Mutcluck

Mutcluck

OBSTRUCTIONIST #2 is announced!!!! Check out the thread and join in.
vimeo.com/groups/obstructionist/forumthread:2952
Also an announcement video... "heart" the video and spread the word. Game on!!!
vimeo.com/groups/obstructionist/videos/2952792

----------
and now back to The post that started the thread a year back--------------------
I've had an idea ruminating for a couple years. I've always wanted to have multiple directors take a crack at a single short film. The only restriction is that the dialogue is the same in all the films, while settings, action, choice of actor/actress or swapping genders is entirely up to the director.

With several pieces produced from one script, these films could be shown individually an then be edited together into one more experimental piece in which the through action of the script will constantly be maintained by various actor/actresses all playing the same role. I think it could be very interesting.

Let me know if anyone is feeling this idea, and maybe we can start bouncing around short script ideas, or maybe someone reading this has a short film script ready to get this sort of treatment. We could also have one or two stylistic shots required in the film to make the transitions between films in the remix part of the project.

So this is the outline.

1. THE SCRIPT: Pick a 1-3 page script (strip away some of the descriptions to make it easier to have one's own interpretation.)
2. THE COVER: Several directors shoot their version. Hopefully there will be wide differences in setting, actors, and even potentially plot (if we pick a script ambiguous enough)
3. THE REMIX: various editors download their favorite versions and work on creating a new remix of the film. It may have it's own point of view or may be just an alternative retelling of the original story using lots of different actors/setting and version.

Sorry bout not having videos yet. I'm new to the site and will be uploading some HD soon.

- Mutcluck

Mario Niebles

Mario Niebles

yet better: why not shooting in different languages, from different places around the world??! :o

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Sorry for the slow reply. Mario, i'd love to see the first obstructionist in another language. We had one in French, but it wasn't from native speakers per se.

SteveR

SteveR Plus

This is an interesting idea. I'd be willing to have a go.

Remyyy

Remyyy Plus

This idea is really really really great.

AdamPellinDeeve

AdamPellinDeeve Plus

Great idea. I love the idea of creating a short-film standard. Why not write the script youself? Have you checked whether it has been done before?

A similar idea could be to have just a few words like: "No" "Oh" "Ah" "Okay" for example, opening the project up to a larger number of people and interpretations (but probably making a remix a bit more difficult).

Caroline Martin

Caroline Martin

I would enjoy participating in this! Let's make it happen, please?

Joshua R

Joshua R

I am game. I personally vote a super short script, 1 page type stuff.

Adam Holwerda

Adam Holwerda Plus

“Dear God, Bob, what is it?!”

“You know what it is, Martha. Don’t play games with me.”

“It has to be the most…the…strangest…”

“Yes, it is quite strange. But we both knew that. That’s the reason we’re here, isn’t it?”

“Well. John is really the reason we’re here. If it hadn’t been for him, none of this would have been possible.”

“Would your mother approve?”

“Of course! She wanted me to have it. She left me precise instructions on how to use it just before she died. She told me that I was lucky.”

“Well, you are. It’s yours. John made it, you know.”

“He did?”

“After a fashion.”

Adam Holwerda

Adam Holwerda Plus

Sorry...these weird things came up when I tried to edit them. Plot ambiguity up the yin yang. And sorry Josh.

AdamPellinDeeve

AdamPellinDeeve Plus

I think this script is almost perfect. I love the ambiguity. I have a slight reservation about the first line in that it leads the rest of it into comedy. I don't think I could be totally convinced by an English actor seriously saying, "Dear God, Bob!" Without it, I think this script could be executed in any genre, any place, any time. How about dropping the main character's names altogether? I would hardly ever use a person's name if I already have their attention. For me, this seems to be a way of talking that only exists on television. I think it would be really nice if John is the only named character. It's also a great name that can be adapted to Jan, Johan, Jean, whatever language is being used.

3d60

3d60

yes adam this is an acute observation you have made Mr holwerda has fallen in to the the context trap.....as little context as possible leads to larger and potentially more creative ambiguity. What you say Adams?

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Wow. What a great response to my post. This community is awesome. I'm in the middle of traveling right now. Actually in Kigali Rwanda currently. The internet was down today and the network speed may not be up to the task of me doing uploads, but I can shoot some video out here too. Maybe I'll take a crack at Adam's script or someone elses if it's volunteered. Sweet addition to the thread with your script. I may take a crack at writing something too, but maybe I'll just shoot yours. I kind of agree with deeves re: dropping names from the script or making them genderless ie Alex etc.

