again later'.

This does not change, it has not changed, for over a week.

There is some error on our account since we became a Plus member. This is stopping us from logging in at all.

The only way to get rid of the 'vimeo is unavailable message' is if we delete the vimeo apple tv app. This allows us to open the Vimeo app. It then looks like we are signed in. But we are not because if you then click my videos it will give the o auth error. I have been in this loop now about 30 times. There must be something on my account that is wrong?? If this is going to continue to be the case I don't think I want to be a Vimeo plus account holder!

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Where are you physically located? To be clear, you never get to any of the menus, instead you see "Vimeo is unavailable" immediately after opening the app?

The Big RD

The Big RD Plus

Located in the UK.

To be clear:

If we load up Vimeo, input our username and password we receive the "Vimeo is unavailable".

It remains constantly unavailable unless we do the next step.

If we subsequently delete the Vimeo App from within Vimeo Settings using the Macbook then the Vimeo app will now open on the Apple TV. At the bottom it will say that we are logged in (email address will be there instead of 'sign in'). However, this appears to be untrue. As if we click any of the options like 'My Videos' or 'My Feed' we immediately get chucked to a 'Enter password screen'. Subsequently any entering of password fails with the oauth 401 error. (Almost certainly because we have deleted the Vimeo App from the Vimeo settings on the Macbook).

The only way to now reenter our username again is by doing a factory reset of the Apple TV.

I have now done this process roughly around 15 times (between myself and the other guys in the office).

What do you reckon?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I'll check in with our devs and see what's wrong. Can you use the Vimeo app when logged out?

Andrew Howe

Andrew Howe Plus

I found this thread as I had the same symptoms as The Big RD. I am also in the UK. The Vimeo app has always had a tendency to be "Unavailable" at times. I always put this down to timeouts due to my rural internet. A few retries usually sorted it and it was worth the hassle as its great when it works.
After upgrading to a plus account though and it was permanently unavailable. I had tried restarting the ATV but this hand not helped. I tried the Reset (just settings, not a restore) and this has worked for me. I did not change anything else. Going to the app after the reset it went straight in and then asked for my credentials when going into Watch Later which it accepted. I hope this is helpful

FFDC :: Jeffrey Holland

FFDC :: Jeffrey Holland Plus

I'm having the same problem, but in the US. Still getting the "Vimeo is unavailable" screen. I've tried everything listed here and in all orders. Still nothing works.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Do you get that error message immediately after opening the app, or are you able to get past that point?

FFDC :: Jeffrey Holland

FFDC :: Jeffrey Holland Plus

Usually I can at least open the app, then once I log in, it hangs up. But I just tried again, and I wasn't even logged in and it says unavailable now.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

And you already tried resetting the Apple TV to factory settings?

John Knowles

John Knowles

I just updated to AppleTV Software 5.2.1 and I'm now having the same issue as everyone; before this it was working fine.

1. Selected Vimeo on the AppleTV, it said "Vimeo is unavailable"
2. Deleted AppleTV app from my account on Vimeo.com
3. Vimeo can be accessed on ATV but I am not logged in
4. Entering password gives me '401 Unauthorized oath_token passed not valid or expired' error
5. Note: I cannot change the user account on ATV; when selecting 'Sign In' it only asks for password, there's no place to enter username. So it seems like I'm not completely signed out.

I haven't tried a reset but it doesn't seem to have helped others on here. hesitant to bother with it.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi John, the only way to recover from the "401 Unauthorized" error is to reset your Apple TV. This happens when you disconnect your Apple TV from your Vimeo account on the Vimeo settings page while you're still logged in on the device itself.

Once you've reset your Apple TV, try logging in again -- if you get the "Vimeo is unavailable" message, back out and try opening it again. If you're still unable to get into the Vimeo app, let me know.

Jason Kraynek

Jason Kraynek PRO

this issue is still unresolved? it's been like 5 months for most of us based on all the forums, resetting the device doesn't seem to be the issue

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We rolled out some changes on our backend servers last week that should have helped with the Apple TV issues. Are you still having any trouble?

Jason Kraynek

Jason Kraynek PRO

yes, first it couldn't activate on Apple TV saying it was unavailable
- i removed the app from vimeo.com, reset, then i got the app to load but i keep getting the 401 error when trying to login

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

The only way to recover from the 401 error is to reset your Apple TV (it's caused when you remove the app from vimeo.com while still being logged into the device). Can you reset your device once more and let us know what you're seeing?

The Apple TV can also cache errors for awhile -- to clear and overwrite that cache, try opening other apps and playing video (Netflix, Hulu, iTunes Video, etc) before opening the Vimeo app.

Mauro Tapia

Mauro Tapia

Hey i'm having the same problem here (Chile). I don't know why but look like this started when updated my ATV up to 5.2.1. I try to open vimeo, literaly hundred times, and every once says "Vimeo is unavailable".

Guys from the Staff, i think you should contact Apple and ask them what is going on from their side. Maybe is an issue from this update.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Mauro, sorry for the trouble. We're very serious about squashing this bug, but it's been quite elusive. I'm going to need your help in collecting some information for us. Can you contact us about this Apple TV issue using the form linked below? Select 'Other issues' and put 'Assign to Tommy' in the subject line. Thank you for your help!

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/contact

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Mauro, actually, scratch that, I think we finally found the problem. Can you restart your Apple TV and give it a try now?

Mauro Tapia

Mauro Tapia

It's working fine now! :)

Thanks you!

Jason Kraynek

Jason Kraynek PRO

reset to factory setting and now the error message has been replaced with "Vimeo is unavailable" over and over again

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Jason, sorry for the trouble. We're very serious about squashing this bug, but it's been quite elusive. I'm going to need your help in collecting some information for us. Can you contact us about this Apple TV issue using the form linked below? Select 'Other issues' and put 'Assign to Tommy' in the subject line. Thank you for your help!

Vimeo FAQ: vimeo.com/help/contact

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hey Jason, can you restart your Apple TV and give it a try now? I think we finally found the problem.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.