ZisBoomBah

ZisBoomBah PRO

Is there any way to force embed the HTML5 video player instead of the Flash player. I've got a special use case.

ZisBoomBah

ZisBoomBah PRO

Ian, thanks for the reply. I believe you misunderstood my question.

I am using the iframe embed which will default to flash on desktop browsers. I want to force the iframe embed to use HTML5 instead of flash for desktop browsers.

Mark

Mark Staff

It will default to flash only on browsers that can't play H.264 video. Chrome and Safari are currently the only 2 browsers where HTML5 will work.

ZisBoomBah

ZisBoomBah PRO

Mark, is there a way to force the iframe to play HTML5 instead of flash?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi, the iFrame embedded player will default to HTML5 in Chrome and Safari unless you choose otherwise. It switches to Flash in IE and Firefox because as Mark pointed out above, those browsers do not support H.264 video.

Mark

Mark Staff

By clicking on the "flash player" or "html5 player" link underneath the video on Vimeo.

ZisBoomBah

ZisBoomBah PRO

But does that control the video type when you embed with an iframe? It appears that's only for viewing on Vimeo.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, if you are using the iFrame embed code, it will use the HTML5 player. Your videos will play with the Flash player if you use the old embed code or if your video is in an old format that the HTML5 does not support.

ZisBoomBah

ZisBoomBah PRO

Can I use a tag to embed the video myself? Is this possible or do I have to use the iframe embed? How about using the video file from "Use your own player"? Where is the documentation on "Use your own player"?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hello, I'm not sure what you mean by using a tag to embed the video. However, you can embed your video with a third party player. To access the link to the video file, go to your video settings page and select the Video File tab. The available video files are listed under “Use your own player.”

ZisBoomBah

ZisBoomBah PRO

Thanks Ian. I'm referring to the HTML5 tag. I have tried making the "src" of a tag the value of what's listed under "Use your own player." but the video wouldn't play. It's just a blank video and I believe I got a response (in console) along the lines of an unauthorized. Do videos have to be public in order to embed in this manner?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, yes, your privacy settings should still apply when using a third party player. So, if you would like the video to play without a password, keep it public.

ZisBoomBah

ZisBoomBah PRO

Thanks Ian. Does this mean that commercial videos can't be embedded with the HTML5 tag? The agreement for the community pass says that no commercial videos can be public.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hello, sorry for the confusion. No, because as an opted out PRO member, your videos can show publicly while embedded on other sites, they just cannot be shown within the Vimeo community on Vimeo.com.

ZisBoomBah

ZisBoomBah PRO

Is there any way to use the vimeo controls while embedding with HTML5 ?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hello, when you say, "embedding with HTML5" are you referring to our iFrame embed code or a third party player, which we have been discussing for the past few posts?

ZisBoomBah

ZisBoomBah PRO

Oh, sorry Ian, it appears that my reference to the HTML5 (bracket)video(bracket) tag is being removed from all my posts. When I say HTML5 tag, I put (bracket)video(bracket) in the post but it was removed. What I meant to say in the last post was:

Is there any way to use the vimeo controls while embedding with HTML5 (bracket)video(bracket)?

So, yes, a third party player.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, unfortunately, because third party players are not a Vimeo feature, we cannot offer any support for them. Sorry about that!

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.