jonizzzle

jonizzzle

I've gotten some sweet shots with my GoPro HD while mountain biking and catching some air... but I don't know how to make them have the smooth, buttery slow motion when I shot the videos at 60fps. I've used Final Cut Express to edit my footage but when I put them as 50% speed, the video seems edgy and not smooth. Any suggestions as far as editing goes?

teal

teal

i know exactly how you feel. every time i try to use final cut to slow things (all depending on the clip its self) it turns out kind of choppy.

that being said the best programs to use are motion (3 or 4), or shake (where motion gets its power from), using the optical flow option to actually make the in between frames that final cut is dropping to slow down the action if you want you can send me the clips you want to slow down and i will do it for you, I HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!!, so to say. just message me with the details.

Denis & Meryl

Denis & Meryl

Hello.

Here's what I do with my GoPro and Final Cut Pro (or Express)

Firstable, I open my video into QuickTime. I select the part i want to slow down, (In & Out) then, Copy, New Movie, Paste…

Then go to export and choose MOVIE TO PICTURE instead of .mov or .mp4… It will create a jpeg picture with every frame of the picture (60 per secondes if you're in R1 or R3 on your GoPro.

Now, open FCP or FCE, in the preferences you can choose the duration you want for new imported pictures. Set it on 00:00:00;01 (1 frame).

Drag all the pictures you got from QT in the timeline, and enjoy…

Ryan Walker

Ryan Walker

Is it possible you could make a small vid explaining how to do this. It would be a huge help. But thank you for your post because once I figure it out it will help me a bunch with my videos.

ian sanborn

ian sanborn

you mean, "...export and choose MOVIE TO IMAGE SEQUENCE..."

Luke

Luke Plus

Denis- interesting work around!
Although I have not tried it, I read that for FCE, a good work flow is to use JES deinterlace program to slow dow the 60fps to be one frame for every 1/30 of a second. Anyone tried this?
I just got a camera that shoots 60fps, and I plan to try the JES to FCE workflow in the next week.

Todd Miller

Todd Miller

Let us know how it works! I am having the same problems with FCE.

medicinebleu

medicinebleu Plus

I just tried this. Seems look the same when I import it into FCE. The footage still looks choppy.

Alex Turner

Alex Turner PRO

Batch conform your 60p files to ProRes via MPEG streamclip THEN use Cinema Tools to convert to 24fps (or 30 or 23.97 or whatever). Voila! Beautiful slow-motion...

Benjamin Taft

Benjamin Taft Plus

ProResLT should be fine for the GoPro footage by the way..

Ed Grant

Ed Grant

i do this, and i get the smooth slow motion but it makes all the videos smaller , 640x360. ????

Buzz

Buzz Plus

I use iMovie '09 and I'm also trying to find a workaround for gaining that fluid slow-motion on my vids. Yes, the camera is set to 60fps. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers...

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

I use Adobe CS5, and with our GoPro Hero HD we shoot 720 at 60fps, then drop it into a timeline/sequence that is 720 at 30fps (or 29.97). Then we slow the speed of the clips to 50%. And footage looks great.

JPG

JPG Plus

This is what I do, works mint.

David Thalmann

David Thalmann

since it's really painful to work with mp4 files in fcp I convert all footage to pro res 422 hq using compressor. takes quite a lot of time to convert, but it's way easier to edit afterwards. plus you can convert multiple formats (widescreen shots, hd shots etc) at the same time. the dimensions of the clips remain the same.

Oskar Svensson

Oskar Svensson

I have not used fcp and not sure if works like this in adobe but when you add a (im using pal framerates here) 50fps clip in a 25fps project it automatically removes every second frame and when you set 50% slow it automatically restores the frames and you get a fluid slow mo, If you dont get it in fcp just look frame by frame and see if they are unique. If not maybe there is a assume fps function. In cs5 its clip->modify>interpret footage: Assume this frame rate:

Jago Svensson

Jago Svensson

Simpler solution.
1. Open mp4 in Quicktime Pro.
2. Save as .mov file.
3. Open the .mov with the small script "Movie Edit"
4. Select save.
Wualla!, you now have a 30 fps mov file that is twice the length of the original 60p file.

jonizzzle

jonizzzle

Thanks guys! But the best way to do it was edit with Cinema Tools and batch conform the clips (after converting them to .mov with MPEG Streamclip). I looked for alternative Mac programs that would help but iMovie isn't advanced enough and Final Cut Express was limited as well. Final Cut Pro was the way to go. GoPro's website also added some instructions to converting the videos and editing under the support tab.

Charles Lozner

Charles Lozner

Do they have tips on slowing the 60p footage? It stinks that the only good option for doing this is FCP at $999. There should be some way for users of iMovie or FCE.

jonizzzle

jonizzzle

The website only helps people with FCP, but there's an alternative if you have FCE. I copied and pasted the previous thread post:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Denis & Meryl 8 months ago
Hello.

