ViewSource, Inc.

ViewSource, Inc. PRO

We are experiencing an issue with the embedded videos not playing on the GalaxyTab. Even though we are aware that we can essentially "trick" our device into playing these by switching our browser it is not a reasonable solution (nor is simply creating an app). The average client will not know of this option, nor should they have to deal with the inconvenience. What measure are being taking to resolve this issue?

Lumina Motion Pictures

Lumina Motion Pictures Plus

We seem to be having issues with our embedded videos on our website not playing on iPhone. We have iPhone 3gs and 4 both running iOS5.

We Can see the embedded thumbnail, the like and share buttons all show up but pressing play gets a little spinning circle for a few seconds then nothing. Button goes back to showing play.

Clips are embedded at lumina-mp.com/blog

One Inc.

One Inc.

I am having a similar issue, how did you resolve this?

Wiley Flo Productions

Wiley Flo Productions Plus

There is another thread that says Mobile Format No Longer Working. So there are the same problems here in separate threads. Vimeo can't even see how pervasive this problem is. There are over 26,000 separate topics, and most of them are probably complaining about the same issues. If we are not better organized, I don't see how Vimeo will be able to help us.

The videos for my documentary on heavy metal music in Mozambique do not play on my Android HTC Hero or HTC Wildfire. Funny thing is they played before I started paying for Vimeo Plus.

These days you get one shot to show someone your work.
If they load it on their phone, and it doesn't play, you've lost that shot.

Link: vimeo.com/26203769

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, what Android operating version are those phones running?

Wiley Flo Productions

Hero is 2.1. Wildfire is 2.2. Yesterday the guy in the phone store said Vimeo was not compatible with HTC. He tried to play my videos on another HTC. The thing is, they used to play!!!
I am bothered by the disparity between loads and plays.
As I said, I think you only get one shot to show your work.

Robbie Veldwijk

Robbie Veldwijk

I am having the same problem here, I uploaded a video yesterday and it is not available at my iPhone 3gs with iOS5... I also see that none of my video's are working on my mobile, that really sucks...

I have been searching on the website and cannot find any solution. I was thinking that you changed the settings for free users? That we cannot watch the video's on mobile made by free users? The reason why I don't have a plus account is that I upload a video ones a half year...

Is there allready a solluction for this? Is this really because I don't have a plus account? I think it would be a really bad decision when free accounts video's cannot be watched on mobile phones because that is the future... When that is the problem than I am forced to use the damn u tube... :(

That would not be a reason for me to go plus, because I just don't make that many video's to pay that amount of money! I hope to hear from you!

Greetings Robbie

Link: vimeo.com/31514978

Mark

Mark Staff

Mobile versions are only available for Plus members, sorry Robbie.

Robbie Veldwijk

Robbie Veldwijk

Why did you guys did that? Do you really think that people than make the switch to a plus/pro account? I think that the difference makes that you can upload more when you are an active video maker.

Now you take the power away from vimeo for users that don't upload that many video's in a year. For maybe 4 a 5 video's a year I don't gonna pay that money for a plus account. Normally it was possible and that is not weird if you see in what time we are...

U tube is for those user more interesting I think... So then you lose the users that always used vimeo (like me). For the couple video's I made I always used vimeo for on me4all.nl since 3 years ago...

The only reason why u tube is not so good is because of the ads... They upload, convert the video's in 10 minutes and than it is done, but I am okay to wait longer on vimeo. Now they also give us the possibility to use it for mobile, for free, but you don't... The u tube video's are easier to find in google and stuff like that... These things gives me a negative feeling about using vimeo... I think you all make a big mistake with this choice...

I hope that you (or maybe your bosses) consider this function again... Because when I should upload more video's than I would pay for it because I like vimeo more! But now....

Greetings Robbie

Mark

Mark Staff

Hi Robbie, check your messages!

Gordon Harris

Gordon Harris

I just bought a Motorola XOOM tablet and signed up to Vimeo to enjoy the wonderful videos there. For 2 days they worked well, then they suddenly quit. The sound works but the videos stay at the first image.

I read here that mobiles are not supported, so why did they first work then stop? Shouldn't they have NEVER worked?

It says there's a place below he video to choose between HTML5 and Flash, but I can't find it. Am I blind?

Please help!

