Deian Petkov

Deian Petkov

Are there some plans for HTML5 player for Firefox 5?

Thanks.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Sorry, but I don't think it's likely as long as Firefox does not support H.264.

Activist Canvas

Activist Canvas

when you tube is doing it, and the webM with VP8 video compression format has been released (Opened) up, why not do it???? Just because you need to store the video in different formats? Or is it that you are trying to promote some kind of non-openness!!??

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

If you've been following up on this topic, I'm sure you'll remember that we've tested VP8 and WebM. The performance of the tests we ran left a lot to be desired. This is something we're continuing to look at. As for our stance on openness... We're never for it or against it on its own sake. We do what makes sense to our business and our users.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We are well aware of that and it partly explains why we tested and continue to test other codecs.

Activist Canvas

Activist Canvas

firefox will never do that, and ethically they are right

Article19

Article19 Plus

ethically i dunno but practically they're a bunch of ******* ******** nuff said (or not said)

NCATE

NCATE Plus

So, as of now, Vimeo does not work with Firefox 5?
I was recently made aware of this problem at work, although it's not as universal as Vimeo not working at all with Firefox 5.
I have several off-site users using FF5 on Windows 7 reporting that they can not see any of our embedded vimeo videos.
We have a secure eLearning system that takes advantage of Vimeo's privacy features (the eLearning videos are viewable only from within our eLearning system).
Users of FF5 on Mac OS have no problems, it's all on Windows 7.
Soxiam, or anyone else, can you shed some light on this? I've read other threads regarding this on vimeo's forums, and they suggest going into "about:config" but I cannot ask our endusers to do this. I need a fix I can implement at the vimeo.com or html level on our site. I need our vimeo embedded videos to work on ALL the latest browsers (less than 3-years old) and OSes (primarily Windows XP and above, Mac OS (actually not one single problem here)), and iOS (no problem here either)).
Can you please help?

NCATE

NCATE Plus

P.S.
To Vimeo employees,

Could you please have a useful system requirements page?

"Vimeo requires a fairly fast internet connection and computer to load and view videos. Any computer made within the last three years should work fine on Vimeo, but there will always be times when you may experience difficulties loading and playing videos" isn't helpful at all.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.