Mark

Mark Staff

Hey Vimeans! We have a challenge for you:

A lot of folks post in the forums looking for assistance with compressing their videos properly for Vimeo. The existing thread that Eugenia Loli-Queru has so lovingly put together (vimeo.com/forums/topic:36422) is getting a bit dated and we’d love to create a great updated resource for all editors.

Rather than explain the steps via screenshots and text, we thought it would be cool to have screencasts created for each editor so people can follow along with the steps while watching the video. And we want YOU guys to help in creating these screencasts! You will also be rewarded handsomely for your efforts!

So here’s the deal, we need video tutorials for the following video editors/compression programs:

***We currently have tutorials for all the programs we've requested. If there is a tutorial you think we should have that we do not have already, please suggest it below. We'll then let you know whether we'd like a tutorial or not.***

If you're not sure how to go about it, take a look at the ones that have been done already for some inspiration!

Pinnacle Studio 14 & 15 vimeo.com/35413962
Avid Media Composer vimeo.com/24064111
VisualHub vimeo.com/24036652
iMovie ’08 & ’09 vimeo.com/24043764
Sony Vegas 10 vimeo.com/24105837
Compressor vimeo.com/24014623
Quicktime vimeo.com/24009988
Handbrake vimeo.com/24008730
Final Cut Pro 6 & 7 vimeo.com/23979457
Adobe Premiere CS5 vimeo.com/23974566
Adobe After Effects CS5 vimeo.com/24027726
Adobe Media Encoder CS4 & 5 vimeo.com/24052279
Adobe Premiere Elements vimeo.com/33320845
FFMpeg vimeo.com/24111703
MPEG Streamclip vimeo.com/24009555, vimeo.com/24010817
Sorenson Squeeze 5, 6 & 7 vimeo.com/24177520, vimeo.com/24162078

Here are the requirements that each tutorial must abide by:

1) Each screencast should be 1 to 2 minutes in length and should only cover the exporting process.

2) You should narrate along with the process so people can both listen to and see exactly what it is that needs to be done. For now, we are asking that these videos be in English only.

3) No need to add any background music, but if you do make sure you have the rights to use it!

4) Your tutorial must show the user how to export their video as MP4/H.264, 1280x720, 5000kbps, a constant frame rate (equivalent to the frame rate the video was shot at and no higher than 30fps), square pixels, with AAC or PCM audio, 320kbps, 44.1kHz. Also mention that if you're shooting above 30FPS you should export at half of your original framerate. For our complete recommended compression settings: vimeo.com/help/compression

Are you up for the challenge? If your video gets the Vimeo stamp of approval (we will review all videos), you will receive a free Plus account! If you already have one, you can either give it away to a friend or we’ll give you an extra 5 GBs of upload space! You can make as many screencasts as you want, but you can only receive one prize.

We will periodically be adding and removing apps from the list, depending on what is still needed. Once you’ve uploaded your video, add a link to the comments below and we’ll review it! This is an ongoing project and there is no time limit to complete this.

Lastly, we weren't sure which screen capture software to recommend, so if you have a suggestion (preferably something inexpensive or free), please post below!

Good Luck!

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hey there, this is really good. There are just a couple things that should be changed. When you show the part about choosing a frame rate can you explain that you should keep the frame rate that you shot at unless that frame rate was over 30fps in which case you should cut it in half. In other words, if you shot 50fps, convert it to 25fps (60fps>30fps, etc.) Keyframes should also be equal to the value you used for frame rate.

Lastly, and not to be totally picky, but do you have any music that is slightly more upbeat? The music is beautiful, but it makes converting your video seem like a sad process, when it should actually be fun!

Kain & Abel

Kain & Abel

"2) You should narrate along with the process so people can both listen to and see exactly what it is that needs to be done".

When did the terms of the brief change? The concept and reward system behind these user made screencast compression tutorials for the community is genius. You guys have a good thing going on here. It would be a real shame to jeopardise the consistency and high standards set thus far. Besides, it is wholly unfair to the rest of the guys who made the effort to produce tutorials based on the exact requirements of the brief.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

I see your point, but in some ways using captioning is more accessible to our users as some people are hearing impaired and others understand written English better. That said, we're not all that concerned with whether or not the instructions or narrated or written out.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hi there, this is really good, but there are a few things that need to be adjusted.

