Rick Casey

Rick Casey

I didn't see any support for Closed Captioning. This is a feature which is dear to me since most of my family is deaf and it would make sharing of our videos a fullfilling experience for them. So far, Google Video has a limited implementation and even what little is there, it is a huge step forward towards sharing our experience.
Thanks
Rick.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Hi Rick, I think we will have to leave this feature to the users themselves for the foreseeable future. Since this is a sharing site, if those who you are sharing with need CC then it best left to those who are interested in that service and can do it manually for the individuals who are sharing with each other.

Fernando Secco

Fernando Secco

It's such an easy feature... JW Player does this with an XML file linked to the video.
Youtube is a "home video" site, so it doesn't even need it that much. But here we're publishing our artwork, mostly. Prrety importante to have subs support.

Rick Casey

Rick Casey

Thanks for the reply. Bundling the Text within the HD Video would be a solution, but when it is being resized for different resolutions, the text would either be incredibly small at YouTube resolutions or uncomfortably big at 1080p resolutions. Having a text solution wthin the actual service that overlays the video at the timecodes would be great since it doesn't mar the original video feed.

Thanks again for the quick reply. This is a great site as it has great HD support and a sharp player.

Brian Lancaster

Brian Lancaster

I also need captioning for my uploaded videos. I know it's not common for internet streaming videos, but if it looks like there's any possibility it would sure be nice. I also have a lot of family and friends who are deaf. I don't know how google video does it, but it definitely expands the accessibility of viewers to a crowd of people that love visual stimulation.

I've only been a member a few days, REALLY love the site and am totally addicted. CC is a revolutionary thing to provide support for, maybe there's a 3rd party downloadable program for adding CC that can be switched on and off within the vimeo player?

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

To be very honest until the demand for a feature like this increases, we probably won't have the time to develop it. I would suggest that you guys take the initiative yourself, put in subtitles, and share the videos with your friends and family.

Brian Lancaster

Brian Lancaster

Thank you, appreciate the suggestion and totally understand the lack of demand. I'll subtitle them and see if I can bring some viewers to vimeo!

TMRO

TMRO PRO

I need to add my voice in here. I use Google Video because of its CC feature, and more specifically the ability to add CC data in multiple languages. The nice thing is that there is a standard that can be followed so once you parse the file you should be able to put up any language needed.

There are two reasons I like this:
1 - Google is able to parse the CC data and search against it. If you offer this up for videos with CC data in it the hits for these videos would increase on Google. I see a radically huge increase in traffic for the videos with CC data... from only a couple thousand hits to tens of thousand hits for the same video with and without CC data.
2- I have a worldwide audience that speaks many different languages. By having a few translators I'm able to offer my videos to a much wider audience base.

I understand the need to dedicate engineering resources, but since so few file sharing sites have this option and it can be a deal breaker for some, I would encourage you to take a closer look at CC.

Colette M. Barry

Colette M. Barry Plus

I'm hearing impaired and is developing yoga programs for people like me. Was thinking about inserting an
interpreter within my screen. A video within a video.

InsProductions

InsProductions

That's a feature I'd need too: I am italian, my actors speak italian, but we have friends all over the world who speak english, and I'd love to have "soft subs" function to let them enjoy our work at the best

Paweł Piskorski

Paweł Piskorski

I sigh the request for the Closed Captioning / subtitles with both my hands. Many people from all over the world would love Vimeo even more for being able to sub their non-english films. Is such feature that hard to implement?

Mutcluck

Mutcluck

I have a feeling youtube and google's recent addition of thought bubbles, captioning, and tagging with links was in development for a long time. But maybe I'm wrong. I think its a very cool function beyond the hearing impaired and translation functionality.

In the long run, I think live im-ing and captioning feeds will be a way that some people communally take in content. Not just the creator will have comment/captions to add, but people can subscribe or choose to see other peoples comments.

Meta layers of commentary. I think it will be a new reason to watch an "awful" show if you can subscribe to an amusing person's commentary, or watch with friends "live" or with your friend's commentaries/footprints turned on. Your friend can leave you jokes and comments specifically for you. Imagine a sad part of show coming on... and your friends comment pops up and says: Admit it John, you're crying like a little girl... so did I.

You'll see this emerging in the next couple years and part of the public space in 5 or 6 years. Comments function in this way on youtube, but you can't properly get rid of the chatter that you don't want ie the Hatred and spammers.

Privately Public commentary is the wave of the future.

It's also part of the future of advertising... everything on screen should have a link.. and or a for sale link, whenever you press pause. Some people may choose to have the links always be present ( for certain products they are looking to buy ie shoes) even when its live because they choose to see what is being sold on any given show. Sex and the City would have been great for this model. Privately Public commentary and feeds also has the facebook related business model. Friends and connections that buy or recommend trends can move product and generate revenue.

Imagine shows generating a true average revenue per view by selling real product and only subsidized by ad revenue, rather than being a primarily eyeball/ad revenue system with minor amounts of paid for product placement and branding that exists today.

VIDEOHOOD

VIDEOHOOD Plus

Wow! that's a great view of where online video is going to!
That's yet another way of making online videos more participatory and on a basic level to provide subs to other languages.
I really would like to see that kind of inplamentation here at Vimeo

Alicia

Alicia

I am a web designer who works with many organizations serving the deaf and hard of hearing population. If you were to add captioning functionality similar to Google Video, I wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend your service to those organizations. The combination of HD video capability (for crisp sign language) and captioning would make Vimeo the definitive go-to place for those organizations -- instead of Google Video.

walt

walt

sorry to be an ass, but youtube does it.

Eee Jay

Eee Jay

Hey.
This is a basic accessibility requirement. Veoh could really rock the world if they offered this. It is gold for hearing impaired folks.

Perrone Ford

Perrone Ford

Compliance with Rule 508 in video is something I deal with daily.

First, there is no such thing as closed captioning on the web. It does not exist. What does exist is open captioning and timed text display.

While some video formats support captioning and timed text display, not all video does. I've used it or some work that I've presented with Windows Media Player.

For Vimeo's part, the engineering is not that big a deal. It's likely the software they use could already support the timed captioned files they need. As anyone knows who's done this work, the REAL task is getting the transcript done and timed. This would be an impossible task for the staff of Vimeo, but if the user community wanted to submit the timed files, the rest of the process could likely be automated.

Blake, what do you think? Would you guys be willing to give this a whirl if the software you had could do this seamlessly with a few mods to the encoding program? I don't remember what you guys are running on the back end to do your encoding, but I'd be willing to do some legwork on it.

It might help me at work as well, so I'm willing to give it a try.

VIDEOHOOD

VIDEOHOOD Plus

I totally agree that Vimeo should just provide a way for the users to upload the "timed text" to their videos...
That's more than enough from Vimeo's part and users should provide the texts themselves

Michael Leverett

Michael Leverett Plus

Here is a website that I've used to assist with captioning for flash using customized skins. Vimeo simply needs to look at how Adobe does it and/or this company. By the way, this is one of the cheapest ways to get your video captioning. It is not as accurate as a premium service but it's not bad:

captionsync.com/

click on resources

Michael Leverett

Michael Leverett Plus

By the way, I need this badly. Most of my work needs to be 508 compliant. Trying using your video editing titling program to produce open captioning...render...render...render...type...listen...type... it is a nightmare from a production stand point.

jparryhill

jparryhill

Here's one more vote for adding captioning/subtitling support to Vimeo's Flash player.

Keeping the text as data, rather than rendering it on the frames, would allow Vimeo to index the captions as part of search. Result: more relevant searches.

Gentlemanhog

Gentlemanhog

And another support for closed captioning on Vimeo, please! I do a lot of work in local government and we are bound by accessibility guidance that means I have to supply closed captions / subtitles wherever possible.

That means Google Video for now. I could use YouTube, but we have had a bad experience of inappropriate 'related' videos being shown next to a video for a schools project.

I really like Vimeo and would love to see support for CC. I'm happy to beta test!!

Trading Visions

Trading Visions Plus

I'm hearing impaired so I'm hoping this feature will be added as soon as possible. It's really important for accessibility. Incidently, you can stop YouTube coming up with related videos when you embed them. Just add "&rel=0" after the video ID number in the embed code. It's a pain though, as you have to do it for each one.

Gentlemanhog

Gentlemanhog

Thanks for that hint about the YouTube related stuff. I'll try it on another project as the people who's project it was are not for changing! :)

internetsubtitling

internetsubtitling

Hi all. Please put me down as another vote for a proper closed captioning feature.

Around one in seven people have some kind of hearing loss. The number of people trying to watch your videos in a difficult environment (too noisy or too quiet) must be at least the same again. And that's before you go into the massive issue of translation subtitling, which opens videos up for billions of people.

If you're not detecting a demand, it's probably because the massive number of people who need a closed captioning feature just don't come to Vimeo, they go to Google or YouTube where they can get closed captioning. Which is a terrible shame, cos you kick both those sites' asses in every other conceivable way.