Adam Holwerda

Adam Holwerda Plus

Fine with me. I don't think the script should be anything rigid. Artistic liberties can be and often should be taken - names can change, not exist, dialog can be slightly altered...So. Yeah.

Brown

Brown

I'm up for it too,
Have you seen The Five Obstructions? could be good for inspiration

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

I have (NOW). Coincidence that I just saw it on the shelf at Borders yesterday.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

How bout we pick a date to have a script in by. Maybe a week from today. Or less.

Everyone can vote via comment on the one they want to do this with. Then the one with most votes, we use.

It will work best if we get as many people to take on one project rather than a couple. We may want to put together a little video to introduce the concept, once we pick a script. What does everyone think about that as a gameplan?

AdamPellinDeeve

AdamPellinDeeve Plus

I think you should choose the script, set the rules, make the channel, and let this monster loose for generation after generation to take on! Yeah!

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Also, we may want to put some descriptions in the original script, so it reads as a coherent idea and film, with an understanding and instructions that a director should feel free to ripout and change any description or actions in the script as long as all the dialogue remains in it. One could even switch dialogue from one character to another.

I always thought of it as the way that playwrights have taken liberties with Shakespeare to reinvent his plays.

Without any descriptions it might feel daunting for some people/directors who don't want to truly reinvent the script and rather just make an interesting short with a couple tweaks. Without description, every director has to completely write a script, which may dissaude them from participating because of the extra effort and mindf**ck involved in the process. I think similar films (descriptions and actions being similar) would be as interesting as the films that were major departures from the original. I want to see both types of films in the process. I'd really love for this idea to work, I think it could be pretty amazing.

AdamPellinDeeve

AdamPellinDeeve Plus

Including details that can be changed might get confusing. I think it would be freeing rather than daunting to just present a spoken script.

I love the idea that the dialogue isn't specific to a character. Maybe presenting the script as a paragraph would give this project many more possibilities, such as splitting it between a dozen characters or presenting it as a crazed monologue. Here's Adam Holwerda's script in this form as an example:

Dear God, Bob, what is it?! You know what it is, Martha. Don’t play games with me. It has to be the most…the…strangest… Yes, it is quite strange. But we both knew that. That’s the reason we’re here, isn’t it? Well. John is really the reason we’re here. If it hadn’t been for him, none of this would have been possible. Would your mother approve? Of course! She wanted me to have it. She left me precise instructions on how to use it just before she died. She told me that I was lucky. Well, you are. It’s yours. John made it, you know. He did? After a fashion.

AdamPellinDeeve

AdamPellinDeeve Plus

Or even (and this may be taking things too far) as a sentence lacking punctuation:

Dear God Bob what is it you know what it is Martha don’t play games with me it has to be the most the strangest yes it is quite strange but we both knew that that’s the reason we’re here isn’t it well John is really the reason we’re here if it hadn’t been for him none of this would have been possible would your mother approve of course she wanted me to have it she left me precise instructions on how to use it just before she died she told me that I was lucky well you are it’s yours John made it you know he did after a fashion.

Then the director could make lines such as:

John made it you know?
He did?
After a fashion.

John made it you know?
He did... after a fashion.

John made it?
You know he did!
After a fashion.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

I think you're on to something there. I think freeing it up like that would definitely encourage more variety and creative expression.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

I haven't seen the 5 Obstructions. Is it on vimeo or another site?

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Sounds like a pretty amazing film. I'm going to have to check it out. I loved Von Triers "The Idiots". I think there's always more ideas to explore since the French New Wave and Dogma 95. It seems like its similar to the above idea. Hoping the online Remix is a way to do something more along the lines of this new generation and taking it one step further. Either or, I'm excited by what we can do with this here on vimeo.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

I think Vimeo is the perfect place to explore the obstruction technique. I'm going to try to submit a script for this project... it's just a matter of finding spare time to do it.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

Alright... I'm making a channel for this purpose...!

...wait maybe someone else should make a channel. I'm too unreliable.

