Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey y'all,

With the launch of our new player comes the long awaited feature of multi-lingual captioning! We're super interested in your feedback and would love to collect it here.

Please note: This is just the initial roll-out and there is more to come.

Also, please keep feedback to captioning only. Issues with the player, playback, uploading, or conversion have their own threads, or you may contact us directly at vimeo.com/help/contact

Read more about this release here: vimeo.com/blog/post:606

Polder Animation

Polder Animation Plus

Great it's finally implemented. A few comments on the current state/requests.

1. It only supports a single line of text, while .srt supports more. Especially with dialogue but also when dealing with larger chunks of text having only a single line of text is very little.

2. Font size. On a normal 24" screen, when viewing fullscreen videos, the text is completely disproportionate to the video size and impossible to read from a normal viewing distance.

3. Option to disable the gray box. It obscures part of the video and is very distracting when it flickers on and off when dialogue starts. Subtitles work better when they're clean - preferably white with a black border as is standard.

4. Having them on by default. We have a dutch language video but the vast majority seeing it will want English, it would be nice if a subtitle could be turned on by default.

Here is the video in question, with vimeo and embedded (legible) subtitles for comparison: vimeo.com/43598400

Thanks!

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

1. We're working on a fix for that.
2. It's supposed to be larger in full screen, but it looks like it broke somewhere along the line. Looking at it now.
3. Ultimately we went with that style to match the default style on OS X and iOS, which fits well with the overall aesthetic of our player. In the future, when browsers give us more control over the position of the captions, we'd like to switch over to native browser rendering so that your OS or browser display preferences will be honored.
4. We've heard this from a few people and it definitely makes sense. We're discussing exactly how something like that would be implemented.

Polder Animation

Polder Animation Plus

Thanks for the reply.

2. They didn't resize firefox, but it seems to work fine in Chrome.

3. I'm not an OS X user, but I can hardly imagine when properly watching a film, series or documentary with subtitles it displays them in a gray box, obscuring a significatly larger portion of the screen. Wouldn't it mimic the default of cinema and tv? Either way, it looks very cheap at the moment, like an instruction video rather than something that comes with a film. I appeciate you're keeping the player clean, but an option for movie style subtitles would be great.

Thanks again

Crossed Heart Forge

Crossed Heart Forge

4. specific language enabled by default at least on embeds/iframes would be great, on the page also a nice feature...no trouble with an .srt recently made in amara/universal subtitles...rock on.

Benjamin Watkins

Benjamin Watkins Plus

I agree. I have a film in Portuguese that is aimed at American audiences. 99% of the time, I'll need the English subtitles on there and don't want viewers to have to figure out how to turn them on or that they're even available. Thanks guys.

Fernando Secco

Fernando Secco

3. Yeah, this gray box is really bad. Can't you just turn it off? You could match the overall style of every subtitle in a movie ever to exist. It would be much, much better without the box...

Nobilis Bellator

Nobilis Bellator Plus

OK well I did some testing and found that if I export the srt file from the application I use to make the subs in different encoding I am able to see the Subs attached to the video but they are in an awful black rectangle that takes up the length of the screen and an important portion vertically. This is not very elegant especially in a place like Vimeo that is dedicated to quality film-making. When exporting the subs in UTF-7 encoding and in Non-Lossy ASCII formats we can see the text but always with that black background.

I hope you can up with a fix for that and allow us to have the classical white letters with black outlines and a black drop shadow. These are industry standards for quality subs on films.

Link: vimeo.com/81880303

Nobilis Bellator

Nobilis Bellator Plus

UPDATE UPDATE

I uploaded the six languages currently available for this video and am sad to report that the NON-LOSSY ASCII format does not support Russian, nor French or German. I left the files active for you to check it out. Please do not hesitate to reach out and let me know if you want me to test other formats in an attempt to make this work for me yes but for all the users that have been waiting so long for this feature. Please not I live in Spain and we have a huge time difference with you guys, so I may not be available if you attempt a contact at certain hours.

Link: vimeo.com/81880303

Andre Theelen

Andre Theelen Plus

Hi Andrew,

I send an e-mail with the files attached to your support address.
Thanks for looking into this.

Rien de 9

Rien de 9

Hello, same problem here. I have 15 videos. I uploaded CC without a prob on 14 of them, but one give me the "oops... we are unable to convert your caption file" error. They all have the same encoding (UTF-8) and are .srt files. They are all made with the same tool (Aegisub for Mac).
The video is in french, and the srt file is in english, so no accent or anything strange in it. Nothing different from the 14 others.

EDIT: Following Andrew's previous messages, I sent my file via WeTransfer to the support mail already.

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Just replied to your email, let us know if you need anything else!

Rubèn Borràs

Rubèn Borràs

Hello, me too. I uploaded CC but give me the "oops...

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hey Rubèn, this should be working now, if you are still having trouble, please send us the video and CC file you're trying to upload so that we can investigate. Thanks! Just send to support@vimeo.com as an email attachment (and a link to the Vimeo video in question).

Andre Theelen

Andre Theelen Plus

Cool. Uploading of the French, German and Spanish subtitles works fine now.

Thanks for the quick fix!

Nobilis Bellator

Nobilis Bellator Plus

Fantastic, I also uploaded the regular UTF-8 encoded Subtitle that I normally use and they all wotk in the six languages subtitled. EN FR ES IT DE RU

Thanks for fixing this.

Nobilis Bellator

Nobilis Bellator Plus

Well almost perfect...;-) All Subs are working perfectly on two of my three videos. But on this one vimeo.com/80150981only the Russian subs are not being accepted by your system. This time the error is "oops, We’re having some technical difficulties right now and couldn’t upload your file". I tried and tried sevral times and nothing doing it just won't take the file. I tried re-exporting the subtitle file from my application to get a fresh new encoded file and nothing works. Yet the EN FR & ES subs worked fine.

Nobilis Bellator

Nobilis Bellator Plus

Hi Andrew, I just tested it one last time before sending you the file...just in case and what do you know, it now works fine. I guess there was a glitch in the system this weekend and it failed on every try. This is really cool that Vimeo now supports Subs, thanks again for implementing this.

