Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

This is possible now (and has been for awhile). If you're having trouble with jumping ahead in the Player, please post in the main Help Forum and one of our Staff members will troubleshoot with you. Thanks!

Link: vimeo.com/forums/help

Powell Church

Powell Church Plus

My request is the ability to skip ahead in the video beyond where the buffer has loaded.

I'm uploading church services and if a user wants to skip the musical portion, they have to wait for a while before it gets to the sermon (half way through a 700MB file). If the Vimeo infrastructure makes it possible, it would be helpful for a user to click later on the time line, then the video begins playing from there, loading the buffer ahead of that point.

Thanks!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

sorry but this is not possible with the way we serve our videos.

Damir Kotoric

Damir Kotoric

sorry but that's just bad usability. going back to youtube...

Gavin Boothe

Gavin Boothe

I completely second that. Why? why on earth would you do that? What about tutorials? For videos especially like this, it is desperately needed. I did see however that staff mentioned that you can let the whole video load, but that is still really lame. Unless you are saving millions of dollars that should be a feature to add. And at the least, please at least prevent the video from starting at the beginning so then you don't have to watch it again, that and also at least say something to viewers in the form of an unobtrusive popup saying whatever is the advantage to you to doing that so there is at least a reason. I like vimeo, I want to keep using vimeo but I hope that this feature is added in the future.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Gavin, this thread was created 5 years ago (!!!) when our player and much of our infrastructure served videos much differently. Today it is possible to do exactly what the title says - select a point in a video beyond what has been buffered, and begin playback. If you have trouble with video playback, please post in the main Help Forum and one of our Staff members will troubleshoot with you!

Link: vimeo.com/forums/help

allchristianministry

allchristianministry Plus

I've been reading through the forums looking for the possibility of adding chapter markers or skip points in the video. Apparently it is possible to add a time stamp in the description which when clicked will jump ahead to that time.

Link to forum.. vimeo.com/forums/topic:5466#comment_445248

You can use our timestamp feature in the description to create markers in the video. Simply put the time 2:34 and once the video has loaded, clicking that time will take you to that point in the video.

Thought this might be a useful work around.

Woodstock Tell-A-Vision

Woodstock Tell-A-Vision

The timestamps are not very useful since they depend on the video being loaded, at which point we can move the slider anywhere we want anyway.

If the videos are served this way to allow visuals while scrubbing, I would much much rather be able to skip ahead than have visuals while scrubbing. No question about it. I would gladly pay extra for it. As it is, this is the only thing that has me looking for another video service.

Cristian Andrei

Cristian Andrei

I am really frustrated because I am trying to watch a video on Vimeo (my first time) and after half-way through, it stops playing and I have to restart. I restarted the video and then it stopped again.

vimeo.com/4842861

This is the video.
I have tried it in different browsers (Chrome and Mozilla) but still is the same.

Please make scrubbing and skipping forward possible because otherwise you will lose users to other popular services which are allowing that feature.

Thank you!

David

David

This feature is sorely needed. It should be at the top of the list of future improvements.

Thomas Schreiber

Thomas Schreiber

2 min from the end of a half hour long video and accidentally closed the tab. now i have to wait for the whole movie to rebuffer. bah

Tobias W

Tobias W

I don't know enough about the backend/infrastructure, but with lots of other video sites offering skip ahead, Vimeo should implement that asap - Please! Especially with all those long movies or just for previewing stuff ...

paul simpson

paul simpson

Whats annoying for me is I cant skip back a few minutes to rewatch a section - even though its already loaded. Can others rewatch a section or is it just a problem Im having (Im usin IE7)

paul simpson

paul simpson

Addition - ie my slider does't work at all?? It only jumps to the current download spot- ie wont go back.

Also can you post how long the video lasts . Some might last an hour or longer. We need to know before it starts.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

When the video loads, the TRT (total run time) displays above the playhead. Also, once the video loads, you should be able to skip to any point at any time.

MidiaHome

MidiaHome

the bot could slice the video in lot of pieces, maybe it will work

Toby Champion

Toby Champion

I'm frustrated that I can't skip ahead of the buffer. I couldn't believe it wasn't possible at first. Surely this should be an embarrassment for Vimeo. I'd like to use Vimeo professionally, and pay for the Pro account, but there's no way I'd put something in front of my clients where they can't skip ahead.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

The work around for now is to have the video load all the way (which shouldn't take too long depending on the length of video) and skip ahead in the timeline.

