matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

So I was shooting some senior speeches this past week, recording to dual 7D's, one shooting close on the face, one full-body.

When I dumped the .MOV files on the hard drive I reformatted the CF cards to shoot something else with them. It is only now when I go back that I find that one of the cards (they were 16 GB Extreme 60mb/s CF cards purchased in March of this year) has 10 corrupted files back to back. The file size indicates that they have content inside them, but nothing will recognize the file.

I searched the blogs and found no real answers other than a "Treasure" service from Aero Quartet or something like that will restore individual files from $39-$99 or something like that. But Canon doesn't acknowledge it, says something must be wrong with the 7D and to send it in. SanDisk gives a list of the most common reasons, and then if their recovery tool doesn't work, offers to replace the CF card.

Has this happened to anybody else and what is your workaround if you've achieved it?

UPDATE 7/5/2012: If you scroll down and read, you'll see that there are two solutions that the community has discovered so far. For ease of read and newcomers to the thread, I've posted this update for your convenience.

Aeroquartet (aeroquartet.com/) or Grau GBR (grauonline.de/cmsimple2_6/en/)

Both are pay for service options. One of them may help.

John Brumbach

John Brumbach Plus

same thing happened to me, same card as you.
do you know if you filled the card? I used just over 15GB of the 16 available.
the files are cooked.
did you send the camera to Canon?
did you use the card again or get a replacement?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

I sent back one of the cards to Sandisk to get replaced. If you STILL have your card, here are the only options I've found.

Sandisk has a data recovery tool, that you can actually download for free when you purchase the CF card. That may work, it may not. By the time I found out about this, I had to already reformatted the card with the bad data on it and was shooting again, as I stated above.

There is a company out there that will, per GB of data, restore the files. That's the Aero Quartet ppl I listed above.

As far as filling the card to the brim, that may have been it, I remember it happening once when I had gotten to the 15 GB limit, but the two times prior, I can't remember.

No, I didn't send the camera to Canon as I'm not yet convinced it happened because of the camera.

I have since used the card, but moved the Sandisk Extreme 16 GB 60mbs to my secondary card set. I just purchased Lexar Professional 16 GB 600x (or 90mbs). This is my troubleshooting attempt to find out if it is the camera, or the CF card.

No trouble yet with the Lexar CF, but I haven't done anything and reached the 15 GB in one shoot, at least in regards to video. With pictures yes, and nothing was corrupted on that end.

John Brumbach

John Brumbach Plus

Matt,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I can't imagine what it was like when you had a problem pre-Internet.
I still have the card intact. 20 of the 22 files are corrupt and the first two are the good ones.
I did download RescuePro but as I read the instructions it talked about the bad drive which is not my issue. About 20 minutes after I downloaded RescuePro a customer service rep called me to see if it solved the problem. Of course they purpose of the call was to have me purchase the program but as I explained my problem to him, he confirmed my suspicions that it would not fix my problem.
Since we shot over 5 hours of interviews that day the client is fine with the lost 20 minutes but if it is not too expensive I will try Aero Quartet as you suggested.
I would caution everyone to be careful when using 64GB cards. If this had happened using a 64GB card I would have lost over half a day.
Thanks again.

Enrique R. Bencomo

Enrique R. Bencomo

Same problem here..., treasured is just too expensive, dont know what to do

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Unfortunately, this is why there should always be redundant recording. If it was something shot on the fly and not a scene you were directing (if a scene, then you should have double checked the shot after each one taken), then I suppose sometimes you just have to let it go.

Triple redundancy is your safest bet - but sometimes not necessarily affordable or workable depending on your crew size and budget.

video team

video team

Thats Why pros use P2 and SxS Cards for video.

Article19

Article19 Plus

really? does this include the "pros" that shoot on 5DmkII and 7D's that don't use SxS or P2?

Any file storage medium is vulnerable to corruption no matter the cost or its so-called professional credentials.

video team

video team

LOL, I knew this would get a reply like that. Of course pros use 7D's & 5Dmkii's and anything else that will ge the job done. Pros will even use SD Cards in an EX-1.
Look at all the forums and stories like the ones here. I visited this forum for the same reason everyone else has, to find a solution for a CF card that has corrupt media.
Obviously for video, the CF cards at this time are not as reliable and robust as P2 and SxS.
So what is the solution to retrieving my corrupt media
shot with a 7D?

video team

video team

Sandisk Extreme 60 MB/s 32gig. 400x

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

So far, everyone that I have talked to and in my experience, it's always been Sandisk Extreme 60 mbs. So I don't know if it's Canon or Sandisk. I switched to Lexar 90 mbs and have yet to see the problem, but I'm still looking to see what happens. (Also had it on two different 7D's with the Sandisk.)

I know that doesn't help with getting the data off your cards, but it's collecting data for troubleshooting since both Canon and Sandisk act like this doesn't happen. At least Sandisk will send you a new card if you bought the card within a year's time.

Other than that, the only thing I know of is that Treasure from Aero Quartet. But it costs money. And I don't know what they do that might be done in turn by the common Joe.

video team

video team

Thanks, that helps. I just switched to the Extreme Pro 90MB/s. You need quality Cards for video.

McKay Brothers

McKay Brothers Plus

The reason why you're files are getting corrupted is because you're incorrectly backing up the memory cards. I'm not sure which editing system you're using, but you can't simply drag and drop the .mov files onto your hard drive.

The safest way to dump your files is by using the Canon DSLR codecs for use in Final Cut Pro or similar system (one for Canon 5d Markii, one for 7d, etc.). You can find these on the Canon website.

In Final Cut, connect the memory card to the computer, open Log and Transfer, and with the codec installed, right click on the EOS card and select "Archive to Disk Image." This actually saves a direct copy of the memory card onto your hard drive. This is the safest way, and I've never, ever had any files corrupted by using this method.

Also, this method allows you to correctly convert the .mov files into the codec of your choice, whether you're using Apple Pro Res Proxy, LT, HQ, etc, instead of the heavy compression that already comes into the .mov files.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

"The reason why you're files are getting corrupted is because you're incorrectly backing up the memory cards. I'm not sure which editing system you're using, but you can't simply drag and drop the .mov files onto your hard drive."