One last comment though, do you think eventually you will be able to get rid of the black background and show just the text in white with a black border and a shadow?

Brazos Film & Video

Brazos Film & Video PRO

Hello. When we upload a smi file is acts like it's working and lets me choose a language, but when I go the video page and select the language in the CC option, it does not play any subtitles.

Link: vimeo.com/82261159

Matt Ainge

Matt Ainge Plus

Greetings, I'm interested in subtitling as I like to put subtitles to my vids in case people need them and particularly so I don't have to render a video twice (subtitles to play at our events, without for online viewing). I created an SRT file and put it to my latest video, keeping it private so I could experiment before release. When I first attached the SRT file, it almost worked well.

1. Same feedback issues as the first reply to this thread regarding font size (Firefox), and that grey background. Better to use font shadowing to make sure text is readable rather than blocking out view of the screen.

2. It doesn't handle italic tags well. The italicised text came up correctly, then the following caption was also italicised even though it's clearly a different caption and the actual italicised text is properly marked up with an opening and closing tag.

3. Today - I can't see the CC icon to display them at all! :(

Keep up the fine work :)

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hey Matt, could you link us to the video where you've added the subtitles?

Simon Picard

Simon Picard

Sorry to barge in, but did you find a fix for that? I'm encountering a similar problem with english subtitles, everything after the first italic subtitle is italic, and japanese subtitles don't display any italics at all. I included the URL of the incriminated video, it's private for now but I suppose the staff can see it? If you're wondering the first subtitle is supposed to be in italics, but not the second.

Link: vimeo.com/simonpicard/vacances

Brazos Film & Video

Brazos Film & Video PRO

I got our captions working, but the CC option is only viewable during playback if I'm logged into Vimeo. I have the video embedded on our website and it plays back with captions unless I logout of Vimeo. This means that the captions wouldn't be viewable to anyone else. The video is not password protected, but it is hidden on Vimeo.

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Could you link us to your site so we can check that out?

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hey Carl, it looks like it was a cache issue that our developers were able to fix, glad you're all set!

Wexner Center for the Arts

Wexner Center for the Arts PRO

We're so pleased that you've added captioning—seconding the call here for having subtitles/captions on by default, both on Vimeo and in embed codes, as that would be a huge help and added benefit to this feature. Thanks!

BTI Biotechnology Institute

BTI Biotechnology Institute Plus

Hi all! Great feature add subtitles to a video directly through vimeo.
Im trying to upload a SRT file but it always shows the same error message "oops... we are unable to convert your caption file".
The language of the SRT file is spanish, the file only has one line and the codification is UTF-8.
Any suggestion or help?
Thanks a lot!

A Contraluz Films

A Contraluz Films PRO

Dear friends, we've added an SRT spanish subtitles to a video and after some problems you helped me to fix it works great. It's a fantastic tool, really useful, and even more when using the VoD platform.
Anyway, the Font Size is very small. Sometimes the subtitles appear at the top of the video, with a higher size but of course it's not the place for subtitles. Once fixed, they appear at the bottom but now the font size is really small. That would need to be solved, as it seems impossible to read it well for anyone, at least in our case. Thanks for your help!!

California Newsreel

California Newsreel PRO

Super excited about captioning. It is a game changer for us. The big hurdle left is seeing it in IE. Does anyone know if its a settings issue or just generally an IE failure?

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

It's something going on with the HTML5 player in IE 11. It's recognizing that the captions are there, but it's not showing. We're still trying to figure out what the issue is exactly.

Butch Hirsch

Butch Hirsch Plus

With the new player HTML 5 being released is there a way to embed this in the Hubnut widget or is that still only using a flash player

Siesja Kamphuis

Siesja Kamphuis

Dear Vimeo and other readers,

I am super happy with the option of closed captions! I immeadiatly uploaded my subtitels to my short documentary. Its is a .srt file that is build up out of timecodes like this (see below)
But now it only shows the first seven subtitles and after that no more. I've tried different browsers.
Is there something I can do?

00:00:57,100 --> 00:01:00,110
To me analogue cinema really means a lot

00:01:00,260 --> 00:01:04,070
It would be very strange when it will become digital

00:01:04,100 --> 00:01:08,070
Then I am asking myself if you can still call it film or if it should have another name

00:01:08,150 --> 00:01:14,090
For me, film has something to do with the material form,
not the content of the film
Best regards
Siesja

Link: vimeo.com/24797804

sidefxjp

sidefxjp Plus

make sure you have a blank line between the 7th string "blah blah blah" (without actual " (double quotes)) and 8.
It seems that each block clearly need to be separated with a blank line.
I am also new to .srt and stumbled on this.
Good luck.

Denis Davydov

Denis Davydov Plus

Dear Vimeo,

I am very excited about the new soft subtitles feature. From my short experience i can propose the following features (some of those have been mentioned above):

1) allow choosing default subtitles for each video both on Vimeo and when embedded. I am afraid not all users will understand that one can get subtitles when clicking on CC button.

2) Second question is regarding the line breaks in subtitles. Perhaps you could adjust your algorithm so that if the sentence is too big, it does not just chop of the last couple of words but try to distribute the words equally so that both lines have similar amount of words in it. Right now i see a number of long subtitles being split into two lines, say, 10-12 words and 1-2 words which is not pleasant to read.

3) You might also allow user to choose the maximum width of lines (percentage to the total width) and font size/colour, but this is secondary to the previous issues.

Keep up good work.

Regards,
Denis.

Korda Developments

Korda Developments PRO

Hi there, I have uploaded 3 Subtitle files (SMI) to my video, but now they have disappeared? When I log into the settings they are still there, but the CC button can not be accessed? They were working fine when I initially uploaded them.

Link: vimeo.com/84030810

socilogica

socilogica

Hi there,
I've found sort of a weird bug. IN EMBEDDED VIDEOS ONLY, subtitles are occasionally duplicated/drawn twice.