1. Is it possible to find out how to set the bit rate to 5000kbps? Not knowing what bit rate you get when you set the quality to "8.5" isn't ideal...

2. When you set the dimensions, please only instruct the users to set their videos to 1280x720 (16:9).

3. When you set the frame rate please explain that users should use the same frame rate that they shot at, unless the frame rate was higher than 30fps in which case they should cut the frame rate in half. E.g. 60fps>30fps. If they aren't sure what frame rate they shot at, they should use 30fps.

If you can make these three adjustments, I'd be happy to upgrade the account you linked us to. Thanks for your help!

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hey there, getting closer... The part at the beginning where you show WMV is unnecessary and likely just going to confuse the users. I understand why you put it in there, but it should be removed.

Tell me, when you select .mov for the format, will it allow you to encode as h.264/mp4 and adjust the bit rate?

Jake

Jake

Great! Thanks!

Hand Drawn House Motion Pictures

Hand Drawn House Motion Pictures Plus

When I look at my raw footage, it appears vibrant, sharp and detailed, but with my export, I seem to lose that vibrance, sharpness and details (bad grammer, sorry). Am I correct in assuming that this is because of decreased data rates. The raw footage is at 44,000kbps and my final export is at 5000kbps. I look ad other videos on Vimeo, and I can't understand why I'm losing so much quality on export. I'm not even sure if it's the grade because that even looks fine in After Effects.

Garrett Wesley Gibbons

Garrett Wesley Gibbons Plus

My guess is that it's color management: you probably need to change your project settings (in AFX) to sRGB before exporting.

Glyn Davidson

Glyn Davidson

I notice that you haven't included any 3D software in your list. How about tutorials for rendering animation from Cinema 4D, 3D Studio max, Maya etc directly into a format that is suitable for Vimeo upload without the need for post editing software? In fact, the tutorial could include how to use post editing software to convert a previously rendered animation into something that is suitable for Vimeo.

Tommy Two Toes

Tommy Two Toes

I'm currently learning Blender and just had a quick look at the settings. It appears that it should be quite easy. I will be testing it out as I my videos are animations done in Blender and then report back if you like.
I believe that Blender uses FFMpeg, so when I get time I'll check that video to get the correct settings.

Mark

Mark Staff

We're not currently looking for tutorials for those programs but may add them in the future if there is enough demand.

Aderyn Productions

Aderyn Productions

I just posted a tutorial for Apple Compressor 4:

vimeo.com/27929472

If it merits a Plus account, could you please grant it to my personal profile? (vimeo.com/garrettgibbons) I'm uploading this from work because my own account has passed its upload limit for the week. Thank you!

Mark

Mark Staff

Perfect! Thanks so much. Enjoy your Plus account!

Flore

Flore

Hey guys - I am on the one for Final Cut Pro X - but there is essentially no (easy) way to use your exact settings when exporting without Compressor. There are ways to get it pretty close but effectively you cannot set the bitrate. Export to Vimeo or the Apple TV preset are sadly the best options I feel, again you cannot set the bitrate though.

Mark

Mark Staff

Woah, you're right! Well that's interesting. Thanks for letting us know.

Flore

Flore

I could also do Final Cut Express HD if there is interest, that's older but some people might still use it. Let me know.

Flore

Flore

Hey Mark - do you need one for Final Cut Express HD?
Or do you still want something for Final Cut Pro X?

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hey there, sorry, but I think we're all set with FCP and its different incarnations. Thanks anyway.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hey Matt, this is almost perfect. When you get to the part where you set the frame rate can you explain that you should use the same frame rate that you shot the video at and if you don't know what frame rate you shot at, to set it to 30. Also, if you know that the frame rate you shot at is higher than 30fps, cut the frame rate in half. I.e. 60fps becomes 30fps, 50fps becomes 25fps.

If you can add that to the tutorial, I'll be happy to hook you up with Plus.

Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

vimeo.com/28325797 here is new one be done in 30 minutes :P hope it is good

i can do videos for the other 2 also if no one else is gonna do them.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Nice job, Matt. I've upgraded your account to Plus and made a couple changes to the video's title and description. Thanks!

Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

thanks!!!!

Also i used camtasia to record the video. techsmith.com/camtasia/

but i also like the programs fraps.
fraps.com/

but mainly use it for recording gaming.

ps. dont forget to remove it from the list of needed tutorials :P

Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

also how long will the plus account last for?

jack

jack

good thing

ERProductions

ERProductions

Is a tutorial for sony vegas pro 10 still needed? Or if needed i'll make one for KDEnlive which is a linux editor.

Wyatt Brown

Wyatt Brown

It doesn't appear to be on the list, but is a tutorial for Avid Studio needed? If so, I can make one.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hi Wyatt, thanks for the offer, but I think we're set.

ProducingHD

ProducingHD

I can make one for Cinema 4D Studio, I am only 16 so it would motivate the youth on Vimeo to step up and make their own videos and tutorials.. I could really use the plus account. Please?

Alan McLaughlin

Alan McLaughlin

Anyone need an export scenario for Assimilate Scratch?

Bastian Wimmer

Bastian Wimmer

How about FinalCut Express 4? Didn't see it in the list. Is there a need for a tutorial of this editor?

Mariano Tarre

Mariano Tarre Plus

Do you need tuts on any of the programs in other languanges? I could do them in Spanish. Thanks

Mark

Mark Staff

Hey everyone! The member who created the tutorial for Pinnacle Studio 14/15 has removed the video so we're looking for a new one! Any takers?

Alex Allgood

Alex Allgood Plus

I am about to record and upload my tutorial for Premiere Elements :)

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hey Alex, this is great! I am upgrading your account now.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Also, I am going to make some adjustments to your video's title and description.

Michael Eugster

Michael Eugster

I'm recording a tutorial for the «Free Video Encoder».

Super P.

Super P.

I can do a vid for VideoPad Video Editor (for the novices out there, woohoo!)

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hey, that would be awesome! Let us know when it's done.

CoasterGeek101

CoasterGeek101

Do guys need another tutorial? I could do one.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

There are three more we still need. Check the top post.

adintermedia

adintermedia Plus

Do you happen to need one for screenflow or after effects. I could do one for both of them just let me know :)

scr-ateneu

scr-ateneu

Do you have a tutorial for Roxio VideoWave??? I really need to understand whith format I need to upload to vimeo to see correctly.

Robin Varga Changizi

Robin Varga Changizi

Hey Magix Movie Edit Pro doesn't have an export option to h264. Ideas?

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hey Robin, nice tutorial. I've upgraded your account. Thanks!

Mark

Mark Staff

Thanks so much, Wyatt!! Enjoy your Plus account!

mark luigjes

mark luigjes Plus

Is there a need for a Telestream Episode (5 or 6) tutorial?

Mark

Mark Staff

Nope, just the ones listed above. Thanks for asking though!

Ronell Cross

Ronell Cross

Is this challenge still going on? I might have something for Corel Movie Studio.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Yes! It is still going on. If you could put together a compression tutorial for Corel that would be awesome.

Artist Nest

Artist Nest Plus

It has been almost one week since a link to Elgato Turbo screencast tutorial was posted, yet there has been no acknowledgement of this from Vimeo Staff.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hey there, really sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Your tutorial is almost perfect. The only thing that we would like you to adjust is the section where you describe setting the frame rate. Could you please explain that you should set the frame rate to whatever frame rate you shot at. If you shot over 30fps, cut the frame rate in half. E.g. 60fps becomes 30 fps. If you don't know what frame rate you shot at, set it to 30fps

If you could include that in your tutorial, I will be happy to upgrade your Plus account as soon as it expires.

Thanks for your patience.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Great job. Please shoot me a private message when your Plus account expires and I'll set you up.