Patrick Kirk

Patrick Kirk Plus

Count me in as well. The suggested script looks like a lot of fun. But whatever is eventaully chosen, how about setting some dates and times to have a script selected, each persons version shot/uploaded, etc? Nothing stringent or immeadiate, mind you, but just something to make certain everyone gets going and those of us that are constantly busy know when to wedge it into our schedule.

BRYAN M. FERGUSON

BRYAN M. FERGUSON

I'll give this a go too once the script is in! Sounds great.

Obar

Obar

id consider trying

3d60

3d60

I'm in ...bring it on..

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Wow. Awesome. Paul, are you up for making the channel? I just got my first video up on vimeo. i'm super stoaked. Even out here in Africa with barely any bandwidth, it eventually worked. Best to have someone who really knows vimeo to run the channel. i'm still a bit of a newby.

Let's set these dates: My thoughts below. What are yours?

Script due. one week?
Voting over. one week? maybe less.
Finished Covers. 3-4 weeks?
Remixes begin/end. 3-4 weeks?

Although remixes can be forever really, but a due date will get a couple flowing which will be good for the overall project and general experiment.

Per Adam's thoughts, maybe each script can be broken into two forms. The full unambigous script with descriptions and character names and the paragraph without punctuation for the most creative types.

While I think the ambiguous script is more creative and will lead to the most variation, I also like the possible remixes available when directors also follow a consistent through line. These films could be edited together seemlessly. It also might be extremely exciting.

What does everyone think?

Oh yeah, Directors should upload 2 versions of their "Covers" one with soundtrack and one without to help the editors in the remix phase.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

I think I'll be able to pull it off... as long as no one expects too much. Hah. I have to install my new adsl connection at my apartment... Finally I'll be able to waste time on vimeo at home instead of work!

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

I was thinking this could be an ongoing thing... with each project placing different restrictions on the films... as the first being everyone uses the same dialogue... there could be other ways of manipulating the filmmaking process... anyway... channel url here:

vimeo.com/obstructionist

-- there's nothing there yet. I'll update it tonight.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

That's a great idea Paul. Very cool. So what does everyone think of the timeline I threw out for the first project?

Also what's a catchy name for the first project that explaiins it in a word or two. Don't think my title is that eye catching.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

'One Script, Multiple Films' seems good. In my opinion. Unless someone else can think of a better name

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

I love the channel page. Great work Paul.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

It's pretty much set up now. I'm going to bed. Anyone that wishes to participate, there is now a forum at the channel page: vimeo.com/obstructionist/forum:1590

And I've created a logo for it. If anyone wants to make another one, feel free. I think the file upload feature of the channel will help a lot with sharing scripts and whatnot.

And once due dates have been decided I guess we can add a calendar thing that let's people know... or something. Anyway... I sleep now.

Yay!

Ben Millett

Ben Millett

wait, are you the lost skeleton of Cadavra? Only he can say "i sleep now."

Joel Curran

Joel Curran

That film is awesome!
I hate you! You...boney...idiot.

Jonathan Marcus

Jonathan Marcus Plus

Wow. This project is really exciting. Let me know if there is anything special Vimeo can do to support it. I am going to subscribe to the Channel.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

Actually Jonathan,

I made a feature request which related to this project specifically. (vimeo.com/forums/topic:3462)

I think it would increase the interactivity of channels for projects like this.

Patrick Kirk

Patrick Kirk Plus

Well done, sir. I can't wait for a script to be selected so we can start shooting.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

Okay, so December 1st (Melbourne time - not sure what day that is in other parts of the world, but it's my Saturday.) is the deadline to get them in by - please email your script to the.obstructionists@gmail.com

On December 1st I'll go through them all and then I'll make them available for all to download from the channel page.
Then we'll hold a vote to see which is the most popular - this will probably also go by email.

So get going. I can't wait to read them.

DJ Paine

DJ Paine Plus

paul, get Kris allison onto this job.

i'm in.

David Hinds

David Hinds

I would love to do this sort of thing, if you dont mind one being an ameteur production with kids who cant act.

i actually think it would make an interesting take on it..

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

You're totally welcome to join in. As far as I know we're all amateurs here.

Obar

Obar

im definitely a professional... definitely

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

This is just a reminder that the deadline for scripts is closing in! If you want to submit one please email it to: the.obstructionists@gmail.com
December 1st is the official deadline for scripts, and I'd hate to have to extend the deadline due to lack of submissions, because that would make me look really lame!

