Thomas Decaux

Thomas Decaux

Hi guys,

Thanks for your great job and the doc, really simple to have a Flex project playing a vimeo video !

Just one thing, I am using the verison 2 of the API and no events are fired apart the ready event ;-( Currently I solved the problem by creating a Timer to read the play interval and duration but its quite dirty.

Is it normal ?

Cheers

Andrew Dinmore

Andrew Dinmore

I'm seeing the same.

With Flash 9 I see no events, whichever API version.
With Flash 10 I see none for v1 and just ready, being fired continuously, with v2.

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Andrew,

Similar to my response to Dany and Thomas below. Could you please let us know if the events are still not firing for you? They seem to be working fine in all my tests, but we just want to make sure they're working for you as well.

Let us know.

Thanks,
Ryan

Dany Dhondt

Dany Dhondt

Same problem with me. I want to capture the finish event too but no luck!
Anyone??

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Dany,

Similar to my response to Thomas below, I have tested this and all the events seem to be firing fine for me. Could you please let us know if you are still seeing issues with the events? Also, please let us know which version of the player ('9' or '10') and API (1 or 2) you are using.

Thanks,
Ryan

Thomas Decaux

Thomas Decaux

Hi Dany, I have a solution for you (quite dirty but working !) :

Use a timer running 500ms, check the video duration and the video play progress time ....

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Thomas,

I just wanted to check-in and see if you are still having this issue. I have tested this thoroughly with the "fp_version='10'" and "api_version=2" configuration of the player and all the events seem to fire fine for me.

There was an issue in the VimeoPlayer class that could have caused issues when relying on events from "api_version=1", but I have pushed up an update that corrects that issue.

Please let us know if you are still having those issues and hopefully we can work together to resolve them.

Thanks,
Ryan

Thomas Decaux

Thomas Decaux

Still no events for me, I just copy/paste your exemple and API from GIT. I am on Flex 3, compiled and running on flash 10

Cheers

Thomas Decaux

Thomas Decaux

Hi Ryan, your example could not work, you use 3D stuff with a crossdomain content, which throws security error !

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Thomas,

That shouldn't be the case. Could you try clearing your cache and see if you run into the same issue? We just pushed out a new version of the player that should resolve that.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ana Todica

Ana Todica

Hello,

I have the same problem, no events are fired, except the READY one (continuously). I'm using the VimeoPlayer class provided as an example. Is there any way to make it work?
(Yes, Ryan's example does work for me).

Thanks in advance,
Ana

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Ana,

I haven't been able to pinpoint why this is happening. I have published SWFs from both Flash and using the FlexSDK and they all seem to fire the events properly. I am going to continue to look into this. Could you please let me know how you are publishing your SWFs so I can get more input on the environments people are using?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ana Todica

Ana Todica

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for your reply. I have made some progress with this issue. I wasn't able to get this to work while testing on the local machine, but after moving everything online the events do fire. So maybe this problem has to do with Flash Player security restrictions that apply to event dispatching and receiving.

If this helps you, I'm using Flash Builder 4 with Flex SDK 4.1, I'm compiling for Flash Player 10.1, and testing in Flash Player 10.2.

[Edit]
There's one more thing: the event fired on PLAY_PROGRESS doesn't contain any useful information. The 'data' object within is simply NaN and everything else is either undefined, or null.

Thank you,
Ana

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Ana,

Thanks for the info. Actually, that's pretty interesting, because most people are experiencing the complete opposite. Events fire fine locally, but only READY fires when the files have been placed on a web server.

I don't have Flash Builder, but I believe that was referenced a few other times. Not sure whether that is the culprit or not, but at least it's a start.

As far as the the goes, which version of the API are you using, version 1 (js_api=1) or version 1 (api=1)?

Thanks again for your help, we really appreciate it.

- Ryan

Ana Todica

Ana Todica

Hello,

I'm using version 2 (api=1 & fp_version=10). I've tried version 1 as well, but still no result.

I've managed to find a workaround for my problems (I also had to change the mouse move handler in your example), so my online Vimeo setup is ok now. But it would be nice to nail down this issue. I'll do more testing when I have the time.

Thank you,
Ana

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Ana,

Not sure if this is the 100% fix, but it seemed to work while testing another user's issues. Try setting the "allowScriptAccess" to "always" on your object/embed tags. That seemed to do the trick. I suppose I never ran into that issue since we always keep our embeds open for script access.

Please let me know if that resolves your issues so I can share this with the rest of the users that are running into this issue.

Thanks,
Ryan

adrian lbi

adrian lbi

I am trying out the API and the only event fired is the readyHandler which is triggered repeatedly through playback. Nothing else is traced. Seems to be a lot of issues around the events. I am using FlashDevelop to publish locally. Not tried on a server but it has to work locally to be useful

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Adrian,

Weird, that's the exact opposite experience that most people have been having. This has been a difficult issue to track down. The only thing that I have found with my examples of the player events is that when you have "allowScriptAccess" set to something other than "always" the events are not triggered. And that only seems to be an issue once the files are hosted somewhere else. I have not heard any issues with the events when it comes to local playback/access.

Do you have a version of Flash that you could build your project in to see if maybe it's something FlashDevelop is doing upon publish?