Gordonf

Sid Keiser

Sid Keiser Plus

My problem was related to the Microsoft Tag app on my Droid X not playing the vimeo video that it points to. I had started a new post that was then locked because it related to this one. Well not exactly...if I go to the video using the phone's browser the video will play fine. Here is what Microsoft had to say....

"Hi Sid,

This is a known bug wherein the embedded browser of Microsoft tag reader for Android platforms doesn’t support mp4 videos encoded in HTML5 format. The current embedded browser is HTML4 compatible with little HTML5 support. As a workaround, please code the page in HTML4 format so as to make the tag scan workable for all platforms. Our operation team is actively working on a fix to address the issue as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Microsoft Tag Support Team"

any help deciphering this would be appreciated...thanks!

Wiley Flo Productions

I have Vimeo Plus, so that's not the answer. My videos do not play on my Android HTC Hero or Android HTC Wildfire. And at least one other Android HTC that I tried in a store.

Why am I paying for Vimeo Plus if videos do not play on the phone?

I have seen on these threads that there are other Plus users having the same problem.

My videos do not play on my phone no matter what I try to go through.

BTW some Vimeos play for me, just not mine.

When are you going to solve this?

It is necessary that people be able to play on their phones.

I have also emailed you guys about this problem, to no avail.

Heavy Metal in Mozambique

Link: vimeo.com/26203769

Mark

Mark Staff

We're looking into this and we're sorry for the delay!

Wiley Flo Productions

Videos should play on the phones of anyone who wants to see them, otherwise why use Vimeo instead of YouTube?

My videos still don't play on my Android HTCs either.

dp_edit

dp_edit

I also have a Plus account and my videos are no longer viewable. HTC Hero running 2.1. Please please fix this!

Mark

Mark Staff

We have no ETA at the moment, but this is something we're actively looking into.

dp_edit

dp_edit

FWIW, I rooted my Hero and upgraded to 2.3, videos are playing fine now but I think we're all quite worried about who can view what now. Looking forward to hearing what mobile OS's these are actually working on, and what mobile OS's will be supported going forward. Thanks for all the hard work, stay awesome, Vimeo :)

WildAcre Productions

WildAcre Productions

I can confirm that Vimeo is an unmitigated disaster on my new Toshiba AT100 (aka Toshiba Thrive in the USofA). The foregoing thread shows a level of incompetence or indifference from Vimeo which really surprises me. C'mon Vimeo get the finger out... "Vim" = energy, vitality? Time for a name change?

John Lane

John Lane Plus

In the mean time, is there a 3rd party app that ANYONE has used with some success - for Droid?

I prefer Vimeo, but this is a serious health issue for their business; I hope they realize. Impatient 'consumers' and potential clients don't wait around for anything, these days.

Adam Laiben

Adam Laiben

Grooveshark Mobile getting accepted into app market/store, point and case. Line and sinker. Calvin and Hobbes.

up and down.

Link: mobile.grooveshark.com

Johnathan Shoemaker

Johnathan Shoemaker

We're seriously considering switching to youtube for our embedding as well. Vimeo is falling way behind here! This used to be the place for HD video but youtube got it figured out. They also realized that it's important to get mobile video working. The fact that google owns youtube (for SEO purposes), the fact that it's free, and the fact that it actually works should encourage Vimeo to move a little faster - perhaps, four months ago when the issues started rolling in on the previous thread? All youtube has to do is offer some pro service at half your cost and Wow... Bye vimeo!

Carlos Anjo Generoso

Carlos Anjo Generoso

Guys, I just want to say that unfortunately, your mobile phones will now be unable to play flash on the future. Adobe stopped developing their flash players on Mobile phones because mobiles are now going to switch to HTML 5 in the future.

If you do not believe me, watch this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=zRsTbF_M284

TONYBOT Video Productions

TONYBOT Video Productions Plus

If you current mobile device can play Flash today, it will play Flash tomorrow. Adobe simply announced they aren't doing further development on it.... But they arent' taking away existing functionality.

Julz Lab

Julz Lab

HD Videos is not working on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Any idea when you will have completed your app for Android tablets?

I kind of regret buying my Plus account now...

Mark

Mark Staff

We have no ETA for for the Android app, but it should be soon!

