Red Creative

Red Creative Plus

Hi Just purchased Final Cut Pro X and I'm really impressed with it so far. However, I have just discovered that it cannot import mts files.
My question is - What is the best method of doing this while still retaining the quality of the footage?

I have look at various convertors but tricky to choose which one top go for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy D

SlipDream Productions

SlipDream Productions Plus

Hi Andy,

I use Aunsoft Final Mate for Mac. It converts the MTS files which will then play in FCPX. Unfortunately you will not retain full quality but if you convert the MTS files to Quicktime.mov files the quality is still pretty good and I have had the best reults doing it this way. I am currently editing a short film and I have not exported the project yet so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the quality is retained in the final exported file. I'll let you know how it goes.

brendan mitchell

brendan mitchell

Just use QuickTime Player. There's no transcoding or compression etc, it simply changes the container format, from .MTS to .MOV
So if you no longer have the original camera archive and only have the .MTS files, just drag them onto the QuickTime Player app. Once opened, go to File/export. Choose format "Movie" from the pulldown, (this forces QuickTime Player to save the file in the same format as the original movie). then hit export. You now have a .MOV file you can import into FCP X / iMovie etc (and as there's not transcoding etc it saves the file as quickly as it can copy it, so it's very fast)
For those wanting specs etc:
Sony NEX-5N
OS X 10.8.3
QuickTime Player v10.2
Although not likely relevant
Mac Book Pro
FCP X 10.0.7
Perian 1.2.2

4Moorhens2

4Moorhens2

Andy,

If you have access to a Windows machine then you can rewrap the .MTS files as .mov or.mp4 and there will be absolutely no loss of quality. Those .mov or .mp4 files should be supported by Final Cut Pro X running on the Mac OS.

You could use this method developed for the Lightworks NLE: lightworks.wikidot.com/avchd-workflow - Method 5 - Command line tools - FFMBC and test whether the rewrapped .MTS files are supported when you transfer them from the Windows OS to the Mac OS.

I use FFMBC to rewrap .MTS and .m2ts (AVCHD) as .mov or .mp4 so that I can process them with MPEG_Streamclip and I always get excellent results :)

Red Creative

Red Creative Plus

Hi Big Bubble
Thanks for getting back to me and for the for the advice. I will look into Aunsoft as convertor but it's a shame you have to lose some quality in the conversion.
I would like to retain the quality if at all possible. I have a nice shiney new camera that I want to get the very best out of!
I am new to FCPX and Apple and so far have found it be excellent in terms of ease of use and quality.
(i was a Vegas/windows! Carthorse and Ferrari comes to mind in comparing the two systems!).
However, having to convert MTs files seems like a step backwards to me. And after Apple claiming that FCPX is AVCHD compatible.

However, I did discover that you can load mts files direct from the camera with no apparent lost of quality, (I stand to be corrected on this!). Its when the files are not in the camera and loaded separately there is a problem.

And yes i would be very interested to know how your project goes once you get it exported.

Thanks again.

Andy

SlipDream Productions

No probs Andy. If you do manage to find away of converting MTS files with no loss of quality then please please share! :-)

SlipDream Productions

Hi again Andy. I have just exported my project from FCPX to quicktime.mov file and am pleased to report that the quality is superb! The not so good thing is that I have been using the 30 day trial to test it out so am now going to have to pay £200! On saying that it is money well spent as the difference in quality when you compare to other programmes such as iMovie is unbelievable. Hope this has helped.

Enrique Vega

Enrique Vega

If you import directly from the camera, fcpx will read the mts files. This works with my GH2, but if I just plug the card in, fcpx will not recognize the files.

Tyson Collins

Tyson Collins

FCPx will import directly from the SD card as well. You still have to select 'Import directly from camera' and then select the 'Private' folder on the SD card.

james farris

james farris

To be able to import directly into FCPX, you need to open FCPX first before inserting your SD card or FCP will not detect it. I was having the same issues and found out that it matters what order in which you do this. Open FCP, then insert SD card. No need to purchase expensive converters.

Green Valley Community Church

Green Valley Community Church Plus

You do not need the camera or covert in FCPX, choose import from camera, then choose camera archives, navigate to the folder and choose the "private" folder within the main camera folder.

SlowBow

SlowBow

Seems kind of strange to me, that FCPX can read the files off the card, but not the computer if you import them as is to a folder on the drive? Such seems to be the case though. I second iskysoft if you do need to convert. I got it to use for backed up mts files on an external after my PC crash.

Mais

Mais

hi, do not understand, it's quite simple, just put the card into the mac (or via usb adapter if you do not have the card slot), than clic import from camera, you'll see all the files you have in the card (thumbnails that you can also view in realtime. It's incredibly simple, may be the problem depends on your mac version ?