We're not embarrassed by the lack of that feature, we're just realistic when it comes to development projects and when we are able to implement it, we will, rest assured.

Paul Rhodes

Paul Rhodes

I'm sorry, but when I'd rather sit through ads on Youtube, to have the ability to easily skip to a point after I've had to reload a video from a bad connection problem. I would call it embarrassing to Vimeo. Youtube has it's faults, but for repeat watching or even to watch something all the way through, I'd choose Youtube all the way. I've had to reload videos 5 or 6 times on here and had to sit through the parts I've already watched as well as go through the parts I want to watch. I'm sorry, but Youtube is a lot better.

Nick Deboar

Nick Deboar

hey,

i cant believe this isnt implemented. I have been watching a users feature film on vimeo, and i thought i could get back to it today and watch the second half (1.5 hours long). No! I cant! Unbelievable. At least have chapters or something.

Joseph

Joseph Plus

This feature would be useful, because then transcriptions could have links to that exact quote in the video. And, for that matter, SpeakerText would be able to support Vimeo and not just YouTube:

support.speakertext.com/speakertext/topics/support_for_vimeo_clips?utm_content=topic_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification

SpeakerText is an amazing new service, and I think it will revolutionize video on the web, by making it readable, searchable, and random-accessable. It will empower video blogging and interviews and other sorts of video content.

It is really frustrating that Vimeo doesn't allow random access to timestamps, because that means SpeakerText can only support YouTube not Vimeo. That means that Vimeo is going to be left off the bandwagon as SpeakerText sees wider adoption.

[Disclaimer: I am a happy SpeakerText user and Vimeo Plus subscriber. I really wish the two would play together.]

findlayfirstnaz

findlayfirstnaz

This is ridiculous that this is not offered. I didn't realize this was not an option. This will probably be a show stopper for our church. The only other way around this is lots of time consuming editing and by breaking up the video into clips.

Frank Vilece

Frank Vilece Plus

It would be a welcome feature for sure! It would also save bandwidth as much of it is being wasted by people downloading the entire video more than once if they come back to finish up.

Pine Knoll Publications

Pine Knoll Publications Plus

Any update on this feature Vimeo folks? I realize that you may not be able to give an ETA, but perhaps confirming it is either being worked on or work is scheduled to start?

Your service is great otherwise...but even a half hour video is problematic if someone needs to come back to watch (or any reason that causes the browser window to close).

P.S. I don't know if you have any way to "force" it...but in some ways just somehow caching the video up to what has already been seen would work. In our case someone might watch 25 minutes...not have time for the full hour and a half...and only needs to get back to the 25 minute mark. Is there some way to cache previously viewed portions for now?

Pine Knoll Publications

Pine Knoll Publications Plus

Well, tickle me pink. :-)

I switched to the HTML5 player, and it allows me to skip forward!

I think we'll be at 100% once the HTML5 player becomes embeddable, but for now I'm pretty happy...I'll put directions on our site about how people can skip forward if they want.

Wilhelm Rahn

Wilhelm Rahn

Any update on this? It's been already 2 years and the player is pretty much the same :(

Trent Bigelow

Trent Bigelow

I'm noticing a lot of PAYING (Plus) members really believe in Vimeo and its team... is there any chance this feature request is in the pipeline? You don't see people paying Youtube, but you do see them with this feature.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

with our flash player this is not possible because it requires us to change just about every aspect of our encoding and delivery system. however skipping ahead is possible with out html5 player we're currently testing on site. we are also working on a embed solution that will offer similar features.

islandsnow

islandsnow

yeah it is frustrating so i stopped searching for video's on vimeo and just go to youtube now. also it doesn't seem all videos have a html5 video player link. i think you had 2 years to change every aspect of your encoding and delivery system. but jumping forward i think is a must and is why i have refused to pay for this service. maybe in the future if its made available.

also it seems like it doesn't "stream" as good as youtube. i find that vimeo video always stops to rebuffer. a lot! so now i just pause it, let the video fully load, and then play it. another frustration that it stops so often.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

what i didn't fully explain above is the huge cost associated with, not only just changing out infrastructure, but also changing from "progressive download" to "streaming". it's not a viable business decision for us at this point. and you're right, we do not have the backing of google's pocket or their infrastructure we can piggyback on. that said, we have made some great leaps in out video delivery sub-system and i'm sure that pattern will continue.

