Igor Gassmann

Igor Gassmann

Hello,

I have a problem with the playback of a Vimeo video on Firefox with this configuration:

LENOVO 40613WG
Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bits
Mozilla Firefox 24.0
Flash Player 11.9.900.117
No extensions

I'm testing the playback on this page player.vimeo.com/api/examples/simple The video doesn't play, exept maybe 1 time on 10.

I have tested on 12 PC they all work. It doesn't work only with this computer.

There is a demo of the problem : screenr.com/FkYH

Does anyone know a solution for this problem ?

Thanks for the help

Link: screenr.com/FkYH

ale crl

ale crl

Same here, but with ff 25

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Where exactly are you seeing this? Does this happen onsite or only with embeds?

Stuart

Stuart

Same problem! Firefox 24 and 25. On the Vimeo site and with embedded.

St. Albans School

St. Albans School Plus

Same problem. Windows 7 64 bit - Videos won't play on Vimeo site [unless I am logged in]. This happens in both Firefox 25 and Chrome 30.0.1599.101 m. I think this has to do with how the page loads. There seems to be an initial page load of the video, then a second load for the controls to play the video. I know of other sites that have had troubles with recent update due to how webgrids load. Please advise on when / how this will be fixed. Currently anyone using Firefox or Chrome on a Windows 7 computer can't play Vimeo videos unless they have a Vimeo account and log in to the site.

ze P

ze P

Yep got the same problems with firefox 25 Safari runs the video's..
extensions disalbed .. stil nothing... ?
grtzz

ze P

ze P

Ok than, on vimeo looks like its working now, but the embedded still not...

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you describe in more detail what's happening please? What are you seeing?

Vincent Denis

Vincent Denis

Grrrr...same problem here. The only way I get the videos to work is in Safe Mode.
So annoying.
Using ff25 btw, on Windows 8. When I press play I get the sound to play just fine, but no image whatsoever.

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey WiTH Collective,

Could you please send us a link to the page where that SWF is loading?

Thanks,
Ryan

Christina

Christina

All Vimeo videos were working until upgrade to FF25 now it's a black screen in Firefox when using the iframe embed (share). All cookies, cache, everything removed.

Please help!!!

Mark

Mark Staff

Glad you've figured it out!

GanEdenVideo

GanEdenVideo Plus

Useless. I don't want to lose my themes and fart about. Can't Vimeo speak with Firefox about this??

Tobisama

Tobisama

I did the reset of firefox and stlill not working. I got version 25.1
With mozilla the video only plays when it is fully loaded after a long long time (depending of the length of the video).

So there is still something weird with mozilla or with vimeo. With chrome it works fine.
Problem persists.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Are you running any add-ons or plugins with Firefox? If so, could you try disabling them?

Tobisama

Tobisama

I did the test disabling the add-ons and extensions, the problem persist for me with embed videos.

Mark

Mark Staff

Well, you do need to let the video buffer before you can play it. This is dependent on your internet connection speed.

Ricardo de Pena

Ricardo de Pena

I can replicate the issue in FF on windows 7, if you click on the html play button it will not load unless you mouse over the player or click on the player itself (not the buttons the player). its as if the player does not load the stream unless it has focus or something

Link: player.vimeo.com/api/examples/simple

Mikey Perry

Mikey Perry Staff

Thanks for clarifying! I was able to replicate your issue on my end, and I'll pass it along to our developers. I'll keep you posted.

Mikey Perry

Mikey Perry Staff

All right, the issue has been ticketed for our developers – hopefully a fix will come soon!

Cinchcast

Cinchcast PRO

I'm having a strange issue with FF and Chrome on Windows.

Using this page player.vimeo.com/api/examples/simple
1 - Enter the page but DON'T move the mouse over the player.
2 - Click the play button that is under the player.
The video never starts playing UNTIL you move the mouse over the player or click on the player.

Can you check if there is a problem with the embedded player and controlling it through the js api?

Mikey Perry

Mikey Perry Staff

All right, the issue has been ticketed for our developers – hopefully a fix will come soon!

Cinchcast

Cinchcast PRO

Hey Mikey, any idea when the eta on the fix is? We have some production related services that are effected. We might have to move away from Vimeo if the fix is outside of a month.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Hey there, this should be fixed by the end of today. Cheers!

Cinchcast

Cinchcast PRO

Excellent news, Derek! Happy Holidays!