Adam Laiben

Adam Laiben

Have had an ASUS Transformer 101 for three weeks with newest android and have never been able to watch Vimeo content. I have tried kn Facebook (embed), other sites embed, and Vimeo.com and only ever get audio with no video playback.

Adam Laiben

Adam Laiben

no plus account, no mobile version, just want to watch cool timelapse videos of this Earth!

Mark

Mark Staff

Sorry Adam! We're working on this!

Adam Laiben

Adam Laiben

Thanks!
I enjoyed your pillowmovie (on my desktop).

Link: http:/

javijgl

javijgl

We have vimeo pro and can't play videos with android 2.1 and 2.3.3 something about that?

Luke Swanson

Luke Swanson

Hi, thought that I'd report that I can no longer view videos from vimeo mobile on my family's Palm Pre (2, I think), running webOS 1.4.5.1, even though they used to work just fine before the update to the mobile site. Just from browsing this help forum, it looks to me like there is almost no one who can watch movies on vimeo mobile anymore, have you guys considered reverting to the previous version of the mobile site? If no one can use this update, I'd say that there is no point in having the update until you have actually worked out the bugs in the system. At the very least, is there any way that you can make the old mobile site available to those who can't use this new one?

javijgl

javijgl

Please is so important for my client get an answer about android question...

Mark

Mark Staff

We're working on this! Sorry for the inconvenience!

clgchurch

clgchurch

It is very strange
i am plus user
Using android browser on CM7 HP Touchpad, i could play my vimeo videos posted between 5 months ago and 8 months ago. however, i could play any others vimeo video posted anytime, even now.
Using Opera mini on same device, i couldn't play any vimeo video. Neither on my Blackberry Bold 9700 via wifi.

Mark

Mark Staff

We're looking into this, thanks for your feedback and sorry for the inconvenience!

i agree that the problem used to not exist. The mobile videos played ok until a recent site update about a month ago...

That said, if it is any help for the vimeo staff to troubleshoot, at least for me, it DOES work if connected to wifi... but not if trying to access over a 3G or 4G connection.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 Sprint Epic 4G.

Might i adjust anything in the settings? Maybe its a buffering problem.

Matt Colvin

Matt Colvin Plus

I'm on iPhone 4 running iOS 5 and on Wifi and the videos don't work either. It doesn't seem to matter if the connection is Wifi or 3G... at least for me.

RSMichaels

RSMichaels Plus

I'm experiencing the same problem as Matt C above iOS 5 iPhone 4. Recent problem. Worked last week.

Carlos Coleman

Carlos Coleman

I have a BlackBerry Torch, and I've been watching videos on my mobile until about a month ago. What happened? Do you think it was BB's new update? Please help, I want to continue to enjoy vimeo.

Carlos

Olivier Maes

Olivier Maes

hi VIMEO team, is there any progress or update on the issue of vimeo not playing the video's on a samsumg galaxy tablet 10.1? i still only hear sound without image when launching a video on your site. Quite annoying..

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

Hey everyone, we're looking into these mobile playback issues.

Petra Slowik

Petra Slowik

New member, same problem. ANDROID 2.2 AND NO VIDEO WILL PLAY. CERTAINLY NOT GOING TO PAY FOR ANY VERSION UNTIL U CAN ASSURE ME IT WILL WORK ON MY ANDROID. UNTIL THEN, BACK TO U TUBE. WHEN U FIX THE PROBLEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I'LL COME BACK.

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

I think what people want to know is when you will have this issue resolved. No ETA is just too vague... I get the feeling you will lose alot of customers otherwise - even if they might be leaving reluctantly... Is there any clue as to when? Thanks for letting us know.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi, sorry for the frustration. Unfortunately, with the rapid rate at which mobile software is being created and updated it has proved a difficult task for us to offer playback on all mobile devices. It is something that we want to offer and are working on being able to provide, but at the moment cannot. Nor can we affirm that there is a specific date in which these issues will all be resolved. We will keep you all posted though and appreciate your patience.

AndreasR

AndreasR Plus

Hello, I am asked to renew my vimeo plus, and at the same time plan on buying the samsumg galaxy tablet 10.1. But vimeo videos are not playing there. So, either you come up with a solution soon, or I will discontinue my plus account and switch to youtube, that I don't very much like, normally ...
Can I get a mail once you have solved the problem? You got my username.