Thus far, I've only been able to reproduce it in subtitles, not captions. French subtitles work fine in this video [ vimeo.com/82253425 ] when played on the Vimeo site. When played in an embedded player as seen on this page [ setup.vipengage.com/ ], one of the subtitles at 0:40 is duplicated. I've gone over the SRT file extensively, and all characters look normal and fine. Videos are being played in Chrome (latest) on Windows 8.

REPRO:
1. Go to setup.vipengage.com/, play the first video (Module 1)
2. Skip to 0:40...notice that the subtitle is drawn twice; once "glitched", once in its full glory.

Would love a resolution on this, it's affecting the quality of my training videos for my french-speaking customers.

Link: setup.vipengage.com/

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

This is really bizarre. For me it is only happening in Chrome, but others have been able to reproduce in Safari. Can you send us the original file that you uploaded? vimeo.com/help/contact

socilogica

socilogica

Any progress on this? Can I provide any more information?

Best,
Kim

lost people films

lost people films PRO

Was this ever resolved? I am having the same problem repeatedly on both Safari and Chrome. For me it appears on my Vimeo page, not just on an embedded video.

Any news?

socilogica

socilogica

This was actually resolved for me quite awhile ago; I am no longer seeing this issue. Sorry, lost people :(

lost people films

lost people films PRO

Thanks -- Do you know what was done to fix it? Or did it just disappear on its own?

Vincent Peugnet

Vincent Peugnet

Thanks a lot for the subtitle option !
work well for me with french .srt files.
But a totally agree with Polder Animation about the grey box, It's really obstructing the video and bad looking.
I really hope it will be changed in the future.

Vincent

Cataract Vision

Cataract Vision PRO

Hi there,

I had previously uploaded captioning for the private movie, but we fixed some subtitle-mistakes and I wanted to delete and reupload a working version.
Now everytime I try to upload the SRT file vimeo says: Oops, We’re having some technical difficulties right now and couldn’t upload your file.
Please help me, because festivals will need to watch the movie for selection processes and it's without subs, suddenly, because I deleted the old ones before I tried to upload the new ones.

Thanks,

Cataract Vision

Link: vimeo.com/62721491

141-CH01

141-CH01 Plus

Hi, so pleased that you've added captioning. It's working for us but just some remarks:

-what's the difference between subtitles and captions (2 days ago, only subtitles worked, today, only captions work?)
-a big improvement could be the be able to force one subtitle at the beginning as people doesn't know how to set it (click on CC button)
-we have problem with clients on Win8-FFox (html5 player): the CC button does not appear... Do you know why? Same for Android device (also html5)

Thanks!

Stéphane

Scott Slone

Scott Slone PRO

HELP
Two different captioning files showing in our player - One is ours, and Second one we don't know who it belongs to?

Followup: Our CC produced by a CPC Captioning, the file was just tested locally and CPC all checks out. We uploaded a .scc file to our video here on Vimeo. I don't know where the other captioning is coming from for our video... No doubt a bug.

Thanks, Scott

Link: vimeo.com/30835227

Itera

Itera Plus

Hi,

Just had the same problem on a video of ours. Some random captions from an unknown source in amongst our text. Just looked at your video, and some of that extra text you see is actually from my scc-file. I also get a lot of "oops" errors when I try to upload caption files. Obviously a bug in the Vimeo system.

Scott Slone

Scott Slone PRO

I ended up contacting support directly, I figured as a pro member it was appropriate. They requested my .scc file and it's been 4 days with no word. It maybe a bug in their upload/storage system/scripts where all caption files are referenced. IDs may be duplicated with some uploads, which causes the conflict.

I'll share if I hear more.

Itera

Itera Plus

We're going pro ourselves. But that requires the captions to work. Let's hope they fix this. Keep me posted :)

thanks

Marc Stevens

Marc Stevens

It looks like the first caption doesn't show up in Firefox. You can see this behavior in the captions faq demo from Vimeo (link below). I posted about this in a different thread (link below), then found this feedback forum.

We got around this by starting with a blank caption. For example...

00:00:02,000 --> 00:00:02,050

00:00:05,070 --> 00:00:09,000
Here is the text for the actual first caption...

note: I'm on OS X Mavericks, Firefox v 26.0

Links: vimeo.com/help/faq/managing-your-videos/captions-and-subtitles, vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:112899

Sara Zimmerman

Sara Zimmerman

Hey guys,

I´m thankful to have the CC option, but I also have troubles to upload my .srt-file that I created with SUBTITLE EDIT and the UTF-8 Encoding.
I tried it first with a small two-line test in German and it worked well. But now with my Spanish subtitles it shows me the following note: OOPS. En estos momentos tenemos dificultades técnicas y no hemos podido cargar tu archivo.

vimeo.com/84960209

I would appreciate your help and comments and already sent you with wetransfer the file.

Thanks again.
York

Enlace: vimeo.com/84960209

Christian Genzel

Christian Genzel PRO

Hi!
Good to see that the CC option has been added. I'm experiencing some difficulties with them, however: I've added subtitles to one of my videos (see URL below), and the subtitles simply don't show up at all when using Internet Explorer (I'm using IE11 under Win8.1). They do show up in Firefox (v26), but the very first line is omitted. (It shows up when I use the srt file in VLC.).
Also (as people have already mentioned) it'd be helpful to be able to control the size of the subtitles, since they are simply to small to read when watching the video fullscreen.

Christian

Link: vimeo.com/68848290

C Edu

C Edu

Thank you for adding captioning.

Do you have a matrix of Flash/HTML5 support for captioning in various browsers?

For example, I'm testing your "we now have captions" video in a copy of IE 10 that doesn't have flash installed, and while the [cc] button shows up and I can pick from the list of languages, no captions ever appear.

And, as you noted in another thread, although Firefox on Windows supports h264, it still requires Flash for captioning "because they have not yet shipped with TextTrack support turned on by default."

Thank you!