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

... speaking of lame

There hasn't been a stampede of scripts, so if you're holding off just to impress me at the last minute you need to be quick. I'll wait until the end of today and post up the option(s*) before I retire for the evening.

*"Options" assumes there is more than one to choose from. If that is not the case, I will simply post the script and people can get started on their films.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

One submission!

I'd say holding a vote would be a waste of time... so Adam Deeves' script wins! Thankyou Adam for taking pity on me and submitting something.

Adam provided the script in 3 formats, all of which are in the text file. It's up to you which version you use - so long as the words remain intact.

Everyone go download it and start making your films, it's in the files section of the channel.

Ben Millett

Ben Millett

Congrats Adam Deeve for providing the winning script. ...off to get it.

Ben Millett

Ben Millett

Question. Do you care which version of the script we use? So we can add the punctuation, etc., ourselves in the punctuation-less version?

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

You can use any of the variations... that's why it's been provided in such a way. Only the words matter... you can play with them to create whatever meaning you wish and yes punctuation and even which character is speaking the words is entirely up to you... you could even - and this is just off the top of my head - assign some or all of the words to a narrator, or not even have them spoken at all, but instead appear as text.

AdamPellinDeeve

AdamPellinDeeve Plus

Hello, I've not been around for a while, so this is a nice surprise! Now I can add to my CV that I've written the script for X number of short films!

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

I'm re-interpreting the script as we speak with my own punctuation and take. Splitting it into 4 or 5 scenes I think. I'm going to shoot different sections throughout Southern Africa. Saw photos of a ghost town half covered in sand in Namibia from a fellow traveler. It'll definitely be one location on the shoot.

Also might additionally do a less cohesive piece where I get random people we meet on our travels to deliver a single line of the script. Might end up kind of fun.

Hoping everyone else is busy brainstorming and getting ready for a shoot. I'm really looking forward to the diversity of approaches and eventually the remixes that they'll inspire.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

That sounds so awesome. Mine will most likely be some streets around near my house or even in my house. I'm not so adventurous. I wish when I was traveling I had some film in mind and the forethought to film bits of it whenever I found myself in a spectacular surrounding. Next time I go overseas, I'll certainly try it out.

Obar

Obar

thats a very "blair witch project" script

sweet

i wish i had friends that would do this with me...

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

The good thing about this script is that it can be a Blair Witchey thing if that's what you see in it, and something else entirely depending on how you look at it.

My view of it is completely different. Hopefully we'll get a lot of really different films!

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

I'm sure you could pull it off with just you and a tripod. Or something abstract with subtitles. Hey puppets and army men are always an option. I'd love to see that. The weirder the better.

Anything goes as long as the words remain!

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

I've been brainstorming, and I think I've come up with a really good idea... of course, that idea is a secret, but I just thought I'd let you guys know.

Now, all I need is a camera and some people willing to stand in front of it. Ha! Off I go to find them!

AdamPellinDeeve

AdamPellinDeeve Plus

I've just discovered that my script was chosen by default. How funny. If it's any help to anyone, I tried to word it so that although there is reference to a journey, it's vague enough that it needn't be a physical one. I can't wait to see the first entry and eventually an alternative script!

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

Just because it was chosen by default doesn't mean it's not perfect for the project. You put a story in my head, and now I'm obsessed with it.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

I finished the one scene in the Namibian Ghost mining town two days ago. There are some really amazing visuals due to the scenery. Hopefully it cuts together okay. The two of us traveling where the actors, directors, and cameramen on the shoot and since we're on the move everyday we didn't review the footage. Hopefully it works, but wasn't an ideal shoot for that reason. Only 3 more mini-scenes to wrap the film.

Definitely doing a desert scene tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully my "reworking" of the script will make sense in the final cut, but now I'm working backwards from the ghost town scene since it'll end the film. May have to rethink what I originally planned for since we made a last minute large change to the plot/action at the ghost town.

When's the deadline again? I'd love to hear about other people's progress or even read the reworkings of anyone's scripts with new punctuation, rearranging, and descriptions of actions and locations etc if anyone wants to share.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

The deadline is like 14th of January before we move onto the remixing stage... I'm happy to have people continue making them forever though.

Bill Newsinger

Bill Newsinger Plus

I think you need a new page or base for the videos for this project.....there are too many posts!