Champ Ensminger

Champ Ensminger Alum

Hi there, we apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately we have no estimate as to when our videos will be available for the Galaxy tablet. My suggestion would be to switch to video service that is more convenient for you for the time being until we release an update. Again, sorry for the inconvenience!

Paul Cooper

Paul Cooper

As a Web Developer I'm amazed that this issue still exists. I created a test player that works fine on Android/iOS in about 5 minutes...

Mark

Mark Staff

Sorry Paul, we're working on this.

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Hi Mark,

I understand you're working on a solution. Can you at least guarantee that at some point videos will play on most Android phones?

I know you don't want to give a precise date, but are we talking days, weeks, months? Some indication would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Staff

It's not that we don't want to give a precise date, it's that we simply are unsure of when this will be resolved. Rest assured it's being worked on. I'm sorry I don't have more information to give.

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. Won't bug you about this, but wonder if you can answer this for me.
As we can use 3rd party players, if I were to use JWPlayer (for example) could this mean videos can be played on Android phones? I'm not technically minded... so forgive me if it sounds stupid...
Thanks

Mark

Mark Staff

If JWPlayer supports Android, then yes, I don't see why it wouldn't.

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

I'll give it a go and update you if it works - so others can do the same if they want to...

Kevin Ung

Kevin Ung

Videos don't play on my Galaxy s2

Brand Cool Marketing

Brand Cool Marketing PRO

Embedded videos fail to play on Moto Droid Incredible, Samsung Galaxy, or Nook Color.

On at least the Nook Color, videos play fine from the Vimeo site.

Failure is with both "old" and "new" embed code.

Brand Cool Marketing

Brand Cool Marketing PRO

additional note: would be nice if the failure mode was to display a link to the video on Vimeo, since videos here seem to play fine on the android devices.

This USED to work (for everyone)... Thats why its frustrating, because with the goal of improvement, things were made worse upon the site update.

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Hi Mark,
No luck with JW Player - I think I'd have to hire a programmer to get it to work...

Could you please update me (and others)? I don't think it's unreasonable for us to ask for an estimate of when the Android issue will be resolved. We don't need a specific date... Are we talking 2012? January - February?

I'm just about to pay up for another hosting package (regrettably) - but wanted to check in with you in case you're just about to release a solution.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

Mark Staff

We are not sure when this matter will be resolved but we're actively looking into it.

Mark

Mark Staff

Carlos, no, sorry - we have no current plans to support Blackberry at this time.

National DCP

National DCP

I'm having the same issue. They worked last week and now it has stop. Any idea as to when this will be fixed.

Boardertime

Boardertime

Hi there,

I just bought a Sony Tablet S (android 3.2) and the videos do not work - although everything works fine with iphone 4. So i'm really a little disappointed not being able to use the device with the bigger screen....

Ben Couch

Ben Couch Plus

The copy and paste method of support is even more frustrating than the original problem. Save some time and just say "see above," Mark & Co. This is a lot of months for paying users to wait for meaningful info. It gives the impression Vimeo doesn't care and is NOT working on the problem. Why can't you do what youtube has been doing for quite some time? The people who pay your salaries want to know.

Jon Lapham

Jon Lapham Plus

Wow, this thread is very depressing. I just bought a Toshiba Thrive (android 3.2) and you all know how well I'm viewing my embedded Vimeo videos.

What really sucks is that this is the second time I've seen this (lack of response from a video hosting service). A few years ago I was a paying client for Motionbox, and at one point they started not responding to messages, and then went out of business a few months later. Seems like the same thing here.

I was actually excited to become a Plus member and pay (what seems to me) a lot of money for the privilege. My reasoning being that since I'm paying (and others) a lot of money, they won't go out of business.

Oh well.

I would like to respond to the "android has a lot of hardware to keep up with" comments from the Vimeo people. This may be true, but how is it that SO MANY OTHER SITES don't seem to have any trouble with all the android hardware? Geesh, do whatever they are doing!

Stacey Jenkins

Stacey Jenkins Plus

I have a plus account, updated my global settings to create mobile versions of my videos, and still no one can view my videos on their iphones. I work remotely and my clients and frustrated and I'm embarrassed. Any advice to tweak my videos or settings would be really helpful. thx!

might it be accurate to say that Vimeo doesn't WANT it to work on mobile, because they don't have the bandwidth to support that demand?