Actually, this has, to my knowledge, nothing to do with anything that I've experienced. The corrupted files occur immediately after recording. Once you press "stop record", the file has no thumbnail, and, in-camera, reads as a file that cannot be played back. Even after fresh formatting, they will occasionally appear. The file, when looked at via a folder view, shows content in size, appears to be the right size for length of video taken, yet is corrupted.

How does this have anything to do with backing up a card?

McKay Brothers

McKay Brothers Plus

In your original post:

"When I dumped the .MOV files on the hard drive I reformatted the CF cards to shoot something else with them. It is only now when I go back that I find that one of the cards (they were 16 GB Extreme 60mb/s CF cards purchased in March of this year) has 10 corrupted files back to back."

I assumed that you were experiencing problems after backing up a card, not during shooting. If this is the case, you need to contact Canon, make sure you have all of the updated firmware, and try other memory cards. Sorry for the confusion.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Unfortunately all Canon offers now is to send the camera in for inspection, but does not acknowledge this as a problem. Neither does Sandisk.

But eventually we'll all have more information and will be able to troubleshoot better and know what the real issue is. Hopefully... ha.

Apostolos Nikolaidis

Apostolos Nikolaidis

Same problem here with a LEXAR 16gb card. Lost one shot
and can't find a way of recovering it. After the shooting the shot was playing normal. The next day when I tried to download it to the computer the file was corrupted. Seems like the corruption happened during playback and not during recording...

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

That's a new one that I haven't heard of yet.

Was this the Lexar Professional 600x?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

The 300x is equivalent to the Sandisk 60mbs Extreme, which is what I was having problems with. But at least I'm seeing that it's not just Sandisk.

What was the temperature of where you were shooting? Was the memory card almost full? Was the battery about to die?

Lighthouse Studios

Lighthouse Studios Plus

Thought I'd chime in from the wedding film maker side of the DSLR community

12 min of an awesome Father's toast where he honored the brides late mother who died recently. . . obviously priceless footage.

Card:
Kingston Elite Pro 16 GB 133x

Camera:
7D

The problem is NOT the cards as almost everyone on this board experienced it with different cards.

File showed ~4GB of data, but would not play in camera or off card, or off HD once transfered.

Shooting situation: card had just run full in the middle of a speech, I popped it out, popped the new one in, press record, and the 1st 4GB 12 min segment was corrupt.

Aero quartet Treasured repaired for $99. Well worth it in my instance.

No overheating issues, no battery issues, file wasn't recognized in camera (although didn't check immediately after it was shot in camera)

Kingston's reponse: It's your camera.
Canon's response: It's your cards.
My feeling given all the facts: It's my 7D.

No clue what's going on, but I hope Canon fixes because I'm still convinced its a camera issue given everyone's experience on different cards on different cameras (5D's are not immune, haven't checked others.

Good luck and I guess I'll just continue to pray when I press record and pay $100 if I get another corrupted file. For a little machine with a picture like this, so far I'll deal with it.

Just a side note, one post I read on another forum had a guy with 10 files back to back corrupted. $100 x 10 = OUCH!!!!

Positive Pictures

Positive Pictures Plus

I just realised this morning I had the SAME problem...
Irst card full... I switched card and probably press reccorded too fats.
resul... the second part of the FATHER os the GROOm is corrupted.

So What I understand is that you have to not be too fast with the camera.

I was using the 7D also !

2.5Gb file corrupted.

priceless !

Ryan K Adams

Ryan K Adams Plus

I just had the problem for the first time with a sandisk. I have been using kingstons which will occasionally stop recording for no reason but I have never been unable to access the file. I am returning the sandisk.

Rafael Jeffman

Rafael Jeffman

I had problems with a 16GB Sandisk Extreme 30mb/s while photographing (fast bursts) with my 7D.

If you do a little search, you´ll that the 7D is plagged with CF card problems (ERR 02). And it doesn't matter the brand, speed, size of the cards.

Also, I had few problems with my Kingston (4GB and 8GB, 45x and 133x) cards.

Of course, Canon blames the cards, not the cameras. But I´m sure it is either a firmware or a design problem with the 7D.

fly

fly Plus

GREAT NEWS!!!
I have a 7D and have been having the same as all you guys and wanted to come on here and tell you ITS OK.. THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE CORRUPT TUNNEL!

I've had so much trouble with my Canon 7D always corrupting files for about 6 months now, It was getting a bit stupid, a couple of months back I did a corporate shoot and 3 of the video files came back corrupt. I tried everything to recover but nothing worked! I was ready to actually sell the 7D and get a 5D MkII

I purchased a couple of 32GB sandisk (60mb/s) cards as I had read somewhere it may be the cards that are corrupting the files. I then took it back out to shoot a music video, we spent 3 days on location and used the camera with care and attention not to change settings while the camera was filming, then.. you've guessed it, 2 files were corrupt on on card and 1 on the other, we had to cut a lot of the video and I was angry and frustrated!!!!

I spoke to Jessops (who i bought it off more than a year before) who were completely useless, I then spoke to the canon repair team where I sent my beloved 7D body up to London in a box :( They had it for a week and didn't seem to think it was important to even tell me they had received it.... anyway after a week I called them, the guy was in the middle of testing my camera, he said he would take apart and check the connections and ring me back.
He rang back later that day and I was told that they had spoken to Canon headoffice and they were aware of this problem... WOOOO RESULT!!! and that there is a new 7D update coming out on Monday 18th April!!!

So hold in there guys, the futures bright!!

Jon

Magic Goggles [Joshua Csehak]

Magic Goggles [Joshua Csehak] Plus

Were you able to d/l the update from here? I just went there and it says, "Sorry, we were not able to find any downloads that match your search criteria."

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Okay, I just went and looked them up as well, looks like they disabled the page and took down those firmware updates. Don't know why.

Maybe it was released too early. I just updated two 7D's with it. I still have to the original file it you want to PM and get a download link for it.

Obviously only do that if you think I'm legit and not trying to harm your SLR or give you a virus. I can say I'm not, but that's up to you.

Or Canon will be posting the update soon I suppose, so you can wait for it to reappear.

Magic Goggles [Joshua Csehak]

Magic Goggles [Joshua Csehak] Plus

I'm getting this same error now. After working flawlessly for over a year, with 3 different SanDisk cards (two 16g and one 32g), a month ago, I got the error, and then on my last shoot, 4 files -- all in a row -- won't play. I find it hard to believe it's the cards, b/c it happened on two different cards. In both cases, they were the last few shots on the card, but I didn't fill them to the brim, and I've never had any problem filling it all the way full before anyways.

