Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

One of the things we learned in college for videography was to take one subject and make it interesting, even though in reality, it's boring with one shot. I wish I still had my footage from then so I could use it as a sample, but I'll do a new one to show you what I mean. I'm going to take a mailbox, and only the mailbox, and make it interesting by showing different shots, pans, and angles. You can take anything you want, as long as it's one subject only. Could be a person, a thing, animal, tree, you name it.
I'll upload the mailbox later once i'm done shooting and editing.
Have fun!
Remember, play with pans, close-ups, different angles...close-ups definitely help.
welcome to use editing as part of the creativeness and interestinginess :) That includes anything you want to add like sounds, music, color correction, video effects etc.
Blake pointed out that Remyyy already did one so here is the first one!
vimeo.com/194328
Good example by Charlie McCarthy as well using a tree:
vimeo.com/409511

Eric had a good idea. please tag your video with makeitinteresting so i can find it easier. if not, you can always message or shout in the channel.

and have fun doing it! thanks!

Update: Here's my video of the mailbox: vimeo.com/619459

No name

No name

Thank you! I added it to the channel.

Brett Sanders

Brett Sanders

Sounds like a challenge. I may mess around with this today.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

Remyyy and Victoria did something like this with door nobs, you should search their vids for it.

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

awesome thanks! they'll be the first in the channel for this then :)
here's the video by Remyyy:
vimeo.com/194328
added to the channel. great example of what i want done...

johnbmx4christ

johnbmx4christ

.what is allowed as far as post production?..i mean of course people are adding sounds so are we allowed to use some visuals as well?is that what you meant by "welcome to use editing as part of the creativeness and interestinginess "

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

yes. you can use anything you want. only rule is to only use one subject... music/sounds/editing are definitely welcome!

Eric E. Anderson

Eric E. Anderson

I am in - this is right down my alley. Should we tag our vids with "makeitinteresting"?

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

sure! that works... but you can also just send me a message or shout in the channel. but tagging is a good idea.
thanks! looking forward to it!

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

awesome! have fun doing it! i did!

Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Plus

Cool idea Mark! I'll give it a try when I get some time. I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

cool thx! i'll have mine done tonight probably and i'll post.

Karen Abad

Karen Abad Plus

...I should be working on an assignment for school......but i guess I'll do this instead....right now...haha

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

more fun than school! hope i don't get you in trouble :) looking forward to it.

Karen Abad

Karen Abad Plus

hahah oh man..so i think im gonna turn this in for my assignment as well...

since i put some time into this..

when my quota refreshes on sunday you'll see this

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

two birds with one stone.... nice!!! i'm glad i could help out :) we had to do the same project in college, and was really fun to do. amazing how you can get one object/subject to look so exciting, meanwhile it's just blah. looking forward to it!

Karen Abad

Karen Abad Plus

Actually I realized today that I am killing 3 birds (sorry birds) with one stone.

my assignment (it's almost too easy to justify art for any sort of vague arbitrary assignment)
your project
my Q&A project with my 2 friends "make a video about your favorite inanimate object".

I figured since i put so much work into it that I should milk it for all its worth..haha

okay i'm off to watch your mailbox right now...

Deh Geh

Deh Geh

Man, you bring me in some big time-trouble here :D
I'll sure will try but I'm afraid it may take a day or two ...

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

that's my job :) no rush... have fun with it...

Tiago Pierotti

Tiago Pierotti

WOW !!! that's it Mark !!! Let's do it!
love doing this kind of thing! I did "the Light" on vimeo.com/608341

but for this I'll concentrate in one object and create a story!

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

awesome. that video is great! something along that line, except just one subject using different angles/closeups to tell a mini story about that subject...

toothgrind3r

toothgrind3r Plus

Thanks for telling me about this, looks like it'll be a lot of fun, and challenging.
I hope to have time to do this tomorrow.
See ya soon!

Javed Ahmed

Javed Ahmed

I'll try doing one soon... a bit busy at the moment, but hopefully I'll get time next week.

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

So here's my first video for this project... I had so much fun doing it. Hope you enjoy...as you can see, I used closeups, pans, drivebys, editing, and music to make it interesting...could have done better, but just wanted to get a quick video out there..
vimeo.com/619459
Linda just finished hers as well. nice!
vimeo.com/618436

w.pasman

w.pasman

Working on something that I think fits this channel. Will take a lot of techniques that are new for me, hopefully I get it done coming week.