Actuality Media

Actuality Media Plus

For my first effort with subtitles on Vimeo, I went with a suggested program - Amara.
Once I had English subtitles ready I went with the file type I have seen the most - SRT files. Unfortunately, when I go to upload the SRT file to my film I get the error message "We’re having some technical difficulties right now and couldn’t upload your file."
So, on to the next output option that Amara does and Vimeo accepts - DFXP. The file uploads okay and I select "subtitles". Back at the video, however, the subtitles appear with an almost two second delay - it's not much, but it is significant as the subtitles were timed exactly on Amara.
Third and final option - VTT files. Same as DFXP - uploads fine, but shows on the video with a delay.
Can you tell me why SRT won't work right now (from your own suggested source) and what's up with the other files/how can I correct them? Is it Amara (anyone else reporting that) or something in the Vimeo system that is offsetting subtitles?
Thanks!

Link: vimeo.com/82158069

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Could you send us the actual SRT file so that we can take a look?

Actuality Media

Actuality Media Plus

So, any word on why the subtitles are delayed with the other types of subtitle files?

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hey there, sorry we didn't see any file attached? Did you email it to us? If not, you can send it to vimeo.com/help/contact, or reply with a like to ge.tt / Dropbox / Cloud app.

westpapuamedia

westpapuamedia

Love the addition of .srt support! Appearance is fine in my opinion. But true that most people don't notice that the option is available (likewise for youtube and even amara captions). Youtube has the solution of being able to turn on captions by default, or embed/link with captions by default. Some kind of solution like that would be awesome. And of course, it would be amazing if they would play across all devices, hoping for some geniuses to work that one out somehow!

matinciel

matinciel Plus

+1 for an option to choose a default subtitles (especially on embedded).

GREAT !

Alex Dao

Alex Dao Staff

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass this on to our product team!

Adam Schroder

Adam Schroder PRO

Hi,
The captions are great however I have noticed a funny quirk on the HTML5 version using chrome.
The URL attached shows the issue. This is only instance I have seen this but I figure out what is so special about this one. The text as found in the .srt is below:

00:09:20 --> 00:09:49
Employers have a legal duty to monitor and control all health and safety issues in the workplace.
Apart from training this means changing or controlling systems, structures or individual behaviours which may lead to bullying.
Employers and the Supervisors and Managers who oversee people on their behalf, must now have regard to psychological hazards, as well as the more obvious and well documented physical hazards.

Other than that they're great.
Between Flash version and HTML5 the font is alot larger on HTML5.

Cheers,
Adam

Link: d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/837582522.png

lost people films

lost people films PRO

I am having the same issue in multiple places in my film on both Safari and Chrome. The line breaks at a random place, often in the middle of a word, and then duplicates the first part of the line. Each time I upload a new version of the captions it glitches like this in 7 different places. Different people viewing on different computers see the same problem, but in different places. I'm also getting caption lines that randomly are absent completely. Have you figured out any solution to this?

brand:visions

brand:visions Plus

Is it possible to turn on subtitles by default? That would be amazing!

Koma Films

Koma Films Plus

I'm so glad to finally see subtitles in Vimeo. Great move !

Here are our comments in order of importance :

1) The blue-grey box around subtitles is distracting and really annoying for fictions and short movies. Please add an option to turn it off. As it is right now it's almost unusable for drama and movies.

2) Some customization regarding font colour and outline would be appreciated.

3) Adding a way to select a default subtitle would be good. Moreover user preferences for subtitles should be saved and determine if a subtitle track would play by default or not in the future.

Thank you again for this feature !

Best regards,

Arnaud

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Hi Arnaud,

If you select a subtitle or caption track, we do store the language (and locale) that you selected and we will try to match it up as best as we can if another video has that language. That preference is stored in your browser.

We do have plans to enable some level of customization with the display for viewers, but we're not sure exactly when that will be.

Koma Films

Koma Films Plus

Thank you very much Brad for your reply. Good to know.

Another thing I noticed on one of my video is that subtitles are crossing the matte line when the video is viewed full screen. The video has a 1.9:1 aspect ratio.

Would be good to have an option for subtitle placement. Either to automatically place it above or under the matte line depending on the space available, or make it user definable.

Best regards,

Arnaud

Ex Machina

Ex Machina Plus

Hi Brad,

Is added subtitles to a video. This works great, but I would like to turn the subtitle on by default. Is this possible? Besides that, can I download the video inclusive the added subtitles?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Wieteke

The King's Fund

The King's Fund PRO

Hi,

Great to see subtitles added to Vimeo - definitely a good move. However, I have tried to add subtitles to my video in .SRT, .VTT and .dfxp and the files all seem to upload successfully but the captions don't appear on the video. The CC button is visible (on Chrome but not on Firefox) but I can't get the captions to appear. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Stuart

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Hi Stuart,

Can you link me to the video? Do you have Flash installed in Firefox? You will need it for captions there.

Simon Picard

Simon Picard

I asked this question before in reply of an old post, so it may have gone unoticed, sorry to repost: I'm encountering a problem with english subtitles, everything after the first italic subtitle is stuck to italic. I also made japanese subtitles which don't display any italics at all. I included the URL of the incriminated video, it's private for now but I suppose the staff can see it? If you're wondering the first subtitle is supposed to be in italics, but not the second.

Link: vimeo.com/simonpicard/vacances

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Hi Simon,

Looks like it is an issue with our Flash player. I'll put in a ticket so we can get it fixed.

Simon Picard

Simon Picard

Thanks Brad :)
Any way to be informed when it's done, so that I can check how subtitles look then?

ReefMaster Software

ReefMaster Software PRO

OK - looks like I'm late to the party on this one, but I'm just going to add my voice to the call for "captions on by default"!! please :)

We've just started a series of tutorials, currently with burned in captions in English but I now have a set of translations which work very nicely with the CC system on a test video (I think they look fine, btw). Our videos need captions on all the time - the only thing that should be selectable is the language.

cheers,
Matt

Sylvain Brunerie

Sylvain Brunerie

Many thanks for this long awaited feature. Vimeo stays the best!

