oakwood dc

oakwood dc

When retrieving info on videos from the api the information supplied back doesn't seem to contain the direct link to video (either standard definition or mobile) it just contains the link to the vimeo page.

Is there are way of constructing the direct link? possibly with an oath signed request?

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

We've considered adding this, but for now there is no way to get a direct link through the API.

oakwood dc

oakwood dc

This is quite a frustrating shortcoming. I'm sure there will be many developers using the pro service who will require this. What are the chances of getting this added anytime soon?

PCPC Video

PCPC Video PRO

Being able to generate the url for the mp4 video would be a great help! Please add this feature. When signing up, I thought that was available in the PRO service.

SimpliFlow

SimpliFlow PRO

Do direct links already work in the PRO version? Or are there any ways to get a direct link to the mp4 file for streaming usage?

Ryan Pannell

Ryan Pannell

Sorry to hijack but is anyone else getting a 403 when trying to post a thread?

Analytical Graphics, Inc.

Analytical Graphics, Inc. PRO

I am having the same issue with trying to obtain the direct link. As a pro account we thought this was possible. This will be a deal breaker and we will most likely look for other services to serve our video needs

Suzanne LaCombe

Suzanne LaCombe PRO

I also expected to be able to obtain direct links to my videos as part of the pro account.

the One project

the One project PRO

+1 on this. Anyone from Vimeo following this thread? As a pro account holder, we would love to be able to automate the process instead of generating links one by one. It's absolutely essential for integrating into our IOS apps. (and no, we'd prefer not to use a webview with the normal embed)

Vimeo FAQ:

TheraSim

TheraSim PRO

Do we have an answer? How can we obtain these direct links without going through so many hoops? It is very difficult to manage many videos if we are forced to go through the web interface.

Keith Baldwin

Keith Baldwin

We are also a PRO user needing the http live streaming link through the API.
It defeats the purpose of using a third party player if you can't access the video through the API. And the http streaming only works in a third party player. Catch 22

NOW Magazine

NOW Magazine PRO

What's the point of the Pro service if the direct links aren't available in the API? We need to find a new solution asap as this is a total deal breaker.

TagesWoche

TagesWoche PRO

We are suffering of the same problem.

Still, the problem is not, that vimeo doesn't support it. The problem is, that iOS only accepts the native player. If you look at Googles and Apples policy it is theoreticly not possible to play a youtube on a iOS Device: Google leagaly doesn't support mp4 and Apple only supports the native player. As you can assume: The one that provides the player is the one that provides the paymentsystem and the adds.

And this is also the reason, why I beg you, dear vimeo, make the url available through the api. I rather pay you more for this function, than beeing a victom of a fight, that only loosers care about. Make money with service, not with suppression. The second way, is the way of Google and Apple. Not yours.

Thank you for your time, your great system and giving it a thought.

esoft systems dev

esoft systems dev PRO

Can Vimeo please provide an ETA for this feature (direct links in the API for Pro users).
We are considering switching to Vimeo (over 10k videos), but need this feature (or at-least an estimate of when it will be available) before switching video services provider.

It's a really important feature in the API for us Pro users, so some feedback from Vimeo would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

MokaBox Ltd

MokaBox Ltd

Please, the direct link to the video is fundamental through a PRO account otherwise we are not able to give our clients a copy of the video we have uploaded for them. Please implement this ASAP. Thanks.

FunGolf GPS

FunGolf GPS PRO

+1.

I've just purchased a Pro account being under impression that direct links are available via API.

Dan Powers

Dan Powers

Pro FAQs say there is a direct link to each video to use for 3rd party players. Does this mean that this direct link can also be used for sharing the video via social media channels? Or is a direct link for this usage still not offered under the Pro account? Can someone please clarify this for me.

thx!

Rick Haywood

Rick Haywood

Just asked the same question via twitter and then stumbled upon this thread. For me this is also a dealbreaker. As we want to use the API and access the video's directly.

Matrix Sales Coach

Matrix Sales Coach PRO

I was very glad to see that there is a direct link when I view settings on the video. I thought for sure this would be included in the API. Boy was I wrong. What a disappointment. I don't get it Vimeo: you obviously have the direct link that you are willing to provide. Why can't it be included the API? There are a lot of developers that need this - what does it hurt you to provide it? How many people have to complain before you do something about it?

Matrix Sales Coach

Matrix Sales Coach PRO

Actually, you don't even have to include it in the API - just let me know how to generate the s= part of the query string so I have permission to access. That would work for me too, but we need something. Seriously!

Eventsupport

Eventsupport PRO

hi all,

did i miss something or is there an answer to this feature already?

would be very nice to provide us a automatic way to get the videolink.

many thanks in advance

The Gingerbread Man

The Gingerbread Man PRO

Due to the shortcomings in vimeo (specifically mobile deployments) having this available is ultimately a _need_ to have. Fall-back to direct links to mp4's would work on most phones, in fact mobile playback inline is not a nice experience in the best of circumstances.

Linking directly to the mp4 would utilize the inbuilt media players, and having more resources available than an embedded media player will have.

Cinchcast

Cinchcast PRO

@Sound Channel this post is about programmatically obtaining the url via the API.

Can a staff member respond, its been 2 years since an update on this and the embedded player has major shortcomings.

Indie Film Depot

Indie Film Depot PRO

I need this Features. I will embed my videos into my site using Flowplayer. But unfornately no one in the staff can add this features. Im so sad. :(

IDF

IDF PRO

Another bump from another user. Could this indeed please be added?

Matrix Sales Coach

Matrix Sales Coach PRO

Yes, please help us out on this Vimeo. Seems like all we need is just that s parameter from the direct download and streaming links to be passed within the video info in the API. If that could be added that would make life SO much better!

portalZINE.TV

portalZINE.TV PRO

Check the new API.

File links have been added to the new "videos" endpoint.

$videos = $vimeo->request('/me/videos');
$videos = $vimeo->request('/videos/*clip_id');

developer.vimeo.com/api

Cheers
Alex

Soft Citizen

Soft Citizen PRO

Here's how you do it using ASP.NET and V3 api

HttpWebRequest request = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create("api.vimeo.com/videos/CLIP_ID?client_id=CLIENT_IDENTIFIER";);
request.Headers.Add("Authorization", "Bearer ACCESS_TOKEN");
request.Method = WebRequestMethods.Http.Get;
request.AllowAutoRedirect = true;
request.Proxy = null;
request.Accept = "application/json";
HttpWebResponse response = (HttpWebResponse)request.GetResponse();
Stream stream = response.GetResponseStream();
StreamReader streamreader = new StreamReader(stream);
string s = streamreader.ReadToEnd();
Response.Write(s);

The response object indeed contains a download link - but is broken!

vimeo.com/api/file/download?clip_id=87683659&id=2310781&profile=standard&codec=H264&exp=1394462231&sig=e4040037dd264007607c0e5dc7c26c2be6f1e40d

Any ideas?

Alex.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.