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

love it! nice music too :) can't believe you rode around on your bike... very "interesting" !!! :)
keep them coming!

w.pasman

w.pasman

My contribution is finally online! It's about my icom computer scanner and I think it fits this category

vimeo.com/702520

No name

No name

Just added. AWESOME.

No name

No name

Video added. Thank you! That's some true HD! ;)

No name

No name

People keep the submissions coming!
vimeo.com/makeitinteresting

How to add yours to the channel:
-Message me with your video's URL
-Tag your video with ' MII '
-Place video URL in the shout box on channel
-Post it here in this forum topic

Thanks for the awesome submissions and keep them coming. New people, please visit the channel and feel free to subscribe!

Thanks again! :)

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

nice! added the latest one to MII channel.

send julian

send julian

This is my first vimeo upload. I'm intimidated by the amount of talent Vimeo has to offer. I really enjoy watching all of your videos!

vimeo.com/1397480

Rak n Rol

Rak n Rol

I wish I had a camera, so I can make some also. Though I'm still a newbie on this area. But it's worth a try ^^ All the videos are my inspiration for learning. I expect more on these stuff. Kudos to all!

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

where's the video... it's been 19 days :) he he...

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

interesting :) added to MII :) thx!

NICOLE CHEN

NICOLE CHEN

cool I'll do something interesting

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

very cool. not really about one subject, but added to the Driveo project instead!

Maxwell GS

Maxwell GS

I like it!!! Good job. I'm going to do one now. You can have the glory of being my inspiration. Yay.

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

very interesting subkect! thanks! added.

Bruce Tritton

Bruce Tritton

This channel is awesome. For us newbies it's a great learning tool!

keith trimm

keith trimm

I made this video and then this perfect thread came along
vimeo.com/1803755

All I had was the house, so I tried to make it as interesting as I could.

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

very cool! perfect time , halloween is right around the corner :) added...

Mark Jensen

Mark Jensen

very cool! added! thanks for playing :)

Jozef Garcia

Jozef Garcia Plus

Here's mine:
vimeo.com/1963238

I'm in the film at times, but in my defense the Red Plastic Hammer completes the ensemble. I needed to have it it motion.

Fear the red plastic hammer!

Gabi Caballero

Gabi Caballero

that was so much fun! good project idea :D i tagged a video for it ...

James Sims

James Sims

Dear Mark,

I was stimulated by this project, so I decided to take it on as my first video project. This project gave me some focus in this new medium, which although I am photographer, seems to have infinite possibilities, compounded by, or enhanced, by motion and sound.

vimeo.com/3806219

Regards,

James

krzysiek dabek

krzysiek dabek

hey hey im new here just wanted to show u my video
i was sewing few pictures from my toy exhibition in after effect... program added interesting glitches i think
vimeo.com/4006822

Rob

Rob

This project still going on?

If so I will throw up a video sometime next week :)

shrox

shrox

I am not sure if my work would qualify as the subject is in motion, but one could say it is centered on two objects and their relationship towards one another I suppose.

vimeo.com/1490030

Mathew Augustus

Mathew Augustus

fantastic idea. this is a great skill for people who want to create any kind of propaganda or advertising and when you're filming something that's truly one dimensional you really get to understand the techniques you use.

owiredu augustine

owiredu augustine

I am a Ghanaian young man in his 40's and a catholic as well. I feel so moved by your project. It's so nice to me. What can we do together???

Adrián Murillo

Adrián Murillo Plus

I think my latest video fits in here. I's just one single column of smoke. It even was recorded in one take (but edited later, of course): vimeo.com/620185

Cestmir Peltan

Cestmir Peltan

vimeo.com/2630752

This one might fit. By checking this thread out i actually realized most of my videos focus on one subject. interesting...

Atom Film

Atom Film

ETKI / EFFECT (Short Film-English Subtitles)
If the eye has a memory, the thing that it saw can be the most beautiful? (Different fiction, Different Story)

Manisa Altın Üzüm Film Festivali En İyi Film Ödülü (Best Short Film Award)
İstanbul Kısa Film Festivali Finalist
Kristal Klaket Kısa Film Yarışması Finalist
Dünya Göz Kısa Film Yarışması Finalist
Sinepark Film Festivali Finalist

Link: vimeo.com/43184901

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.