I'm starting up an internet captioning/subtitling company, and I'd really like to be able to recommend that my clients host their videos with you. At the moment I can't, and that seems a shame.

If you need any help testing or developing, or any advice on what formats of caption file to support etc., give me a yell.

Open Publishing Lab

Open Publishing Lab

+1

Our research lab (The Open Publishing Lab), is located at the Rochester Institute of Technology. RIT shares a campus with the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, so our audience includes both hearing and deaf individuals.

It's a catch-22. We of course want to make our videos available to deaf and hard of hearing students. But we do not want to edit text overlays directly into the video, as not all viewers will want them. For now, we include transcripts with some of our videos. This is less than ideal for either party.

We are very happy with Vimeo's service, but are disappointed that Vimeo does not have any closed captioning support - especially considering that YouTube already does.

Karlon Cromwell

Karlon Cromwell

See the thing that Staff might be missing here... Is not everyone wants to see CC, so the ability to turn it off should be available.

For example when I watch movies I turn on Subtitles just to know exactly what I may have missed. The thing is if someone else is watching they are 9 times out of 10 asking me to turn it off (I guess it can be distracting).

So yes we can add manually, but what if some of our viewers don't want to see it, there should be an option to turn off or on.

U.S. Army

U.S. Army

We would love to add captions too for 508 compliance, but understand the complications behind developing it. Thanks, Vimeo!

Fergus Ray Murray

Fergus Ray Murray

This is another cry out for captioning/subtitle support. Uploading whole separate versions of a video when you're potentially getting it translated into half a dozen or more languages is a hell of a slog! And we really want all the versions on the same page, anyway, for sundry good reasons. Not to mention the advantages relating to search, etc., of having transcriptions visible along with videos.

I see that CS3 has captioning support, might this be helpful at all?
digital-web.com/articles/captions_flash_video/

Tom Fuller

Tom Fuller

Not sure from this thread if you have already developed closed captioning - but - we are coming from Google Video (which just stopped accepting new videos). Thanks to closed captioning our videos are viewed over 1,500 times a day. Google indexes those captions and they become a way for people to find our videos. Would LOVE to see this feature on Vimeo for our church videos.

Namics.

Namics. PRO

Oh, there's a W3C XML standard for captioning called DFXP. XML is easy to import into Flash. There are also free tools to create DFXP captions. You can crowdsource captioning: just provide an upload interface to add DFXP to videos, so anybody can caption any video. Then add a rating or "report spam" feature to ensure the quality of the captions. That's not rocketscience, and your competitors have something similar already.

OMF Media

OMF Media Plus

We'd be interested in multi-language subtitles on the videos, we currently author DVDs with about 6-8 subtitle versions in European and East Asian languages.

tonygil

tonygil

multilanguage subtitles would be the only major missing feature, in my opinion (REPLACING VIDEO rules). My films go to 10 different countries, including the Far East, and they are spoken in 5 or 6 different languages... we have the (wo)manpower to translate them, all we need is the platform. do that, and i will be Vimeo PLU$$$ customer.

internetsubtitling

internetsubtitling

Stopping by to let you Vimeo folks know that we haven't forgotten. :)

Also to let you know that blip.tv, iTunes, YouTube and GoogleVids all now have a closed captioning feature. As Namics says, adding the ability to use .SRT files, .SUB files or DFXP (Timed Text XML) files is simple in the grand scheme of things. Hell, there are users here who could help you with it. And in the meantime you are losing ground to vastly inferior competitors, which bugs seven shades of hell out of me cos I'm a Vimeo fan.

Allowing yourselves to be beaten on this issue is frankly silly, because on every other criterion you're absolutely the best video hosting site in the world. But for millions of users (yes, that's right, MILLIONS - about 35 million deaf/hard of hearing in the US, 9 million in the UK, for a start) you are simply not an option on account of lack of closed captions. I remain bewildered by your position on this.

Come on, Vimeo. Catch up with the rest of the world.

Eric Stoller

Eric Stoller

It seems that Vimeo doesn't care. It's too bad.

Jared Lyon

Jared Lyon

Yes, please bring captioning to Vimeo! YouTube's captioning feature works great, you can just turn them on if you need them, but if you don't need them, you don't have to have them overlayed on the video (potentially lessing the experience for hearing people). Just support adding in an SRT or SUB file. Easy enough.

Juuso Hepoharju

Juuso Hepoharju Plus

CC would be great to have on Vimeo, I am new here and the first I was looking for was CC. I make Permanent subs to my videos because the content I make is not English. CC would help to make subs in English, Swedish and Finnish for those who can't hear anything.

Stumpy Moose

Stumpy Moose

Bump. I love what you've done with Vimeo, but lagging behind on CC is a big fail. It's totally not hard.

Western Washington University

Western Washington University Plus

I work at a university where we strive to make every video accessible with CC. We have recently discovered Vimeo as an excellent solution for some of our longer videos. Please, please consider adding this functionality to Vimeo. Making content accessible is NOT a frivolous feature!

Eric Stoller

Eric Stoller

I think that the demand for closed captioning exists as it would benefit everyone in terms of accessibility and search engine optimization. I have been a huge fan of Vimeo, but it looks like I will have to transition to YouTube as the majority of my videos need to be Section 508 compliant due to accessibility requirements at my university. It really is the right thing to do...it would benefit Vimeo...I am surprised at the resistance to closed captioning from Vimeo.

Standards Suck

Standards Suck

Yeah, we are in the same boat here. Our audience, although small, keeps asking for captions. I will also have to move back to YouTube it seems :(

TLT at Penn State

TLT at Penn State

There is a way to create open captions on a mac if you have MovCaptioner and QT Pro. MovCaptioner will help you to create an embedded text track in your movie. After it imports the text track you must re-export (note - don't just do a save as, but export) to a new movie and the captions will be combined with the video track. A trial version of MovCaptioner can be downloaded at synchrimedia.com

Zemedia

Zemedia

I recently joined Vimeo Plus and just assumed that closed captioning would be available. My clients require closed captioning and I would like to use Vimeo to do this.
Vimeo's request for notice of increased demand is a little disingenuous. The fact that YouTube are doing this should be sufficient indication that this service is needed.

DoDEA

DoDEA

I echo the request - ability to display our CC is critical for the videos we produce.

Amanda Amaral

Amanda Amaral

Vimeo is a website acessed from all over the world, and it's purpose itself is supposably coherent with an worldwide proportion trade of information and knowledge. The CC feature needs to be offered. It does not make any sense for us to have to upload 3 times the same video with different subtitles.

I obviously strongly support the request.

Toon Van de Putte

Toon Van de Putte

The lack of closed captioning support is the reason we are not using Vimeo at the moment. I'm rather disappointed that Vimeo values accessibility so lightly, especially considering the limited effort required to implement TimedText captions.
I have ca. 30 videos with TimedText XML captions. We now host these ourselves with JW Player, which is a less than ideal solution. This is high quality video we want to offer to a broad audience.
YouTube isn't really an option because their video player, ironically, isn't accessible to blind people.

Frankly, I find it kind of cynical to point to 'lack of demand' for not supporting this. You want more deaf people? Do you consciously ignore the international audience? This feature is fairly easy to implement and is of huge benefit to international audiences, search indexing and, of course, the hearing impaired.
Basically, you're turning away the possibility of adding a time-coded, (almost) word for word transcript to a large portion of videos on Vimeo.

Hidden Frontier

Hidden Frontier

I'm not particularly bothered about the terminology used but very much support the ability to be able to add at least one language if not many against a video.

Not only is this needed for multilanguage support but for deaf and hard of hearing. It's also a vicious circle, if subs are not supported, those people will not frequent the site. Very often a site like this will be useless to these potential viewers.

Without this capability, there's a vast audience being cut off.

22frames.com

22frames.com

I'm a co-developer of 22frames.com ( 22frames.com/suggest.aspx ). The grand goal of the service is to index every (public) captioned/subtitled video on the Internet. We are all aware that captioned/subtitled videos are scattered across the Internet on multiple video hosts – generally mixed with the billions of other videos. More here: ( 22frames.com/aboutus.aspx ).

While we have not yet looked at specific approaches to automatically collect captioned/subtitled videos from Vimeo (we are in very early beta and there are many hosts), we are accepting submitted links from multiple video hosts. This includes Vimeo. We are therefore inviting anyone that wants to share videos to explicitly submit them here: ( 22frames.com/suggest.aspx ). Who knows, it may even increase Vimeo's interest in this area.

asiTV

asiTV

Has there been any updates on this? I work at CSU Pomona and we have to be 508 compliant. We just started producing more videos and have plans to increase this further. Vimeo is vastly superior to other video hosting sites, yet I will be forced to use something like YouTube because they have some semblance of a CC service.

I also think it's strange that there hasn't been a staff response about this topic for 2 years. Is there some work being done on this or not?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

no, not yet. it's something we haven't been able to work on yet.

Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Staff responses here show they haven’t investigated the technical aspects. No user can simply upload a captioned or subtitled video (those are two separate things, and you can have both at once) and just expect it to work.

