Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

We don't have plans to implement this. We tend not to add features to the player that aren't crucial to the majority of our community.

We are currently focused on making core functions of our player like buffer speed, quality, sharing, etc better.

***PRO members can use a third party player that supports this.***

Stas Fomin

Stas Fomin Plus

Hello all.

I request possibility of changing playback speed.
It is possible in all modern offline players, as VLC/MPC, and even online YouTube.

Why? A lot of Vimeo videos are educational: lectures, talks, conferences.
A lot of them are useful but boring.

But increasing playback speed to 130%-150% makes them dynamic enought and save viewers time.

Slowing video to 90%-80%-70% is also very useful.
For example for international users trying to understand fast speaking English speaker.

It must be easy to implement, because of Vimeo do not use streaming, only progressive downloading, so only player must be changed (not server part).

Sincerely, Stas Fomin

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

To be frank, it's not something we had considered and in general we tend not to add on features to our player unless we believe it's crucial to majority of our users but we will try to keep an open mind. Can you point us to the youtube example so we can take a look at it?

readingtc

readingtc Plus

Why don't you add this feature only for PLUS or PRO members? That would be something special only Vimeo has! I am considering to join as PRO membership for my business (education service) and if this feature is possible, many potential customers like me would love and definitely join paid membership. Seriously!!!!!!

Stas Fomin

Stas Fomin Plus

Of course, majority of users did not ask for that, because they never tried this (most of them use standard Windows Media Player).

* But this will be a real killer feature.

* Vimeo needs this more (than any other ***tube) because of tons of educational content.

* Of course, it possible to live without it. For example I was used to download such videos and play it with VLC. But why not?

-----

YouTube implemented this in HTML5 mode youtube.com/html5, right now it seems they disable it, but it looked like here labnol.org/internet/youtube-playback-speed/18711/ (screenshot).

Jesse Thompson

Jesse Thompson

I agree. I use playback speed with all the educational videos that I watch - so much so that I can't bare going back to the regular "slow" speed. I think this feature is important and would love to see it implemented.

Rob W

Rob W

I also would like to put a vote in for this feature. I find it invaluable in the YT HTML5 player. Back when I was in college, they sold add ons to make RealPlayer do this, and it was a good idea then, and having it on a better video platform now would be amazing!

Steve Souza

Steve Souza

I agree I would love to see this feature! Right now I am listening to about 40 hours worth of lectures and training materials. Often listeners can take data in faster than speakers can say it. I have found I can play at about 1.5 speed and easily be able to keep up. If you had the feature where I could play the videos back at 1.5 speed then I could save about 14 hours of my life and watch them all with no loss in understanding in 26 hours. That seems like a killer feature to me!

The Ipod allows you to run things a 1/2, full, or double speed. The way they implemented it is pretty useless though as 2x is too fast to understand (although ok as a form of fast forward). 1/2x is to slow to be useful. It is best if you have a conitinuous cabability where the user can select their own speed. For example one lecturer may be quite fast and wouldn't be understandable at 1.5 speed.

As steve jobs said when he wanted the Mac team to increase boot times. "Millions of people will be using our computers. Think of how much time we can save them dor doing other things if we can make boot time faster". Well you have the opportunity to do the same for all your users. To me this is a killer feature that the community doesn't know they need yet, but would love. With just me alone you can give me back 14 hours of my life!

Another great feature would be be a 30 second rewind. Handy for when you missed something and want to hear it again.

Steve Souza

Steve Souza

I suspect there is not a noticeable difference when the video is sped up 5 or 10%, however that would save about 5 minutes of a users time in an hours worth of watching. To so easily increase all of your users productivity without affecting their experience is a great way to show that you have their interests at heart and are being an innovator in the video space. This is such a powerful feature I am shocked that it isn't already standard and expect it will be one day. I would love to have this on my tv too!

Sergey Kudryashov

Sergey Kudryashov

This will be a nice feature for all boring, but useful content such as presentations, classes and other edu staff.

David Hobson

David Hobson

I'd completely agree that it would be highly beneficial. I've seen the features requested/searched for on plenty of boards, adn there's a few premium services that provide it. Given HTML5, it should be a pretty simple feature to implement.

Marius Giurgi

Marius Giurgi

I watch a lot of tutorials which typically are 1hr long.. so watching them at double speed would save me a LOT of time. Faster playback speed is a feature that i would REALLY REALLY like to see in the vimeo player.

pbowers

pbowers

This would be a *very* useful feature for me, for tutorials, lectures, sermons, etc. I simply assumed it would be available but while I was searching eventually stumbled across this page where I realized the feature doesn't yet exist on vimeo...

danielle du toit

danielle du toit

I'm in!!! Please add this feature. Its really frustrating to watch stuff in 'slow mow' when you're doing research and have to watch as much as possible as quickly as possible!

david liu

david liu Plus

I agree. I have tango instructional material, and slow-mo would help some of my viewers.

While we're at it, the ability to loop from A to B would also be awesome ;) (Within a video)

readingtc

readingtc Plus

Please add this feature! That would be something special only Vimeo has.. or at least why don't you add this feature only for PLUS or PRO members?

Big Ben

Big Ben

I agree that this would be extremely useful for tutorials and such.

Randy Janney

Randy Janney

I agree! Video tutorials are painfully slow at normal speed. Lynda.com lets you play faster, but the pitch goes up, which is a bit annoying. Instacast on the iPhone, a podcast app, lets you play at 1.5 speed without changing the pitch. I guess they just skip every 3rd frame.

Vimeo is great! Adding the ability to play faster would be a great additional feature.
Keep up the good work.

maxal

maxal

This would be very useful feature for tech videos. Similar functionality is already available for Udacity and Coursera and it would be great to have it on Vimeo. Thank you.

Lana123

Lana123

Can we change the speed yet?

Chris Brasel

Chris Brasel

I'm a university professor that uses video lecture. This is THE critical feature I'm shopping around for.