WildAcre Productions

WildAcre Productions

As of one hour ago, Vimeo content is playing on my Toshiba Thrive .. my Christmas present from Vimeo? Thanks!

Mark

Mark Staff

Wow, that's great to hear! We didn't make any changes on our end.

Mark

Mark Staff

We're working on restoring full Android support.

Greg Clark

Greg Clark Plus

It is obvious from these posts that Vimeo will not be releasing an App for the Android very soon. Vimeo has dropped the ball and I will be looking for an alternative to my Vimeo Plus account.

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Greg, I'm sorry, we cannot comment on definite timelines for product releases. Rest assured that the Android app will be released in the near future and it's a product we're all very excited for.

Carlos Coleman

Carlos Coleman

What about a app for the BlackBerry? Videos worked before, did Vimeo change within the last three months?

Mark

Mark Staff

Maybe a Blackberry app in the future, but no plans for one right now.

Kon Soulianidis

Kon Soulianidis

Hi,
Another me too post but I did notice the occassional video working so I wanted to ask you to take a look and identify what is different. Maybe once understanding the differences, we could figure out a workaround that could be applied?

Firstly I have Android 2.3 and the latest Adobe flash plugin. Using Opera, Dolphin and the inbuilt Internet browser all come up with the same message that the browser doesn't support H264 vids or upgrade to the latest flash player which is a little nonsense. The site I'm trying to view is using the universal player code.

Interesting, the Vimeo staff blog page, most of the videos dont work on Android. But I did notice that one post, Memories Revisited (vimeo.com/blog:465) had one broken video (the mustache video) followed by one working video (the tapdancing video).

The code used to embed the vids are almost identical - the working one has an &color=fffff in its src url, otherwise the embedding code is the same:

Another great example is Casey Neistat's sweet little vignette about his 92 year-old tap dancing grandmother:

The only other difference I noticed was that the working video had its like and share buttons missing versus the broken one, which when I'm looking at it on my PC, I can see the like and share there. Sadly that difference is hypothesis is broken, the next video in that same post works fine on Android and has like and share buttons too

So I was wondering if there was any difference on vimeo's end. Parameters in video number 9876398 which is broken on android vs 31442979 & 13281807 which work fine? Then hopefully, I can do the same for the videos on the site I'm trying to get to work. (URL attached)

Can Vimeo please comment on the different vids on the staff blog page and explain why some work and some dont so that we can apply the same workaround also

Thanks and Regards, Kon

Link: nsquaredstudio.com.au/page2.html

Clase Premier

Clase Premier Plus

Hello,
I can see Vimeo videos on Android devices, but I can't see mine. How should I save/export them?

thank you

N S

N S

Not working on Galaxy S2 here either (Android 2.3.3 with Flash Player 11.1 installed).

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hi Neil, you must be a Plus member to have mobile versions of your video made. Otherwise, they may not play properly on mobile devices:

vimeo.com/faq#mobile

Riley Hooper

Riley Hooper Staff

Hi there,

The videos on your site played just fine for me. Try upgrading to the most recent version of Flash, as you're currently running an out of date version.

J and J Digital Media

J and J Digital Media Plus

hey mark would you mind going to my website to see if those videos play for you? still not working for me unless I refresh the page. I hope upgraded to tbe most current version of flash

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hello, your embedded videos played fine for me too. Can you also try updating your Firefox to the current version? That should help.

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Hi - just on the off chance is there any update on when Android devices might be supported? Will you have it sorted soon?

Thanks for letting me know...

Mark

Mark Staff

We're working on it! No ETA at the moment.

dming sheng

dming sheng

hey!!
If i become plus member,
my lastest embedded videos can play on
mobile phone? for Android/iOS ??

Mark

Mark Staff

They should play on iOS and some versions of Android.

Luke Swanson

Luke Swanson

Hi, I mentioned this earlier in the thread, and am just curious if it is at all possible. Can the old vimeo mobile site (from before the major changes that broke compatiability with so many mobile devices) be put back up, perhaps as an alternate to the current mobile site? That way, those of us who can not view videos on the current site could use the old one while we wait for compatiability to be restored, and everyone else can still take advantage of the updated version. Seems to me that everyone would win, except for the servers that have to host another website, I suppose.