Here's what I do with my GoPro and Final Cut Pro (or Express)

Firstable, I open my video into QuickTime. I select the part i want to slow down, (In & Out) then, Copy, New Movie, Paste…

Then go to export and choose MOVIE TO PICTURE instead of .mov or .mp4… It will create a jpeg picture with every frame of the picture (60 per secondes if you're in R1 or R3 on your GoPro.

Now, open FCP or FCE, in the preferences you can choose the duration you want for new imported pictures. Set it on 00:00:00;01 (1 frame).

Drag all the pictures you got from QT in the timeline, and enjoy…"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and I guess that's your only options, either drop $1k for FCP or do the alternative with the $200 FCE. If you only have iMovie, I don't know of any other way to make it slow-mo... I hope this helps!

Jack Roane

Jack Roane

I tried this but when i save the movie to picture it only saved a single frame, any idea what I'm doing wrong?

jonizzzle

jonizzzle

I'm not quite sure, but did you select all the pictures in the timelapse?

Ryan Walker

Ryan Walker

How much hard drive space does this take up. with all the pictures and what not

jonizzzle

jonizzzle

Each picture is only about 2.5 mb or less and a nice time-lapse would need about 3 gb of space (at least for me) but I guess it depends on how much pictures you'd want.

Charles Lozner

Charles Lozner

I know almost nothing about editing video, but I saw a relatively simple script on the Cinema5D forums called ReelSnail. It seems to work, although I haven't tried really using it more than just a test. I have no idea whether it works with GoPro footage.

Mikey Steven

Mikey Steven Plus

Use after effects time re-mapping or Twixtor which is a downloadable plug-in for it, that'll actually blend the frames together and make it look pretty samoooth! ;)

Brandon Nelson

Brandon Nelson

Hey Mikey, this is old but if you are still around. I am wandering how i get the gopro plugin for when i am exporting the clip out of AE

youtube.com/watch?v=dfhisNDqGps
this vid @ 1min shows him exporting using Gopro's cineform codec. do you know how i can get this in to my export options?

James bacccinelli

James bacccinelli

Im using the setting 720p at 60 frames per second but my videos arnt in slow mo

Niles Harrison

Niles Harrison Plus

At first I thought the same thing with mine, but if you look at the frame rate of the files in Quicktime player (get info) you'll see that they are 59.94fps it is just that they are playing back at 59.94 so they aren't slo-mo. They have to be slowed down in post. Instructions can be found here: gopro.com/support/final-cut-pro-tips Of course if you don't have FCP you are kinda up a creek.

Jeremy Grubaugh

Jeremy Grubaugh Plus

Twixtor (plugin) is also helpful. Takes some getting use to and doesn't care much for camera movement but can yield some interesting results.
vimeo.com/25646460

Kenneth Loen

Kenneth Loen

Not sure if anyone is still looking for an easy way to convert their 60 fps GoPro videos to slow-motion 30 fps and retain full smoothness and clarity, but the simplest way to do it is to download GoPro's own CineForm Studio software. Best of all, it's free. Go to gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/
You can transform the 60 fps framerate to a variety of different slo-mo rates, including 1/2 rate to get to the native frames at 30 fps. The software is primarily set up to convert dual GoPro videos to 3D, but it can also be used on a regular 2D file as well.

Will Miller

Will Miller

GroPro Cineform is the dog's b*ll*x - great tip.

Marcos Garcia

Marcos Garcia

Imovie does it easy... import, paste in timeline and change speed; et voila..!!! it´s done, and now you can use this clips in FCE

healthybaby

healthybaby

As we know, Final Cut Pro is a non-linear and non-destructive editing software application, it can only import non-destructive video format including DV, HDV, P2 MXF (DVCProHD), XDCAM, and 2K film formats. Nevertheless, the widely used MP4 is lossy format, which is a final delivery file type and is heavily compressed. In order to successfully import MP4 to Final Cut Pro, we have to convert the lossy MP4 to non-destructive format like DV which is compatible with FCP.

just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert MP4 to DV so as to Import MP4 into FCP/FCE

you will find a simply method to convert mp4 to dv

hope it helps more or less

Ronald Langeveld

Ronald Langeveld

I found a slight work around, for if you filmed at 30fps such as 1080p and still want to slow things down a little. Results are acceptable, if you do it right. Adobe after-effects. I made a tutorial.
youtube.com/watch?v=EUCqDF-EKfw

Lohith Raj

Lohith Raj

Hey hi there, i find that Cinema tools is a very cool stuff. I was wondering if there was a similar program for windows. Or is there anyway that the same program can be used in windows operating system.