Daniel Heler

Daniel Heler

Is there anyway to be to have the HTML 5 Player be the default vs Flash?

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Yes, if you click the link to switch to it, it will become your default player. There are some videos that won't work with it though.

Daniel Heler

Daniel Heler

Can we have the site default all first time viewers to HTML 5? I know that you can click the link, just curious about making it default by it without any interaction for viewers.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

for now the default player is our flash player. please note that HTML5 player is still in its beta phase. we will make the switch when the time is right. also, don't forget that it's not supported by some of the browsers out there.

Peter Jensen

Peter Jensen Plus

I will be satisfied if the HTML5 version allows skip ahead. Really you can't make an economic argument for wasting all that bandwidth in favor of developer time. I would bail on the Flash player once the HTML5 player is stable.

City of Brisbane CA

City of Brisbane CA

Does it make sense to use the API somehow and sort of make our own embedded player that just gets the file from S3?

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

The files aren't on S3, and we don't currently have an API to get video URLs.

Dan Eiterherd

Dan Eiterherd

any update on this? I am considering hosting a longer video on Vimeo and extending my pro account, but without any perspective of skipping availability in flash or habing an embeddable html5 player I will leave vimeo again..

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

We do have an embeddable HTML5 player, but it only works in Safari and Chrome because they support h.264.

Dan Eiterherd

Dan Eiterherd

I use Linux and Firefox. When will it work there?

cetv

cetv Plus

How come some videos won't work with HTML5? What characteristics (can't think of a better term) does a video have to have to work with HTML5? I'd like my videos to skip ahead too, and they still don't with the HTML5 player.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

The videos must be encoded with h.264 and your browser must support playing back h.264.

cetv

cetv Plus

Thank you - as far as I know mine are h.264 encoded. Is Safari on Windows XP not supporting h.264?

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

You need to also have QuickTime installed for h.264 to work in Safari on Windows.

I should clarify too that it's the format of our encoded versions, not the original, that matter. Most videos uploaded in the last year and a half are compatible.

Big History

Big History

Hi, we use Vimeo to upload class lectures (1.5 hr each).

The ability to skip ahead of the buffer point in the Flash Player is critical for our students.

Waiting for the buffer to fill up first is not a solution for us since our videos are best viewed in 720p. Buffering an entire 2GB file is not pleasant.

We are aware that the HTML5 player can skip ahead, but many of our users do not see the HTML5 link, or do not have a HTML5 compatible browser.

Since YouTube has long supported the ability to skip ahead within a video past the buffer point, we would like to see this feature implemented in Vimeo's Flash Player as soon as possible.

Is there any progress since the original request made 2 years ago?

Thank you very much.

Matthew Browne

Matthew Browne

Soxiam, your explanation about progressive download doesn't make sense to me. In fact, YouTube uses progressive download - the way they are able to allow users to skip ahead to parts that haven't buffered yet is that they use a technique called pseudo-streaming, as described here:

flowplayer.org/plugins/streaming/pseudostreaming.html

But I can understand that even switching to that could still have large costs associated with it.

Your new HTML5 player resolves a lot of these issues except that when embedding videos on one's own site, users who have never viewed videos directly on vimeo.com will most likely see the Flash player by default. You guys mention in another thread (vimeo.com/forums/topic:34153#comment_4498149) that you made this decision based on prioritizing full-screen support, which makes sense, but don't you think the decision should be up to the site owner?

If the site owner thinks that skipping ahead is more important than guaranteeing the availability of full-screen support, they should be able to control that in an option. This would only apply to those who had never set a preference directly on vimeo.com, of course.

Thoughts?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Skip ahead feature has nothing to do with whether you are a member or not. It has everything to do with you using our HTML5 player. Flash player support is something we're looking into.