The really weird thing is, the first time it happened, I don't know what I did, maybe unmounted the card, and mounted it again, something like that -- but the files fixed themselves.

They don't play from in-camera, which tells me it's the camera; unless maybe it's the card reader, and it corrupted the files, so that maybe they might've played fine in-camera if I hadn't put it in the reader first? I'm gonna use my other (sloooow usb) reader from now on, and see if that makes any difference.

I would suck up buying a $100-200 piece of software that would fix this problem when it pops up, but I'll buy an af100 before I spend $100 per file from Aero Quartet. 17 files is a whole new camera.

fly

fly Plus

Hey guys, found this link here to the 1.2.5 update for Canon 7D:

canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=882.0

I have had the same issues for a while. I receive my 7D back today with the update on from the service centre so will post on here my results

Fingers Crossed

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Canon Rumors is hosting the 1.2.5 Firmware update for the 7D. Or PM me and I'll send it to ya.

Cheers.

Mundo Ad Portas

Mundo Ad Portas

I have had the same problem several times with just some clips. Canon 7D and Sandisk 32GB 60MB/s. I didn't really care until I got like 10 corrupted files in a row.

I just upgraded to 1.2.5 hoping that this wont happened again!

One question. How do you fix the corrupted clips?

thanks for sharing!

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Mundo,

The only solution I've found from people is that Aero Quartet group. No place I've seen has been able to given a workaround for it. And they charge about $90 per clip. Sorry, mate.

Torok Ferencz

Torok Ferencz

my 7D has made some corrupted files with the new 1.2.5 firmware too :(

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

What kind of card are you using? What was the battery level at? How much space was left on the card when the files were corrupted?

Torok Ferencz

Torok Ferencz

it's a 16Gg Kingston Ultimate 266x, the battery had one single line left, the card was ... well i'm not shure, i had about 2-3 Gigs left when the 7d gave me an error message, after i stopped the REC. after 4-5 more, i guess the card was getting full, i had another corrupted file, after what the 7D just stopped working, i had to remove the battery.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

The official statement from Sandisk when I told them about the my troubles was that cards were prone to have corrupted files when the battery was about to die.

I don't know if this is true more so with slower speed cards, since my problems were with the Sandisk Extreme 60 mb/s and you're using the Kingston 45 mb/s speed cards, or if the new firmware is all that it's cracked up to be.

I would 1) log a complaint with Canon, so they know the problem is still occurring even with their update; 2) buy a better CF card; 3) change your battery out at 1 bar remaining.

Rick Gee

Rick Gee

How do you install the firmware! This is becoming migraiane, been reading post for the past 4 days and still can't info off of card! PLEASE HELP!

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Rick,

Installing the firmware update won't give you back the corrupted files. The firmware update is supposed to help you NOT get them to begin with, but Torok got them even with the update.

To install, you either need to connect your camera to your computer, or copy the firmware update to your CF card. When you download the firmware update, there are instructions on how to install it from the Canon site.

From Canon:
usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d

Click on Drivers and Support > Firmware > Your OS and download from there.

Instructions will be included.

As for getting the corrupt files off your card, the only solution I've found, as posted above, is the Aero Quartet company, and they charge a pretty penny for their services.

Sentinel Productions

Sentinel Productions Plus

Hi There

Same thing happened to me with the files while on a very important corporate interview- 2 of the 3 files on one card were corrupted... The beneath is not regarding retreiving corrupted files but tests that lead to explaining....
I bought my 7D only last month and have used it on 3 other jobs with 16 GB 60mb/s cards with firmware 1.2.3. Until yesterday all was fine...
After finding this post I updated firmware to 1.2.5 and have tested camera today for many of the problems cited as potential reasons for corruption of files...
A) i have repeatedly left recording all day (7-8 16gb cards continuous shooting back to back) until its 12 min maximum or when it cuts out (weirdly despite usually shutting off after 12 mins approx when going onto a empty card with bat warning flashing red- got to 15:44 mins and it was me who cut- no corruption)
-doing 'A' with very low battery (even leaving shooting deliberately so still recording when batteries cut out mid shot...)- no corruption
-doing 'A' with only 2 gb left on card so cut out while record
All the above on my two cards until full- at least three times over for each.
I may well eat my words but following the day of testing i am sure it was the firmware as even testing all the above and doing it continuously so as to make as hot as possible all was fine...

BUT to be sure I also know that next investment will also be faster higher quality cards AND will now ensure to check each clip after shooting another interview tomorrow

It is a bitch but for the price i guess one has to accept a level of risk- for those who know shooting on tempermental RED- their is always a cost/risk for getting such a high quality low cost image.
Thanks to all the above who really helped yesterday when I was in a panic/rage

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Sorry to hear you've had some issues. The only thing I've been able to do for my own peace of mind is to have redundant cameras. Two cameras a shoot if I can help it, and a third (not DSLR, but camcorder) for any interviews - just in case, just in case.

May not always be feasible, but I try to make sure it happens that way.

Cheers!

Thibaut Mikos

Thibaut Mikos

Unbielevable.You pay more than 2000€/$ to buy an pro equipement...and see the result.
Like someone said before, we are afraid using our 7D or 5D now!

my situation is like yours.
- FULL BATTERY.
- 14GigaBits left in the card (SanDisk 16Go 30mbit/s)
- 10/14 videos corrupted.

Canon French SAV : It's your card!(...thanks...) and the new firmware 1.2.5 fix this problem....

Torok Ferencz tell us that is NOT the solution...

AeroQuartet are TOO EXPENSIVE. Even if they give us a serial(to life) for 129€....but not!

I hope someday...they'll us. OK we know the problem and it's finished. We are professionnals at Canon!

lol

Resolution Square (Neil Smythe)

Resolution Square (Neil Smythe)

Great shout thanks Thibaut; the shots I had missing were cutaways so half the video for free is a great deal.

First time I've had this issue in over a year using my 7D so thanks for all your comments here. For info I was using a SanDisk 16GB Extreme which I format before every shoot. I had let the space run very low which is where the problem seems to be.
I'll now download the firmware update and won't let my cards get that low again!