Chris Brasel

Chris Brasel

BTW if you set youtube to use the HTML5 player you can playback at faster speeds. Unfortunately, the audio quality is poor. This is definitely an opportunity for Vimeo to do some better than the big guy on the big guy on the block.

Matt V.

Matt V.

I just started taking a class on Coursera last night and was happy to see that they have speed adjustment built in to their video player. Once you start using it for learning new material, it's hard to go without it.

Danny Babiy

Danny Babiy

For what it's worth, if you wanted to speed up or slow down playback on iPhone or iPad directly from websites, you can use Swift Player app. On iPhone, vimeo streams video which kills the ability, but a workaround is to simply visit the desktop version of the website and it will work. The iPad version of the site works fine as well.

Link: tapparatus.com/swift

Alura

Alura PRO

+1 for the feature. training material becomes much more effective if the user is capable of making a 50%-200% change in the speed. coursera.org supports it and it saves a lot of time. what do we need to do to make it more relevant for vimeo to implement it?

kioopi

kioopi

Truly useful feature. I find myself often not watching videos of conference talks or similar when i can not speed up the replay.

Coursera.org has a fantastic implementation of that, they do something to avoid the high pitched tone of the voices in faster speeds.

Please, do this.

Sam Joseph

Sam Joseph

please please please please please please add this - absolutely essential feature. youtube now has it via the html5 beta - totally rocks - everytime I use it I am like yes, awesome. every time I try to watch something on vimeo I am like, ah, well looks nice but can't speed it up, such a pain ...

이상민

이상민

Yes we truly need this feature, please.
I'm South Korean and every Korean online education service has speed adjustment.
It's very effective for people who learn something on the web.
1. it saves time for learners.
2. You know, people who watch a lecture video on the web usually watch it many times, not once, because they repeat it until they fully understand the lecture. To do this job effectively, change playback speed is a must.
3. many lecture videos are boring.
4. it will be a very very fancy feature for Asians(Koreans and Chinese can't stand slow, boring videos.)
5. videos for education are played repeatedly compared with common videos. vimeo pro users like me(who use PRO for education business) are ready to pay more for this!!

It will be a great chance both for vimeo and pro users.
If vimeo support this feature, it will create much more business use(especially education)

이상민

이상민

The problem is..
my team want to launch an online education service by using vimeo pro
but vimeo doesn't have speed adjustment so we are hestitating to use PRO.
so please it's an essential one and will be a killer feature for business use.

Entero Corporation

Entero Corporation PRO

Hi, I'm also interested and found that Youtube.com can do this as outlined in the instructions I copy pasted from below.

Step 1. Go to youtube.com/html5 and click "Join the HTML5 Trial". The checkmark should turn green, meaning you've joined.

Step 2. Go to a Udacity lecture. Click the gear icon in the bottom right icons of the video. This will open up the quality and speed settings.

Step 3. Click on the speed setting you want. The video will update the speed in realtime.

Richard Minerich

Richard Minerich Plus

As someone who runs two user groups and posts the videos up on here, we get a lot of requests for this. It seems that speedup is now an essential feature for a video streaming site.

Kathryn Fulton

Kathryn Fulton PRO

Yes please, yes please!!! I am a happy Vimeo customer for 2 years now. I run a highly successful online continuing education website for music therapists at musictherapyed.com, and my customers would LOVE this feature sooooo much!

Whenever I take an online video course, I always zoom through the vids at 1.5X or 2X the normal speed. That way, instead of skipping over and ahead, the learner doesn't miss a BEAT!

This would make my subscription SUPER duper special, and keep me on as an incredibly happy customer.

I would even pay more for this added value!!!! (please oh please oh please.....) =) Kat

Link: musictherapyed.com/courses

Alex Seiden

Alex Seiden

A huge +1 for this!
It really helps when watching any kind of lecture.

sean kenny

sean kenny

View the video in HTML5 format.

Open the browser dev tools (F12 on windows).

document.getElement('video').playbackRate = 1.5;

Working nicely for me on Chrome.

Blair Adams

Blair Adams

Finny the feature I'm looking for is at the top of the page. Add me to the list. I need this! Thanks.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey folks,

We don't have plans to implement this. We tend not to add features to the player that aren't crucial to the majority of our community.

We are currently focused on making core functions of our player like buffer speed, quality, sharing, etc better.

ipsphoto

ipsphoto PRO

Seems like a significant portion of your community is interested in this...
+1 from me too...

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We're definitely not discounting the feedback collected here, but the player is a very important part of our site, and this doesn't seem to be a super critical feature. If videos need to be sped up or slowed down, I'd suggest downloading them and using your own player to do so, or uploading them at the speed you need.

Chris Herold

Chris Herold PRO

Many talks where this would be implemented (educational teaching material) are protected from download, so it is not possible to modify speed off-line. I view speed control as a VERY IMPORTANT feature to have on the site.

ftplectures LLC

ftplectures LLC PRO

I want this feature for my medical education lectures. All my customers are requesting this feature. Vzaar has this feature on their video players and I would love to see it with vimeo too.

Link: vzaar.com/

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Can I ask why your viewers see this as necessary? You can skip to any part of the video on Vimeo by clicking on the appropriate point in the play bar.

Andrew Miller

Andrew Miller

Matt, the average person speaks at 125-150 words per minute, but can comprehend speech up to approximately 500 words per minute. If the video we're watching is just for informational purposes, we can learn the info at a much faster rate than someone can talk! Speeding up video can save us hours of time if we're going through a tutorial series, of watching lectures. It would be great if you implemented this!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Andrew,

I hear you on that, but again it seems like something you can accomplish just the same by skipping ahead. In general only the most crucial features make it into our player to keep it lean, so while your use case is valid I don't think this is something the majority of our community needs.

This may change over time but for now there aren't any plans to change playback speed in the player.

Code Coalition

Code Coalition

You can't skip ahead Matt. I don't think you're hearing us.