MUSE Skateshop

MUSE Skateshop Plus

The best way to do this is to open your file in Adobe After Effects. Once the file is in the project pane (where it shows you all of your clips and compositions in a list) right click on it. Find interperate footage and click that, (if you're on a mac just hit ctrl,cmmd,g and it opens up what youre looking for.) in the second area that you see it will give you an option to use the existing frame rate or conform it to another, select conform to another and then just type in your frame rate. I wouldn't go any lower than 24fps as the eye will begin to pick up the choppiness. For 60fps I usually go to 30fps, that's 50% speed, and then if I want to take it slower I will use time re-mapping and frame blending, (if you want to take it REALLY slow I advise getting a plugin like Twixtor)

This is not the same as slowing down a clip to 50%. 60fps is a much more compressed frame rate than 30fps, OBVIOUSLY. Taking a 60fps clip and just slowing it down 50% is only stretching the length of the frames, which is why you get a choppy look to it. Interpreting footage keeps the length of the frames the same but it spreads them out into a 30fps timeline so it looks just as smooth, but it's only half the speed.

patykus

patykus

This works quite well but then after the edition, what is the best format to export it as, in order to keep editing further into a full length video?

mark walker

mark walker

All these tips are great, IF YOU HAD THAT EXPENSIVE SOFTWARE you are talking about !!!!! The easiest way, and FREEEEEE way, is mentioned I think only once above. The GoPro Cineform Studio software. And the correct term we are all trying to use is "frame rate conversion" - simply putting a 60fps clip into i movie and slowing it down 50% does not work correctly. Think of 60fps as double ply toilet paper. Take a roll of single ply toilet paper (30fps) and open it up. lets say you get 100 yards. Take a roll of double ply toilet paper and stretch it out. It's the same length. BUT, if you were to rip open the TP and turn it into single ply, it would be 200 yards. This is exactly what "frame rate conversion" is...

You have a 10 second clip at 60fps... you run it thru the FREE software and frame rate convert it to 30fps. BANG, you end up with a 20 second clip at 30fps, hence the quality of real time video (30fps) but at 50% of the original speed.

mark walker

mark walker

Also, for you Contour users, the codec is the same as go pro, so you can simply change the file extension from mov to mp4 and then you can frame rate convert all your video shot in action mode in the Contour camera.

Clayton McLaughlin

Clayton McLaughlin

I'm obviously very late to this party/discussion, but if you have FCP, then you should have Cinema Tools. This tool will easily make the frame rate changes you're looking for. You can also do the super slow mo using Motion using that program's frame blending (vimeo.com/18441588). Lastly I want to echo the Twixtor plugin. Probably the best option in my opinion for that SUPER slow mo look.

Josh Doyle

Josh Doyle Plus

I just put up a video using Final Cut Pro x. My slowmo is choppy. How do I fix that?

daniel patrinellis

daniel patrinellis

ok, so all of this is pretty useful info and I've used most of these methods. Heres my SloMo issue:

I use FCp 7 with Motion. I have been editing in a 24fps timeline because I have been told this is the best format/process from a post production aesthetic standpoint (is this incorrect?). I shoot most of my video in 60fps on a gopro or on a 7D. For both I convert to Apple ProRes 422HQ with MPEG steamclip. Then I import.

Here's the question. How do I use conformed footage and non-conformed footage in the same timeline?

If I conform the footage with Motion, its buttery smooth. But, if I want a segment of that clip to run at a normal speed; I have to speed it up to around 225%. Now the "normal" speed clip that has been conformed to 23.97fps from 60fps looks choppy, but the slow motion looks great.

Someone suggested just using the 60fps timeline. I tried that and the video looks great when viewed in normal speed, but if I try to slow it down, again: choppy.

I even tried making two copies of every clip and conforming one set and not conforming the other set. Using a 24 fps timeline and using non-conformed for the normal speed segments and the conformed clips for the slow motion. This looks good until you try to do it in one clip. Trying to match the frame at a point that you want to slow down and cutting it, pasting in the same clip from the conformed group. This ends up looking a bit glitchy.

Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Dan

Oskar Svensson

Oskar Svensson

60 is not divisible by 24, use a 30fps timeline. It will drop every other frame giving you smooth playback "normal" speed, aswell as good 50% slowmo.

SPIDERTAG

SPIDERTAG Plus

I use GoPro Hero 2, but whenever I export the footage from FCP according to the Vimeo compression standards (H.264, Datarate = 5000, Dimensions 1280x720)

it always looks a bit too grainy. Just wanted to know if you have any advice on making it look better, maybe GoPro requires a different codec or mys settings are wrong?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

XXXREME

XXXREME

My understanding is iMovie 11 will automatically import 60p correctly. I compared video converted using CineForm to importing directly and did not see any difference (when using the 29.97p output setting in CineForm)

Bert Reimer

Bert Reimer

1-Open your movie in Quicktime Pro(35 bucks)
2-Export movie to image sequence, be sure to select the frame rate your camera shoots at(for my little Kodak ZX3 its 59.97)
3-create movie from stills,sorry I don't remember the correct wording I'm not at my home computer,selecting 24fps as the output
4-heres a sample vimeo.com/13893870

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.