Grant Mason

Grant Mason Plus

Thibaut... This is brilliant. Great find. I've been having the exact problems described above and this program has allowed me to shoot with confidence again. Even better I can check it works before paying any money. Thanks! 99EU for the software seems reasonable until Canon/Sandisk can sort this problem out.

Curtis Redden

Curtis Redden Plus

I just shot a few sales vids for Hurley Australia, fashion shots and PTC's introducing their new denim range. Audio was captured on zoom h4n.

After the first hour, i want to review the clips on the card........ i get the error 2 message "check your media ... blah blah."

I panic and stop all the action, to drop the clips from card onto mac desktop. 8 out of the 12 Clips were corrupted and wouldnt play!

We only had 3hrs for the day to finish all the work and had to redo all the those beginning clips again!
We switched from the 60mb SANDISK to Lexar and problem didnt happen again at all that day.

I always say, TAPE IS THE BEST FORMAT, you cant trust digital formats, even hard drives tend to crash ever so often!

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

I still only use LEXAR 600x (90mb/s) now. I mean, nothing against Sandisk - but it's just a "just in case" thing with me. I've not tried their similar lineup in the 90 mb/s range...

Redundancy and double-checking your clips, that's about all you can do.

Cheers.

Rivello/Menta

Rivello/Menta PRO

Same here, using Kingstone 32GB 266X Ultimate CF...

I really don't know what to do....
:(

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Have you tried the above solution that Red Canary and Thibaut Mikos tried?

Rivello/Menta

Rivello/Menta PRO

The thing is, I recorded a lot the day this error showed up... I got a 16gb worth of movie and i had this problem for just a few moments.. like 10 times..

I was using a slow (cheap one) card and I have never faced this before. Last friday I got this new CF and on the day of the shooting I got this for the first time. I wonder if the problem is on this card, so that I can replace it for a new one.

My firmware is 1.2.5.

Thanks!

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

I don't know about the card, I used Sandisk Extreme (30 mb/s) no problem for almost a year, then it showed up three times, switched to Lexar Professional 600x (60mb/s) and have never had the problem since.

The solution above that Red Canary and Thibaut Mikos said worked for them, well, it wasn't around when I had my corrupted CF files. Try private messaging them and see how they fixed their issues.

Rivello/Menta

Rivello/Menta PRO

I google it and I found that no mater the brand is it will happen... I saw some cases with Lexar too.

Canon says that the card should holds write speed at least 8mb/sec, well the kingston 32Gb Ultimate 266X holds more than enough.

The solution above don't solve the camera's problem, just file recover.

I recorded many videos over many tries, so there's no chance to recover once I've continued recording.

Thanks.

loroto

loroto Plus

We had the same issue and the Grau software works great for what it is, although we're still exploring a free option (but I'm beginning to think it doesn't exist.)

But my main reason for commenting here is: I've exclusively had problems with Kingston cards. I understand they that *technically* hit the necessary write speed spec, but I still don't think that they're suitable for video and that they're best avoided.

EDOARDO TROWSE

EDOARDO TROWSE

Hi there guys, I was just wondering after all this time has anyone managed to recover their corrupt .mov without spending any cash?? I found this online cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
but am not hot on code etc. It seems that there should be a way of doing this for free without being a linux fiend... paying for this service is a little bit of salt in a wound.

Buzz Media Company

Buzz Media Company Plus

just back from shooting wedding on 7D
dragging dropping mov files from cards like always-
7D 16 and 32gb extreme sandisk
cards are 1 and 1/2 years old
probably shot 25 weddings on them - no problems
until tonight.
12 consecutive files in the middle of 32gb card unreadable by camera or mac
found and used treasured from Aero Quartet
and saw preview footage -prognosis good for
recovery.
also just now updated firmware to 1.25
Sure does shake the faith-shooting more than ever
and obviously dont need to wonder about this during job.
dont want to rely on aero but will have to use them
on this one -clip of vows on last third of ceremony

Jonathan Nicol

Jonathan Nicol Plus

I've just had this problem. Got back from a wedding and 13 files corrupted. I'd filled the card to the brim, probably a mistake, as I've had this happen before when I've filled a card. I always check the shots when I can especially studio shoots, where I'm not doubling up. Fortunately I covered it with two cameras, so it's not a big deal. Can't imagine what I'd do if I hadn't doubled up. I've downloaded 1.2.5 hopefully this will make the difference.

Kenny Evans

Kenny Evans

After working with 7D's for several years now I would recommend you never use them for anything critical or something you can't easily do a retake with. So no 'one take' events unless you have multiple angles.

It's not the cards or the cameras per se, it's many other contributing factors like battery life, temperature etc. Aero Quartet just saved my bacon on a job where recreating the shot would have cost several thousand pounds, so it was a good bailout.

These cameras are really just gimmicks and not what I would call a proper camera by any chalk. You get the look but at a massive price that IMO often isn't worth the aggravation.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

I don't know if I'd say "gimmick" was the right word. But to each his own.

Kenny Evans

Kenny Evans

When you take all things into consideration, lossy codec, awful sound recording, no low pass filter, terrible rolling shutter, ridiculous aliasing and moire issues, the fact that the video side of the camera is a bolt on after thought on what is a tool for another job - it definitely gets the gimmick label. Although you can achieve some nice looking shots, I'd go for a dedicated large format sensor camera any day on a pro job. I only used a 7D on this last job because it had to fit in a very small space.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Anyone would/should go for the "better" camera if that option is available. But in a world of so many variables and so many budgets, I like shooting with DSLRs. I look forward to what the next gen of camcorders with lens mounts on them, and, I'm sure, will switch to them, but for now, pound for pound, I'm perfectly fine with DSLRs within their limitations.

Patrick Lawrence

Patrick Lawrence Plus

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this thread, it really helped me through the last 2 days...

I have had this problem twice before (but only with 1 or 2 files corrupted). But then this past saturday, after filming a band live outdoors, the camera corrupted 11 files including the entire set.

I have updated the firmware and had the files repaired as best as possible through Video Repair Utility.

Lets's hope for the best!
Thanks again everyone
-P

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Glad the thread is helpful. I know when it happened to me I was FREAKING out. HA.

Kenny Evans

Kenny Evans

Just wanted to add that the Aero Quartet service is stunning. Very fast, relatively cheap (when you consider a re-shoot) and the clip was recovered with audio 100% intact. All this within about 12 hours turnaround, most of this time was overnight. I don't begrudge paying the guy as he's developed this tool and also made the whole experience very 'peace of mind' oriented with the ability to see if your clip can be seen before you spend any money and a guarantee on the service to boot.