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

You rock Steve. I just watched the film. Marmite meets the French New Wave. That was great. Gotta try some of that wonderful spread when I head through London in January.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm still going to try the Marmite. Happy New Year everyone.

My film is in the can/on tape. It's going to be a little bit confusing though. No exact plot and the way I moved around the dialogue and timeline might be confusing but the ghost town looks great.

Unfortunately I got robbed in Oshakati, Namibia and lost all my HD footage from the film, my HV20, and my shotgun mic. I'm bummed, but the film wasn't ruined. It was mostly additional coverage since my friend Pedro brought his Panasonic AGDVX 100A which looked better.

We used it as the primary camera even though its not HD. I should have the final cut up on the site by January 15th. Hopefully I can't get the editing done in Kigali.

I may also upload a "loose" cut afterward which has extra footage around the edits so it give the editors some flexibility if they want to use any of it in the remix. Also might include some B roll/alternate takes for everyone.

Can't wait to see what other people are up to.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

How are the projects going? I'm wrapping up my rough cut currently. Definitely need to spend some more time fine tuning and dealing with some poor audio. Since my B camera was stolen along with the tapes, I lost half my audio and half the angles. It's looking pretty though.

ed

ed

I'm going to shoot the video for mine this weekend.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

I think this Sunday is a good time for people to aim to get their films up. We won't be too strict about it, but we will be castrating anyone who doesn't make the deadline. Bwahahaaahaa!

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

Everyone... Don't worry about the deadline - really it was set just to encourage people to do it. If you're still working on your films we won't actually be stopping anyone from posting them... bleh.

Illustrated Sandwich

Illustrated Sandwich

hey i am brand spankin new to vimeo- i would love to play-- it's late in the process but i think i can catch up-- could you direct me to the script (i didn't see anyones peices yet so i will be fresh on the approach) thanks yous guys!!

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Any Obstructionist films in the works? Maybe we should start a new thread and come up with a second obstructionist challenge or a second short script to work from. I'd love to do the opposite of the first. Aim for specificity in the script rather than ambiguity. What do you all think?

ed

ed

I'm game, but not a script writer.

Kristopher

Kristopher

vimeo.com/716025

Just heard about this contest the other day. Put up a quick response. I'd be interested in another challenge as well.

Paul McClintock

Paul McClintock

Thanks for taking part Kris. I've added it to the channel.

Dylan Kelly

Dylan Kelly

If this happens I would be incredibly down.

Robert Hubert

Robert Hubert

I have an idea! I just wrote a 30 page scrip for a project, the movie is about day dreams. I had to cut it down to about 10 pages for the time I have to film, so I have 20 pages of good stuff we could use! I would love to make one and edit them! Message me if you want to read or like the idea!

matias garabedian

matias garabedian

Hey! Let me in, i will have my HD next week, where is the script?

Kristopher

Kristopher

Going with Mutcluck's idea for specificity...what if it was just a very simple and specific script? I had an idea while driving today of a 'how to' video. The script could be something very simple, like "How to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich." The variety could come in with amount of actors, cinematography, overall mood, etc. of each video.
Does this sound interesting or is it too simplistic?

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

I'm going to start a new thread. This one requires clicking see more after hitting 100 posts. I'm interested in reading the left over chunks from Robbie's script. Maybe there's gold in there for the next obstructionist.

And now that there's 4 videos, if anyone wants to remix the footage into something weird and artistic, that was supposed to be Part 3 of the project. THE REMIX. Not sure if it would make any sense, but it might be cool visually. No need to keep all or any of the words etc in this part of the project. Sky's the limit on creatively remixing, adding new audio, cutting things up etc. I'll do it tonight.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Starting a New Thread. Sorry I've been lax on this.

Fanx

Fanx

Will there be another project like this Mutcluck? Sounds awesome to me, would love to cooperate.
If need for, I could write a script with my partner-in-crime for writing stories. Just give me a theme and three words to start with and I'll do my best!

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Join the obstructionist group.

vimeo.com/groups/obstructionist

We're looking to get another project started. I was thinking we could do something similar but with a script that is specific rather than nebulous. Shane Collins had an interesting idea of having the obstruction be to shoot POV style for the short.

