Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Original source files can only be downloaded by logged-in Vimeo users. Source files can still be downloaded by anyone when viewing a PRO Review Page.

Check out our FAQ for additional information: vimeo.com/s/tig

Ringleader

Ringleader

Viewers are no longer given the option of download the Original video file for all of my videos; they only have access to the Vimeo transcodes. I haven't changed any of my settings recently. My profile is set to store orginals, and I am able to download them myself, but not other viewers.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you please link me to the video in question?

Mark

Mark Staff

The original file is available for download. You need to be logged in to an account in order to access it.

Matt Roy

Matt Roy Plus

This is an issue for me as well. I would like viewers that I've shared a link and password with to be able to download the original.

Mark

Mark Staff

Hi Matt, viewers need to be logged into a Vimeo account in order to download it.

Matt Roy

Matt Roy Plus

Yes, that's obvious. But I would like viewers only that I've shared a link and password with to be able to download the original - why the extra authentication?

Green Fuse

Green Fuse

Same issue - I deliberately create smaller files to make it easier for people to download and save broadband (not everyone has unlimited!). But suddenly download original is gone and MP4 video versions are twice the size

Mikey Perry

Mikey Perry Staff

Sorry, we've made this change recently. Basic members won't be able to make their original files available for download.

le_mal_maurice

le_mal_maurice Plus

I have the same issue with all my videos, for example vimeo.com/album/2381239/video/72381960 which I have made available to friends via an album that is guarded by a password.

My friends don't have a vimeo account (and I don't want to to force them to create one just for downloading a file) and they cannot download the original .mov file in 1080p, only the transcoded .mp4 in 720p (because I opted not to have the 1080p playback in the browser).

I cannot see a sound reason why I cannot make the original available to my non-Vimeo friends. For me, it is a MAJOR detraction from my vimeo experience because I might be forced to share video files through dropbox or the like again although I hava a PLUS membership on vimeo. Conversely, I cannot see any big advantage for vimeo (they limited the number of original downloads to 100 anyway, whereas I am talking about 10-20 downloads a year).

Am I doing something in a wrong way here? Or can you please just change that?

Link: vimeo.com/album/2381239/video/72381960

Mark

Mark Staff

Sorry, this is just our policy. There are no current plans to change how the way this works.

Harald Sandø

Harald Sandø Plus

I am a plus member and have used this option for my customers to see and download the original video. I feel bad about them having to create a Vimeo account only to download a password protected video. I agree with the above commenters that this is degrading the whole Vimeo experience, and can't figure out any reason why Vimeo would have such a 'policy'. Vimeo has always been about the users, which is how you have built yourself up. Strange this. Now I have to go to Dropbox or Sprend again. Very bad.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

I will pass your message along to our team — and thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Richard Gooderick

Richard Gooderick Plus

Hi
You said in an earlier post that basic members no longer have this feature.
Implying that pro members do.
I am a pro member and the feature has disappeared for me.
I have just made a video for a major customer and posted it for them to review.
I also told them that they can download the original file for their presentation next week. But they cannot.
You have put me in an embarrassing situation. It makes me look amateur.
I would appreciate having this feature reinstated. Sometimes it is useful.
If you remove features like this you should announce it. Otherwise you make your members appear unprofessional and we never know if we can depend on you because you might try to slip something like this by unnoticed again.

Link: vimeo.com/73229153

Mark

Mark Staff

Hi Richard, your original file is indeed downloadable. Did they tell you what problem they ran into? Did they get an error or something?

Richard Gooderick

Richard Gooderick Plus

Hi Mark
Thanks for responding so quickly.
I can see the original file option but they said that they could not.
They could only see the mobile, SD and HD versions.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

That's weird. I was able to download the original file. Could you ask them to open an alternate browser and try downloading?

Richard Gooderick

Richard Gooderick Plus

That's probably because you are logged in.
If you try logging out you I think you will only see three file formats. Not the original file.
That is what fooled me too. I could see the file and therefore I expected them to be able to see it.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

You have to at least have a Basic account in order to download the original file. If you are logged out, you will not be able to download it.

Richard Gooderick

Richard Gooderick Plus

This is a pro account. I assume that means professional.
The client is a multi billion dollar company.
It is not professional to ask them to open a Vimeo account to download the file.
I will have to explore other options.

FKQ

FKQ PRO

I have a PRO account and when I use the video review page feature for all of my clients like I have done so many many times, it no longer allows them to download the original file.....

I have other vendors that have Vimeo and it works fine for them because they are logged into their account.....

However I can't ask my clients to get a Vimeo account so they can download the original files....

Also some of my clients who were downloading the smaller size files are having a problem with Firefox and Safari....... When they try to download from them it does not work but when they use Google Crome it downloads fine.....

What up with that??????

The link I provided below should have an original file that is 86 MB....

Please log out and see if you can try to download the original version.....

The message 3 up from Derek says it should still work when I use the Video review page feature but trust me my clients have made it very clear they are not able to get the original files......

Link: vimeo.com/user19547536/review/71847430/4e24755db5

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Sorry about that. I'll have our developers look into this.

Priscilla Underwood

Priscilla Underwood

My church taped my daughter's baptism and uploaded it to Vimeo with the instructions that if I created a free account that I could download it. I have created this account in my daughter's name following the given instructions and even still I am told that it is a "private video" that I "do not have permission to view". Exactly how can I access this video then? Thanks, Mark

Link: vimeo.com/73159873

Mark

Mark Staff

Were you given the password for the video? It is password protected.