The e-learning education marketplace is huge, including k-12 it poised to reach 1.4 billion students globally, worth about 91 billion dollars. That's a lot of views and you're alienating an entire community from integrating your services by suggesting that adjusting playback speed is not crucial. It's crucial, students who are self-learning do not tend to skip ahead but they do use 1.5x or 2.0x speed a lot.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

The player does allow you to skip ahead by simply clicking the place in the playbar you'd like to head to. For now I'm afraid that's what we're offering.

Code Coalition

Code Coalition

Thanks for the response. I mean't that skipping ahead is not a solution. We cannot tell our students to simply skip ahead.

Flowplayer seems to be the ideal solution for hosting here but playing in another container.

ftplectures LLC

ftplectures LLC PRO

Matt Schwarz: I am a physician and a business owner. I value the input of my customers as I am providing services to them. It is my responsibility to be open minded and listen to the demands of the customers and meet them as needed. I will highly implore you that you place serious considerations to the demands of your pro members who are paying a hundreds to thousands of dollars to host videos on your website. There is a genuine reason for this request and It does not take rocket science to develop a separate player option for pro members to use on their site. You can design just a separate player with fast forward options just for pro members only and they can use it as they need. You just launched an application with hundreds of editing options for videos, why cant we get a simple player with fast forward and increase speed. Is there anyone else in your company I can speak to about this issue, because it appears you are the only one responding to the issue here.

Chris Herold

Chris Herold PRO

Matt, if you are listening to an educational talk you cannot effectively "skip" through the talk because you don't know what you're looking for. Speed control would be a very welcome aspect of the player. Vimeo is a great resource, but as I have only educational material posted I will be keeping my eyes open for a provider who offers speed control capability. I am willing to pay extra for it.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Chris,

As a PRO member we give you static URLs to your videos so you can use a third party player that offers speed control. I hope that helps!

Chris Herold

Chris Herold PRO

Does that mean each person who views the videos has to download a third party player onto their device? If that is the case, it is not really a great solution for a provider (i.e. me).

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Chris,

It just means we let you use another player, how that player works is up to the developer. Viewers wouldn't typically have to "download" a player, it's normally something you host.

Eduardo Valle

Eduardo Valle

The ability to playback and speed up is critical for a quality experience nowadays in training videos. All MOOC frameworks (Stanford, Coursera, EdX) offer it. Different students simply have different preferences in term of speech pace, and that feature now is considered a *basic* need, not some desirable extra for training/educational videos.

Links: coursera.org/ , edx.org/

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Thanks for the feedback. We understand that some users see this as necessary, but right now we don't have plans to implement it.

To reiterate what I said above: In general only the most crucial features make it into our player to keep it lean, so while your use case is valid I don't think this is something the majority of our community needs.

If you'd like, PRO members can get static URLs for their videos, which allow you to use a third party player that will support this feature.

Nicolas Navarro-Guerrero

Nicolas Navarro-Guerrero

Hi,

that makes perfect sense, but i have to ask how do you quantify what is crucial for your community?

Could it be possible to add a features request and bug report section with a user voting system, that why you could decide better what to include, delay or leave out?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Nicolas,

We compare all user feedback to our own vision of how Vimeo should operate and what it sound become. Right now we don't see this as being terribly necessary and the frequency in which something is suggested won't necessarily change our opinion on the matter.

Nicolas Navarro-Guerrero

Nicolas Navarro-Guerrero

Hi Matt,

thank you for your answer. I understand, however I found your answer somehow inconsistent to the recurrent answer/idea given/suggested at least in this topic, i.e. "it's not something we had considered and in general we tend not to add on features to our player unless we believe it's crucial to majority of our users but we will try to keep an open mind."

Anyway, this particular feature may not be aligned to your current plans for vimeo but I hope you can actually keep an open mind and be more responsive to your community.

To finalise my intervention I want to thank and acknowledge the good work and I wish you could continue developing a competitive platform.

Andrew Wendelborn

Andrew Wendelborn

I'll add my voice to the chorus seeking easy to use variable speed playback. It is essential for educational videos intended for use as serious study materials. Youtube has it with HTML5 playback.

I'm looking at Vimeo as a possibility for publishing class videos. I like the interface, it is easy to use, and fast to upload. No variable speed playback is a big minus. I looked for workarounds. One is to use VLC to play the stream. It works for youtube. It used to work for Vimeo -- there are web links about how to do it.

But it is no longer possible to play back Vimeo videos through VLC. WHY?

It is disappointing that Vimeo have no plans to implement variable speed playback, but I can sort of understand why.

Buit why set things up so that it is impossible to use an obvious and accepted workaround?

That I don't understand.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Andrew,

Vimeo videos are not allowed to be played outside our player unless you are a Vimeo PRO member. PRO members get static URLs that you can put into third party players that could allow for things like various speeds.

Andrew Wendelborn

Andrew Wendelborn

OK, now I understand how that works.
The subscription level we have in mind is Plus -- there is no commercial activity involved.
Is it feasible to have this facility at Plus level with a small surcharge on the monthly fee?

ftplectures LLC

ftplectures LLC PRO

Matt Schwarz: I am a physician and a business owner. I value the input of my customers as I am providing services to them. It is my responsibility to be open minded and listen to the demands of the customers and meet them as needed. I will highly implore you that you place serious considerations to the demands of your pro members who are paying a hundreds to thousands of dollars to host videos on your website. There is a genuine reason for this request and It does not take rocket science to develop a separate player option for pro members to use on their site. You can design just a separate player with fast forward options just for pro members only and they can use it as they need. You just launched an application with hundreds of editing options for videos, why cant we get a simple player with fast forward and increase speed. Is there anyone else in your company I can speak to about this issue, because it appears you are the only one responding to the issue here.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi there,

Very sorry, but as I mentioned our player maintains only the most needed functionality to keep it lean. This isn't something that the majority of our community seems to need, and while we don't deny your use case, building a separate player is probably not something we'll do.

As a PRO member you are free to use third party players with our system which are capable of this.

