Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

That's right folks: Plus users can playback in 1080. How does it work for you?

Victor Engel

Victor Engel Plus

I've seen this announcement, but I haven't figured out how to go about it. Most of my videos are 720, but I have a couple that are straight out of my 5D, which is 1080. Should I be able to play those from vimeo at 1080?

Wes Plate

Wes Plate Plus

I'm having troubles uploading a 1080p clip, I get "Upload failed/there was a problem uploading this clip." Am I supposed to be able to upload a 1920x1080 H.264 QuickTime movie?

Jedd Goble

Jedd Goble

What bitrate should I use when exporting 1080p from Final Cut Pro?

Giulio Sciorio

Giulio Sciorio PRO

Jedd, I would say try the same settings that have worked for you in 720p but increase the output resolution to full 1080p. I'm trying that now with Gravity - vimeo.com/6279901 but if the file is choppy I'm going right back to the 720p version which is buttery smooth.

Giulio Sciorio

Giulio Sciorio PRO

Didn't playback smooth so I'm re uploading the 720p version.

Jedd Goble

Jedd Goble

K, thanks for the info. I'll play with it when I get a chance.

The Duluth Scene

The Duluth Scene Plus

missing thumbnails as well. not happy with playback at this time.

captured stream for #6506428, Video bit rate is around 9mbps, frame rate has been reduced from 24fps to 20fps.

Josh Reichlin

Josh Reichlin Plus

Just tried out 1080 playback with an MTS file. The file looked great but brought my computer to it's knees and couldn't playback properly.

Running Firefox 3.5.6: OSX 10.6.1, Mac Book Pro, 2.16 GHz C2D, 3GB 667 MHz DDR2

Josh Reichlin

Josh Reichlin Plus

Yep! It did work much better in Chrome with the HTML5 player.

Chris Falkenstein

Chris Falkenstein PRO

1080p
vimeo.com/8915872

sony vegas platinum
vimeo preset
sony avc
profile main
entropy cabac
frame rate 29.97 ntsc
field non(progressive scan)
bit rate 7,000,000

not sure if these are the best but it seems to work

Giulio Sciorio

Giulio Sciorio PRO

1080p at 4.5kbs is gonna be compressed to all hell and if the video is not not clean who cares if it has the res of true 1080p. Plus most computers are not powerful enough or monitors big enough to display 1080p properly. Although the idea of 1080p sounds great I think its something that in the future will be great but for now its just not ready.

Felipe Rojas

Felipe Rojas Plus

I'm having troubles converrting my video
vimeo.com/7883183 to 1080p, I get a failed conversion message; am I doing ssomething wrong, or is this Vimeo's problem?

GAntico

GAntico Plus

The video conversion just worked fine to me, but I've lost all the thumbnails (both my uploaded ones and both the automatically generated ones). I just solved uploading a custom thumbnail.

Video quality at 1080p seems quite good and better then at 720p, at least with these stop motion animations (the uploaded file was a mp4 near to 1Gb at 6fps...):
- vimeo.com/4987583
- vimeo.com/5493457

:-)

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

Sorry about the missing thumb nail issues this weekend, this should be fixed now.

Hans Mestrum

Hans Mestrum Plus

It failed: vimeo.com/8977256 after new conversion. I uploaded it in 1080p and after the introduction of 1080p I used the conversion update. Now I get a failed conversion message.

gary nadeau

gary nadeau Plus

I uploaded a 1080 file. It looks great. Plays great. Having hard time noticing improvement over 720 though and it's a smaller file size than my 720 - does this make sense?

Five Element Productions

Five Element Productions Plus

Gary, have you ticked the 1080p enabling box in the video settings?

A lot will also depend on the camera. Many cameras such as Panasonic 151 can't produce more than an effective 720p resolution even though they have 1080p modes.

I see that you use the Canon 5D, and in my resolution tests this camera effectively reproduces a absolute maximum of 700 TV lines, closer to 600. So this may be one reason why there isn't much difference.

Five Element Productions

Five Element Productions Plus

I tried an upload last night, and it worked really well. My only gripe is that even my Mac Pro is stuttering the playback when scaling is turned on.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.