FKQ

FKQ PRO

Hey Tommy.....

Just checking back to see if Vimeo has fixed the issue so my clients can download the original video files without having to have a Vimeo account.....

Please let me know if Vimeo is planning to fix this.....

If not I and many others will have to start to look for a different vendor that can offer us what Vimeo once did......

The whole point of me using Vimeo was for my clients to review the work I was doing for them and once they were happy with it then they could download the original file......

A one stop shop.........

But if that is no longer an option than I guess I might as well go post their videos on YouTube for free for them to review and then send them a file once they are happy with it....

But I would much rather have My Vimeo back thew way it was....

Amazing and very helpful......

Thanks.....

Very Frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Mark Staff

Our developers are looking into this, sorry for the delay.

high lability zone

high lability zone Plus

I concur. From a professional point of view the negating of full download options without an account is absurd.

What do you intend to gain from this?

The balance between forcing people to sign-up and deterring developers from using your product is a strange tight-rope to walk.

Treat your film makers like your employees and listen to our requirements before we close our accounts.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

We are currently looking into this issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Frangipani Film

Frangipani Film Plus

I am also dismayed that my friends and clients now need a Vimeo account in order to download a video. I also noticed that the original mp4 files I upload are no longer available for download only a converted VID file. (my most recent project was a 2.8GB mp4 file but vimeo only allows download of a 1GB VID file.)

Is this an attempt to differentiate the PRO account from the PLUS account?
If so, it appears that several PRO users are experiencing the same issues as me with my PLUS account.

Two features I would like to see RETURN to vimeo.
1. Ability for individuals to download a file without needing a vimeo account.
2. Ability to download the original unadulterated file that was uploaded.

Thanks. I still love everything else about vimeo.com. Just a little upset about these changes.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Sorry for the trouble! This should be fixed soon.

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, I apologize for the inconvenience. Users should be able to download source files from Review pages without a Vimeo account. In addition, they should be able to download the same file that was originally uploaded. If you continue to experience an issue with either of these issues, please send us a message using the form at vimeo.com/help/contact. Please include links to any affected Review pages. We'll get in touch via email and troubleshoot in greater detail. Thank you!

Dave Coleman

Dave Coleman

I am a basic member and am currently trying to download an Original .MOV file from a PLUS member. It immediately sends me to a new page with the same video playing in a larger player. What do I need to do?

Link: vimeo.com/66119014

Dave Coleman

Dave Coleman

Mark, I don't care what they all say about you...you rule!

Mikey Perry

Mikey Perry Staff

Sorry, the original source file for that video was deleted because you haven't adjusted your settings for us to keep them. You can learn to do so here: vimeo.com/s/tbm

Andrew Gubenko

Andrew Gubenko Plus

Hi! So, how I understand, now viewers (not registered) can't download the Original from Plus account. Only from Pro account?

Mark

Mark Staff

Correct, they can only be downloaded from video review pages (which are available with PRO)

Jerry Watson

Jerry Watson Plus

Could someone clear this up for me? I have a Pro account and would like to download one of the videos I recently uploaded. When I try the Download button on then the Vimeo page the video appears in a separate browser page instead of being downloaded to my desktop as a Mp4 file or other format. Is it no longer possible to do this?

Link: vimeo.com/75365816

Nelson Alley

Nelson Alley Plus

Similar to many of the previous comments, I feel like I used to be able to tell my clients to download the original file even if they didn't have a Vimeo account. Most of my clients don't have their own account, or any reason to get one, so it would be great if this feature could be brought back (unless I'm mistaken about it's existence in the first place).

Cheers!

Mark

Mark Staff

Yup, this was a change that was made recently. Sorry for the inconvenience.

hate5six

hate5six Plus

I am a Plus user and a basic user is unable to download the Original file for this video. Even when I try to download the original myself I get a "Failed - No file" error. Any ideas?

Link: vimeo.com/73459719

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you please email us so our engineers can track this case and update you when it's fixed? vimeo.com/help/contact - please write "assign to zena" at the top of the body of the message.

Carlos Porfirio

Carlos Porfirio Plus

Hi there,
I dont know why, but i can no longer give access to my friends & clients to download the original file? may i ask you why, since i'm a PLUS member? i've heard that the only way is to make non-vimeo to create a account, which doesnt make sense...
I cannot figure why we cannot make the original file available to non-Vimeo friends.
I'm feeling embarassed with a client that is asking me acesso to download the original file and i just dont know what to tell him :/ Probalbly, i should tell him, that i have to pay more, so vimeo allow me to share the original file! Is this the case?
As a Plus member, i think that the "whole" Vimeo experience is degrading with such "policy". I'm thinking in returning again to dropbox... let me know what should i say to client.
The video is vimeo.com/76104207
Regards

Link: vimeo.com/76104207

Mark

Mark Staff

Sorry! This feature is only available with PRO accounts when using a Video Review Page. Otherwise, you need a Vimeo account to download.

Carlos Porfirio

Carlos Porfirio Plus

Thanks for the quick reply! That's sad and bad to see that Vimeo change is policy to their PLUS clients, making them to subscribe to a PRO account so they can be able to share videos to non Vimeo users...
I think vimeo will loose clients, starting with me!

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi there, these changes are put into place so we can continue to keep our services affordable for all of our users.

Keep in mind that your client can still download the HD (or SD) encoded files! The HD file should be nearly identical to the source file.

Cheers!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.