Someone already commented on the two-second delay, I experienced this as well with Firefox, but I've just noticed it works perfectly with Chrome.
Right now, as far as I'm concerned, the only problem remaining with Google Chrome is the grey-blue background box. With Firefox, there's also the font size and the annoying delay of every subtitle.

Lien: vimeo.com/sylvainbrunerie/innsbay

david liu

david liu Plus

I asked this question above, but have not recieved a reply:

I have just tried to add a caption file:
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzt_FeLDDhRfc19JTmF1dUNMWTQ/edit?usp=sharing
To this video:
vimeo.com/35863752
And I get this message:
We’re having some technical difficulties right now and couldn’t upload your file.
Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.
Also, as you address people's issues, can you add extra instructions to this thread so we can all benefit?
Thanks!
David

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate Staff

Hi David,

It looks like your file is not formatted correctly. It looks like your time codes are missing the hour placeholder--all time codes should include the full HOUR:MINUTE:SECOND.FRAME in an SRT, e.g. 00:00:00.000 (yours is just 00:00.000).

If you follow these formatting rules for creating your SRT files, your caption files should upload and play successfully on your Vimeo videos.

Also, could you let us know what program you were using to create the SRT file? This may be a bug with that software, and if so we'd love to know!

david liu

david liu Plus

Thank you, that did it! I did this manually in notepad.

Kaidan

Kaidan

Actually I have the exact same problem as david liu just above for two days.
When I try to upload a SRT file :
"We’re having some technical difficulties right now and couldn’t upload your file."

I made the following tests:
I already have a video with a successfully uploaded SRT file on it. So I tried to re-upload the same SRT file on this same video: error message. This good SRT file on another video: error message. Another SRT file on any of my videos: error message.
It's totally impossible to upload any SRT file on any video. And I'm sure the format is correct as it's a SRT file I already uploaded successfully and that is still present and working on one of my videos.

Mark

Mark Staff

We're working on this! Should be resolved soon. In the meantime, VTT files are still currently working.

Mark

Mark Staff

We're working on this! Should be resolved soon. In the meantime, VTT files are still currently working.

Finders

Finders

VTT files are not working also :(

Mark

Mark Staff

Creative Media Services

Creative Media Services

Hi,
I'm having the same problem. I've tried uploading different file types including vtt, smi, dfxp.xml,and srt. Any suggestions?

This is Radio

This is Radio Plus

I just uploaded an .srt file for a video and it is working fine except for glitching on one of the subtitles near the end. I'm wondering if it's an issue with the player. It's a private video w/ a password, so if you'd like to have a look I'm happy to include the SRT file if you can tell me where ti send that and the URL/password. Thanks

david liu

david liu Plus

Is there a way to add captions in bulk?

I plan to get captions for my 275 videos, and then use software to translate to ~30 languages --> 8000+ file uploads. Is there a way of doing this in batch mode? With a script? Etc.?

Thank!
David

Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek

Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek PRO

I uploaded an .srt-file for German subtites. Subtitles are only shown in Chrome, but not in IE 11 or Firefox 28 (all under Windows 7). Tried uploading different character encodings, captions just as single lines, an empty first caption.

Excerpt from the .srt-file:

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:05,480
Wir befinden uns am Grabhügel 1 im archäologischen Park Alto de los Idolos.

00:00:05,961 --> 00:00:14,182
Es ist einer dieser Grabhügel, bei dem man die Grabform am Besten erkennen kann...

00:00:14,183 --> 00:00:16,294
..und wie sie ihre Toten bestattet haben.

00:00:16,427 --> 00:00:21,180
An diesem Sarkophag kann man die Bestattungsform erkennen. Im hinteren Teil des Grabes steht ein Sarkophag,

I also tried converting to 00:00:00.000-time format (decimal point instead of comma), but get an "Ooops"-refusal, when trying to upload.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephan

Link: vimeo.com/88877610

Silvia Dal Dosso

Silvia Dal Dosso

HI, I'm having problems to upload my .srt subtiltes file. "We’re having some technical difficulties right now and couldn’t upload your file." Also, these are italian subtitles, and I think this could be a mess with the accents. Should I send you the file?

Switch Asbl

Switch Asbl Plus

Please could you tell us how to select a default subtitle ?!

Pedro Harres

Pedro Harres

Hello vimeo staff!
Congratulations for the captioning! Very happy about it.

I'm having trouble with my portuguese subtitles, characters like é ê ô ç ã õ are dissapearing.

srt excerpt:

00:03:27,282 --> 00:03:28,018
Olá.

00:03:28,274 --> 00:03:29,319
Oi vó!

00:03:44,737 --> 00:03:47,380
Hoje me parece que não...

00:03:48,077 --> 00:03:49,147
Que não o que?

00:03:50,381 --> 00:03:52,419
Que não tem peixe para ti.

00:03:53,687 --> 00:03:55,946
Mas se tu nem é capaz de ver o porto?

00:03:57,022 --> 00:03:58,919
Mas a ti eu vejo.

00:03:59,708 --> 00:04:01,561
Ah, me vê? E daí?

+1 for captions by default
+1 for making the blackbox optional
+1 for allowing uploader to choose the color of the subs

Thanks!
Pedro

Link: vimeo.com/84611497

rod o

rod o

Please give us an option to disable the grey box ... or disable it by default. It's impossible to watch a narrative short film with it. It's very very distracting.

Maarten Gijsbers

Maarten Gijsbers

+1 for IE 11 support
+1 for making the blackbox optional

Lucio Lepri

Lucio Lepri Plus

I noticed that subtitles font style changes depending on the browser you're using. With Chrome, for example, subtitles look just like on Vimeo, while with IE 11 they change into a less pleasant Times New Roman.

+1 to remove the blackbox and to add a stroke to the text, or at least to fit the box to text.

lestiumesnegre

lestiumesnegre PRO

Hi, first congratulations for the CC option. Wow!
Second! I have a problem and I can't upload my subtitles! That make me sad because vimeo it's expensive and I don't what this errors. Sad, very sad.
When I try to upload the file (it's a srt subtitle file) appears the next message "Oops in this moment we..."... So I can't upload my subtitles.
Why? How can you resolve this problem?