Zee Double-u

Zee Double-u Plus

Matt -- it's 2014. This IS a needed functionality. There is nothing fancy or extrenuous about this. This would have been a valid concern two years ago. Three years ago! it's so basic.

ftplectures LLC

ftplectures LLC PRO

Matt: I am really surprised about your response as you are suggesting 3rd party players to everyone in this forum and your recommended player does not have the increased play speed option.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

As I said I wasn't sure if it had that feature, just that it was a popular option among PRO members using third party players. We focus on Vimeo feedback and support in these forums and cannot speak all that much to other products.

GoSkills

GoSkills PRO

Dear Matt, as others have discussed, there is a huge and expanding market for this in the educational space. People can comprehend speech a lot faster than most speak, so it is good for viewers to be able to adjust the speed. This would be a great optional feature for YOUR player.

Pretty please?!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We're certainly not discounting it for the future, but there are no immediate plans.

Ingeonix

Ingeonix

This feature is mostly useful for presentations and educational videos. For example coursera.org has this feature in their video player (everyone I know including myself uses it with 1.5x speed). That saves a lot of time! And of course you cannot skip in that case as suggested above. Coming to watch a presentation video on Vimeo without this feature was very painful, almost like watching a slow motions video :)

Geoff Ruth

Geoff Ruth Plus

Another voice asking for variable speed playback, for educational videos. I have dozens of educational videos on Vimeo, and I actually am considering ditching the platform altogether and going to (plugs nose) YouTube because of this functionality. Dealing with an external player like VLC is not a viable option -- I value Vimeo because it is simple.

FWIW, I also teach classes to teachers on flipping lessons, and have always recommended that teachers use Vimeo Plus accounts to avoid the ads and suggested videos in YouTube. However, I am now far more lukewarm in my recommendation of Vimeo because of this missing feature.

Online education is growing at an exponential rate. I strongly encourage Vimeo to reconsider this decision to not include variable speed playback, as I (and many others above) think it's critical for video playback in online education.

David Foster

David Foster

+1. Essential for watching tech talks and presentations.

Damon Achey

Damon Achey

+1, I often skip Vimeo presentations and try to either use a downloader so I can watch them in vlc or just skip the video altogether if I'm too busy to do that.

Todd Houstein

Todd Houstein

+1, I prefer YouTube over Vimeo for this reason alone.

Firefly Lectures

Firefly Lectures PRO

Please add this feature. I have an educational website and it would be a big advantage for my students to be able to watch my lectures at 1.5x or 2x speed. My students are currently able to do this easily on YouTube.

Firefly Lectures

Firefly Lectures PRO

Watching educational content at 1.5x speed or greater is a must. As much as I'd hate to do it, I may have to migrate my videos to YouTube for this reason - it's that important.

Rob Winchester

Rob Winchester

+1. It's one of the only YouTube features that's superior to Vimeo. I use it all the time.

Michael Daitzman

Michael Daitzman

+1. Especially when watching lectures this is invaluable. I use it several times a day on youtube (html5 includes it)

Terri Ward

Terri Ward

I am extremely frustrated after watching almost 40 hours of lectures with no ability to increase the speed! There are sufficient posts here demonstrating interest to warrant adding this feature. I will not use Vimeo when given a choice until and unless this feature is added.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Terri,

You can always skip ahead in the video using the playbar.

Firefly Lectures

Firefly Lectures PRO

Matt, people who listen to lectures do not want to skip content - they want to listen to it faster. It is now a very common thing to ramp up the speed x1.5 or x2.0 for long university lectures. You can currently do this on podcasts and YouTube, and it is an awesome feature. I hope Vimeo will hear the crowd (this is a long page of requests for this feature) and consider adding modification to playback speed. Thanks!

Lori Walker

Lori Walker

+1.... I too, am one who prefers to speed up my lecture/training materials. Adding this feature would put in you in the the same field as the BIG DOGS!

Mark Hendricks

Mark Hendricks Plus

+1 Being able to slow down sports videos would help greatly.
Vimeo is about the only site that doesn't allow speed adjustment.
Why?
Maybe a better question is, Why Not? Is it that difficult to add this option?
And how many requests for this option is it going to take before Vimeo acknowledges the needs of it's paying members?

Mark Hendricks

Mark Hendricks Plus

Matt, you appear to be adamantly opposed to the ideas suggested by pages and pages of users.
Is there someone else at Vimeo, maybe at a higher level, who could respond to these requests?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

HI Mark,

Vimeo isn't apposed to this request, it's simply something we are not working on at the moment. This is mainly because our player is limited to only the most crucial features to keep it's design lean, and the majority of our community does not need this feature.

PRO members can use third party players that support speed control.

Mark Hendricks

Mark Hendricks Plus

"the majority of our community does not need this feature."
How do you know this? For each person who takes the time to request this option there are probably 50 other members who want the option but did not take the time.
And please answer my other question:
"Is there someone else at Vimeo, maybe at a higher level, who could respond to these requests.?"

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Mark,

Even if that is so, it's still not a large enough portion of our community to warrant this change with priority over the other things we're currently working on. Again, we're not against this, but there are other development projects ahead of this.

We're not leaving users with no recourse; you can still use a custom player as a PRO member if you really want speed control.

Also apologies, but our product team does monitor these forums as well, and our/my responses are inline with the greater direction of Vimeo.

Mark Hendricks

Mark Hendricks Plus

The new player appears much improved. Thank you.
But still no speed adjustments because you want a lean player and speed adjustments aren't that important to the majority of your users, but closed captioning and translated titles are? Really?

Everett

Everett

I think it's a great idea!

David L

David L

Could you at least add it to the javascript API? HTML5 already supports playbackRate so its basically just adding it to the API to change the attribute on the video. I'm a developer also and this would take like 20 minutes to do. Again the attribute already exists, all I need is a way to access it through an embedded video!
Like everyone else, we need it for education lectures where students want to speed up learning and helps skip past the "ums", "uhs", and pauses that comes with teachers lecturing.

Geoff Ruth

Geoff Ruth Plus

Matt,

A custom player doesn't address this issue when embedding an educational video into another website. (Plus most educational videos aren't going to be created under a pro account -- teachers don't have that sort of budget to throw around.)