Marc Lucchin

Marc Lucchin

Accidentally closed the tab of this 96 minutes movie. I feel guilty to have to reload the massive video to watch the end. Help us!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Please see my comment above regarding using the HTML5 player which is supported on webkit browsers.

Matthew Browne

Matthew Browne

Soxiam, your explanation about progressive download doesn't make sense to me. In fact, YouTube uses progressive download - the way they are able to allow users to skip ahead to parts that haven't buffered yet is that they use a technique called pseudo-streaming, as described here: flowplayer.org/plugins/streaming/pseudostreaming.html But I can understand that even switching to that could still have large costs associated with it.

Your new HTML5 player resolves a lot of these issues except that when embedding videos on one's own site, users who have never viewed videos directly on vimeo.com will most likely see the Flash player by default. Site owners really need more control than this when embedding videos. Would say more but this comment form seems to censor longer comments without warning...

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

All true and valid concerns. We are currently working with our CDN partner to be able to deliver skip ahead functionality in both of our players.

Matthew Browne

Matthew Browne

Thanks for the quick reply; glad to hear you're working on this.

Here's my suggestion: if the site owner thinks that skipping ahead is more important than guaranteeing the availability of full-screen support, they should be able to control that in an option. This would only apply to those who had never set a preference directly on vimeo.com, of course.

Also, it would be great if there were a way for the user to set their preference directly on the page with the embedded video.

Thanks again

Ike Raiden

Ike Raiden

Size of the uploaded videos is becoming enormous. You HAVE to get that slider to work.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We agree and, as I stated above, we are working on it.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We've just begun working on this project. We have not been with the same content delivery network partner in the past years and this wasn't an option then.

Josh Wyatt

Josh Wyatt

Funnily enough, you can do this with the native movie player on iOS.

I can't skip ahead on the Vimeo website on my Mac, can't do it on the Vimeo iOS app, but if I visit the Vimeo website on my iPhone and the video loads (via HTML5) in the native video player, I can skip ahead just fine.

The native Vimeo app should use this instead of it's own, more limited (no fit-to-screen, or un-buffered skipping) player.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Yes the native quicktime player can do this with h264 encoded files. Of course, the native player can't offer any of the other functionalities present in our player (liking a video, etc.) We will continue to make improvements both in our desktop and mobile player.

Ovidiu Mihalcea

Ovidiu Mihalcea

I sure hope you'll be able to implement this soon :)

BRVMedia

BRVMedia PRO

There are multiple ways of serving video online. There is Progressive Dowload which is the current implementation in Vimeo. This is a cheap and simple way of serving videos. Progressive Download means that to be able to seek somewhere in the video it has to be downloaded on user's machine. There is "streaming" which Vimeo refers to as "costly" and I think that is referring to RTMP streaming which in deed is costly and less scalable. This relies on permanent connection through all playback and gives you the ability to seek anywhere without downloading anything. There is pseudo-streaming which is the solution implemented by YouTube which is kind of a work around for progressive download. The same file that is used when serving it as progressive download is served through a web server plugin/module that when seek events are appear it will slice a part of the video, will add the FLV tags inside the FLV container and will serve that back to the player. This solution needs that the server to use/implement that plugin/module and the player to be able to do calls to get video with a starting point in video. This is a convenient solution cheaper than RTMP and scalable. There are the "new" streaming protocols like HTTP Dynamic Streaming and HLS. Both let's you seek in the video without having anything downloaded previously. HLS at the moment is less convenient option because is not supported by Flash Player, only by HTML5 video element. Both are scalable and cheaper than RTMP.

So, Vimeo, get out of Progressive Download as soon as possible because there are a quite a few solutions to implement. Users use YouTube so much that the playback experience they implemented (which includes pseudo-streaming) is starting to be the "standard" in online video industry.

I'm glad that you started working on this although you should have done it a while before. Is there an approximate date the we should expect to have it released? Will it take a month, half a year, one year, multiple years, etc?

Scott Tennaman

Scott Tennaman

Wow, I'm rather new to vimeo and just came across this. I didn't know vimeo was currently only progressive download while using the flash player. Could be a dealbreaker for my possible clients, especially if their videos are greater than a couple of minutes long.

