Jeanne Skorupski

Jeanne Skorupski Plus

I am stuck as far as what to do with my privacy settings. I want my videos to be visible, searchable, and navigable via Vimeo, but I also want to put a password on all of them so I have a little more control over who is viewing them. As of now, if I password protect my videos, Vimeo shows me as not ever having posted any. I want people to be able to find and contact me if they are interested in watching. I'm not why the password protected videos have to disappear from a user's page when there is already an option to hide videos from the public. Can there be an option in which the password protected videos are visible and searchable, but only playable if the viewer types in the correct password?

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Amie, this is one of the cases where we have to balance the needs of creators versus viewers. Only videos that are explicitly marked as Public will be viewable to others. We only want thumbnails to appear if that video can actually be played by the user, we don't think it makes sense to show a video's thumbnail that a user then cannot play back.

Glen

Glen PRO

hi Amie, unfortunately Vimeo privacy is wierd, and needs to be fixed because there are a lot of people in this forum having issues with privacy, and i am one of them.

i want my videos to come up in an online search, but when it does appear and someone watches it, they also get to click on my name or profile photo under that video and they are directed back to my profile page, where they can view all my public videos, and i dont want this to happen, i want a privacy setting that i can disable to prevent access to my profile page when someone watches my videos.

i know it would be very easy for them to do this, but so far nothing will be done.

i hope you have better luck than i have had.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Glen, sorry but this isn't possible. You can hide your profile page by enabling Private Mode, but this will also hide all your videos, you can't hide your profile page without also hiding your videos.

Learn about Private Mode here:

Link: vimeo.com/s/tka

Ed McLaren DDS MDC

Ed McLaren DDS MDC PRO

I'm also thinking of getting a Pro account, but before I do, I want to be sure that I can offer videos for sale on Vimeo and link to the paid version from a demo clip on my website. I'm curious how good the Vimeo shopping cart/checkout procedure is. I understand they take 10-15% of the profits, which is fine, but I have not seen any good sample sites where anyone is using this. Does anyone know of any sample sites? I'm not sure what people are using to have a good experience for the buyer of the online video.
Ideally, I would want someone to come to my page and select from a list of videos that I sort by genre or custom search and then allow them to click on their choice and see a preview that offers them a chance to purchase and view online, with the option to log in later to watch again, or see other videos that they previously purchased from me. Does Vimeo Pro make this available, or do we have to use a third party membership or shopping cart site like Digital Access Pass, etc

Glen

Glen PRO

hi, im confused already, anyway, you are best to create a new topic dedicated to your opic.

cheers

Ed McLaren DDS MDC

Ed McLaren DDS MDC PRO

Hello, is there a way to have each purchaser of the same video to be given different passwords to unlock it? Also, is there a way to see how many times each password has been used, so that I can monitor whether some purchasers are 'sharing' their passwords, which would result in excessive plays all over the world, or from different geographical areas, which would be a sign of theft.
Also, how is the password issued to the buyer? After then pay through your checkout system, are they emailed or given the password in a popup menu maybe? Thanks

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Sorry Neal, none of those features are available or possible. VOD content is not password-protected. Buyers/renters are able to watch content as soon as they pay for it. VOD creators have access to VOD-specific stats as well.

Take a look at our FAQs for Vimeo PRO and Vimeo On Demand, and if you have any further questions, please let us know (in the Help Forum, or via our Contact form below).

vimeo.com/help/faq/vimeo-membership/vimeo-pro
vimeo.com/help/faq/creator-services
vimeo.com/creatorservices/ondemand
vimeo.com/help/contact

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.