Richard Paskin

Richard Paskin PRO

There seems to be a problem with Vimeo hosted videos when trying to add them to a video sitemap and submitting it to Google Webmaster Tools. Based on some research we have found that the standard link player.vimeo.com/video/123456 is a problem. It seems we need an embed code that has a path going to vimeo.com rather than player.vimeo.com. Are you familiar with this issue? How do we get an embed code that works in our video sitemap?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Richard, sorry for the trouble. I'm going to look into this. To clarify, is the sitemap issue happening all over Vimeo, only on your Portfolio or when your videos are embedded?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Interesting. I'll check in with our developers on this.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Richard, I have. Basically, we don't want Google to crawl the player.vimeo.com URLs because it splits the search results up for those clips, which doesn't help. The workaround you cited (using the SWF player as the "player_loc" attribute) could definitely work as it will give Google the video (via Flash player) and it's thumbnails.

However, a better option (because it gives Google more info about the clip) would be to use rich text snippets, which you can find here: google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets. With that tool, Google parses out all of the nice tags/info for a page, and then you can just copy+paste that into his page source.

If you do go that second route, don't use the player_loc attribute too as there is no need to have both.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.