Highly recommended but I hope this will be my last job on a 7D(5D etc), I've thrown in the towel!

Gideon van Eeden

Gideon van Eeden Plus

Have to add my name to the growing list of victims. Fortunately only a couple of wide-angle shots I did on friday, 22 out of 25 clips corrupted on sandisk extreme 60mbs 8GB. Updated the firmware to 125 and vowed to boycot sandisk in the foreseeable future, but other than that I will always make sure to use the smallest cards, double check and backup, format before each shoot and gamble the rest on Aero Quartet or similar. Beyond that a 9mm in the cupboard for suicidal convenience... REALLY happy this happened now, and not while shooting on a remote and desolate (read expensive) location shoot. Thanks to all for the great advice

Dirty

Dirty

I've recorded 50+ bands in the past few months, all with 2 5D's and a 7D, all Sandisk Extreme 16GB 60mbps cards. Out of all of them there were 3 files that are "corrupt" and they were from the 7D. There isn't really a distinct pattern or anything, it's just the first 3 videos, the rest are fine. We usually swap cards after 3-4 songs, so maybe it has something to do with recording on cards that are too full?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Everybody has their "systematic" troubleshooting - which is a lot of times, methinks, just guessing. Haha. But then, maybe the unknown variables, if there are more than just one, affect differently for different people. ie - 3 of 5 variable need to happen before the error occurs. Just speculating.

I've had no problems since I stopped using Sandisk Extreme. But that was their 60 mb/s card. I switched to Lexar 600x (90 mb/s I think), and never another problem. But I've heard other people have it happen to them on their Lexar cards too. So I dunno, dude.

Here's hoping for a better next 7D generation body, or even the 1D-X if we can afford it. Ha!

Tony Deemer

Tony Deemer

So I have a SanDisk 16GB 60MB/s UDMA card that reads 16.01 GB in my MAC via card reader BUT my 7D reads 14.9GB when formatted! I WANT MY EXTRA GIG OF SPACE!! What is the issue - H E L P M E!

Jason Whetzell

Jason Whetzell

Thanks guys the grau gbr worked for me as well. Saved a shot we need for a Funny Or Die shoot.

Benjamin Ariff

Benjamin Ariff Plus

I just spent the last six hours trying everything under the sun. Found a program called Card Rescue, cardrescue.com/ and it worked. I tried all other suggestions which just ended up wasting my money. Took 20 minutes and it recovered 16gb of corrupt footage. CARD RESCUE!!!

Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

I just had a similar issue. Shooting a roundtable discussion with three 7d's, all loaded with Sandisk 32gb 60mb/s CF's. Only filled about 25gb of the cards, no overheating, good batteries all day but one card decided to take a dump. When downloading, the DCIM folder had several clips with nonsense titles like "MVI_p8x6.O" or "MWIp8x7.I" and so on, all reading Zero KB on disk. There were 4 normal .mov file names on the card. two of which were immediately readable, the other two corrupt.

I ran Sandisk's RescuePro which was able to recover one clip that wasn't listed on the card's DCIM. After that I bought and tried this Grau GbR software which was able to save the two corrupt files but could not find any additional.

Third i tried this Card Rescue software which didn't seem to be able to do anything. After an hour of scanning it gave me a list of the uncorrupted files that i already had access to on the card. Next i downloaded this treasured software and much like the others it cannot even open my files with the messed up names. I'm still missing about 40% on my interview. (i'm guessing 3 clips)

Any additional thoughts?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Dude... that sucks. Are you sunk without that footage?

I've never heard of the card file saying the file was 0 kb. Mine were always "unreadable" but the appropriate size for the video length I took.

Unfortunately, I have no extra thoughts to add other than - redundancy is a must (really, whether a 7D or any camera).

Luxe Films Houston

Luxe Films Houston Plus

Let's take a poll from everyone please. What firmware version were you running on your 7D when this happened? I have 3 7D's myself. 2 of them have version 1.2.0 firmware and the 3rd one has version 1.2.5. I've only had this happen on my 1.2.0 firmware cameras. Please post your firmware version!

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

2 7D's with 1.2.1 on them I believe. Switched to the 1.2.5 (and from Sandisk Extreme 60mb/s to Lexar 600x 90mb/s) and no problems since.

a Nelson Production

a Nelson Production Plus

I am telling you right now I shoot 5D only now because of this problem. Not only that the over heating and plagued issues that the 7D presents a professional. I also have had a turn off issue that happened with a 7D filming was all done for the day and the camera would not stop writing the file.. 30min later I had to turn the camera off. Again no footage on the other end. I am not talking about 1 7D I this happens when ever a 7D is on a shoot. It's ether one thing or another.
On any shoot I do I will never have a 7D on set I just can't take the risk. I use only Extreme Pro Sandisk CF cards a combination of 16gb and 32gb. I would recommend that you stick with a brand that backs their product Sandisk and Lexar. Cheap CF cards are sometimes the culprit, spend your money right, your data is everything.

Data Rescue or Sandisk recovery programs worked great and have saved me when I used a cheap card once. Trust your footage with a name brand memory cards.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Never heard of it having the thumbnail still intact before, so I have no idea.

Willem Blonk

Willem Blonk Plus

We had 5 (almost full) days of recording.
For every single day we used 2 SanDisk Extreme 32GB 60MBS cards.

Of all the footage there were 4 corrupt files...
Middle 3 clips of day 2 we're corrupt, along with 1 clip on day 4 (also in the middle..)

Recorded on a 7D (about a year old) with 1.2.2, never updated the camera before and never had any problems... Strange...

We're now updating to 1.2.5, hope it helps...

Rusty Monkey

Rusty Monkey Plus

I've only had one file corrupt and it was when the camera was recording and the media got full, so the camera didn't end the video file correctly. Seems to be a rubbish issue by Canon if the camera can't detect when the media is about to run out.

I paid some money to get the file fixed.

Willem Blonk

Willem Blonk Plus

We bought 'Grau GbR' and it fixed all our corrupt files.
The clips we're corrupted because the camera did not close them correctly...

Don't know if the program will success in other errors...

Be Fabulous - Cristea eu

Be Fabulous - Cristea eu Plus

I have the same issue.