MaceVideoPro

MaceVideoPro

Hi
Heres a link to an instruction video for Corel Video x4 upload to Vimeo. It is only SD because I do not have a Plus account yet. If it is worthy I will upload it in HD.
Peter.
vimeo.com/38149658

MaceVideoPro

MaceVideoPro

It has been three days since tutorial for Corel Videostudio x4 was posted. I have not had any acknowledgement from staff. The original is SD but I have uploaded a HD of the same. The URL link is vimeo.com/38302843.
sincerely

Mark

Mark Staff

Hey there! Would you mind using some sort of screen capture software to record this so it's a bit easier for people to see? We'd appreciate that. Also - those settings it gives you, are those our recommended settings by default or had you set those up prior?

MaceVideoPro

MaceVideoPro

Thanks for the reply mark. I'll get onto it right away. Those settings are by default in the program but I will make sure that the actual required settings are mentioned and that the viewer understands what the settings are.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Thanks. Just give the instructions at the top of this thread a good read and try again.

MaceVideoPro

MaceVideoPro

Thanks for the reply Sam. I have remade the tutorial including mentioning all the settings and used a screen capture program for a clearer video. I will upload it next Sunday because I can only upload 1 HD movie per week. I will send the URL link when it is done
peter

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hey Peter, you can upload it whenever is most convenient to you and we will make sure it encodes in HD. Don't worry about being a basic member.

MaceVideoPro

MaceVideoPro

Hi Sam, remade the Upload to vimeo with Corel videostudio X4 tutorial.Hope it meets your standards. The URL - vimeo.com/39131037
Peter

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hey Peter, thanks for the tutorial. I've upgraded your account!

MaceVideoPro

MaceVideoPro

Hi Sam
Thanks a lot, much appreciated!
Peter

AlexH_82

AlexH_82 Plus

please I cant seem to find a tutorial for Final Cut Pro X. When I share it through Vimeo, it fails to upload due to: NSURLERROR DOMAIN ERROR 1012, does anyone know how to uploaded it without having that problem? thanks in advance

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

You can still suggest a tutorial for a program that there is currently no tutorial for. If a Vimeo Staff member approves your request you can go ahead and create a tutorial for a free Plus account.

vimeo.com/help/compression

CityontheHill Media

CityontheHill Media

This is a great idea, I thought I'd join in the fun. Although you already have a tutorial for Adobe Premiere I went ahead and recorded a detailed one - 2 is better than 1 right? Thanks!

vimeo.com/40167555

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Question: Are you going to want one for CS6 PPro and AE and Media Encoder?

PPro looks identical to CS5.5. I'm about to check out AE.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

We might, if they're different. Let us know what you find, Matt.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

AE is identical. PPro has only one difference (the multiplexer and video tabs are switched).

Biggest difference - and I use that lightly - is that Media Encoder for CS6 has a preset menu that starts up with Encoder. But the CS5 videos will work fine for CS5.5 and CS6.

matt wolfe [cc]

matt wolfe [cc] Plus

Yikes (thanks to Tim for pointing it out), just realized there's an error in my CS5 AE video - not sure what I was thinking - but at the beginning of videos I say you can't change variables in the output module like in Premiere Pro, which is true only in the sense that it's not like PPro. You can still resize and select from your presents from the Output module, as well as change frame rate from the Render Settings.

I could cut off the beginning part of the video and reupload, but in the end that still leaves out potentially vital information on where you can change those settings.

But I don't have a copy of cs5 anymore. Only cs5.5 and cs6.

Henrik Söderlund

Henrik Söderlund

Hi there. I can make a tutorial video for Adapter which is a a great little program good for beginners or non-tech people out there. Let me know if this is of interest

Link: macroplant.com/adapter/

FATTY BROWN

FATTY BROWN

iMovie 08 and 09 coming up! (few hours)

Vladimir Druts

Vladimir Druts PRO

I have to say that Vimeo's compression algorithm is quite poor, especially compared to Youtube's. I have exhausted encoding settings only to get mediocre results at best at 1080p. Quite upsetting considering I'm paying for this.

Jeffrey L. Gangwisch

Jeffrey L. Gangwisch

Howdy,

I would love to do one of these for FCPX, if vimeo plus is still being offered.

Even if it isn't, if there's a need for one I'd be happy to help out.

Best,
~Jeffrey

FATTY BROWN

FATTY BROWN

If I make one for imove 09 and 09 is this still a valid offer?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.