I understand the desire to have a lean player: can you build it in as an option that is turned off by default (but can be turned on via settings or via a preset group of settings)?

I increasingly think that this is a mandatory function for a video player to be successful in the educational world.

- Geoff

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Geoff,

A custom player should be able to be embedded, but it does depend on what player the user chooses.

We'll certainly look into this feature as the player evolves, but we don't have any confirmed plans, and unfortunately you'll need Vimeo PRO at this time.

Greg Veres

Greg Veres

Matt, you still seems to be hanging on to this notion that what people are asking for here is the ability to jump around. That is not what people are asking for and doesn't solve the problem of feeding my brain at a faster pace than the lecturer can talk.

I watch everything at 1.5 to 2.0 time speed. Check out the Daily Show and Colbert Report at those speeds.

Anyway, whenever I find content I want to watch (tonight it was VersionOne's content), I am reaching out to them asking them to reconsider using vimeo. And to instead post their content with a video hosting provider with this feature.

I completely agree with Geoff Ruth. For anybody posting educational / instructional content, it needs to be played back at a faster than normal rate to be most useful and to be respectful of their consumer's time.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi Greg,

We certainly understand the request, but have no plans at the moment to implement it as the player features are kept very lean and this is not something the majority of our community would make use of.

Zee Double-u

Zee Double-u Plus

But they would make use of it. We all make use of it in other forums. Matt Schwarz -- Have you never, ever doubled your rewind, forward, or viewing speeds?

I find Vimeo's party line on this so odd . This is not about cluttering your technology with useless gizmos. This is so basic.

I just can't view another video on Vimeo without this option. And I can't hold out hope that Vimeo build a better product because the company's position is so intrasigent and, well, a bit smug.

User Interface Engineering

User Interface Engineering PRO

We will add to the long list of paying Vimeo customers requesting 2x playback as a feature. We use Vimeo PRO to host educational videos behind a paywall, and our customers are requesting the feature. They often say "Why not, even YouTube has it!" From our standpoint, the two biggest areas where YouTube offers a better experience is

1. Superior Captioning (something Vimeo fought against for years in these very forums—boggling how someone can argue *against* improving accessibility);

2. Playback speed. This helps people using videos for a educational purposes get through *long* videos (lectures et al) where scrubbing is *not* an option, because they need to consume *all* the info, but humans can absorb audible info much faster than humans speak. This is why every podcast app I know of has playback speed adjustment. Also, visually impaired people consume audio much faster than sighted persons. This could help your accessibility, too.

User Interface Engineering

User Interface Engineering PRO

There's a limit on how long my post can be, so I just wanted to add that we appreciate how generally excellent Vimeo is, and don't want to sound angry. We're generally satisfied. But this is a leading request of our customers, since all our videos are currently 90mins long.

Better resources and contacts for companies who have a for-pay Vimeo-hosted business models is our biggest request, though.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Thanks for your contributing your thoughts, and we're glad that your overall experience with Vimeo has been good.

Vimeo does not seek to be like its competition, nor do we shy away from ideas just because someone else is doing them. Your note about our captioning system – while your entitled to your opinion about its quality – is not entirely accurate. Vimeo never fought against captioning, but rather stated that it was something users could do without our help, and could therefore wait while we made some other improvements. We then implemented it after we reached a scale where many users who needed it could not do it themselves or knew how.

I realize that response probably sounds a bit harsh, but I want to be really clear about captioning as I don't believe it is closely related to the playback speed request.

In regards to playback speed: Right now we don't see this as an accessibility-related feature, nor one that the majority of our community would make use of. This view can change in the future, but for now we have other priorities that require our attention.

Healthy Visions

Healthy Visions

Hi Matt,

Just wanted to add my support to add variable playback-speed. I love your service, this is just a minor annoyance. I agree that the majority of your users wouldn't use it, maybe 5-10%

I'm just finishing up a class on Coursera. The speaker is very good, but talks very slowly. Playing it at real-time is just painful, he loses my attention.. However, playing it at 1.5x is fine. At that speed, he keeps my attention and I don't get bored.

About 1/2 way through, I thought to myself, "If I couldn't speed up this lecture, I'd have dropped this course." That's when I searched and found this thread.

Lecture or talk formats are probably a small percent of your userbase. But personally, I'm glad the coursera class is hosting their video on another platform that has variable playback. If they were hosting on Vimeo or another platform that didn't, I'd have not finished the course.

Duke Briscoe

Duke Briscoe

This is an important feature that many people will use if it is available and apparent to people (as it is when playing many Youtube videos). There are lots of long lectures that will not be listened to if it takes an hour as opposed to 40 minutes at a higher speed that is still easily understood. This feature cannot be that hard to implement.

The Keystone Flow

The Keystone Flow

Here are links to peer-reviewed psychology studies documenting the capability for our brains to interpret audio and video at higher speeds than normal speech/lecturing. Please read through the articles for related links, since the context will help you understand why people have been asking for this over the past 3 years.; accessible-devices.com/listening.html and scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=audio+playback+speed+learning&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C33

Link: scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=audio+playback+speed+learning&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C33

Firefly Lectures

Firefly Lectures PRO

Got this comment on YT from a video I have posted both on YouTube and Vimeo.

"These videos are so good! Thank you for posting... A note: I tried watching the videos on your [Vimeo] site, but the speed of the videos are fixed. I like to watch your videos at 2x speed. Maybe you can look into setting this up for your website."

As you can see, this is becoming a big issue that many people are requesting. Thank you for your consideration.

Eric Dick

Eric Dick

There was a really good reply to this topic in another thread. What I took from it is that the developers don't see what benefit variable speed playback gives to their customers so they are ignoring the multitude of requests. The support guy actually said its the same functionality as scrolling to an arbitrary place in a video.

Simply put the benefit is that there are long educational videos on your service in which people talk very slowly, therefore playing back at 1.5x speed lets us get through that content faster. Faster relieves the frustration of listening to a slow presenter as well as saving the viewer time.