Tell me, Vimeo staff: What exact formats do you support? Where in the player do I turn captioning and/or subtitling on and off? (Is that keyboard-accessible, or do I have to be completely undisabled apart from a hearing impairment in order to use it?)

Various commenters’ claims that captioning is straightforward and really no trouble whatsoever are false.

Reel Social Media

Reel Social Media Plus

I worked as a closed captioning editor for 2 years.

While translating dialogue and sound into words can be complicated, embedding that text in video content is not.

That process was standardized by the FCC in 1976.

(Search Google or Wikipedia for "Line 21" if you want more technical info.)

ALL major video encoding formats--Flash, Quicktime, WMV, AVI, OGG, etc.--support closed captions.

Vimeo took their stand two years ago (via Blake Whitman):

"Until the demand for a feature like this increases, we probably won't have the time to develop it."

And Soxiam's post two weeks ago makes it clear that is still their position today.

If you want closed captions, make more deaf people.

Joe -

Thanks for pointing out that the is a difference between closed captions and subtitles. It is important.

To build on your point:

Closed captions are for the hearing impaired. They attempt to textually communicate dialogue and audio:

NEO: AM I THE ONE?

[TRINITY YAWNS]

Subtitles are for viewers that hear fine but don't understand the language spoken in the film. In subtitles, there is no need to identify Neo as the speaker or point out that Trinity is still audibly bored because the viewer can hear that it is Neo speaking and Trinity yawning. The subtitles for the same dialogue would look something like this (if they were in English):

- Am I the one?

Though Vimeo behaves equally indifferently towards viewers who don't speak English and those that are hearing impaired, they are not the same people.

Dave Dugdale

Dave Dugdale Plus

I would like to see captions available on Vimeo like they are on YouTube. It would be a great feature.

Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Reel Social Media vastly underestimates the real-world technical complexity of serving genuine closed captions in innumerable video formats in a way that is itself accessible.

This is not an excuse for Vimeo to do nothing, which is all it is currently doing.

DHP Multimedia

DHP Multimedia Plus

I would also like to see CC in Vimeo as my clients and friends are from around the world or are hearing impaired. I am sure that in time, that will happen, hopefully.

Tassos Manolis

Tassos Manolis

I like to see CC captions 2 ...I have many ppl who did'n know any english very well ...a system like dotsub.com or Ted.com will be great :)

jamminalley

jamminalley

One more shout out for closed captioning. I create materials for second language learners who want/need the option of CC to support their comprehension. If Vimeo implemented this feature, I predict there would be a lot more traffic (and plus+ subscriptions) from people working in language instruction.

TALVideo

TALVideo Plus

another +1 for caption support. I think you would find a lot more businesses buying a Plus account to pay for that option.

The Bridge School

The Bridge School PRO

I work for a school and would love to use Vimeo, but need to comply to 508.

Wisconsin Media Lab

Wisconsin Media Lab Plus

Considering using Vimeo Plus for educational multimedia project BUT unsure because of CC.

Please add CC.

Trinity Baptist Church

Trinity Baptist Church

+1
I would love that.
I can't believe YouTube offers CC for FREE! I wish there were some kind of YouTube plus user :/

Juan Ulloa

Juan Ulloa

+1.
I would guess that Vimeo would get alot more business from a growing group of organizations interested in accessible web communications if they added CC feature.

WestreamU

WestreamU Plus

+1 (primarily on behalf of all with hearing challenges)

StoryCorps

StoryCorps Plus

We would love to be able to upload a timed caption file as well. No need for automatic translation or any of that stuff, just a simple .srt or xml file would do.

Will Burdette

Will Burdette PRO

Ditto. Work for a school. Need to be 508 compliant. Please add quickly or I'll have to reluctantly go back to YouTube.

Matthieu Herblin

Matthieu Herblin

Could any member of the Vimeo Staff tell us what is the current situation concerning Closed Captioning ?
Apparently, you've been considering adding it for quite some time now, but it's still not available.

Just look at the number of people asking for it.
It is not a function of secondary importance. We really NEED it.

Please, work on it.

Michael Leverett

Michael Leverett Plus

As a PLUS member, I would even pay more for this feature. Vimeo would have more non profit organizations using this if compliance could be accomplished!

Alan Stuart

Alan Stuart

I NEED THE FEATURE... we're hosting an international film festival, most of the film submissions are from the Middle East (and uploaded onto youtube), but they should be seen by the world. Unfortunately YouTube offers a great caption/translation feature.

Plus, it's nice if it's your native language you can turn off captions (like a DVD). no one likes seeing captions if you can understand the audio. you can't help but read.

please implement,

-A

Brown University

Brown University PRO

As a university, we would very much like to see this feature. We are currently looking to discontinue using Vimeo for video hosting because Vimeo does not support closed captioning.

Andrew Grimm

Andrew Grimm

I assumed that Vimeo would support closed captioning, and was unpleasantly surprised when I found out it didn't.

Hamish Maclaren

Hamish Maclaren

closed captions can be added to vidoes on YouTube and dotsub.com. You can also make the caption file in the free software program Magpie. I find it workswell. But where else can you post videos and add captions? Is there any other site availabe? DailyMotion or MotionMaker??

BlightProductions

BlightProductions Plus

Plus 1 for captions support. Vimeo would be surprised at how big the deaf community really is. I wonder if it just something that they don't know how to do and can't afford to hire a programmer capable of it. Bummer.

Daniel Geiger

Daniel Geiger

It has been 3 years that Vimeo hasn't added caption. Come on! Deaf, hard of hearing, hearing loss, foreign and English as a Second Language users need it.

YouTube has closed caption feature. Vimeo is all behind. This is not acceptable.

Matthieu Herblin

Matthieu Herblin

I'm aghast at the Vimeo staff's lack of respect towards their users.
You're just ignoring this thread.

You could give us the reason why you can't/don't want to make subtitles available, but no, you just seem to not care at all about the deaf and foreign people.

We're talking to a brick wall.

Matthieu Herblin

Matthieu Herblin

You're right JMJ.
"Could any member of the Vimeo Staff tell us what is the current situation concerning Closed Captioning ?" is the kind of question that needs a month to be answered...

I'm not saying Vimeo isn't a quality website.
I've been using it as a viewer for quite some time now, I just created an account and am going to pay for Vimeo Plus.
So obviously, I like Vimeo.

But on that very subject, subtitles, it's just incomprehensible.
I don't understand why it's not available, since the other video websites support it.
And I don't understand why a member of the Vimeo staff can't just leave a message saying "Hey, we know you want it, it will be available soon" or "Don't bother waiting, we're not even working on it".

I mean, it's been a day since my previous message, I'm assuming it has been read by some members of the staff (two of them posted in the "Feature Requests" section afterwards) and none took a minute to say something.
It kind of confirms my feeling of them ignoring this thread.

townofoceancity

townofoceancity

Now that there is a new law concerning "CC" on public tv - we will be needing to use this on all our videos - online/tv. Will need to find another method if Vimeo is not willing to add a CC option.

Karlton Wu

Karlton Wu

I have the expertise and experience on Closed Captioning.
Maybe Vimeo can hire me as part-time technical consultant. No kidding.
For TV CC, there are CEA608 and CEA708 standards. CC data are embedded in picture user data for MPEG2, and embedded in meta data for HD MXF.
In transport stream, they are encoded in VBI (Line 21) for SD and VANC for HD.

For Webcast Closed Captioning,
RealText for RealPlayer,
SubRip .srt for YouTube,
SAMI for WMP,
QText for QuickTime
CC is treated as a text stream to be sync with Video.

For TV CC, you need a software decoder and parser to overlay CC on image.

For Webcast, you just overlay the text on image.

Our commercial NLE can easily create CC and preview CC.

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

I posted this in the Multi-Language Subtitles thread, but I'll repost it here since it's newer. First off, we are committed to having SOME KIND of CC/Subtitling solution next year.

Why have we waited so long to implement captioning? The short answer is we were waiting for someone to solve the many technical issues surrounding it, or at least for a standard to emerge, but that hasn't happened. For more specifics on why we've held off, read on:

1) Many platforms. Vimeo now has multiple Flash players, multiple HTML5 players on multiple platforms ranging from mobile devices to TVs. We want to choose a subtitle system that can work on any platform and any device. Right now that doesn't exist. It's not even close to existing. The problem of subtitles isn't solved by just slapping the Vimeo player in some Flash container-- that's a one-off stop-gap solution and it won't even work with our Universal Player offsite.

2) There is no standard format or support. When we choose a technical format to store and deliver subtitles we need to it be future proof. In many places (such as the iPad, iPhone, and TV) we use a native player. If we want subtitles to work there we need to encode it into the video file. That means if a subtitle changes, we have to go back and change the actual video file. That's not going to work. The ideal solution would be if all these players could read an external file with a standard structure, but that will never happen.