Mark

Mark Staff

Sorry, but we're not going to be re-instating the old version of anything. We're still working on fixing this - thanks for your patience.

Matt Ornstein

Matt Ornstein

Hey Mark,
I was wondering if my issue could be at all related to this thread. My current demo reel was uploaded about a year ago, and i have since then replaced the video file several times. I noticed last night that on my iphone4 its playing the original old file that i uploaded. Is this a bug or part of the new vimeo plus policy? If it is part of the new policy can i disable the mobile version?

Update: I also noticed that videos I have uploaded in the last 30 days are viewable on my iphone, so it would seem it's not a "plus" policy change issue?

Link: vimeo.com/22630780

Mark

Mark Staff

Basic members no longer get mobile versions of their videos, so it's the old one that's playing, back when your original was converted.

Matt Ornstein

Matt Ornstein

Is it possible to flat out disable/delete the mobile version?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi Matt, unfortunately you are unable to disable or delete a mobile version of your video.

Matt Ornstein

Matt Ornstein

If I upgrade to plus will I be able to generate a new mobile version without replacing the video file already uploaded?

Mark

Mark Staff

Yes, if you create a new mobile version it should make it from whatever the most recent original version is.

Matt Ornstein

Matt Ornstein

Cool, I'll be upgrading then. Thanks for the assistance, you guys have been catching a lot of flack on this thread of people wanting everything for free. The year long subscription is a bargain for the professional quality product you all provide.... so thanks.

Mark

Mark Staff

Cheers, Matt! If you have any trouble getting the new version converted let us know.

Auriga Productions Ltd.

Auriga Productions Ltd. PRO

What's the delay before I can see my videos once I've enabled Mobile versions on my plus account?
I still get a Get Adobe Flash error message. (And, yes, I do have the latest flash player installed on my device)

Link: picsoul.com/montauk

Mark

Mark Staff

It's currently in line waiting for conversion and should be available shortly.

Auriga Productions Ltd.

Is it still converting? Do I have a way to tell when this is done? Still can't see my videos.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, it is still pending. It should be up shortly.

Auriga Productions Ltd.

Actually I just checked anpother website I worked on a while back that USE to work just fine. What are you guys doing? Do I have to go and tell all my clients to get out of Vimeo? I worled hard to get people out of Youtube and into Vimeo because I sold them the idea that they would get better service.

Link: johnpaulgeorgeringo.ca/video.php

Superslick

Superslick

I've just suscribed a plus membership and I've got the same problem. Please, release a fix :)

TAG.VU

TAG.VU

Ok, I want to go Pro later this month to upload about 70 movies somewehere in February. All of these will be need to be accessed by mobile devices. Reading this thread has made me quite nervous of actually getting these video's to work on Vimeo (on mobile).
Can someone please confirm that all of this is now working on iOS, Android & WP7?
I tested one movie a couple of days ago on wp7 and it worked a couple of times but now it will not start anymore (how weird is that?).

MapleLoft

MapleLoft PRO

still no update on this!? how can any pro use vimeo when andriod cannot view videos? You are forcing us to move to another service provider.

The strange thing for me...

I can play the mobile vids on WIFI, but not on 4G/3G.
But if login to the non-mobile Vimeo site, i can play the full-res movies on 4G/3G.

In other words, I'm able to play the chunkier files on a 4G connection but not the mobile files.

Hopefully this helps in the troubleshooting...

Mark

Mark Staff

Thanks for the information, we'll continue looking into this.

CrossRoad Church

CrossRoad Church PRO

HI,

I have an HTC Evo and an iPhone 4S. I have the PLUS account as well.

My videos work on the iPhone 4s but NOT on my HTC Evo. I have clicked the appropriate settings to have mobile conversions, etc.

Is this something that is just me or is there an ETA?

Thanks so much!

Liz

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi Liz, do you know what version of Android is installed on your HTC device?

Spa Pool Patio Inc.

Spa Pool Patio Inc. PRO

Wow, I'm feeling pretty dumb right now. I just convinced the boss to open a Vimeo Pro account to host a series of videos embedded in multiple sites. Just found out about this Android problem. (The boss showed me with his own phone.) I'm going to have to look into the possibility of canceling our account. This is just not good. I think there should be a huge disclaimer added to the Vimeo Pro site letting you know it doesn't work for everyone. I spent hours getting videos ready and embedding them, etc. All for nothing it seems.