Cinchcast

Cinchcast PRO

Hi Derek,

This exact issue is reproducible on IE8. In fact IE8 throws an error when viewing Vimeo videos; including on the vimeo example page: player.vimeo.com/api/examples/simple

Once again this is effecting a significant amount of production customers. Any idea if we can get a quick turn around on a fix? Any idea what these issues are related to? We use vimeo for a lot of our video content and these compatibility issues with major browsers are causing us a lot of pain. We are being pushed to possibly remove Vimeo as our vendor for videos. I want to be able to ensure customers that these issues will be resolved soon.

Mark

Mark Staff

You're still experiencing this? Let me check in on the status..

Cinchcast

Cinchcast PRO

The issues happens with IE8 now instead of Firefox.

Cinchcast

Cinchcast PRO

Any idea if this will be fixed soon? The combination of a buggy Vimeo player and the lack of third party url support via the GetInfo api requests are causing outages for our clients. This cannot be tolerated for very long before we must move away from vimeo entirely and advise our affiliates to do the same. Please help me understand what the eta on these fixes are. Or is there a programmatic way to gain access to the stream urls ourselves so that we can use a more stable player than vimeo's?

Cinchcast

Cinchcast PRO

If you need help replicating the issue I can help your engineers / qa team.

Cinchcast

Cinchcast PRO

Mark; is it possible to get a response?

Brewster Academy

Brewster Academy PRO

For me, I have intermittent issues with vimeo embeds on FF. Usually works fine, but then sometimes all the embeds on my website go black - but only for a short time and then they come back. Very hard to troubleshoot. I don't seem to have this issue on other browsers.

Link: brewsteracademy.org

Brewster Academy

Brewster Academy PRO

Hi Tommy - Thanks for the response.. I can try that, but I am hesitant to do something to my browser that my users would not do. Since this doesn't happen all the time, I also won't know if that fixes the problem. I do know that when I changed a setting on one of my videos in vimeo, my embeds all went black right after I did that. They came back about 10 minutes later. Someone experienced this black out problem today, and I hadn't made any changes to the account.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

This only happens in Firefox and not with other browsers?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

I'll have a developer check in with this when we're back in the office on Monday.

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

When this happens, can you try visiting the video file on Vimeo to see if that video then plays back onsite?

Brewster Academy

Brewster Academy PRO

Hi Andrew - someone just experienced this issue 2x this morning - all embedded vimeos went black, but they were able to see the videos on my vimeo page. This person is using FF v.17

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you ask them to upgrade to the most recent version?

Brewster Academy

Brewster Academy PRO

Yes, I can... but then I worry that I can't ask all of our users to do that...and, this problem only lasts for a few minutes... so, I am at the point where I am just trying to figure out if it is just this version and because it only lasts a few minutes, maybe I can let it go and still use vimeo. When Andrew asked if the same issue occurred on the vimeo site during the embed blackout - I thought he might be on to something... I was able to confirm that was not the case when this happened this morning.

Mark

Mark Staff

If we can confirm that this issue is only happening in their specific version of Firefox we may be able to do something about it, but we wouldn't know unless we could confirm that upgrading from 17 to something else fixes the issue.

Brewster Academy

Brewster Academy PRO

Hi Mark,
OK thanks - when this happens again, I will try to see if it is on multiple computers using 17 and not on mine, using v24 and then I will report back... thanks

Brewster Academy

Brewster Academy PRO

Hello - I am again having issues with firefox.. things were working fine until I uploaded a video today. Now, I do not have sound on any videos embedded or direct on vimeo with firefox only. This does not seem to be the case on other computers that I have tried.

Link: brewsteracademy.org

Phil DeGrave

Phil DeGrave

What the hell is wrong with the vids? They are all just a black screen with sound. Was like that for a month then started working fine, then it started again tried every which way to fix it and got a video to play once, then it just reverted back, and then i repeated exactly what I did to make it work again and nothing . I guess I'll just come back in a month and see what happens.

Mark

Mark Staff

Hi Phil, do you have any browser add-ons or plugins running?

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hi Phil, turning off hardware acceleration for Firefox should do the trick. It's in Firefox > Preferences > Advanced > General > "Use hardware acceleration when available".