3) There is no 3rd party winner so far. If we go with one of these existing solution we want to make sure it's going to be around for awhile. Right now all the reasonable (as in, will work on Vimeo's scale) CC/Subtitle solutions out there are early stage startups. We would like to see some actual adoption before we choose a partner (if we do). I'd like this feature to work forever once we add it.

4) It's a huge project to build ourselves. Frankly given the technically challenges it will take a long time and we've had more pressing priorities.

5) Adoption will be relatively low. We're a small company and we have to invest our time on features that will be as high-impact as possible. There are some very, very, very important reasons for CC but relative to the other huge projects we could use to grow our business it just doesn't compare. Even after we do implement this I don't think we'll be able to add automatic transcription, it's just too expensive. We're going to have to rely on human transcription. YouTube added automatic transcription because they have been working on translation software for 10 years and they are a SEARCH company. Making video's more indexable helps them sell more ads. That's just not where our priorities lie.

Anyway, that's the update. It will get done, we just want to do it right. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems on the surface.

Matthieu Herblin

Matthieu Herblin

Thanks for the heads up Andrew.
I'm happy to know that you are planning on doing it next year (that's a promise, right ?).

Regarding automatic transcription, I think it's not something really important for now. Even if it means a hard and long work to trancript by ourselves, the only thing that matters is the fact that we can provide subtitles to our videos.

Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons Plus

I agree with your comments on transcription -- I'll do the work, I just want them to show up on Vimeo.

Digiterp Communications

Digiterp Communications

I appreciate the update as well, and agree that the automatic transcription is not a need. That can be done with YouTube.... and then used for creating caption files for other formats.

I look forward to seeing what option you come up with. Even if it is not a perfect one, it will be greatly appreciated by those of us who are waiting eagerly for some type of captioning on vimeo.

stefhan

stefhan Plus

@dstringham Great ! Thanks for discovering.

I'm also looking for a captioning's tool and hopes too that Vimeo will integrate this service quickly. Go on ! And make us an awesome tool ;)

Mateng

Mateng

One of my customers has just signed up for a pro account. We need captions desperately.

Universalsubtitles.org is a promising start, but for embedding videos on our (professional) site the "Subtitle Me" button is too annoying.

What we need is a native captioning / subtitling function within Vimeo.

Greg Gay

Greg Gay

I'd also suggest looking at Universal Subtitles (US). I use it to caption all my videos, Youtube, and Vimeo, among others. For the Youtube videos, I typically create the captions in US, export the .srt caption file and upload it to Youtube. For Vimeo video though, I tend to caption the video in US, but instead of adding the captions to the Vimeo video, I copy the US embed script, and embed it somewhere in one of my sites. Unfortunately this does not bring people to vimeo, like it does with youtube.

There are several reasons why I use CC. Being in the accessibility business is one of them, but making videos searchable is another big reason. I know vimeo does not rely on add revenue, and I like that, but including transcripts helps people find video, and ultimately draws more people to the vimeo site, and potentially generates more clients.

I'm happy to see Vimeo is thinking about it. Maybe US can provide a relatively cheap, and quick way to get captioning service available here. Even an option to create the subtitles at US, and an option in Vimeo to switch in the US video player, would provide a good solution requiring minimal effort to implement.

Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons Plus

For company with such a progressive vibe, I'm surprised at the lack of support -- and understanding -- by Vimeo about improving accessibility for the deaf and hard of hearing vis a vis captioning. I think that is why the law that Obama signed last October (the 21st Century Communication and Video Accessibility Act) -- signed on the 20th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act -- is so important. It will basically create the demand that Vimeo acknowledges it needs to take this issue seriously.

To bad Vimeo doesn't see this as a business opportunity.

Diti

Diti

I am adding my vote/support on this point. The superiority of Vimeo in simple video handling has not to be proven any more, yet on cutting-edge features, it is greatly inferior.

I love Vimeo and I am totally sure features like subtitles and 3D handling will attract any videographer left on Youtube because of lack of features on Vimeo's side.

Marcin Szczepanski

Marcin Szczepanski

I work for a major university in the US and we would like to switch from youtube to vimeo but we are required to have closed captioning in our videos (I suspect that's the case with most colleges and universities). That's really the only issue that holds us back but it's a big one. When can we expect to have CC option on Vimeo?

OK EDEN

OK EDEN

Support. Wholeheartedly. Please.

OK EDEN

OK EDEN

There is a lot of free software out there to create, for example, srt-coded subtitles, a very simple text-file standard with a timecode, that can then be either read directly by any old javascript or recoded as something else. We are already doing this through the Processing language, in order to control the visual appearance of subtitles more precisely than through the software offered – our staff learned the language and created the software in less than a week. With full appreciation for the increased complexity involved with such an immense amount of material, browser-support etc., it still seems it should be a relatively easy feature to implement. And it would make a lot of people even happier with your otherwise excellent service.

Emmanuel United Methodist Church

Emmanuel United Methodist Church

We have a large community of deaf and hard of hearing who have been asking for captioning for quite a while now. With our similar sites adding this feature, I don't know why vimeo hasn't added it yet. I love the site, but cc is a must.

Luminous

Luminous

I do believe that you would find a good deal of unrealized revenue if you were able to add this feature. I for one would like to vote for the addition of this features. I have had several clients that need to meet accessibility requirements and although I find Vimeo the best economical and flexible solution, this is where you guys drop the ball and I am unable to recommend your service. Even if you had to charge additional for the capabilities, I believe many of us would be willing to pay.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

There are other threads where we have made our position on this topic a little more clearer. We are interested in building this. It needs to be prioritized and resourced.

Magnetic Kitchen

Magnetic Kitchen Plus

I'd love to see cc on Vimeo. While "demand" may seem low for a feature like this, there are 6,000,000 people in the US alone who have high/significant hearing impairment. Outlets for cc content are extremely limited as we all know. If Vimeo could develop a cc/subtitle feature I think it could produce huge benefits for both Vimeo and its devoted community. This is not to mention that one of the beauties of Vimeo is that of a global experience. To share content professionally in this manner the option for subtitles are a must.

Harmony Starr

Harmony Starr

+1. This feature is essential. Like others have commented, I would also be willing to pay extra for it.

Matt Davis

Matt Davis PRO

+1 of course, but here's the other thing I hope Vimeo does that YouTube doesn't, which is that the subtitle tracks can (if the video poster allows it) be downloaded by a viewer, changed and ammended, then *REPOSTED* under a different name (an option for which subtitle track to use).

This is for the 'crowdsourcing' of CC subtitling and translation, so a community can contribute to the wider dissemination of a video by assisting in its subtitling (and translation). The video 'owner' can of course show/hide, delete and lock the subtitle track.

What we don't want, of course, is burned in subtitles. Total anathema.

A subject particularly close to my heart, as I've got four videos to subtitle over the weekend (non English speaking audience having difficulties with strong accents), and the next project needs subtitles in 9 European languages.

At the moment, this stuff has to go to YouTube...

Sketchtravel.tv

Sketchtravel.tv Plus

+1. I would pay for this feature. It is SO time consuming to add (or amend) subtitles in the video files that I consider switching to another provider, even though I relly like the Vimeo Pro services.

Patrick Davey Tully

Patrick Davey Tully

There is no built-in functionality to even add closed-captioning! Please add the option for uploaders to add closed-captions to videos and for users to view them if they wish.

This is basic and wouldn't require Vimeo to caption videos themselves, but would be up to each uploader.

Your software needs to be updated with this functionality please, thank you.

L.A. Color

L.A. Color Plus

Request first appeared 4 years ago. Until 11 months ago a response by Vimeo staff promised the feature within next year. What's the status now?

Bhajana Yogam

Bhajana Yogam

It has been a year since Andrew posted that captions will be implemented next year. Any progress?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Not yet. Sorry for the delay. CC is one of the largest and most important projects we will take on in 2012.

Gary Morin

Gary Morin

Indeed, this thread is now four years old, and suddenly it's "one of the ... most important projects (Vimeo) will take on in 2012." What took so long and what suddenly make it one of the most important?

Libs

Libs

Hi -- I was really hoping to enjoy this video about 60 Hudson, and had never used Vimeo and I couldnt find any options on here -- I know the creator is responsible for captions, and all that, but I guess I am just chiming in and putting in my vote that Vimeo needs to comply with accessibility standards and regulations, not only because its required but because its common sense. The baby boom generation is on the brink of retirement, and thats going to include a lot of folks with hearing difficulties, if that helps you seal the deal. Regards, Josh

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

As I said above, it's a project we will be working on in 2012.

http://designguru.org

http://designguru.org PRO

Shame to see the requests for this feature taking what, over 2 years for you guys to implement... I *love* vimeo and we have a huge project that would be perfect for your new PRO account but we're going to need CC support and will likely not want to move away from another solution like ooyala once we've gotten tons of videos uploaded and transcoded...

Social Media Ninjas

Social Media Ninjas PRO

This is an important feature and as PRO users we eagerly await its implementation.