I'm having a problem with my VOD page, too.

Enlace: vimeo.com/71328408

Bianca Busato Portella

Bianca Busato Portella

I'm having trouble with the subtitles in my videos.

They work fine when I upload them on my account, but whenever I add a video to my channel, the subtitles appear on the top portion of the video instead of the bottom.
I've searched for proper settings, but couldn't find anything that might change this.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Global Intelligence for the CIO

Global Intelligence for the CIO PRO

Why does CC not appear on some Android devices? In particular LG nexus does not have anything but the Samsung Galaxy S4 has CC for the same video.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

We only support CC on devices running iOS 7+, Kindle Fire devices, and Chrome for Android. We're working on expanding support to other devices soon, but the open nature of Android makes it impossible for us to support all Android devices.

TWR

TWR Plus

Hi Vimeo - thanks for the new subtitling feature. This is a HUGE deal for us and I'm thrilled that you added this.

One quick question - any timeline on forcing a particular language to be captioned at the start (by default?)

Also, a nice feature would be the ability to force multiple default captions based on the website it will be embedded into. Spanish for our spanish page, Dutch for our Dutch page, etc. Perhaps the default language could be included in the embed code?

Thanks again and keep up the great work.

Kevin Powis

Kevin Powis

It doesn't work in IE 11 - it works in IE 9 on Vista but not 11 on Win7

Martin Dasnoy

Martin Dasnoy

Hi Vimeo - great feature!
Is there any way to automatically have subtitles on? I've Spanish and English subs and i want the English one always on by default when i send video's link.

Meghan Oretsky

Meghan Oretsky Staff

Hi Martin, unfortunately this is a manual control. We do not offer captions by default at this time.

therightjuice

therightjuice Plus

+1 Captions on by default
+1 Ability to get rid of ugly dark grey box

Floream eLearning

Floream eLearning PRO

The ability to pass a parameter in the URL/embed code that sets the default caption /subtitle would be even better.

Andrés Cosarinsky

Andrés Cosarinsky Plus

Thank you very much for the option of adding subtitles! really useful!!
I wonder if there´s a way to remove the grey box.
Thanks!

Mark

Mark Staff

No, sorry there is no option to do so.

julakim

julakim

dear vimeo-team, we have a uploaded a vtt file fo rsubtitles in Portuguese to that video but somehow it does not display any subtitles.
do you have any idea what we could do to fix it?
video link is attached.
many thanks in advance!

Link: vimeo.com/95621150

julakim

julakim

ok done! thank you!

julakim

julakim

I still got no email or feedback what to do!

Paxart Studio

Paxart Studio Plus

Hello Vimeoers!

Thank you for this opportunity, I like subtitles in player, I have no problems with Czech special chars nor typographic content (using SRT file from Subtitle Edit). I am only hoping to be running captions everywhere on all devices and browsers, but when I am reading these topics, it looks I have to do hardsubs to be sure that it will work in every cases.

Definitely I support the votes to let user choose to enable captions default on with the prefered language (also by embedding video). It is very important for us from non-english speaking countries.

Thank you!

Link: vimeo.com/97821953

il est une fois

il est une fois PRO

Dear Vimeo team
On the videos i v posted with cc, some people don t see the subtiles, but i do! they see the cc button but once they click on it nothing happens, here s the link of one of the three videos with cc:
vimeo.com/97475147
Thanx for your help

PROGER

PROGER PRO

Please add the option to activate by default the subtitles.
Most of users don't know how to activate them.

with WINGS and ROOTS

with WINGS and ROOTS Plus

One more person requesting that Vimeo please add the option to activate subtitles by default! Please keep us posted on this development.

Adrian Tineo

Adrian Tineo

Feature request: When having subtitles in multiple languages, it would be great to be able to have the language selectable form the URL. This way one could give users a different link depending on the language of their choice. Say something like
vimeo.com/xxxxxxxx ---> Video with subtitles off by default
vimeo.com/xxxxxxxx/en --> Video with subtitles on in English by default
vimeo.com/xxxxxxxx/de --> Video with subtitles on in German by default
vimeo.com/xxxxxxxx/es --> Video with subtitles on in Spanish by default

Do you think something like that would be possible? Thanks for your time.

ameego

ameego PRO

Sweet player.

+1 for default subtitles.

julakim

julakim

I have again a problem with the subtitling. there are 3 subtitles in VTT format and none of them are working. how could I change this?

Link: vimeo.com/99575899

Pavigym

Pavigym PRO

+1 to captions/subtitles by default based on URL. YouTube already does this by adding e. g. &hl=en at the end

Willem Grobler

Willem Grobler Plus

Hey Vimeo Team

Just a quick question: this thread is inundated by requests to have subtitles on by default, but I'm still unsure whether this has been implemented, as it's really hard to test it, especially since I'm sitting with a private video that I'm hoping to launch soon, and I need subs for it.

Can you give any indication when this option will be available? Surely it can't be that difficult, and besides, it's been over six months since you've suggested implementation. As a paying subscriber I would also really value this option.

Any word?

Mark

Mark Staff

Hey there! It's possible that we may include this option in a future update, but it's not something we're currently working on.

Atelier Alupi

Atelier Alupi

Hello,

I understand subtitles are not "on" by default, but is there a parameter we can include in the embed code to specify a subtitle to be displayed by default ? Something like [lg = "en"] for example ?
(Dailymotion has this option)

I guess not, but who knows...

Thanks.

smarty.girl

smarty.girl

Wondering what the technical issues are today and when they'll be resolved? Vimeo wouldn't upload my .srt (it's not a file format issue, there's a different error message for that).

Actuality Media

Actuality Media Plus

Same question as above on the technical issues.
I managed to get a VTT file up, but it is frustrating to having to go through the process of exporting subtitle files four times to get one to work (out of four types that all should work).
Especially frustrating as it's for a video that the end is cut off of, but as I uploaded it four days ago and my limit reset three days ago (and I've uploaded two other videos since then) I can't upload a fixed file for another week. I know - wrong thread for that complaint.
Right thread for one more vote for default subtitle display settings.