Madmedico

Madmedico

I'm using firefox 26 on Windows 7 64 bit. The videos play fine for me but I have a weird problem where when it plays in HD and I skip to a different part of the video, I get a short black screen before the video resumes. It's not a huge issue but very annoying. It goes away when I turn off hardware acceleration though but I'd rather not have that turned off.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Thanks for the information. We are currently working on a few issues with the player. Thank you for your patience.

enobie

enobie

There anything new on this? I'm still getting no video play with Firefox 26 on Lion. I turned off hardware acceleration days ago and tweaked other settings as advised here and elsewhere, then left alone for a few days. When I came back and wanted to watch Vimeo today, it's still not a happening scene. Works fine on Chrome. Am I missing something or is it still an issue?

Mark

Mark Staff

We're still looking into this, sorry.

Dave Baker

Dave Baker

I reported the same problem with Firefox 26.0 on Linux yesterday. Did you get just the audio as I did, or nothing at all? I could also get Vimeo vids to play properly on other browsers. I re-installed my OS to get back to Firefox 24.0 and it plays properly, So something's changed in Firefox.
It doesn't fix the issue, but I thought you might like to know. Now we wait!

Arne Wossink

Arne Wossink

Same here. Sound plays, video doesn't. Using FF 26 on Ubuntu. Switching off hardware acceleration or add-ons, or fiddling with http/https settings doesn't help.

Vex Slasher

Vex Slasher

@Andrew Tate
That had no effect

@Every FireFox User Temporary Solution That is working for me and hopefully will work for you 2 go to the video and click the download choose the one you want click it and it instantly will start playing without any black screen.

Vex Slasher

Vex Slasher

I just ran into one that did still have the black screen when I went into it's download however when I clicked the fullscreen option from in there it got rid of it.

Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

I had some extension named Flashblock enabled. Disabling it solved the problem (Mac running OS X 10.9.1)

Michael Schaffer

Michael Schaffer Plus

I realize that I have 4 videos on Vimeo and only one does not play back. Three short ones I compressed using the Vimeo settings in Final Cut Pro X. They all work. My main video which is a it over 2 hours, I used Compressor 4.1 following the instructions on your tutorial video exactly. It runs fine on Safari and on Chrome. I am running OS 10.7.5 and FF 26

Link: vimeo.com/home/myvideos

Dave Baker

Dave Baker

As a test I updated everything on my system, PCLinuxOS KDE, except Firefox. Vimeo was still OK on FF24.0. Then I updated FF to 26.0. No video, just a pretty black screen, which still happened when I disabled all my extensions. FF26.0 has the same problem on both 32-bit and 64-bit PCLos, although I only experimented on 32-bit.
No problems playing on Konqueror, Seamonkey, Opera, Chrome and Chromium.
I also tested FF26.0 on Windows 7 64-bit and it played normally.
Edit: The link to my first post on this subject: vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:112396

Craig Janeway

Craig Janeway

Fixed vimeo not playing by going into safe mode "Help > Restart with add-ons disabled" and vimeo played fine. Found add-on called java blocker was the cause. I removed it and restarted Firefox, and vimeo plays fine now.

Focused Media

Focused Media Plus

I've had problems with playback of Vimeo films through Firefox 26.0 for a couple of months. I haven't had time to look into it but I now have no audio! It seems to run fine through Safari though.....

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

This might seem simply, but could you check to make sure the volume bars are all the way up (should be highlighted blue, not grey)?

Focused Media

Focused Media Plus

Hi Andrew thanks it was that - I saw the other forum topic. I still have playback issues with the picture information. It judders from frame to frame random affect, playing forwards momentarily stopping catching up then stopping again. Is the answer above?

Ryan Boland

Ryan Boland Plus

I'm unable to play videos, both embedded and on vimeo.com, with firefox 26 on OSX.

I've disabled addons, started in safe mode, reset firefox, etc. No luck.

Seth Akkerman

Seth Akkerman Plus

I am also noticing this problem. I have another interesting detail to add to the mix. Using the same version of firefox, add-on's disabled, the videos play on an old MacBook Pro I have but not any of our MacBook Pros purchased in the last year. Also, the old laptop only has an OS of 10.6.8. Maybe that has something to do with Firefox not loading on newer machines with newer OS's. Regardless, if my videos can't play on all browsers, my clients will not use the service much longer.

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you describe exactly what the issue is?