Gary Morin

Gary Morin

What's really sad is that captioning - open and closed - has been around since 1973. If Julia Child and national football games could be captioned regularly ever since then, there's no reason for a commercial company to disregard an entire community, ethically or fiscally.

The first Vimeo response, four years ago, with carefully selected words which suggested that Deaf people and their friends and family do it themselves was a real spin doctoring of blowing off the very valid issue and request. Let's hope that once Vimeo does finally do it, they do it right.

Steve Savage

Steve Savage Plus

I've run into the CC issue as well, with my significant other being deaf. We do look at a lot of videos without dialogue together, but unfortunately can't share in about 90% of the other content in here because of lack of subtitles. I think that it would be nice if people offered subs with their videos, but I've been as guilty as the next person about not uploading my videos with subtitles, and only having them on my computer at home. (File upload limit for free users.) It'd be nice if Vimeo had a moderated approval process for duplicate videos with CC that didn't eat into your weekly upload limit for those of us who are hard of hearing or deaf. Just an idea.

DU

DU

For everyone who cares about captioning: How about more of you switch to using YouTube videos that already has support for captions? That way Vimeo would lose more customers and finally do something about it.

Eric Stoller wrote his newest blog:
insidehighered.com/blogs/dear-vimeo-patience-isnt-option

He says: "Vimeo has been talking about captioning functionality for at least four years. Unfortunately, talk is cheap when you can't hear."

Let's follow his lead and switch from Vimeo to YouTube.

DU

DU

Also, YouTube recently added new features:
youtube-global.blogspot.com/2012/02/captions-for-all-more-options-for-your.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+youtube%2FPKJx+%28YouTube+Blog%29

Including automatically pulling out captions from DVDs and VHS tapes:
"Many of the DVDs and VHS tapes lying around in our vaults and attics--particularly those that were produced by governments and others that care about accessibility of their videos--already have Closed Captions embedded in them. Pulling that information out automatically and making it visible on YouTube means that these videos will continue to be accessible to new generations of viewers."

DU

DU

YouTube is already years ahead of Vimeo, and let's take advantage of their great and useful features.

david liu

david liu Plus

2 thoughts:
1) For Vimeo - please add! :)
2) For others - remember, Vimeo has cool features youtube doesn't :)

Best,
David

Columbia College Chicago

Columbia College Chicago PRO

I would really, really like it if Vimeo supported subtitles/closed captioning. This would make Vimeo my only choice for sharing videos online, no doubt about it.

Macmillan Cancer Support

Macmillan Cancer Support PRO

Yes, CC is really high priority for us, as well. It would change the way we use vimeo (and the scale). In fact I'm very surprised vimeo hasn't prioritised this more as a feature to make video more accessible.

We would be mainly interested in uploading our own caption files (xml format), not automatic transcription.

Brand Cool Marketing

Brand Cool Marketing PRO

We had been planning to use Vimeo for a project we're undertaking on behalf of a client who's an agency of NY state. Section 508 compliance is a non-negotiable, absolute requirement for all digital work done on behalf of the state of NY.

Unless we can produce closed-captioning that meets with the approval of their accessibility team, we will not be able to use Vimeo.

Jonathan Hanke

Jonathan Hanke Plus

+1 for adding closed-captioning. I am starting a large conference video project where the conference organizer is unable to hear spoken words, and so closed-captioning is very important for us. I hope that your work to support this feature is going well -- it will be wonderful to have! =)

Brian Trager

Brian Trager

I am deaf and find subtitles very useful in many videos. I currently have a tech blog and while all of my videos are in sign language, I do provide subtitles for the hearing folks. While I just started using Vimeo a few weeks ago and really enjoy the clean interface that it provides when comparing to YouTube, I am hesitant to become a PRO member until I see this implemented. I want to use Vimeo exclusively so I hope to see this wonderful feature in the near future.

Instructure

Instructure PRO

+1. it is 2012. any updates on timing? We work with education so CC is a must-have. Don't want to go back to YT but might have to...

Claude Almansi

Claude Almansi

Instructure: there's an alternative to YouTube for closed captioning: the Internet Archive supports closed captioning: you just add the .srt file in the same "item" where your video is. And the thus closed captions videos embed nicely everywhere. Example: the French kid's song Dame Tartine, with CC subtitles in French and English

Links: archive.org, archive.org/details/DameTartine_992

TabTonic

TabTonic

Closed Captioning shouldn't be a feature that you have to wait several years for. It's basic and necessary. Come on Vimeo - you are so good at so many things. Spend a month of development time to cover the basics.

Little Island Stars

Little Island Stars

Also annoyed by the lack of this feature. I have a lot of second language viewers and having english subs so they can understand the video better and have some educational benefits from it is really important. With competitors offering the same feature it seems this would be a bit of a higher priority.

Ruth Sergel

Ruth Sergel Plus

+ 1
I am a pro user + I understand that you don't have the resources of youTube but -
after FOUR YEARS of requests the lack of captioning options is not a 'whoops' but deeply offensive. Accessibility is not an extra, it is a basic civil right.

NicheTrainings.com

NicheTrainings.com

I completely agree as a Vimeo plus user myself and I'm very unhappy with the response from Vimeo. My content will be growing to a few Terabytes this year and I'm seriously considering switching over to another service due to the lack of CC support.

Gabriel de Urioste

Gabriel de Urioste Plus

I definitely would like closed-captioning to be available as well as the ability to upload captioning for multiple languages. Guys, come on...YOUTUBE has it.

metaskopia

metaskopia

I also have been waiting for this feature long looooong time ago. I can understand there's no technical ideal solution on this already, but if you are waiting for a standardized solution on this... well, maybe in 2020 you could make it available. But by that time, most of your users will be gone.

Kyle Inselman

Kyle Inselman

I would like to add my support for closed captions.

As someone who is not d/Deaf, I didn't become aware of the need for closed captions until this year when I lost some of my own hearing, and came across the #captionTHIS campaign (linked video explains it). As some say, a well-made film is one that you can either watch without sound or listen to without picture and still understand the gist of it. But just getting the gist of it isn't "the full picture", and it's unfair and unjust to not have that accessibility for people who want the full experience of many of the utter beautiful films hosted on Vimeo.

Not being aware of captions until recently, my videos are currently not captioned, and I completely recognize the hearing privilege behind that. I personally plan to add open captions to my films so that I can continue to have them on Vimeo. But, not only that is going to be extremely time consuming, it also means that if I want another language track to be added beyond English, I would have to upload a new file for every language. I absolutely love using Vimeo for the community and the privacy customizations available in Plus. I've always recommended Vimeo hands down to anyone wishing to post videos online. Adding closed captioning a la YouTube is simply the right thing to do to, and would definitely encourage me to continue to post my videos here as I begin my captioning adventure.

Thanks for considering and I really hope to hear some good news about this request soon.

Link: youtube.com/watch?v=EgSrZ-s3MTY

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

I don't know if you saw my response above but this is something we hope to add this year.

Kyle Inselman

Kyle Inselman

I can't remember if I saw it before or after posting this comment (long thread! lol), but I'm glad to hear this! Thanks!

Stefan Hansen

Stefan Hansen

You can use VoxcribeCC for captioning your videos.
This new software is a video-speech-recognition captioning editor. In other words, it directly recognizes speech in the video and automatically builds captions with timing information. When the audio quality is fine, it can handle most of the work automatically. You need to correct recognition errors. Then next step is embedding captions into your video before uploading to Vimeo.

Link: voxcribe.com

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Thanks for the link. We will check it out.

Green Party NZSL

Green Party NZSL

When is closed captioning coming? It's a basic feature for accessibility. We are trying to provide a service to all people.

Bob Montgomery

Bob Montgomery

We are required by law and conscience to provide closed captioning to all our media. We will likely need to consider YouTube if this doesn't appear in Vimeo's toolbox in 2012.

Newcast

Newcast

So its 4 years since the first CC request, and still no CC support? Vimeo! You guys are great BUT youve got to listen to your users (if only we could SPELL it out to you in captions, maybe you would get it). Accesssible content will be the law for all Government agencies in Australia by December 2012. As a company that works mainly with Gov, we prefer vimeo as an alternative to youtube. But if you guys dont support it by then, we will have to say goodbye! This includes taking our pro account too (which is paying your development costs: catch 22). Being a tech company we are surpirsed you dont see the value in constant innovation and change management. Do yuo have a release date for captions yet?

Link: w3.org/TR/WCAG20/

Gary Warner

Gary Warner Plus

I recently suggested to a major state art gallery here in Australia that they publish their excellent in-house video series to vimeo to reach a different target audience than they currently do on youtube.

Their response was that they would love to do this, but access legislation for government agencies binds them to publishing only on internet sites that support closed captioning.

I'm a great promoter of vimeo and was disappointed with this scenario.

Can you advise if you're actually working on providing this functionality? If/when it does appear, there are a significant number of govt agencies here - not only in the arts - that would have an incentive to buy accounts with vimeo.

