Marcus Gelhard

Marcus Gelhard Plus

Hello, i'm using vimeo for a long time now but created a youtube account because the mobile quality on vimeo isn't getting better. i watched a video on a ipad an there it looked good, but on my adroid devices it looks like a bad resolution. no matter if i use the "not so good" vimeo app or the mobile website.

i read some complains about that a year ago but looks like nothing changed. any news from you, vimeo guys?

regards
Marcus

Mark

Mark Staff

You can choose to opt out of mobile versions. Then when you upload a video, most mobile devices will play the SD version of the video. Some can't though, and it'll be inaccessible.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hey Marcus, sorry about that, we'll have this fixed soon -- some mobile devices that can play back an SD or HD video are still playing back the mobile version.

Marcus Gelhard

Marcus Gelhard Plus

ah okay, so if i understand this right the mobile version is not really for the apple iphone and android smartphones, it's more for the lower end mobile phones!? So what if i disable the mobile version? Will my phone try to play the HD version? I will try it out now :D

hope you can fix this soon, then i will start to use my lovely vimeo more again :)

Marcus Gelhard

Marcus Gelhard Plus

oh, looks like i can't disable the mobile option. So i have to wait for the vimeo guys to fix it :) the strange thing is that sometimes when i play embedded vimeo videos out of the pulse reader app, they looking sharp.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

You nailed it Marcus, the mobile version is for older and lower-end mobile hardware. Disabling mobile versions will only keep it from being generated in the future. On iOS with embedded videos you should be getting the best quality video for the device you're on. We'll have this fixed with the mobile site soon.

Marcus Gelhard

Marcus Gelhard Plus

great, can't wait for it :) thanks for your help. good night from germany :)

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.