I also may have to back off my own personal Plus account as well. I don't want to move to YouTube but the bottom line is if the videos don't play for all (embedded videos) it's just not gonna fly. I'm really disappointed because I love everything else about Vimeo. But this is a deal-breaker.

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Any update on when embedded videos might play on Android phones? Can't seem to read the next page of this thread, so unable to see if there's any news.

Thanks in advance.

John Stanowski

John Stanowski Plus

I just got a Vimeo Pro account for work last week. Is it possible to cancel this and get a refund? I played Vimeo up to be the answer to all our problems and now I find out embedded videos won't play on some Android devices. If I use the old embed code, they do, but then they don't play on iOS. Bottom line is this just doesn't work. Would I be able to cancel and get a refund for the boss? Especially since there was no apparent warning the service didn't work everywhere. We all know about the Mobile Version switch, but I don't remember seeing any disclaimers on the Vimeo Pro page about the problems. Guess it's back to the Flash/Javascript/HTML5 workarounds again for us. Thanks.

Mark

Mark Staff

You can email support(at)vimeo(dot)com for a refund. Sorry about that, John.

Spa Pool Patio Inc.

Spa Pool Patio Inc. PRO

Sorry, not getting rid of us just yet. I did some investigating and redid some videos using only square pixels, etc. and I have them working on both iOS and at least the one Android device we have in the office and everything is working okay now. I suspect some of my problems were caused by me not prepping the videos for Vimeo properly.

Freditor

Freditor Plus

RE: vimeo.com/28909359

Yes, I've already posted this elsewhere in Vimeo forums, but with no response/solution. So I'm hoping I'll have better luck here.

Playback of this video (and strangely ONLY this video) on Vimeo mobile or iPhone app seems to remove VO track; only music track is audible. As with all of my other videos, it was cut on FCP 7 and exported H.264 with AAC audio 44.1 KHZ, as per Vimeo specs. Desktop version plays fine thru Vimeo.com.
I've re-uploaded this video several times over the last 5 months and problem persists. This problem seems to pop up on the forum now and then, but never with any solution. What gives?

problem evident on iphone 4/iOS5 + iPhone 3/iOS 4

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Can you please let me know if there's any news on when we can expect embedded videos to play on Android phones? Many thanks

Mark

Mark Staff

No news yet, we're still working on this - sorry for the delay!

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Thanks for letting me know. Appreciate you've got other stuff on - looking forward to it working...

Alfonso C. Betancort

Alfonso C. Betancort

Playing Vimeo not working on iPad 2 3G 64 GB Firm 5.0.1 neither over Wifi 10mbits nor over 3G; Man, you should start worrying... Most of the net surfing is moving fast to Tables and Smart phones, if you are unnable to support them, your content producers, that want an audience, will move out even faster elsewhere the can reach max. potential audience. And you tell me what's a content provider without content? The Internet is a fast economy yesterday you were up there at the top of the hill but if you don't pay atention to detail toomorrow you will be the next do.com to go bust. I have given up all together trying to open (thus) linking Vimeo hosted videos in my social networks... Although I have a MacPro, MacbookPro, MacBookAir and Mac Mini... To do 99% of my iSurfing I use my iPad, and sorry Vimeo you are not about to change that any time soon. Sorry Vimeo producers... Your videos are mostly top quality, but you better find other ways of delivering them to you audience, cause I think I'm not alone.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hi Alfonso, would you like us to help you out or is this just a comment?

Philip Green

Philip Green

I'm having to use a YouTube embed to be confident any browser can view my showreel on my home page. But I would rush back to Vimeo in an instant if they could resolve this Android problem. Unlike YouTube, Vimeo lets me choose precisely the video's thumbnail which best suits the content. And when the video ends it just looks so much more professional with a shrunken view of the thumbnail than what YouTube displays. So I hope you fix the problem soon.

Sam Morrill

Sam Morrill Staff

Hi, can you link us to the video(s) you're referring to on Vimeo?

Are they embedded or on the Vimeo site itself?