I too (as well as I'm sure everybody else) am wondering on a ballpark timeframe? One interesting move could be to make the feature available first on plus/pro plans, in order to get something out as quickly as possible--and simultaneously add incentive to go premium.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

There are a lot of moving pieces that involves our CDN partners and also much testing to be done but this is one of our active projects. I cannot comment on the date yet. Sorry.

Scott Tennaman

Scott Tennaman

Thanks for your response. In the next month or 2 I'll need to have a video host, and I'm about this > < close to signing with you guys. This is the only thing that's holding me back (everything else is perfect). Hopefully for me by then you all might have a time estimate.

RockySmokey

RockySmokey

I'm able to skip ahead on my Roku Box. Have not test Vimeo skip ahead on my Apple TV 2.

It would be a great feature to add because there are some great tutorials on vimeo and sometimes you want to go back to certain part of the tutorial or watch a movie on Vimeo like Bad is Bad and come back to it later.

Scott Tennaman

Scott Tennaman

If I sign up for a pro account, is there a way to always force all my embeds on my site to attempt to load the HTML5 player first, but if it detects the browser doesn't support it, then fall back to Flash?

Even if this all can't happen within your iframe embed code, I could easily write some javascript logic to detect HTML5 support myself. However, I would still need to be able to obtain some sort of embed code from vimeo that is purely HTML5, and then another embed code version that defaults to Flash. Is at least that available to me?

I ask because I would be satisfied with just recommending all my site visitors to use Chrome until vimeo finishes the skip-ability feature in both players.

EDIT: I think this post answers my question: vimeo.com/forums/topic:45056#comment_6073036

Jason Lucas

Jason Lucas

Is this also the reason it takes so long for my videos to buffer? I literally have to wait on a 40 second video to buffer before it plays. That same video loaded to Youtube plays instantly.

MaxMythic

MaxMythic

Yes. Youtube does video right. The flexibility of skipping anywhere in the unloaded time line is common sense. Having to wait for a whole video to load to watch a section towards the end makes for terrible usability. Vimeo would be more usable if this feature was implemented. Not having it just scares people away or frustrates the user. This feature should have been built in to the first iteration of Vimeo it is so core. I mean we ain't dealing with magnetic tape anymore. Get modern and flexible Vimeo!

Online Muziekschool

Online Muziekschool

We would like to upgrade the service to our customers with the Vimeo service, we do however need to be able to swich instandly to a certain time code in the video. First I thought that the SEEK functionality was able to do so, but now I noticed that in order to use the SEEK function properly the complete video need to be downloaded first. This is not very user friendly to our customers.
Good to hear that the Vimeo team is working on improvements. Could you please let us know when the new features are expected to be ready?
Are these functionalities available with Vimeo Pro?
Thanks for letting me know!

Thomas Giles

Thomas Giles

It seems if you watch a video in "couch mode", you can click on the bar and skip ahead, to start buffering from there. /shrug/ it works ;P

Salvation Army CBS Corps

Salvation Army CBS Corps Plus

Not being able to skip ahead on a long video is a real deal breaker for us also. Our HD videos are sometimes over 1.5 hours long, and they buffer slowly. Many viewers would want to skip ahead. This is a huge inconvenience and would drive us to Youtube. Soxiam, you indicated 6 months ago that this was being worked on. Any progress or workarounds or timeline yet?

Kiril Vladimirov

Kiril Vladimirov

It seems fixed only for the default Vimeo player. I have a hard time trying to make this work in external player(It uses Flash).

Is there some solution for this case?

Philippe Broers

Philippe Broers Plus

I dont think so, still the same as before, the no good stays , the good die young

Green Valley Community Church

Green Valley Community Church

Same situation, hour long videos, most viewers want to be able to skip the worship and just watch the message, but they have to wait for it to load.

julio pena

julio pena

There is tool here to skip to certain part of a vimeo video here:

it's pretty neat i think. or you could just append the timestamp params to the end of any vimeo url.

Link: skip.thaton.me

Andy Bibby

Andy Bibby Plus

Can anyone provide an update on this? I'd really like to know if skip-ahead is working. We have only a short time to decide whether to go with Vimeo...and progressive downloads with 2G videos would definitely be a dealbreaker.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.