Macro Connections

Macro Connections Plus

We have been doing this series of video at MIT (cambridgenights.media.mit.edu/), and use Vimeo (with a paid account) instead of YouTube to host the videos. We have also been getting requests for captioning, and would be very happy to have the opportunity to caption. The thread evidences the demand for this feature, so I hope it soon becomes one of the Vimeo's new features.

FFSB TV

FFSB TV Plus

Hello,

We are an association for the deaf, we just register on VIMEO thanks to the high quality video viewing that we are very impressed.

In reading this forum, we are eager to see the functionality of subtitling to materialize ...

As you said it is for the year 2012, draw us know where are you? 80% completion?

Is there somewhere where subscribers can participate in beta testing player?

For deaf and hard of hearing community in different countries Thank you and support you a good continuation of this very important project.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hi. We've begun working on this but it's a huge project and we still have some way to go. I cannot comment on the ship date but I can say it's something we will definitely add.

Macmillan Cancer Support

Macmillan Cancer Support PRO

+1 for subtitles and/or captions. we'd upload our own rather than use automatic audio recognition and transcription. We are stuck with using streaming links and third party players because we can't use videos without captions. and of course we use YouTube when we need to be quick.

DU

DU

It's been over 4 years now and you still cannot implement the simple captioning feature??

DU

DU

Anyone using Vimeo - please switch to YouTube videos. They not only have captioning feature, but also makes it easy to add and edit captions. Thanks!

Erick Biain

Erick Biain

Its amazing, in my company we have to put all our videos in youtube because this lack of support for subtitles... PLEASE VIMEO PLEASE... at least answer something... and by the way we have a PRO (JA) account... but again, we dont use it at all!!

Rune Spaans

Rune Spaans Plus

+1 for subtitles and captions. As a non-english user I would like to have optional subtitles on my videos for english viewers.

T2B

T2B

VIMEO staff, can we please get a descent reply on this from one of the managing directors?

VIMEO is the best video hosting platform.

Closed Captions is THE ONLY efficient way to subtitle your video.

ANY OTHER WAY creates problems.

Embedding captions within the video is a "3rd world" approach, as
1) video viewers are obligated to have them
2) the uploader would have to upload the same video multiple times to have different language
captions
3) it takes more time for content creators
4) it is not as easy to make changes if needed, as the video has to be deleted and uploaded again, under a new url, blablabla.

On the other hand, enabling the CC feature alike youtube and Daily Motion should be a very easy task for VIMEO developers.

So why do we have to ask for this? And give you clues?

Why can't you just have it from day one or day two?

I had to use youtube for a series of videos I should have on VIMEO.

Please:

- Enable the CC feature
- Announce an average date asap

Thanks!

Link: youtube.com/watch?v=cd7sateuzCQ

pc hq

pc hq

We need close caption support, right now. I can code it for you you'd just have to add the code. It's so simple to do I don't get it. What are you doing, guys? Seriously, 5 years to develop a feature YouTube has perfectly added since years... This is a shame.

MediaFace

MediaFace PRO

Hi,
Glad to hear you're still working on it ! Looking forward to seeing it in action really, really soon!

DU

DU

Vimeo Staff - you keep saying you would implement the captioning feature "soon". How "soon"? It's been 5 years! Also, can you involve deaf and hard of hearing people to test the feature?

DU

DU

"After last week's announcement that Vimeo is available in French and German, we downed a glass or five of the finest vin rouge while pondering a page or five of Proust. We gorged on bratwurst while waving Handstick in the air to some bangin' German techno. Then we thought about the French and German exports we get properly excited about, and we got down to serious business."

vimeo.com/blog/post:547

Are French and German versions more important than captioning feature that is required as part of web accessibility????

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi DU,

I'm responding here as the blog post is not an appropriate place for this discussion.

The fact of the matter is that this is not an easy process. We have millions of videos on a number of devices we have to consider before making this work, and just because another site does this does not mean we automatically can as well.

In truth we are internally disappointed that we have not been able to dedicate time to this sooner, but we never promised this 5 years ago. At that time we stated this would be something we'd leave to users to add them selves and maintained that up till 3 years ago. True we promised this in 2012, but unfortunately it had to be delayed.

Again we do not offer ETAs on feature releases, however we hope to have this completed very soon...very very soon.

I realize your and the rest of the hearing impaired communities frustration with this, and probing us for updates really shows you care enough to stick with Vimeo through this process, which is something we greatly appreciate.

DU

DU

Matt - I had to reply in the blog post about German and French because it made deaf feel that they are less important than German and French. Could you have put French and German versions on hold until after accessibility versions are added to Vimeo - that way you would spend more time and energy on accessibility first? As I said in that blog post, accessibility is to be put on a higher priority than internationalization. Also, as some programmers in this thread stated, it's not that difficult to implement captioning feature in Vimeo. YouTube has already enabled it years ago. Shame on Vimeo for neglecting users with disabilities and keeping making up excuses.

DU

DU

Matt - Eric wrote a blogpost, “Dear Vimeo, Patience Isn’t An Option.” He was surprised to find out that Harvard and some other universities use Vimeo for videos and tried to discourage them via Twitter from using it due to the lack of captioning feature. Vimeo replied: “This is something we are working on. Thanks for your patience!” Eric said: “For the deaf community, captions on a video are crucial to gaining access to content. Vimeo has been talking about captioning functionality for at least four years. Unfortunately, talk is cheap when you can’t hear.”

Eric is damn right - talk is cheap indeed. It's easy for you to say because you can hear, but not 50 millions of deaf and hard of hearing Americans and hundreds millions more in the world! And it's not just those people who benefit from captions, but many others like foreign language learners and remedial readers.

DU

DU

Comments from Vimeo staff on this page clearly show that they care more about foreign language speakers (i.e. to make more international versions) than about people with disabilities (i.e. to make more accessible versions).

Many millions of people who need captions can no longer afford to wait for captions (regardless of their hearing abilities). Captioning feature is as important as sound button - they both should be enabled in all videos!

Can you try to turn off sounds on your computer and see what it feels like to understand videos without sound and without captions? Try that not for one minute, but for a full day - to get the idea of how many millions deaf and hard of hearing people feel when browsing inaccessible websites!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi DU,

Once again I sympathize with your position. Vimeo is not trying to prioritize internationalization over accessibility, and as I've mentioned we are disappointed that we could not tackle this sooner.

However it is difficult, developers of all users would know this. Things like this take time to make sure they work correctly, are easy to understand, and function on a large scale. The fact that other sites have implemented this is not a tell of how easy it is.

Again, we are going to be implementing this very soon, and we have not forgotten about the users who require this. However keep in mind users who have needed/require this feature have placed their own captions in their video file with the help of an editor just up till now. Obviously it's not ideal for users who are not familiar with editing, but we've seen many users do this and continue to use Vimeo without issue.

We appreciate your concern in getting Vimeo up to speed with captioning, but please trust us when we say it's something we're actively working on and should have done soon. We did not start promising this until we were actually ready to create it, and though we are behind schedule, it is coming.

NeverFold

NeverFold

I'm getting battered by hearing people about the lack of captions on my own videos.

I'd love to be a beta tester when you release it.

Provided that your 'coming soon' was mentioned two months ago, it should be anytime now?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We're still working on this, but yes it should be coming soon! In the meantime, you can always upload a video file with the captions already included. We realize that's not ideal, but we're working on making this easier.

NeverFold

NeverFold

I share the frustrations with other users, even from 5 years ago.

Can you at least throw in a bone and give us an idea "how soon" it would be -- within the next month, 2 months or the year?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Sorry but we don't give ETA's on feature releases. But I assure you this is in current development and should be coming VERY soon :D

TeachIndy.com

TeachIndy.com PRO

No announcement of CC at NAB this year. Most likely this means it won't be coming out anytime soon.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Vimeo doesn't really announce feature launches at NAB. We'll make a post on our staff blog when our new player comes out that should carry this feature: vimeo.com/blog

Wisconsin Media Lab

Wisconsin Media Lab Plus

And let us know whether we will need our own caption files or if it will be auto, or both...

Paul Dowling

Paul Dowling

That is great news to know you are working on it. I recently volunteered to caption some videos for a educational institution that use their vimeo videos on their websites and thought it would be simple to add the SRT files to the videos. I really do not want to have to download their videos at HD embed the captions then send the new video back to them when I could just email them a 40k SRT file.

elamedia

elamedia PRO

do ti please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAPHA

RAPHA Plus

Would just like to say that we would also very much like this feature. At the moment we are having to create 7 to 9 versions of some films and upload them individually, which ultimately isn't practical or a good user experience for viewers.

Thank you.

Frank G

Frank G Plus

I'd like to share my videos fully with my brother who is deaf.

Brown SPS

Brown SPS Plus

We simply have to have it. And if it's not done this year, we will absolutely take our business elsewhere.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Sorry, we know it's important and are working very hard on it.

pc hq

pc hq

You are not. It's been 5 years and you still haven't done a thing about it. Vimeo is a joke, YOU are a joke. Stop pretending doing anything about it. It's a feature any decent coder would program in a couple of days top.

