Amazingdayz

Amazingdayz Plus

Over the last few days I've noticed my Embedded videos on my website are not working. Some are and some not. Using safari at home everything's fine but on a windows pc using IE 9 & 10 they will only work if I click the compatibility view button..

This may be to do with a current bug but possible not and just need to know either way.
Any help is really appreciated..

Link: amazingdayz.com

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

It looks like I was able to play your videos in IE on a Windows PC. Could you try clearing cache in your web browser and taking another look?

UABEM

UABEM Plus

I reported the same thing happening to me yesterday. I've noticed something since then: when trying to play on google chrome, the videos that don't play give a message like "Dag-nab-it. The video can't be played with your current setup." When trying to play the same videos on safari, they just spin like their loading forever but never start loading anything. (both on a macbook)

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you please link me to where you are seeing this error?

UABEM

UABEM Plus

I can't explain what's going on. Now I go back and they are working without a problem, even though I haven't done anything new. Very strange. I'm no longer getting the two errors on safari or chrome.

WorkPac

WorkPac PRO

I have experience exactly the same thing as you. It comes up with a message "Boo-hoo! the video can't be played with your current set up."
I have been using vimeo for my online learning modules and they are on a private network. I could post the link up here but no one will be able to access it unless you have an account on that network :(. Could you please post yours up UAB Emergency Medicine? I need this videos to work for training, it would be great to know if/when/how the problem can be fixed. Some further information for you Derek is that my videos are uploaded in SCORM packages using LMS and they have worked perfectly in the past.

Mark

Mark Staff

Hi WorkPac, if you'd like to us to help you with your case, you'd need to give us a link.

Amazingdayz

Amazingdayz Plus

Just went into bookcamp on my mac and it's now playing in windows 7. Cant get onto the other pc until Monday but will clear the cache as suggested and see how that goes.

Chas Smith

Chas Smith PRO

I am having a similar problem. It seems all of my videos play fine but certain users are having issues playing certain videos. When myself and our support team tries playing them we cannot recreate the issue. Any thoughts on what this could be and workarounds? It's causing a headache of support issues...

Thanks!

Zena Hirsch

Zena Hirsch Staff

Hi Chas, I would recommend that the users who are experiencing trouble should contact directly. We'll work with them to try and sort out the problem!

Chas Smith

Chas Smith PRO

Hey Zena,

The problem is that these are customers of ours who are having the issue within our member's area. It's the same 5 videos that aren't playing on their computers while all others are playing fine. But they are using our customer support so I'd like to have an answer we can give people rather than funneling off to another support team. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Chas

Amazingdayz

Amazingdayz Plus

Well logged onto my other work PC this morning, cleared all internet history and still the same. It's the same videos every time which just appear as a black box. On the home screen the main one doesn't load and in my portfolio section the top two never display but the bottom one always does.

Mark

Mark Staff

Are you testing this at home, or on an office network?

Amazingdayz

Amazingdayz Plus

An office network. I don't own a pc at home just mac and it all works ok on that..

Mark

Mark Staff

Seems like this is an issue with your network then. Are there any filtering systems in place which may be blocking our player?

Amazingdayz

Amazingdayz Plus

Not sure Tba but if that was the case why would half my vidèos be ok..

National Museum of Australia

National Museum of Australia Plus

I can confirm that we have the same issue viewing Amazingdayz videos and our own embeds – using IE9 for PC.

We did a lot of fiddling and testing and hypothesise that the videos try to play in HTML5 but can't because IE doesn't support it, so they show a black box. Eventually (even if you don't hit the 'compatibility view' button, which makes them work instantly) they do appear and play fine (as Flash).

It's far from ideal because we don't want to have to say to people 'if you're using IE you need to either wait a while to see the videos, or find the 'compatibility view' button.

Our solution, after comparing other embeds that did work, is to add the protocol 'https:' to the path to the video. It seems to make them work without having to either switch to compatibility view or wait for the Flash version to kick in.

Maybe it's worth adding the protocol to the embed code?
Cath

ps The URL below will be live within 24 hrs

Link: nma.gov.au/objectstories

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.