My own organization AAPM posted over 1,200 half hour to 1 hour long videos of people giving presentations at a slow talking pace.

Zee Double-u

Zee Double-u Plus

"It's the same functionality as scrolling to an arbitrary place in a video." Really?? Vimeo said that? Do the people at Vimeo watch Vimeo? Or any video? I am so puzzled by this odd attitude at Vimeo.

Mike Barlow

Mike Barlow

It seems I watch educational lectures, talks, and conferences on a daily basis. This consumes much of my time. I will purposefully look for other website that provide variable playback speed. For educational purposes I will use Vimeo as a last resort.

If I was watching a movie, music video, or dancing cats, variable speed playback isn't necessary. But I'm watching videos that are educational such as: lectures, talks, and conferences.

Also, I'm a subscriber to Pluralsight.com, which provides online video training courses. They provide variable playback speed for their video player. This feature is extremely beneficial. If Pluralsight discontinued this feature I probably wouldn't be a subscriber of their service.

@Matt, please quit mentioning the ability to skip forwards and backwards. Everyone is aware of this feature and it's not adequate as a replacement for variable playback speed.

Laura Oxenfeld

Laura Oxenfeld

I will add my voice and say - PLEASE add a feature to change the playback speed! I started using Vimeo this January to record interviews for my thesis from my iPhone and iPad from the field. It's great because I can upload the videos in real time and keep them private and secure. Now I'm at the point where I need to breeze through the interviews again and being able to speed up the playback would make the process much more efficient. I've recommended Vimeo to several other researchers to help ease their data collection process - If you add a feature to change the playback speed I'll have another reason to spread the usefulness of Vimeo to my colleagues.

Laura Oxenfeld

Laura Oxenfeld

Also, I live with an individual who goes to one of the nation's top medical schools in the nation. In this school, the students are each given an iPad and have the option to attend face to face lectures, or to watch the lecture recordings on their own. A great majority of the students watch the lectures using the variable playback speed. They say doing so enables them to absorb a greater amount of information in a shorter amount of time. How great it would be to access a technology that an ivy league institution uses to give its students a competitive advantage on Vimeo!

jo lee

jo lee

I too prefer youtube or coursera for educational videos because they offer the 1.5x and 2x playback. It was a bit overwhelming at first, but now I LOVE it. In the worse real-time video watching scenarios, I feel like I'm slogging through a marsh with cotton in my ears trying to follow the topic.

dk-HAM

dk-HAM Plus

Adding my vote for variable speed option. Time is money and if you can save me half the viewing time on watching videos, that makes me happy to spend more money on my vimeo plus account! Boom! Earnings!

Firefly Lectures

Firefly Lectures PRO

+1 I would be willing to pay for this option -- it is that important to me.

user2823708

user2823708

Matt, with all due respect, playback speed IS a core function for those who watch instructional or news videos. Not to provide it seems very 1900s.

MyEducator

MyEducator PRO

Vimeo is the best video player, except for playback speed. This is a deal breaker if Vimeo won't support this. We will need to move to another service to host our videos.

Steve Levin

Steve Levin

Listening at 1.5X or 1.8X playback is truly essential. This is a deal breaker for both posting and watching.

Have you asked your customers, "Would you value the option of listening to accelerated playback of lectures and other educational videos, assuming you can still clearly understand what is being said?" I bet a large number will say, YES!

John Wetzel

John Wetzel Plus

Please Please Please add this feature as soon as possible. The inability to speed our videos up has become the #1 complaint we receive, just in the past few months. We are strongly considering moving to another service, but we really don't want to because everything else about Vimeo is so great, and we already moved once this year (Blip refugee). Seriously. This is a must have ASAP.

Coaching Actuaries

Coaching Actuaries PRO

We'd love to use this in our educational videos. It would be nice to know this is being reconsidered since the last time you spoke 4 months ago. Even if it's something that's coming 12 months from now that would be nice to know so we don't have to look elsewhere.

Gedragswetenschappen - UT

Gedragswetenschappen - UT PRO

Dear Matt,

My students have to view a lot of educational videos and we all don't have too much time. I cannot speed up all videos in advance, because the slower students would not understand enough. So I also would really appreciate such a feature.

Sometimes you offer to use a third party player. But that would undermine my security settings that video's can only be embedded on my own site, wouldn't it? (This is more than a rhetorical question.)

The rest of my questions is exactly in line with the last post of Coaching Actuaries 6 days ago. Because I cannot stop my searche for alternative providers until this feature is implemented or at least is planned to be implemented.

Thanks in advance for any reactions!

numan

numan

+1 for this feature. i love how i can speedup educational videos on youtube. huge time saver (and speeding up is not same as skipping ahead as someone suggested).

Adam Lancaster

Adam Lancaster

Yea would be great. Skipping ahead misses stuff, we want the information, just delivered faster.

Kirill Zaborsky

Kirill Zaborsky

it's a pity that vimeo still didn't add this feature

Anthony Filly

Anthony Filly

I am actually in the process of building a medical teaching website. I like everything about Vimeo and would love to use it and be happy to pay for a pro account, but I will actually have to go with youtube because this feature is soooo critical. It is incredibly annoying when I have to watch a medical lecture at normal speed. Similar to listening to books on audible... always use at least 1.5 speed. If you guys want to be a player in the lecture/teaching market, I'd highly recommend adding this. And no, I don't want to have to implement a third party player with pro that can do this... just want it to work natively

GardenBuzz

GardenBuzz PRO

Please, add speed controls!!! Watching educational videos in regular speed is a huge waste of time..

I *am* a Pro member thank you very much.. so, that should count for something.

Mike Vee

Mike Vee

+1. This is definitely a feature that the majority of users would enjoy if given the chance. Fast playback pleeeeeeease!!!!

Kevin Kirchner

Kevin Kirchner

On any vimeo page you can do this in Chrome:

1. Open Chrome and go to View > Developer > Javascript Console
2. Type the following and hit enter

document.getElementsByTagName('video')[0].playbackRate=2

Zee Double-u

Zee Double-u Plus

I would love to try this suggestion, but I'm not sure where you find View > Developer etc on Chrome. Where is it? thank you!