Sky's the limit, but I think it's best to get consensus on a project before starting, since the more people who participate the more fun it will be to see the variationis. I'd love to see someone remix the 5 projects that exist for the first challenge. That was supposed to be the final step, but no one has yet to take it on.

Kent Edwards

Kent Edwards

just make it a weekly thing. whoever wants to post a short script ,should. and then whoever wants to have a crack at the script each week can produce their own project in their own interpretation. make the scripts simple and to the point so that they can get produced faster.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Kent,

I think simple is good, but weekly might be more than most of us can deliver on. I'd love to have a script per month. Even the simplest script can be very time consuming to interpret and shoot.

But the more scripts, the better, so we can choose one to work with.

- Mutchler

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

great, join the group and throw your ideas in.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Join the group and throw your ideas in the mix.

Sam Herniman

Sam Herniman

sounds fun how about having a few different styles of filming for the project like pixilation (stop-motion involving people)

Harrison Houde

Harrison Houde

what would make it really good is to film different languages and different places all around the world the same script..

Jonathan Salvo

Jonathan Salvo

This is a really great idea. For one assignment I had in art school, we were each told to write a short script and create the film. Before they were screened, we traded our script with one other person for them to film our story and we screened all the films when they were complete. It was a super cool exercise and I'd be interested in doing something similar again.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Don't know if you've joined the obstructionist group yet. Hoping we can get some traction on one of the scripts we have written up.

I'm thinking we pick the shorter of the two and bookend a middle section of the directors choosing with two versions of the original script with obstructions placed on both picked from a list of 10 or so choices. Read Futility and Feeling Good at Work.

Chris Offner

Chris Offner Plus

Count me in as well - I'd be excited to participate in this kind of project!

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Join the obstructionist group and jump on the threads there. I'd love to get some momentum on one of the scripts.

Old New Agers

Old New Agers

yah. this sounds like a brilliant idea. what's the hold up?

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Hold up is really getting consensus and momentum on the second project. Join the obstructionist group and jump on the threads there.

We did 5 films for the first project. I'd like to double or triple the participation in this next one.

inazio

inazio

Im a bit surprised by the idea. If the script is good, it's telling you what to shoot.......
If I write:"A table. A coffee. A hand." What shots would u use? Wouldnt they be different from "a table, a coffee and a hand"? I think so......
mmmmm, so I think the whole idea is based on a wrong concept: A BAD SCRIPT.......
But anyway, I also like the idea......hahahaha!

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

The group/channel is a bit of a mess currently because of spammers. Haven't figured out how to organize and get groups more focused. I'd love to put all the spammish videos in an album and put obstructionist videos in another. Kind of feel vimeo needs to allow moderators the ability to add structure to groups when necessary. if this power exists... along with a sticky topic that always stays on the opening page... I'd love to know.

Check out the videos that came out of the first obstructionist challenge. Very different. Definitely came from what you'd call a 'BAD SCRIPT' which made it easy to be different but hard to be 'GOOD' in the most conventional sense... since it was always straining to have a plot or logic to it.

I'd be interested in taking a good detailed script and letting people throw out descriptions and chunks of dialogue they wanted to change or not use. I'd be super interested in seeing 4 or 5 films that have a similarities but are executed different and may explore very different ideas both in execution, visuals and tone.

ed

ed

I liked the difference. The interpretation is what I think made it interesting.

Roby Meola

Roby Meola

This project sounds fun! If you need music, I'll be more than happy to compose for any of the versions -

or all of them :-)

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Thanks for the offer Roby. Hopefully we can get things going in the right direction. Anyone feel like just making the next obstructionist challenge to be the Project Direct project on youtube. We can post here and do it for youtube also. Turn around is pretty tight. Due December 14th. It's super open to interpretation. The only requirement is to include a RED PHONE... and two other props that come from a list of 25.

youtube.com/projectdirect

Might be a good way to kill two birds with one stone and get things going again in this group. What say you. Ed? Roby? anyone else.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

anonanony,

That is awesome. Can't wait for the remix? Good luck editing it all together.

-Mutcluck

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

OBSTRUCTIONIST #2 ANNOUNCED!!!!