Link: vimeo.com/100183481

Mark

Mark Staff

This is something we're considering for the future!

Generation Justice

Generation Justice Plus

Hi Vimeo Staff,

I was able to successfully upload an English set of subtitles but now I keep getting an error when I try to upload another file. Am I doing something wrong or is something broken?

Link: vimeo.com/94434796

Generation Justice

Generation Justice Plus

Nevermind, I overlooked some formatting errors. It's working now. Thank you!

rod o

rod o

Are you guys working on an option to disable the grey box (the background box). That's too distracting when watching narrative short films. Thanks.

Mark

Mark Staff

We may provide more display options in the future!

Tangomeet

Tangomeet PRO

I have introduced Captions into my embedded videos, but when played in full screen on the website where I have embedded them, the captions won't display. I looked in the sections setting to see if I need to activate something, but I didn't find anything relevant. Please, help.
Thank you.

Tangomeet

Tangomeet PRO

Hey Vimeo Staff, I didn't receive any answer to my request above. I really need to solve this as fast as possible. Thank you.

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Can you link to the page where your video is embedded? Also, which browser are you using?

Jonathan Yi

Jonathan Yi PRO

+1 Captions on by default
+1 Ability to get rid of ugly dark grey box

:)

:) PRO

+1 For captions on by default. is there any update on this yet?

Thanks on advance

Joshua van 't Hoff

Joshua van 't Hoff Plus

I love the fact that Vimeo now has captions! There is just one thing that I would like to have:
- The option to disable the grey box

This box is very distracting for a short film or documentary that needs to have subtitles. I understand that this box is needed since the letters are white; when the screen is bright or white you cannot read anything. But this can be avoided with a very small drop shadow for the letters of the captions. Might this be possible in the near future?

Thank you for the help!

Mark

Mark Staff

We will consider it! Cheers!

Michael Lockrey

Michael Lockrey

Joshua and Mark - for people who rely on captioning and subtitles such as myself, whilst we are more than happy to let you adjust the background opacity of the caption box, for us it's a non-negotiable accessibility element and our preference is usually for high-contrast captions and subtitles for easier readability and comprehension.

Link: twitter.com/mlockrey

Joshua van 't Hoff

Joshua van 't Hoff Plus

That would work for me as well ― as long as the box disappears in that case.

Fredrik Lindau

Fredrik Lindau Plus

+1 on disabling the grey box

Font size on different devices is an issue. Dynamic font size would be nice.
Option to choose default subtitle and to choose "none" as default.

Implement the subtitle text in the styling parameters for embedding so that one can choose color font and size.

Thanks!

Liebusters GOAL

Liebusters GOAL PRO

HI

I am getting errors when importing an srt file created by aegisub

Oops!
We were unable to convert your caption file. Please try again or learn more about caption files.

any idea whats going wrong, here ? its worked with other videos

ameego

ameego PRO

Same here.

Workaround for now: you can copy the content from the .srt file exported with aegisub and paste it in a new text file. Save it with the extension .srt and you're good to upload it.

Thomas Schroyer

Thomas Schroyer

As a viewer, I don't see the option for CC in the advanced settings.. Or perhaps you can only add CC as as a film maker? In that case, is there a way to search for videos with CC?

Darnell Witt

Darnell Witt Staff

Hi Thomas, You'll only see that option on videos after the creator uploads a caption file to it. We don't currently have a way of searching for videos with captions, but this is a filter we're planning to add to Advanced Search ASAP.

Strelka Institute

Strelka Institute PRO

Hey guys, thank you for the subtitle support, but we are kindly asking you to add a possibility to switch on subtitles by default on embeds. It is essential feature we should have in our Institute website, in case all our videos are translated on two languages. We are considering to move all our videos to youtube and cancel our pro plan if this feature would not added in the near future.

Mark

Mark Staff

Thanks for your feedback!

Red & Robin

Red & Robin Plus

Hi, It's fantastic that you we can import the subtitles but I +1 the feature that we can have subtitles on by default or at least allow it as part of the embed options!

Mark

Mark Staff

Thanks for your feedback!

Explorart Films

Explorart Films PRO

Hi Vimeo, just one suggestion to add to the list when discussions about changes to the subtitles occur.

There are professional standards about subtitle location on the screen. Subtitles should not be placed any higher than 1/4 of the screen BUT also no lower than 1/12. The reason for the upper limit is obvious: so that the subtitles does not cover the content. However, the reason for the lower limit is more subtle but equally important. If the subtitle is too low (as it is in Vimeo) the viewer is forced to travel his/her line of sight back and forth between the main content of the film and the text. This makes it very tiring during long films. If the subtitles are correctly placed, the viewer eye movement is minimized and the viewing experience is more enjoyable. This is why you never see subtitles at the lower edge of the screen in any foreign film or television show. My suggestion is to set the default to the pro standard: somewhere between 1/12 and 1/4 of the screen. Thanks!

Mark

Mark Staff

Thanks for the feedback!

ART BY CHANCE

ART BY CHANCE PRO

Hello everyone! This is Cagil from Art By Chance working as Project Coordination Assistant.
Art by Chance Film Festival collects amazingly diverse ultra short films from all around the world. Before long, internationally selected fascinating movies pop into your lives suddenly in subways, airports, shopping malls, etc reaching more than 20 countries / 200 cities and 1.5 billion worldwide.
Theme for this year is Discover. Art By Chance sets out to celebrate the act of discovery in all its forms, from people to places to ideas this year. We would greatly appreciate it if you kindly support us and spread the word. Get going! We are waiting for your films! You might win a round flight ticket to anywhere in the world by the courtesy of our global sponsor Turkish Airlines. For more information about the festival, please visit artbychance.com
Our participation video: vimeo.com/105332631
Kindest regards,
Cagil Ozdemir
Project Coordination Assistant

Link: artbychance.com

Ids Aalbers

Ids Aalbers Plus

Hi,

I've added Dutch subtitles to my short film and it works pretty neat, but the characters are quite big and way too big when in full screen.