Philip Green

Philip Green

I first used the embed code from my showreel held on your site - vimeo.com/37302169 - on my homepage. It looked great in Firefox on my iMac. But my Android phone didn't have the Flash player. So I've had to use an embed of the video hosted on YouTube to be sure it can be played.

Shortfuse

Shortfuse Plus

So.. does making mobile versions fix anything or not?

Our new website is full of embeded videos from vimeo, and it's a huge problem that no one with Android can see it properly.

Mark

Mark Staff

We're working on these Android issues. Sorry about that

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Hi Mark. Is there really no way of giving us even a vague indication as to how long it will be before the Android problem is sorted out? If I'm having to tell a client this is a temporary problem it would really help to know when it might be resolved. Are you getting close? Please give us some information - a week, a month, a year? Thanks again for your time.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi, can you tell me specifically what issues you are finding and on what devices?

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Hi Ian - thanks for the reply. I have my videos embedded on my website and they don't play on my Samsung Galaxy S2 Android phone (pretty mainstream and up to date phone). I have an intro video in the header that kind of works ok, but others don't play easily and aspect ratio is off. Also impossible to "rewind" back to the very beginning of the videos to watch again. It's a big obstacle because I'm trying to promote the use of QR codes to real estate agents. All I want to know is how long it will take for you guys to get it working... This thread goes back a really long time. Appreciate any info you can provide.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Okay, thanks. I'll pass this along to our Android developers. Essentially, what the link below means is using our third party link (vimeo.com/help/faq/pro#third_party_player) and a third party player to play your video on your site without using our iFrame embed code.

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Hi Ian. While I'm waiting for your reply thought I might ask you about a workaround another member seems to propose. I'm not a programmer and don't understand the solution they're proposing (see link). Can you "translate" and let me know if this does actually work - would embeds also play as per normal on my site?

Once you've solved the Android problem might this altered embed code then cause other problems?

If this is a temporary solution to the problem and you can clarify how to go about it, it would be a great help. If it's not and you're nearly there with a permanent fix even better. Thanks

Link: vimeo.com/forums/topic:48765#comment_6650367

Tommy Penner

Tommy Penner Staff

Hi there, the solution given in that thread may work -- basically instead of using our player software to deliver the file, you'll be using the player built into Android to playback the file instead.

Give that a shot and let us know how it works out for you!

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Hi Tommy - appreciate the reply. Wouldn't know how to do that...

- Can you give a concrete example of how the embed code would need to be altered to get it to work?

- Are you close to finding a solution?

Thanks again.

Preston Thomas

Preston Thomas Plus

Do I need a PRO account just to serve Android browsers? I've been viewing one of my favorite clips by Spy Films (PRO account) vimeo.com/9078364, which plays just fine on my HTC Hero 'droid browser.

I've included the link to my video. Please advise.
Thanks.

Link: vimeo.com/38295760

Preston Thomas

Preston Thomas Plus

That does not work, those options were already checked. Still getting "This video won't work on this device..."

Mark

Mark Staff

Try it now - it looks like you got a mobile version created 6 hours ago.

Preston Thomas

Preston Thomas Plus

Yes! I guess it took some time, though I got no indication it was happening.

Thank you.

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

Sorry guys - at the risk of sounding like a broken record could you please give some indication as to how long it might be before embedded videos play on Android?

Not asking for a specific date... A month or two? Some time in 2012? Thanks.

djfunkyt

djfunkyt Plus

Yes, I totally feel that android playback issues is the only thing holding me back from using Vimeo as my platform for music and video promotion. Hope you guys get it running stable soon, as many users are really frustrated about this long running issue... Keep it going, Vimeo!

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

I don't think I'm being unreasonable by asking for a reply to this question, given that you are still advertising mobile compatibility as a feature of the product I've bought from you...

How long, roughly, before you'll have embeds working on Android devices? By the end of 2012 or some time before? Thanks

Mark

Mark Staff

We have no ETA. I apologize for the inconvenience.

ZV Media

ZV Media PRO

I find it amazing that you're not even prepared to commit to getting it sorted out over the next 9 months - and the thread is already 4 months old... This is not a feature request - it's a feature you already claim to provide!

javijgl

javijgl

Same as ZV Media... We are waiting 4 months ago...
My client is dissapointed... and we can do nothing

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.