You must use the opening 3 lines of "What's That" vimeo.com/groups/obstructionist/file:983 and the final line of it. Everything else can be open to interpretation

You must also must follow at least one of the below obstructions:

1) Short Film executed in exactly 13 shots... each shot being twice the length of the proceeding until the midway point and then reverse that order. ie: .25, .5, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1, .5, .25.
2) Make use of capturing/acting at manic fast speed to then slow down to "regular" speed in the edit.
3)Make use of capturing/acting at a slow exaggerated speed to then speed up in the edit to "regular" speed
4) Done entirely in one take (mobile camera)
5) Done entirely in one static frame (make the action in and out of the frame interesting though)
6) No edit lasts more than 1 second ala the 5 obstructions.
7) One actor plays all the parts. Use split screens and editing tricks.
8) Shoot in a busy public setting ie train station, public bus... crowded theater, bar or restaurant... and hopefully also include doc-esque footage and true interactive responses and reactions by real people unaware of what you're trying to accomplish during filming.

----------------------
REQUIRED DIALOGUE - "WHAT'S THAT"

Hmmm. Well.. What’s that.

What do you mean ?

No Seriously… What is that ? I mean – you know – what’s it for ?

OPEN TO ANY AND ALL INTERPRETATION OR FOLLOW SCRIPT

…Seriously… What is it anyway?

If there are any volunteers to put together a text/image based video like Paul McClintock's call for scripts for Obstructionist #1 to discuss the rules etc... that might help get the message out beyond this thread.

bartleby

bartleby

Hi Mutcluck,

I think that's a fascinating idea. As soon as I have any time I'll try and put one together.

We're working on something slightly similar at the Simple Lies Experiment. Costume is character. Have a look if you're interested. We've got a bunch of scripts - some filmed, others not - on the main website if you want some more scenes.

Cheers,

b

thesimplelies.com
vimeo.com/groups/simplelies

jen

jen

i will make a film, but not a script. post it and they will film.

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

A script is up. Check out the group. Wal and Bartleby already made films. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Lobotomía Films

Lobotomía Films

i'm in... i can shoot some stuff here in mty mexico, we have some great mountains and stuff

Sebastian Concha

Sebastian Concha Plus

i've got a short script, but its quite ambigous..
Ill translate it and post it later.

Old Rectory Pictures

Old Rectory Pictures Plus

Hey, I'm relatively new to vimeo so am just having a look around. Your idea sounds interesting, has anyone done it yet? I actually did a piece along the same kind of lines, was 4 directors with a common theme which was WWII. We had our separate scripts and shot separately and it was really interesting to see it finally put together.
Are you guys putting a new script out there anytime soon?

stribiz

stribiz Plus

hi!
i was close to open a webpage for a scriptwriting-project close to your idea. i forgot it again, because i was afraid of to much work on organizing the peoples mind. ... to be honest, i also didn't read all the comments on this ... lets call it blog!

but i still think i would be a very special festival. like experimental-filmprojects which now are called 48 hours shortfilmfestival.

so maybee a good idea is to start it as an festival! vimeo is perfect base to show all realised shortfilms bu you need somekind of a starting shot! ... maybee you ask someone from a filmfestival close to you. they maybee will be interested in a special part/ workshop/ prize ... based on your idea!

but for sure you need a clear script with good dramatic composition. a bad script is always a bad movie, but a good script doesn't mean that the movie will be good! it needs a good director/ a good idea for the way to shoot/ good actors ... so on creativ and experienced people! but i don't have to say you this!

best regards and interests in way your idea will go!
chriz

stribiz

stribiz Plus

oops ... i haven't seen that there are another fifty threads with concret scriptwriting ideas. I#ll take a look at the obstructionists page.

bye

George Kotelnikov

George Kotelnikov

I have a few short absurdist pieces that I think would be perfect for this sort of endeavor.

They're not too ambiguous, but have enough dynamic in the dialogue for a wide spectrum of artistic liberties.

First time in these parts of Vimeo, so I'm not too familiar with the process.

bob kelly

bob kelly

COunt me in if you have a script.

david m. helman

david m. helman Plus

oh man, i just did this project for a class (and i made a topic without reading this one). if you guys want an idea for the script. you can take a look at my film:

vimeo.com/4723738

Kevyn Bashore

Kevyn Bashore

Wow... Yeah, I've had this same idea for about 20 years, so it's cool that you're actually doing it. Wish I would have seen this thread when it started...

david canelo

david canelo

Excellent idea. I'm a film Director and I'm also in.
Let's meet and start the project.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.