I use only sandisk 32gb (400x). At the beginning I was having only 1-3 broken footage but today I have 37 files corrupted.

My first 5 gb of the card are okei. The last part from 15 to 18 gb are ok too. But in the middle everything its broken. The card its only 18Gb full.

I have Firmware ver. 1.2.3

So I`ll :
1. buy the Grau Gbr and fix the files.
2. change the firmware to the latest version
3. buy Lexar 32 (600x)
4. Sell my 7D when I have money to buy a 5D mk2

After I will buy the HD Video Repair Utility I`ll keep you updated if its working or not.

hopefully will go well :)

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

With everything about to be updated, you might want to wait on a 5dmk2. But your call!

Matobo Films

Matobo Films PRO

Hold on chaps.

Just had a corrupt file from a 5DII today - just like the one I had a month ago from a 7D.

Buy a 5DII by all means, but you may jumping to the wrong conclusions.

Ben.
bengiles.co.uk

Matobo Films

Matobo Films PRO

BTW, the Grau GBR fixed it. Phew!

Ben.
bengiles.co.uk

Jesse Colaizzi

Jesse Colaizzi

Colleagues: I spoke with CanonUSA this morning on the phone (at 8:15am, US Eastern Standard Time, Jan 19, 2012). I asked about fireware 1.2.5, and any fixes it includes for corrupt files.

The corruption problem was news to them. Yes, they hadn't heard of it. According to the person I spoke with, no one had formally informed them about this problem. He said they will be testing the product, but we need to give this case more urgency. Otherwise, future generations of this technology could have the same problem. Your voices in online forums and discussion boards are not heard by the people who need to hear them.

PICK UP THE PHONE.... and call Canon directly. Kindly tell them about your file corruption problems. They want to fix it for good. Therefore, they need to know specifics from you. I spent 45 minutes on the phone talking in detail about my file corruption problems. The Canon person took elaborate notes, and they will do the same for all of you until they are able to pinpoint this problem's origin.

Call Canon.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Jesse, that's the same story from Canon I got when I called when I started this thread. Except that they said it must have been the CF card. Sandisk said it must be the camera. Back and forth.

All that to say, I don't doubt that Canon wants to fix the problem, but the reason this thread was started was because nobody could get an answer from anyone. Then firmware version 1.2.5 came out. Are some people still getting problems? Yeah, apparently. I haven't (yet...).

It is what it is. In the meantime, there is some helpful info in here on what to do when those file corruptions do occur, regardless of firmware or what Canon or any CF card company is doing.

Brett Renville

Brett Renville Plus

I think this problem relates to this forum. If anyone can help, I appreciate it.

I tried importing video files from a Transcend 16GB 400x CF card and all the files were transferred fine except one. Here is the message I got:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “MVI_0469.MOV” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

I can watch the file just fine on the camera and on my computer from the card. The problem lies with importing. This is the first time this has happened for me. Has anyone had this happen? Thank you!

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Are you using a MAC or PC? How are you importing them? Card reader? Direct from the camera?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Can you get a PC to view/copy the file in question? I'm asking because my first thought was that with MAC there is a difference between copying over the file and importing; at least I remember talking to someone about that. I haven't used MAC in about 4 years, so I'm a little rough on what they do now.

Alyssa Achuff

Alyssa Achuff

Similar problem- If anyone could help or had a similar situation.

I just filmed a wedding with a canon 5d mark II, and I was using a Sandisk Extreme 32 GB card.

Everything I shot is on the card except for 2 mysterious files, one would have been the largest file on the card.

I had a similar problem with the same camera/different card in the past and was able to use Sandisk's RescuePro software to restore the corrupted files.

This time is different though, the file does not even show up when I restore the video/audio files, however, when I try to restore photos on the card it will restore the thumbnails for all of the original files and then the files that are missing show up as .JPG files that are about 2GB and cannot be opened or restored. Anyone ever experience what should be a .mov turning into a unreadable very large .jpg file for some reason? Any help appreciated!

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Question - can you rename the extension to .MOV and see if the computer will recognize that? Also, the card itself becomes corrupt, yes? So all files are corrupt? Or are items being deleted? Or what?

Alyssa Achuff

Alyssa Achuff

I did try to make it a .MOV, it was still unrecognizable. The card itself does not appear to be corrupted. It almost looks as if the two files were just deleted. Also, when I recovered it in RescuePro I was able to recover the files from the previous time I used the card, after reformatting it in the camera.

I was thinking that it was a camera error or something, the only thing I can even think of that was different with the one larger file that is missing, is the battery died while I was recording. It would have been a 2-3GB file. I have everything after I put the new battery in, but I'm missing the 2 files that were recorded when the battery was low and then when the battery died. Do you think the camera dying, may have corrupted the file somehow?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

That is actually exactly what it sounds like - the battery dying and card unable to "complete" the file.

Unfortunately, even though I've heard of this, I've never heard of anyone being able to do anything about it....

Alyssa Achuff

Alyssa Achuff

Yea, I had a feeling that was the problem. Its just so bizarre that the file is there but as a JPG.. :(

Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

I've encountered these corrupted files twice now.

Both instances with footage that was extremely important to my client. It's as if the camera KNOWs which files are important and purposely messes them up just to F with you.

Thank god for Grau BbR HD Video Repair Utility! This has saved my life both times.

Although I will say that even though this software saves the video, the audio portion is not always totally fixed, not that I would ever use 7D audio for anything......I just thought I would mention it.

scbc come worship

scbc come worship

Hi JB, I have a bad file name and m*v extension MVI_4p06.M*V. Cannot be loaded to your mp4repair link for analysis. Please advise. thx

High Definition Video LLC

High Definition Video LLC PRO

Final straw for the 7D in my staple. I won't go so far as to say they are toys since I absolutely love my 5D's but after this it's over. I just can't handle the idea of losing more clips. My 5D never gave me any issues like this. Even using junky 30mbs cards in the beginning. Not in a good place right now. 7D on ebay soon. Maybe even doing the whole thing over to Nikon.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

What kind of cards were you using (make, model, speed, etc)?

Might help with other people who might have the issues.