Any info you can provide to help resolve this issue is more than appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Buur Fashion

Buur Fashion

hi ryan,
i think i'm having the same problem. i've downloaded the VimeoPlayer class from github.com/vimeo/player-api/blob/master/actionscript/src/com/vimeo/api/VimeoPlayer.as. my settings are fp_version=10, api_version=2.

yesterday everything still worked fine (according to the statistics), but today the video suddently won't play in our website anymore. i have not changed my code for weeks though.

i'm not really sure what causes this problem. the moogaloop swf seems to get loaded fine, the onComplete event is fired and activates load_timer (Timer class). somehow the moogaloop.player_loaded variable in the playerLoadedCheck function is always false. has something changed in the api or am i missing something?

at the moment there's a big white box on our website where the vimeo player used to be.
i hope you can help me, thanks in advance.
cheers, roel

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Buur Fashion,

I am hoping that the recent player push has resolved the problem you were having. Please let us know if that's not the case.

Thanks,
Ryan

Colin Brogan

Colin Brogan

I had a similar problem as Buur fashion, vimeoplayer just stopped showing up one day, but it is fine now, the player loads and plays as normal today. However, I still have problems with event listeners firing

clipPlayer = new VimeoPlayer([my key number in here], videoID[clickedClip], fullVideoWidth, fullVideoHeight, "10", 2);

clipPlayer.addEventListener('ready', vimeoReady, false, 0, true);

I have never gotten any of the api's event listeners to work. Although strangely, I can see the output for the "readyHandler" firing from within VimeoPlayers .as file. But the event listener "vimeoReady" in my own flash project will not fire. I am compiling from Flash CS5.5, and viewing the swf locally in flash player 10.2.153.1

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Colin,

Are you testing locally, or do you have something up on a server some where we can check it out? We have heard reports about the events not firing properly depending on whether you're accessing the SWF locally vs. remotely.

Let us know and hopefully we can help you out.

Thanks,
Ryan

Colin Brogan

Colin Brogan

I am testing locally, I could send you the files if you are interested. But it's many lines of code and may be hard to sort through, inelegantly designed (one of my first programs).

Colin Brogan

Colin Brogan

alright, there has been a lot of talk and not a lot of resolution. Here is a zipped folder with an .fla and the vimeo.as. Some very simple code is used to pull up the vimeoplayer and register an eventlistener:

colinbrogan.com/files/vimeo-eventnotfiring.zip

If the fla is tested in debug mode, you get a ton of "readyHandler" strings traced which are coming from the vimeoplayer.as file, but none of the "yippeee!!!!!" strings that are in my own event handlers in the fla. I really need to figure this out, my project depends on it!

To be more specific, this is in flash professional CS5.5, and these results are had when going to debug > debug movie > debug. Now, interestingly enough, when going to control > test movie > test, the eventhandler is only fired once, and at the right time. The other handlers play, load progress are all correct too. HOWEVER, I am still not able to register these events to make my own handlers fire in the fla file.

Colin Brogan

Colin Brogan

Here is the same thing posted as a site, except this time the video is suppose to play when the clip loads. Nothing happens, so it isn't working locally or on a server.

I'm getting very desperate, because I cannot figure out any workarounds for this. maybe there is a way to trigger things from within the vimeoplayer.as, since those event handlers seem to work. If anyone has tried such a thing let me know

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Colin,

I don't have Flash v5.5, so I wasn't able to open your FLA, but I did use the basic code that you supplied above, and altered it a bit, and everything seemed to work fine for me.

Here's the code that I used in Frame 1 of my test with the files you supplied.

---

import flash.events.Event;

var clipPlayer : VimeoPlayer = new VimeoPlayer('abc', 2, 640, 360, "10", 2);
clipPlayer.addEventListener('ready', vimeoReady, false, 0, true);
this.addChild(clipPlayer);

function vimeoReady(event:Event) : void
{
trace('ready fired');
}

---

Also note, that I added 'this.dispatchEvent(event);' to the readyHandler method in the VimeoPlayer.as class so that my main document could receive the event.

Please let us know if this resolves the issues you are having.

Thanks,
Ryan

Steve Mann

Steve Mann

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for all your efforts to try and trace the cause of this issue. I just started working with Vimeo over the last couple of days, ran into this issue and found this thread.

I had the "classic" issue above where the events were firing fine locally but only the "ready" event was fired when deployed on the server. I tried your fix of adding allowScriptAccess always and that solved the problem fine for me. So anyone else having the same problem - try that fix.

FYI, I am running VimeoPlayer in player 10 and API version 2 mode, and using Flash Develop

-Steve

Ryan Hefner

Ryan Hefner Staff

Hey Steve,

Glad to hear! Yeah, I really think this issue has something to do with how the SWFs are being built, and primarily how they are being embedded into the page/app.

Please, let us know if you run into any issues with the player or API while you continue to work with it.

Thanks,
Ryan

Bruno

Bruno

yes! it is working if you set allowScriptAccess to always

Allianz Türkiye

Allianz Türkiye PRO

hey, i agree with @Bruno, events not firing at all without allowScriptAccess=always, and this means we are not able to make any custom thing for facebook wall posts. this is too sad that i figure out this fact at this moment, our project runied already. however, i think it's about vimeos logging system but maybe i'm wrong. if somebody can tell me how can it works without god damn allowscriptaccess i will be reallllly appreciated.

thanks,
Onur

Dan Rossi

Dan Rossi

This is not the case, this is enabled and i'm only getting the ready event fired, the rest does not get triggered, in fact im not sure if they were ever working. This particular application needs a metadata event fired and from the looks of it, it needs to be triggered upon playback or else it wont return the correct video filesize even within the ready event it is still zero, therefore need to do this in the play event which does not get called.

I am testing launching from both Flash Builder in the test loader and the compiled application in a browser.

Any ideas would be great.

Сергей Маслов

Сергей Маслов

Hey, does anyone solved the problem with not firing events without allowScriptAccess=always?
Support!!!!! Do you have any information about as3 api?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.