Seth Akkerman

Seth Akkerman Plus

Mark, Thank you for being in touch. There is an overlay error on my video saying that I do not have the correct setup. There are no specifics which would be nice from a User Experience perspective. All other browsers and types of video playbacks work except using FF version 26 on a Mavericks Macbook Pro for me. I also tried clearing cookies, cache, plug-in's, etc. It doesn't work embedded or when I try to watch any other video from any user within the vimeo.com site. I have tried it on an Old Macbook Pro running OS 10.6.8 and a Retina Macbook Pro running 10.6.8 and all is good using those specific setups. This makes me think that there might be a conflict somewhere in OS Mavericks. Have you noticed this same issue with those specifications on your end? Thank you again for your help.

Seth Akkerman

Seth Akkerman Plus

Mark, That did the trick! Thank you very much for your help. It is much appreciated.

Mark

Mark Staff

No problem!! Sorry about that.

Paul O

Paul O Plus

This is very frustrating. Embedded Videos don't work on Firefox 26.0 or IE 11.0.9600.16476.
Also won't work while logged in to Vimeo.
Seems like this problem has been around for a couple of months and still not fixed.

In the process of uploading to Amazon S3. If not fixed soon goodbye Vimeo
Very frustrating - Is anything being done??????????

Paul O

Paul O Plus

Sound OK But NO Video just a black screen

Here Comes The Flood

Here Comes The Flood

Running Windows 8.1 Works fine with IE 11 and Chrome, but no audio with FF26 as of today, Weird.

Rebecca Tharp

Rebecca Tharp Staff

Sorry about that! Can you please make sure that the volume is raised on the player itself? Volume control is located in the lower right-hand corner in the form of small vertical bars that turn blue when the volume is raised!

Here Comes The Flood

Here Comes The Flood

O, the volume is up alright and I had no problems until the new player was released, so ...

Mark

Mark Staff

Can you try clearing your browser cache and cookies?

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Could you try clearing cache in your web browser? Also, just to be clear, the volume on the Vimeo player is turned up all the way?

Here Comes The Flood

Here Comes The Flood

I tried that yesterday, with zero results. But now it's working again. Odd..

vee mann

vee mann

maybe the result of ongoing DDoS attack, but i've had this problem with Vimeo - and only Vimeo - before; the video still image loads, but not the player controls

i just tested with Win 7 and FF 26 with a fresh and completely default profile

test page: vimeo.com/34534996

waaa

waaa

any eta? just rented a video and hoped to be able to watch it this evening

nathanielflick

nathanielflick

Hi, I'm having the issue and just discovered this thread, didn't know how recent it was!

Anyway, my Steps to Reproduce:

- FF 26 on a Mac running
- Using FitVids.js to resize

Only the start screen shows up, nothing else. And sometimes it's just a black screen.

Can't show a url, sorry.

Mark

Mark Staff

Hmm, what happens if you embed it without FitVids.js?

Randy Reichardt

Randy Reichardt Plus

I'm having the same problem as everyone else. Running a MacBook, OS X 10.9.1, Firefox 27.0. If I disable all my add-ons/extensions, and try to view a video on Vimeo, all I get is a video photo, with no option to play the video. Works fine in Safari, Opera, Chrome. Very frustrating. I thought that if I restarted with add-ons disabled that videos would play in Vimeo, but that's not the case. Clearly there is a bug somewhere in FF that is preventing Vimeo videos from playing.

Mark

Mark Staff

Hmm, I'm curious to know if that helps. Can you let us know?

Todo Mundo

Todo Mundo

using the html5 parameter worked for me.

Randy Reichardt

Randy Reichardt Plus

I have to confess, Mark, that when I went to try your solution, videos on Vimeo started playing again using Firefox on my MacBook. I don't know why it's working again, but it is. However, if this happens again, I will revisit this solution, which obviously worked for Todo.

Phillip

Phillip

hi, I tried the solution offered, adding the parameter to the end of the vimeo link, that didn't work for me. Still no vimeo on firefox on my macbook.

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Are you running any add-ons or plugins with Firefox?

Phillip

Phillip

no, and to repeat someone above, I'm hesitant to try to fix things on my end as I'm running a pretty standard set up, ie. this is going to happen to my viewers and clients as well

Derek Beck

Derek Beck Staff

Does this issue happen to you in any other web browser?

Mark

Mark Staff

It's become very hard to find new posts within this thread. If you are still having an issue, please create a new thread.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.