High Definition Video LLC

High Definition Video LLC PRO

Right. SanDisk Extreme 60MB/s 32GB First time using the card. I bought a PhotoFast 32GB 533x card for the 7d that gave me the same issue a while back but only once. I did get a ZERO kb file and I have lost files before. This was a lock down "saftey" shot and I need it. Just DL'd the Grau BbR software and it's there! Thank you!!!!!! Wish I had found it earlier! So that is the good new. Half battery not even half full card. It's the camera. It's happened to me on every card I have tried. Don't have the latest firmware though. Will do that now. I don't like this camera so I don't use it as much.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

The problem is that the issue is so sporadic that certain "fixes" are like lucky totems with Major League Baseball players, or any athletes I suppose (one guy I heard when all sports season without washing his, erm, "protector", if you understand me).

For me, I got the issues several times with Sandisk Extreme 16 GB cards, 60 mbs. When I switched to Lexar Pro 600x, never a problem since. So Lexar is my lucky totem.

Some people update to new firmware 1.2.5, never a problem again.

(At least, not YET.)

But it goes on and on. And there's been I think two people on this thread where it happened to them and they were using a 5Dmk2.

But the more instances that are documented, the better able we, the community at large, can handle it, or that Canon, or other camera makers, can figure out what to address.

But, hopefully one of the two items people here have talked about, the Aero Quartet or Grau Bbr works for you, and that helps a bit too.

Cheers.

Magpie Productions

Magpie Productions Plus

I am using a 5dmk2 and have had this very problem with about 30 files on several cards! When I copied the files over to my laptop during a shoot, I reformatted two of my cards. When I went to back up the files to an external drive, I get this same error: “MVI_0856.MOV” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)
I used 8 MB SanDisk Etreme 60MB/s UDMA cards.

Part of the problem may be that I was shooting at a glass blowing studio. It's very hot in there to begin with and the camera was super hot in my hands. It's a relatively new camera to me and I was trying it out. I probably need to reconsider using this camera for this purpose.

Perhaps if I had imported the files rather than copying the folder, I wouldn't be in this situation. I will test that out, as well as the other solutions offered here.

mike

mike Plus

The Grau Bbr worked for me (at least the demo version did.). I'm interested in purchasing the software, but $130 seems steep for something that I hope to never have to use again. In the life of my 7D (February 2010-current) I've only encountered 5 corrupt clips. Yes, that's 5 more than I would ever hope to encounter, and I'm sure there's some satisfaction in that I may never have to worry again, but it still seems pricey. Ugh. Decisions, decisions.

Casey Puccini

Casey Puccini

I know that the 'unlimited license' for Aero Quartet only lasts 15 days. Is that the case with Grau too?

a Nelson Production

a Nelson Production Plus

I have since sold my 7D and have been using Strictly Sandisk Extreme II 4 X 16gb and 2 X 32GB I have never received one corrupt file on my camera. As I have traveled around the world and back with it. 7D on the other hand was a disaster between the over heating and camera corrupting files. I really believe that you need to have a good system and take care of your cards. I always take all my files and dump to 3 hard drives throughout my shoots. Yes thats 3 copies... I then have every card formatted on the camera it will be shot on. Again I don't use these cards with any other device just use these for my canon cameras. I have seen some cards get messed up when I have used some audio H4n SD cards with a GoPro Hero or Hero2. The cards build up some sort of weird memory and don' t work in the devices. So dont abuse your cameras nor cards. Read your manual you are actually supposed to turn your camera off before you pull your card out. and have your camera off when you put you card in then turn it on. Just simple things like this can help with these problems. Also watch your battery level I had a 7d die while the card was writing and I lost the whole card. So carelessness costs...

Abdulrahman BinHenda

Abdulrahman BinHenda

Hello all,,

i spent the whole night yesterday reading through the thread,,

i don't know if my contribution would be of any help to anyone,,

i just bought a new canon 7D 3 days ago and i went through the "can't play back image/ video" straight from the first shoot,, i googled it couldn't find any solution for it,, then i bumped into this thread and learned that it might have to do with temperature/ humidity/ batter life etc. so i went on and tested the assumptions,, its pretty hot over the place i live at over 40 C ,, got the "can't play back image/ video",, my existing firmware is 1.2.5 ,, i thought it would be a waste of time to update to the same firmware version ,, today i thought of giving it a shot,, update my firmware from 1.2.5 to 1.2.5 (perhaps i should say reinstalled) ,,
so any how i used to get 3 corrupted images/ videos per 50-70 taken photos before re-installing, some of which the camera would write 2 images in top of each other, after re-installing the firmware i tested it for a bit shooting at different speeds and alternating between image/ video shooting ,, and its going well so far ,, with "ZERO" corrupted files until now,, i thought of sharing this to everyone if it would be of any help to any.

dan sanders

dan sanders

During filming of a short film, I had a 16gb Transcend CF card full of video, taken on a Canon 5D markII. The card became corrupt somehow. Both PC and MAC could not read the card. The camera gave an error message 'card not formatted' and would not show the clips. I tried various recovery software, but none could scan the disk as it was not reachable. I tried different card readers too, without success. In the end, I sent it to Recoverfab, a company in Germany that specializes in data recovery.
By removing the chip inside the card and reading it with a special piece of equipment, they were able to salvage my files. I would recommend this service to those unable to retrieve missing data - they saved my film and were helpful and efficient too!

Arthur Chan

Arthur Chan

I currently have this issue as well, mounted card with card reader to my mac, tried previewing files in founder.. computer was struggling to process files, next minute, card becomes corrupt and is now unable to be read by mac nor cam. Now trying to a find a method of recovering files. So did you send your card over to germany for this service?

dan sanders

dan sanders

Yes, I sent the card to Germany. Only an invasive approach seems to work once the card cannot be read.
The technicians often mention that it can often be the 'controller' part of the card that is malfunctioning - not the memory itself. The German company retrieved the files and put them on an ftp within two days of receiving the card - quite a relief.

Minky Productions

Minky Productions Plus

Canon 7D running 1.2.1 firmware and a San Disk 32GB 60mb card was working fine, never had any problems till a recent shoot. Lost 10 files back to back, as in above posts material is there but cannot open. Have updated to 1.2.5 and will re post if problem reoccurs. Thanks for all the above posts very helpfu!l

Sonya Paclob

Sonya Paclob

I never going to use 7D again. I never had this happen to me before with mt 5D Mark II. I have 42 files corrupted. I am having some luck with mp4repair.org/ which is a adaption of aeroquartet.com/movierepair/repair

What is interesting I am able to test my corrupt file on mp4repair.org/ and it gages you what they have recovered. You can see the images being recovered. I have no choice at this point. This is the only website that could give me some peace of mind. Nothing comes free. For my files its about $100.00. I'm going to throw down my pride and get these files recovered. Give you an update later.