It would be nice to be able to change the size, outline and background bar. Or maybe a cinematic style option? The current style doesn't really suit the film.

Link: vimeo.com/106758812

CoorpAcademy

CoorpAcademy PRO

Hi,
Any idea on when the "caption by default" option will be available ? Crucial in my opinion in the BtoB world. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Geosoft

Geosoft PRO

The ability to choose a subtitle and have them on by default is also critical for our company, we have customers around the world in multiple languages. We use Vimeo for customers in China that cannot access You Tube and require subtitles.

It would also be helpful to have the Video title and description in several languages and to be able to pull the title and description using javascript to display on our website.

Thank you.

Media Arts Studio

Media Arts Studio

+1 for being able to remove the grey box. It is not professional looking. My standard for broadcast and cinema is an almost white text, with a thin black outline and a subtle drop shadow.

Aquarius Pictures

Aquarius Pictures Plus

Hi, I have problems with timing of subtitles in Firefox: they appear about 1 second earlier than they should. In Safari and Chrome the timing is OK. What is the problem?

Wefilm

Wefilm PRO

I'm curious about subtitles by default as well: a colleague of mine already sees them by default. I, however, do not. Would love to know if and if so, when, this feature will be available. Thanks!

Teckensurra

Teckensurra PRO

Hi all!

I would be happy of 2 things to the awesome subtitle-function:

#1. Let the account decide if a video shall start with subtitle or not. As it is today - the user have to click at CC if she/he wants to have subtitle. Easy to miss that.

#2. Is it possible for us to choice color for the text? We are working with people who have disability so the text would be yellow just for them. Is it possible?

MasterBase

MasterBase PRO

Hi!
+1 for select the subtitle via embed option

We use the videos embed in our solutions, and we know the language preference of the user, so we could embed the video qith the subtitles already loaded when he click the video.

IanniX

IanniX Plus

+1 for an option to choose a default subtitles (especially on embedded).

Gustav Nilsson

Gustav Nilsson PRO

I would also really like to be able to turn on subtitles by default. Most people don't know that they are available and just stop watching the video instead of turning them on! A real problem.

matinciel

matinciel Plus

Seems still no ways to get a subtittles by default ?

Prospector

Prospector Plus

Dear Vimeo, My name is Bart Van Looveren, I am a deaf web designer from Belgium.

My question is: is there any possibility that surfers can view the translated subtitling without first klicking on the 'cc' button? It would be great to view the subtitling as a standard.

Thank you in advance for your further advice.

Sincerely,
Bart

DocCollection

DocCollection PRO

Just paste and copy from Media Arts Studio:
+1 for being able to remove the grey box. It is not professional looking. My standard for broadcast and cinema is an almost white text, with a thin black outline and a subtle drop shadow.
pleaassse!

LA VERDAD TOTAL

LA VERDAD TOTAL PRO

Matt…… i am a VIMEO pro editor with more than 100 edited vdos, but after almost 8 months to have started, is incredible that until now no one cent i have earned, despite than several reproductions there are in my list, & by that reason i have been disappointed to go on editing in pro form all of my further vdos,, and I want to know why you have not registered in any the reproductions & paid me every one, for at least to recover my investing, because I am a & very poor & lone old man, who need some money to go on surviving, and for also to collect wishes to go on working with you,
so please, I beg you answer me and explain me about this, thank you very much.
attentively:
J Jesús Padilla E.

Sheldon Bont

Sheldon Bont Plus

I just wanted to add my voice to the growing group of people asking for the option to have CC and subtitles turned on by default. It's an important level of control.

Thanks

Craft Finland OY

Craft Finland OY PRO

Team Fishel

Team Fishel PRO

+1 For captions on by default.
Users don't know to click the cc button. Without a default option the subtitles aren't very useful.

Tamago-DB

Tamago-DB Plus

+1 for captions on by default, or at last some kind of url switch to select the caption language. Kind of startling that this isn't supported.

Metaverse Publishing

Metaverse Publishing Plus

Hello, none of the caption files (vtt, srt) I´ve generated in Amara directly work when I try to upload them to Vimeo always get this error message: "You tried to upload a caption file we don't accept, and sadly we can't use it. Please choose another file and try again. You can also learn more about caption files."
From the former comments on this page I see this happened many times before to other Vimeo users - where do I find more precise information about this issue; preferrably how to resolve this problem. Thanks!
PS Can´t even see the subtitles of some video urls given here on this page - there are just now subs!? I am using Firefox v. 34

Link: vimeo.com/113510894

ShockBlast

ShockBlast

vimeo you got stuck in 2007 or even earlier

Raphael Schaad

Raphael Schaad

+1 for captions by default. One year has passed since this issue was acknowledged ...

PalestineRemix

PalestineRemix PRO

+1 captions by default

Vimeo, any update on the issue to expect in the coming weeks?

PMP Movies

PMP Movies Plus

+1 for captions on by default
+1 for captions selection based on URL

We really need this. When can we expect it ????

Decoy Collective

Decoy Collective PRO

Any news on a default subtitle option? We have a feature length documentary on vimeo, spoken in french, arabic and swiss-german, that's why almost every viewer needs english subtitles. But almost NOBODY realizes that they can switch on subtitles! I have even put an information on the thumbnail picture (written "click here for subtitles" with an arrow pointing to the CC button). But still a lot of people write us "please provide english subtitles".

It would be awesome and very important to get such a feature!

Thanks!

OnlineParentingPrograms

OnlineParentingPrograms PRO

+1 for select the subtitle via embed option.
+1 for fixing the subtitles on IOS8 (Tested with both Iphone 6 and Iphone 6+ and the subtitles do not show even though the cc button is there and we select a language)

We really need a way of enabling subtitles by default through the embed code. We provide online classes to our users in both spanish and english. Being able to display the proper subtitles based on the locale selected by the user is a must for our application. The CC button is not at all intuitive for non tech savy people.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.