Just say the truth for one time : you don't care about the hearing impaired community you are making fun of since all those years. That's the truth.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi there,

Sorry you're upset, but it's worth noting we have not been promising this feature for 5 years. Only last year did we mention we had begun working on it – and currently are. We appreciate your concern, but please remember anything worth doing is worth doing right, and that's why this feature will take a little more time.

David Simmons

David Simmons

Hey Vimeo team:

I'm not gonna pardon my french... Do you realize there are 33 million Americans with hearing loss and your team conveniently ignored the accessibility needs of 33 million and more? It is not a luxury it is a necessity. It is equivalent denying the wheelchair users a ramp to your office building. 5 years of lip service tsk tsk.... Seeing is Believing when WE see the captions feature on your player. And you will gain more brand loyalty and business. GET BUSY!!!!

David Simmons

David Simmons

And where is your love for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing viewers? And yet you brand this on your website >> Made with love in NYC...

*SMH*

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey David,

Very sorry, as we mentioned we are working on it. In the meantime, users are free to upload subtitles in their video files directly. Our system will hopefully make captions much much easier for those who are unfamiliar with how they work.

David Simmons

David Simmons

Thank you for your response, but "Very Sorry" doesn't cut it...

1. There are tax credits if you provide accessibility.
2. What is the ETA?
3. Capions and Subtitles are different.
4. No captions/subtitles for the Deaf/HH people it is equivalent of not providing the audio portion of the video to the mass.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi David,

This isn't about convincing the Vimeo staff to do it, we already agree it's a much needed feature. We have been working on it since last December and are hoping to have it very soon in an easy-to-use package.

Unfortunately we cannot comment on feature ETAs.

FX-Ray

FX-Ray Plus

Same here: if it's not done this year, we will absolutely take our business elsewhere!

Misled Bayonets

Misled Bayonets

As a hearing impaired/deaf web user interface designer myself, I have the unique benefit of understanding the situation from both sides. Every day I encounter web video or audio that is inaccessible for me so I have first hand experience of this frustration.
I also work on a development team building websites and services for clients and am aware of the technological challenges and large cost of time and money to create new web technologies and experiences.

Vimeo really dropped the ball on this one, because whoever had the responsibility to prioritize tasks and projects for the Vimeo development team completely failed to acknowledge the importance of implementing Closed Captioning. 5 years ago, someone making the right call was all it took...

Closed captioning paves the way to making video accessible not just to deaf individuals but also to SEARCH ENGINES and MULTINATIONALS via a machine readable text format.

I have not used Vimeo and will not until CC is implemented.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Myles,

Thanks for your input on this. As I've mentioned in this thread, we did not have plans for this until last December, but yes it was something we wanted to get to sooner but had other priorities come up.

Again, we are actively working on this and want to get it out to users ASAP, there's just some more development involved before we can release it.

Rocky Mountain Human Services

Rocky Mountain Human Services

We are a nonprofit that serves people with developmental disabilities and traumatic brain injuries, so we have a great need for this for our client base.

We're currently in the process of getting our website certified as WCAG 2.0 compliant, and the fact that the Vimeo videos we embed in our website do not have captioning is an issue that will likely prevent us from getting the accessibility certification.

If anyone has suggestions for captioning tools or codes that work with Vimeo embedded videos, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, I think we'll need to switch to another video site that does support captioning.

Jeff Hutchins

Jeff Hutchins

I am one of the people who developed the closed captioning technology back in the '70s and '80s. It is appalling that Vimeo does not support CC. I put a couple of videos on this account, and before I upgraded to Pro (I will have several videos before too long), I decided to check on CC. I assumed it was available on Vimeo. I am so disappointed to learn that it is not. Vimeo, that is simply inexcusable this many years into your existence! I hate to take my business elsewhere, but unless you launch CC in the next two weeks, I will have no choice but to abandon Vimeo. I refuse to distribute a video that is inaccessible to people with hearing loss.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Jeff,

Apologies but as we mentioned we're working on it. We believe it is very important and hope to have a solution soon. In the meantime you are more than welcome to upload a file that has captions built in.

Aquarius Pictures

Aquarius Pictures Plus

Hey Vimeo, wake up! You ask money for Plus/Pro, but you don't offer such a simple service as CC. All the time just saying "We are developing", but no result. This is a total fail. I would like to upgrade, but with no CC it has no sense. So, you are loosing money.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We hope to have this feature soon! Sorry for the delay, but getting things right takes time.

Kinetic Learning, Inc.

Kinetic Learning, Inc. Plus

I can understand the complexities of adding a significant feature such as captioning, but it's been absent for far too long. There may be a list of more publicly-cried-for features that Vimeo works on before captioning, but I believe it would become a quickly-loved feature, with thousands of "Finally, Vimeo!!" posts across the web.

The technology isn't the issue; it's been done with other systems to good success. It's the attention that this feature has not been given.

Given that Vimeo came from creative/designer-esque beginnings versus a more accessible-friendly perspective can be understandable why this absence for a couple years, but nothing since 2007? Do you really need to be around for 7+ years (2014, we can hope) before such an important feature becomes available?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

As we've mentioned it's an important feature we're trying to get out, but we only stared working on it last December.

There are many factors to consider when implementing such a large overhaul to the functionality of our player and we want to get it right.

We really appreciate everyone's patience as we push to get this implemented ASAP.

Alex Moyler

Alex Moyler

Just throwing in my appreciation for the service Vimeo provides, but yes- where at work we embed our videos we would massively appreciate closed captions being made available for our d/Deaf viewers. Yes take the time and make it right, but I'd even take being able to test out a beta version of the service.

SJSU King Library

SJSU King Library PRO

It really is appalling that Vimeo still does not offer closed captioning. We provide educational videos, and as a public university are required to meet accessibility standards. The only reason we still use YouTube for our video tutorials, despite the lousy video quality, is that YouTube has the option to upload closed captioning. If Vimeo provided CC, we would finally be able to abandon YouTube.

Please take this issue a bit more seriously!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

I assure you it's being taken very seriously, but to get the feature to the quality that we consider "Vimeo ready", it's taking some time.

We hope to have at least the beginnings of the feature ready for use very soon!

California Newsreel

California Newsreel PRO

I'll be honest CC has been the main thing that has kept my company (as a producer and distributor of educational video) from embracing Vimeo. We like the interface and functionality but the player needs a data set that allows users to upload subtitling and play a timed subtitle set with the video. I don't know all of the ins and outs of the technical difficulties you encounter in implementation but at a minimum including a CC option in the player and a way to include one of the simple files youtube already uses (vtt, sbv or srt) would at least allow us to work a simple text file offsite but play the results with subtitling through vimeo. Speech recognition and other more advanced development tools could come later. Frankly, I'd do it all in youtube privately, destroy the video and keep the time coded file to serve it decently from Vimeo with captioning if I could. Just thinking out loud.

Columbia College Chicago

Columbia College Chicago PRO

Yes, the lack of closed captions has been a major issue with Vimeo for us. Thank you so much for working on this, it's been needed for a long time.

World Digital Ltd.

World Digital Ltd. PRO

Will the new subtitle system have multilingual features? Such as a google translate integration?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

That will most likely be two separate efforts. We'll start with offering captioning in some capacity, allowing you to use whichever language you choose, then possibly offer some multi-lingual support down the road.

Bryan Ollendyke

Bryan Ollendyke

I have completed backed away from vimeo as a direct result of this feature not being in there. Love your UI, your community and understand things take time. It's not just some "priority" it's a legal and more importantly a social matter.

As someone that posts educational materials I can't put them here and I can't recommend anyone else to do so either. It is a shame because outside of this complete lack of attention to a critical accessibility issue, you are leaps and bounds a better service provider then youtube or anything else out there I've used.

Please get your act together on this as you should have 4 years ago when you were notified about this 5 years ago. 1 is enough time to do something, 5 years is blatant disregard for the enormity of importance placed on this "feature request" by the world community.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Bryan,

Sorry you feel this way, but I don't think it's fair to say we've been ignoring this. We have openly acknowledged the need for this feature and while it is true that a while back we suggested users create captions of their own, we realize that as we grow it is something we must support.

We appreciate your patience while we implement this, but keep in mind it's only something we started working on recently.

Bryan Ollendyke

Bryan Ollendyke

"keep in mind it's only something we started working on recently." -- that was the complaint. I'm not trying to stir things up for your group, I've used, loved, and recommended vimeo for years. I want to see it be even better then it can be and used by an even larger audience. If you want to start landing gov, k-12, mooc, university audience and contracts you require this feature. Please realize this isn't just "a feature" but a legal requirement which you will be putting yourselves on better footing. I wish you the best in getting this in there, I know it's not easy.

SituationComedie

SituationComedie Plus

I know I just wish you'd give us a ballpark between 4 years or 2 weeks. We all need to make decisions based on calendar.

Urban Insight

Urban Insight PRO

I also add my support for CC. It realy should be the law. Come on vimeo. CC... and pre-roll! LOL

We need this ASAP!