RUSTIC MOTION

RUSTIC MOTION PRO

We had same trouble with 2 of our SanDisk 32Gb 95Mb/s...It happened 3 times on different cards so I don't think is the cards but the 7D (1.2.1 firmware) . I had to recover a 11min file using AeroQuartet and it cost me $80 for that...like most of you here, I had no choice :(
On the other hand, I had no issus with the overheating of the 7D...

loroto

loroto Plus

We had the same problem with our SanDisk extreme 32s. And the weirdest part is that we had it happen on two cards, back to back, on separate cameras which had never interchanged cards before. But in any case, we absolutely needed a few of the clips (it was a live music shoot) and after browsing other forums, this is the thread that lead to a solution. The Grau Bbr works really well. Audio was out of synch, but we got our audio from a live engineer anyway so it didn't matter (and like everyone says, you can't rely on the 7d for audio anyway).

Thanks for all of the help folks, this is huge.

Jimmy Scott Jr.

Jimmy Scott Jr.

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the input on this issue, I just read through the entire thread after having the problem happen to me last night. I have a 7d and I've shot over 100 local commercials, web videos, 30min TV shows and music videos with my 7d and 32GB 60MB SanDisk...and NEVER had one problem, until now. I was shooting a live music video with a my 7d and t3i. I had 8 total clips on the 7d, and only one clip was corrupt, the 5th clip. The file is 1.97GB. Luckily for me, this was a non-paying gig, but the thought of my 7d and trusty SD failing and that it could possibly fail again is frustrating to say the least. BTW I'm on a MAC and importing from a SD reader.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Hey Jimmy,

Hopefully, Aeroquartet or Grau Bbr will work for you. I initially started this post before I didn't know what to do, and I got on two different 7D bodies on two different Sandisk CF cards. And yet, after that drastic week of it happening a bunch of times (and then updating firmware and switching brands), I've not had the problem again since. It can be such a fickle anomaly for sure. But at least we got an answer to it, even if it is a paying one and not a free one. So far anyway.

Cheers.

Keith Paugh

Keith Paugh Plus

Always so nice to find exactly what you are looking for from the internet. Thank you R6L and everyone who has posted, for your information.

I've shot regularly (weekly) on my 7D (running 1.2.1 firmware and the same San Disk Extreme 32GB 60mb card) for 3 years without encountering this "cannot playback file" issue.

Had 2 out of 11 clips go bad on me last night. (Normal temps. & conditions - freshly camera formatted card, 3rd party battery).

I have now updated my firmware to 1.2.5, and just filled the card with video footage to capacity without incident. Fingers crossed. I may format and fill my card again to test further.

So good to know about the tried recovery software options out there. I may invest in a Lexar 16GB 1000x UDMA as well to hedge my bets.

I will be very curious to see what effect (if any) this new, highly advertised 2.0.X update has on this thread.

Best.

Luminosity Lab

Luminosity Lab Plus

Yeah this sucks. Somebody needs to create a free fix and they could get enough traffic to sell ads. With all the encoding software it's surprising that this hasn't already been done.

Any updates from anybody?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

For a free service? No.

Just part of "that's just how it goes"...

ION MARIN

ION MARIN Plus

Grau BbR HD Video Repair Utility is WORKING ! i managed to recover my corrupted 7d files !

Mike Santaella

Mike Santaella

wow.... what to do now... thanks for all the above posts I guess I will slowly go through from the cheapest solution to the $$ repairs for my corrupt files. Luckily in my case it was a shoot that wasn't a big deal in contrast to the wedding I shot a few days before (in which I filled up 6 16mb san disc cards with on my 7D). Just encountered this problem however after using my 7d for about two years now, so maybe I lucked out....
And maybe this is a good excuse to move to a a 5dIII? Anybody since had a problem with this camera?

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Mike,

Since my initial problem with the 7D (and upgrading to newer firmware and changing brands on CF card) I've not had the problem since. I do have the mk3 as well, and not had the problem at all so far with it

Cheers!

scbc come worship

scbc come worship

Hi Matt, rescuepro was able to recover 4 of the 6 corrupted mov files. I shot with 7d and with sandisk extreme 60mb/s cards. I cannot remember if I ran out of battery at the time. In any case, as you mentioned, those two happened to be two of the most important footage of the wedding day. This is frustrating. Any advice? Thanks.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

scbc,

Just logged in today and saw your comment. Any further progress with your dilemma with the remaining two files? Other than what has been offered here, I haven't seen much else that could work.

Zettisch Tamás

Zettisch Tamás Plus

I've recently had some corrupt files too. 7D, not yet upgraded to FW 1.2.5. I was recording clips at a concert. The first few were fine, so were the last few, but the 17 clips inbetween them were corrupted. I received no in-camera warnings, my battery was fully charged, and the 32gig sandisk extreme III card was empty as well (not sure if I formatted it or not).
Gonna upgrade the FW, format before every shoot, and looks like that 50% free recovery software can do the job for my files.

By the way, I now see a 2.0.3. firmware upgrade on the canon website, however there is nothing in the description that relates to this problem, 1.2.5. was the last update to address this (according to the descriptions)

Jacob Webber

Jacob Webber

to all those who think that buying a 5dII is the answer, think again. My mark II has played up ALOT in the last 2-3 months, to the point where im afraid of using it for anything important. commonly get the "card not formatted" error after reinserting my CF after its been attached to my macbook via card reader. No bent pins. Replaced card readers. Everytime i connect card to computer i am pretty much preying that my card is recognised correctly, on the odd occasion my quicktime files are all corrupt...their extensions are .mkv and .t@m and oddly enough when the cards name is EOS_Digital usually, it sometimes says EOS_Digitil (with an I)...i am not kidding. Tried different PCs with same result. This is made me want to get rid of my 5D. Sick of this and do not think I should be getting this after spending 2.5k of my hard earned cash on a PROFESSIONAL piece of equipment. NOT.GOOD.ENOUGH.CANON

invisible sessions

invisible sessions Plus

Jacob, did you ever recover the footage you lost with the corrupt .mkv files? I'm just experiencing this for the first time. Is it a card problem or a camera problem?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.