WCS Group

WCS Group Plus

Please add the double speed feature for pro members. We need this!

(For educational content!)

Zee Double-u

Zee Double-u Plus

Agree with everyone who wants a double-speed feature. I know that the lack of such a feature will limit my use of Vimeo. I wonder why the Vimeo developers don't have a better understanding of the variety of ways that people view the variety of videos. It just seems so basic and beyond the point of debate.

Double- and triple-speed rewind, forward, and playback are just basic to the viewing experience.

Attila Szigeti

Attila Szigeti

+1, even better, +infinite to speed controls
it's essential feature, especially when I'm watching educational content (course material, product demos...)

YT has speed controls, and it works great
not having this is a handicap

ccw

ccw

+1. Many users may not know about this feature in other players, I only discovered this a few months ago. Now I watch 95% of videos on YT or VLC at 1.5-2x with the exception of music. Please strongly consider adding this feature.

Misha Sakharoff

Misha Sakharoff Plus

This thread is now 2 years old and the answer from Vimeo is the same - WE don't think is good for us. What about all the people that keep asking for this feature?

Now I think about moving all my educational movies to YouTube - because of lack of adjustable speed...

And - NO, I'm not angry at all :-)

John Galeazzi

John Galeazzi Plus

I am really shocked that the ability to increase playback speed is not available. After trying to grit it through a lecture where the professor spoke at a snails pace I am going to offer to re-record all of his lectures so I can put them on YT!

Zack

Zack

Having the ability to increase the playback speed is so important to me that I will take the time to download the video and open it in QuickTime 7 or VLC just so I can accelerate it. Despite all the effort that I expend to do this, I still end up saving such a massive amount of time that my struggle is well worth it.

I understand that Vimeo is only for fine art film (which you would never intentionally speed up under any circumstances) not educational video, so that makes sense that this feature wouldn't be important. An enterprising individual might find a large market waiting for them were they to create a new product focused on beautiful video for learning and education.

Eve

Eve

I just registered for Vimeo for the SOLE PURPOSE of requesting this functionality be added in. I don't think it's realistic to assume that your user base doesn't care about this feature just because they're not bombarding you with requests. (Although I guess they are, if you read this thread.) The only reason I found this thread (and Vimeo's stance on this functionality) is because I have been searching for workarounds for the past twenty minutes, when I could have spent this time doing my schoolwork.

If Vimeo plans to just ignore the demand for the ability to change playback speed, I will be going out of my way to use other services at every possible opportunity. I will also be pushing for MyEducator and resources I actively use to drop Vimeo and switch to another video program.

Mark Rushworth

Mark Rushworth

Hi Matt,

I understand your concern about focussing on the features that you've determined are high priority to your community. However, a couple of things to consider:

1. the global e-learning market is set to grow 8% annually and be worth $51.5bn by 2016 (source below)
2. if you solely concentrate on your current community you are ignoring your potential community

By the looks of things, I too am going to have to opt for your principal competitor instead of a Pro account with Vimeo unless you can tell me that this feature (a seriously high priority for education content - as you can see from the above comments) is on the short-term roadmap.

Thanks,
Mark.

Link: docebo.com/landing/contactform/elearning-market-trends-and-forecast-2014-2016-docebo-report.pdf

Valentin Van Nhut

Valentin Van Nhut

Please add this feature, it is so important for the way we consume media. Now I listen to podcasts at 2x speed, watch youtube videos at 1.5x speed.

I follow online courses that are hosted on Vimeo and I want to be able to speed it up because now everyone watches Youtube educational videos faster. Our brain can understand 1.5x-3x faster than normal talking speed. Please add this feature, seriously.

Thank you Vimeo

Tuomas Hietanen

Tuomas Hietanen

Note to PRO members: please allow downloading of your educational/confrence/etc. videos from Vimeo, then the user can use VLC. Or use other providers like Youtube where 150% speed is possible.

I just collect a list-to-watch, then if 150% will be added I may someday watch those. Right now feels too time consuming.

Rob Young

Rob Young

Faster speeds would be VERY useful. As it is I'm using another free service because I really need this functionality.

Rob Young

Rob Young

The other reason I'm not able to use the service is down to the app - it doesn't seem possible to access privately streamed content through the vimeo app. Am I right or is there a way to view it? Many thanks.

Steven Brimer

Steven Brimer

I joined just so i can comment here. When companies are competing to be the top this or that, can vimeo really afford to turn a blind eye to all that has been said here? clearly people want this feature. the fact is that you are FAILING to answer the requests of your users. this is bad business practice. you are saying our request is not important ENOUGH. perhaps you have demonstrated that the developers are incapable of accomplishing this, therefore its not important enough. thank you for that valuable insight into the culture of vimeo.

Miles (Realogic)

Miles (Realogic) Plus

Another paying customer that would very much like this feature.

Even if Vimeo made the feature optional to the video publishers, it would be a reasonable compromise.

Anthony Filly

Anthony Filly

Am on cusp of deciding which video player to use for our new website... any word on where vimeo stands on this issue?

Medlinkedin

Medlinkedin PRO

I just spend two hours reading about this request from the past 3 years, Really!! 3 years, ?!
I am no business genus or anything, but what the F###! Matt, you my friend are not listening to your customers. I too am a physician and runs an online course teaching Medical Students.

I spend more time, editing videos and changing their speed on Final Cut, than I do making new videos for students.

Giving the funding and staff you have, this feature will take no longer than 24 hours to develop,

I can even develop this feature for you, just give me access to api and codes for you players, and also be willing to allow pro users to access it.

You are not looking Hot right now, Wake Up!

Link: medlinkedin.com

Jon Watkins

Jon Watkins

Please can you add this feature. It is invaluable when watching tutorials.