Urban Insight

Urban Insight PRO

Matt, thanks for responding.

If you can't comment on dates, can you confirm at least a timeline max? Sometime in the next 18 months? We'll pay more for Vimeo, we think the player quality is worth it, however CC and pre-roll are must haves for accessibility and branding.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi there,

I'm sorry but we cannot comment on any dates, but we hope very soon. Also, Vimeo does not, and will not be supporting ads in our player. We believe the player to be a place only for the video and ask users instead use a third party player if they want to include ads.

sintaxi de butxaca

sintaxi de butxaca Plus

You MUST include CC. I am seriously rethinking staying at Vimeo because of this lack. I feel that paying for a platform that does not have this feature is nonsense.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

You are of course free to downgrade to Vimeo Basic, but as we've mentioned we're actively working on this feature – there's no debate.

That said we greatly appreciate your patience as things like this take time.

DGP

DGP Plus

5 years of "We're working on it". Simply lame. I'm done with you, Vimeo.

Wistia, here we come (they support captioning).

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We only started working on this feature at the end of last year, but I can understand your frustration. Sorry to see you go :(

Lance Messi

Lance Messi

Dear Matt Schwarz,
I've talked to a deaf friend of mine recently. He asked me how he can watch movies with captions on the internet. Well, I didn't know any web sites so I just taught him how to use torrent.
Some websites do close captioning but, as far as I can see, it is always very limited. And when I thought about it, in terms of Vimeo or Youtube or whatever, it didn't seems possible to me to apply this feature universally-for all videos.
There might be a way though. Other than getting the feature on use, if you can consider it as bigger campaign as making the online video streaming available for the deaf community. On your part that includes creating a public awareness between the video up-loaders so more of them would upload subtitles. And I wonder if you would make a project out of it, would you be able to get it funded, by whoever, so you can hire an extra work force to write the subtitles for the rest of the videos.
Thanks.
Have a nice time.

Andrew Grimm

Andrew Grimm

Do you have any screenshots of what you're working on? Or verification from independent organizations that you're working on this? Or do we have to take your word that you're working on it?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Andrew,

I'm afraid we won't be releasing previews to third parties or our user base before our feature is complete. As with any Vimeo development efforts, confirming that we're working on it means we're working on it.

Good people

Good people PRO

We are also in favour of Vimeo releasing CC. It would be a huge upgrade. As some mentions Wistia is way ahead in that front... Kind regards, Martin from Good people

Professor Roy

Professor Roy PRO

+1 for this feature. I create educational content. All my lectures are written out and could easily be formatted for integration into my Vimeo videos. Love Vimeo. Students love it too!

California Newsreel

California Newsreel PRO

I'm getting in the habit of checking this forum a couple times a week. CC and subtitling are a huge piece of this puzzle and we've not been able to figure out a 3rd party player option. Any word?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We're chugging away on it and hope to have the first version available soon!

Steve McDonald

Steve McDonald

I work at Princeton University and we rolled our own. Check it out on the princeton.edu homepage.

princeton.edu

If you use firebug just trace the code affiliated with our player buttons and you will see how we did it. In short: we used the froogaloop library to watch the "timecode" (not really timecode but the playhead position) and sync that with having loaded closed captions into a javascript array from XML (something we got working cross-browser) using a standard XML caption format. It took me a couple days to write and another web designer a few days to implement.

Vimeo, I hope you are listening. There is no reason you can't pilfer the code of two communications Web developers to add captions to your player (p.s. we love vimeo, and we have to have closed captions. We hope you steal our code and make it even better!)

(Disclaimer: This is not an endorsement from our school. Shhh. Just get this work completed. And you can find me through my login if you have questions.)

Link: princeton.edu

California Newsreel

California Newsreel PRO

Steve,
I love that you did this. We've looked at similar solutions but the problem is the full screen player doesn't allow a caption overlay. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for the input.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Steve,

Nice to see you have a solution! Ours will be built directly into our player and not require users to have development knowledge to make it work on a page, so we definitely appreciate your patience while we begin to roll it out...soon!

Steve McDonald

Steve McDonald

Hey Matt - We are excited to be a part of whatever you are rolling out. Is there a way we could chat?

Marcellus Nealy

Marcellus Nealy PRO

Vimeo, when you guys finally release your caption-able player I will use it.
In the mean time, I need a solution now. So Steve, if you don't mind I will firebug what you guys did and use the code on my site. Thank you for making the information available.

Maykel Stone

Maykel Stone

As we are in closed captions, are you developing it only for the website, or will it be as well available in your tablet/smartphone app? (like YouTube, you can activate CC in the app too, now)

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

At first, they'll be available in all players on the desktop and embeds in iOS 7. We'll be working hard after that to bring them to as many platforms as we can as soon as we can.

Olive Tree TV

Olive Tree TV PRO

Greatly looking forward to CC.

We have a Roku channel that pulls videos from our Vimeo Pro account (using direct links).

Please include closed captioning functionality when using direct links.

Thanks!

AquarelleArtist

AquarelleArtist

I too want closed captioning. I create closed captions using MOVIE CAPTIONER software and can add the correct file type for captions to YouTube.

My goal is to produce HD broadcast television quality. As you may know, closed captions are legally required for TV.

Side note, I've been trying to create a new thread in the "Help" category, but I press the black button to create the thread, it turns blue... then nothing. My thread is not created.

I'd appreciate it if someone from the staff could contact me.

thank you,

AquarelleArtist

Wisconsin Media Lab

Wisconsin Media Lab Plus

Will the captions in the player be auto-generated, user file generated, or both?

Thanks!

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

You will need to upload the caption files yourself at first. We hope to offer some other options soon after that!

Howard Eriksson

Howard Eriksson

Closed Captions are not only for the deaf!
Search Engines love them for correctly indexing content within the video, "CC" also enables translation and conversion to subtitle files offline.
From a learning perspective the added dimension of captioning even in your own language facilitates learning and in marketing possibly some extra sales.
The law regarding CC for television could eventually close in on the internet.
Do it now and avoid the panic later

Aquarius Pictures

Aquarius Pictures Plus

I would love to work for Vimeo - no stress, no deadlines, doesn't matter at all when you finish the job, saying "we are working hard on it" is your mantra, "very soon" means more than one year etc. Come on, guys, it seems you are developing some scientific patent-pending thing, that will change the world - well, it is only the CC feature that "every amateur site" Youtube has for years, but "professionals site" Vimeo is developing it for years. What sort of developers do you have? Developers that for years can't finish the feature that has already been developed??? It looks it is everything else but professional team. A Mickey Mouse organization could do that... Say 11 months ago it would be "very soon", and still nothing... Come on!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We've only recently started working on it and have been very transparent that it wasn't something we had going until recently. That said, we are on the cusp of it's first rollout and are excited to let you use it!

Brendan Behan

Brendan Behan Plus

It's a pity that closed captioning is not already available, though I am appreciative to read the recent staff replies indicating that is on "the cusp of it's first rollout." Please know that we will be watching closely to assure that these promises are upheld and taken seriously. I would also encourage the Vimeo team to revise their thinking about this as merely a "feature request." For myself, as a disabled man, prefer to note that this is actually an accessibility demand. No one would refer to accessibility ramps for buildings as a "feature" as it were merely something additive or extra - it's incredibly paternalistic and derisive. This is an issue of demanding accessibility for ourselves and our audiences. Both YouTube and Dailymotion have made it a priority. Please, Vimeo, understand that accessibility is not merely an additive "extra." Curious, too, that all these features in the "New Vimeo" rollout did not include CC: vimeo.com/new

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Brendan,

While we cannot comment on ETAs, this feature is having it's bow tied around it as we speak, and we're very exited to get feedback from folks like you who will be making use of it!

Please check out vimeo.com/blog for further updates!

Telecinese

Telecinese Plus

Just yes already. People have been asking for this for five years now.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

True, but we've been very clear that it wasn't something we were going to implement ourselves and asked users to put captions into their own video files. We then acknowledged the need for this and regretfully -- due to product changes -- had to delay this release, but it is now extremely close to the first rollout.

TEAM

TEAM PRO

We are excited to see the rollout of closed captioning on Vimeo and will certainly use it. Sooner than later we hope!

Cinecom

Cinecom PRO

I would also like to thumbs up this feature request. I'm waiting long for this ability with several of my videos.

Learn V-Ray

Learn V-Ray PRO

In another thread - 1 YEAR AGO - you said "we're working on"
And 4 days ago I read "We've only recently started working on it "

Not for polemic, but I'm a PRO user, this account is for our business so I need to have clear info about. Can you clarify please? Thanks

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Sorry for the confusion. Since those comments are out of context I can only imagine that the second was in reference to the first -- meaning that we only recently started working on it towards the end of last year.

Either way, we're right on top of the first rollout :)

Chip Gallo

Chip Gallo Plus

Captions are needed for the deaf and hard-of-hearing folks. Videos with inadequate audio tracks also benefit. Vimeo should step up and resolve this quickly.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.