Anthony Filly

Anthony Filly

Just FYI... I'm actually cancelling a subscription with a website that uses vimeo to stream their stuff because this isn't an option... Too painful to watch

Marcus Robbins

Marcus Robbins

This feature is really important to me. Like many people I find it very difficult to concentrate on the material when the pace is too slow.

Brad Boetig

Brad Boetig PRO

Please listen to us and add this feature. I am loving Vimeo, its reliability, and all that it offers; but my students need this feature. It is really important for delivery of educational content. Please consider our requests. I will pay more for it if needed. Unfortunately, I might have to look into leaving Vimeo if I can find comparable service that offers this feature. It is really critical for us.

Digital Demeter

Digital Demeter PRO

+1 for this feature as well. Painful to review video footage in 1x speed.

Keith Humm

Keith Humm

+1 for this feature.

Vimeo needs to understand that there are multiple purposes for using their site. Playback speed is hugely important, skipping in video is not a substitute as then you miss content.

Fears about complicating the player by adding this are unfounded - your UI guys do a good job of keeping the player simple and I'm sure they can handle the addition of a feature such as this.

Swee Me Chai

Swee Me Chai

It is really a no-brainer. The only reason for playback speed to be 1.25x is because we can listen to lecturer speed through their talking instead of wasting the hours. Please +1 this feature

Ed Babb

Ed Babb

It seems like the Vimeo Staff are unwilling to listen to users on this, assuming - once again - that their user base, simply because they haven't requested this feature in droves, wouldn't use it. If this thread is anything to go by then it is obvious that many users - particularly those using vimeo for educational content - would love too see playback speed as a feature and those - unaware that the feature was a possibility - would love using it. +1

Adrian Sampaleanu

Adrian Sampaleanu

Please add faster than real-time playback. If you insist that this is not something that a very large percentage of your users would like/appreciate, why don't you set up a poll asking them instead of assuming.

This feature is invaluable when watching videos where the information content rather than visuals are key. With YouTube, for example, I'm even willing to forgo best quality for these types of videos so that I can watch at 2x with the HTML5 player (this player doesn't seem to always include the highest quality streams).

Your continued refusal to even consider a roadmap for this feature given the length of this thread is frustrating. It's as if your pride is not allowing for a change in your initial position. Are you really trying to "prove" that you know better than your users?

ComputerX

ComputerX

It has been three years since this thread started, and a year since Vimeo said they aren't planning on fixing it. They even stickied the post.

I'm a viewer, not a producer. I won't watch most videos at regular speed. Vimeo's solution is that I not watch your video, at least not all of it. They say "You can skip to any part of the video on Vimeo by clicking on the appropriate point in the play bar."

Vimeo is pretty clear they don't care what you or your audience want. They come right out and say "Right now we don't see this as being terribly necessary and the frequency in which something is suggested won't necessarily change our opinion on the matter."

If you want people to watch your videos, you are going to have to take Vimeo's advice and use "a third party player that supports this."

As a frequent viewer, I can recommend a third party player called "YouTube." When I find a Vimeo video I like, I search for it on YouTube. If it isn't there, I won't watch it.

obit8

obit8 PRO

I made online lessons and 90% of people subscribed to my website ask for this function. I can't speak too fast because some people need time to understand, BTW other peoples find boring 1 hour of lesson and would like tu speed up the playback.
They CAN'T go ahead in the video, because you don't have a clear percection of what you have miss, i mean if i speed up the speech i continue to listen the 100% of the speech just spending less time, if i jump to another point i loose part of the content, and this could be result a bit confusing.

To procect my video i CAN'T make it available for download.
This is, for me, a CRUCIAL function, people that doesn't ask for it simply doesn't know it.

Sid KUlk

Sid KUlk

I don't mind paying for this feature.

Phil Warner

Phil Warner

Can't believe VIMEO hasn't added the ability to watch a video at 1.5x or 2x speed. They give Youtube the easy advantage when it comes to education or tutorial videos. Hello? Anyone here?

KonaKane

KonaKane Plus

I may be completely wrong because I'm a newbie - but I think I would like this, in addition to 60fps playback because it would put more detail into the panning of large landscapes (like mountain ranges and forests) by recording in 240 fps and playing back in 60 fps.

Am I correct in this assumption?

William Croft

William Croft

I'm using this Greasemonkey / Tampermonkey script with Vimeo videos, works great. You need to edit the script slightly to add Vimeo to the list of sites where the speed keys are enabled (left and right square brackets.) Since I'm using with a particular online course site, I also added that site to the list.

Link: github.com/mirnhoj/video-element-playbackrate-setter

Patrick McCormick

Patrick McCormick

Thanks for the tip, William. How do I add Vimeo? The settings page for TamperMonkey is a bit confusing

Patrick McCormick

Patrick McCormick

Nevermind! It's working. Just didn't realize that the speed adjustment steps are as fine grained as they are. This is really terriffic! How I wish Vimeo realized how important this. I can learn things in a fraction of the time.

William - you've made me twice as smart!

cybrary2

cybrary2 PRO

We are a pro user and would really like this feature added to vimeo, we are having a lot of site visitors asking for this feature.

Patrick McCormick

Patrick McCormick

Playback speed is part of HTML5's video tag. Not having it available in the interface is just foolish. Youtube already offers this as part of their interface settings and is the reason I use that site more than this one, particularly for training videos.

It sure seems to me that user's time should be important to Vimeo. By that measure, regarding adjustable playback speed as somehow not important to the core features means that Vimeo, by simple extension does not regard it's users' time as important to their core plans either.

If that's not the case, then let's add playback speed adjustment to the core set of new features. I would be happy to provide the code required for your developers if they have any problems figuring this out.

William Croft's excellent suggestion of Greasemonkey / Tampermoonkey really helps me solve this issue in the immediate term, but requiring the average user to go through these steps just to be able to use their time efficiently is unacceptable.

Pete Gordon

Pete Gordon

Hey everyone. I was also frustrated by this... so I made a quick video on how to change the playback rate for a single video on Vimeo and put it on youtube, so you can watch my video in 2x without hacking the HTML.

Link: youtu.be/FFdz2LrkNuQ

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.