Mais

Mais

sorry, forgot to say i'm talking about final cut pro X...

Timothy Jack

Timothy Jack

This is indeed very simple. I can confirm in 10.0.5 that this method works well. We thankfully received files for a job from a (Sony fs100p) in the camera's original file structure. So once dumping all these original files to an SD card it recognised it as a camera in FCPX. And imported perfectly. I can't confirm if it works with just the .mts files on their own on an SD card....This would be good to know also. Perhaps 10.0.5 has added support for .MTS to import directly now?

Timothy Jack

Timothy Jack

*FCP 10 Point 0 point five – if you can't see the confuscated version number above.

Jesse Lin

Jesse Lin Plus

I use Toast Titanium to convert MTS for FCPX

Timothy Jack

Timothy Jack

We have tried this also; with 'Popcorn' however. And seemed to get audio out of sync...which wasn't ideal. Thankfully we didn't have to resort to this, using the method above.

Les Garwood

Les Garwood

I have essentially the same problem; I have a Vixia HFG-10. I love the camera itself but dealing with the .MST wrapper has been, and still is , a royal pain in the butt! I've spent many hours trying this or that remedy I've found online but the few that help even a little have failed to solve the problem(s) completely. One issue is I have probably a 1/3 of a terabyte to convert, so any solution needs to be relatively efficient or I'll likely retire before I actually get to finish my project.

I have an iMac and a PC; I have both FC Express and Premiere Elements 9. FCE does not recognize my *downloaded* .MST files at all; PE9 recognizes them, plays them and even edits them--to a point. However, rendered and then exported files always play poorly, have combing or some other fatal artifact, are often gigantic, or have lost resolution--or some combination of these issues.

For me, i's too late to download directly from my camera at this point, so I must find a way to fix what I have. I'm grateful to several posters here for their suggestions; a few of them I have not tried yet.

Incidentally, I found an extremely powerful but complex piece of genuinely free/open source software called "FFMPEG" (ffmpeg.org). if you are geeky enough this app can and will convert essentially anything to anything efficiently for REAL free. I warn you, though, this is strictly a "stick shift" machine. It's so good, in fact, that a lot of the commercial products simply re-package it into a nice GUI interface and then sell it.
If someone has some additional advice for me about my .MST files I'd be grateful to hear them.

My rant: if Canon insisted on using this difficult bastard format why the hell didn't they include some software with their $1,300 camera that would have allowed easy repackaging into more easily editable species? OK, one other while I'm at it: a cautionary tale, software vendors pose on many forums, and on Google, to redirect people to their commercial website after they've put "freeware" in as keyword; the purpose of this is to lure you into buying their goods in sneaky ways. They also completely lie about their product being "free". I don't mind a company marketing I just don't like sneakiness and lies.

Doc Hamilton

Doc Hamilton

Currently I'm importing MTS files from my Vixia HFG-10 to FCP 30-day free trial. If this works better than the horror of Adobe Premier Elements 11 I spent last week on, I'll pony up the $199 for FCP.

Emma Yonng

Emma Yonng

About three weeks ago, I also encountered such the hassle. Anyway, my problem is fixed with using the Doremisoft Video Converter for Mac. It can convert MTS to Apple ProRes 422 codec for Final Cut Pro X. Maybe you can test it.

Spiro Aretoulis

Spiro Aretoulis

If you are on a Mac, download Media Converter, a free app. that rewraps the .mts file without loss in quality.
Just follow instructions.

i have been using this method, or importing as is with Premiere.

M&m's

M&m's

Guys, sorry for interrupting.
I thought I'm having the same problem with Final Cut Pro X but I'm not.
I've just imported the files and i'm working on them.

1st - you have to keep the folder structure of the AVCHD folder. There is a standard structure(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD)
2nd - do not use the "usual import" button.
3rd-import through "Import from Camera"/ Open Archive >browse for the folder stored on USB stick/Card/ External Hdd the open it.
4th - Choose the folder that contains the *.mts and let the computer to read the content.
5th- Choose the file you want to import and create name your "Event"

Am i right ?!
Is this the maximum quality you"re looking for?

Spiro Aretoulis

Spiro Aretoulis

You are spot on! After having a look at some youtube FCPX tutorials, I have tried that and it works a treat!

Gabriel Vallecillo Márquez

Gabriel Vallecillo Márquez

I have been using the Media Converter for a while to rewrap my MTS files. Yet, I get some green screen glitches in some parts of my quicktime files. Has this happened to you? Any ideas how to resolve it and what produces it?

Thanks!

gabbo

Spiro Aretoulis

Spiro Aretoulis

I have not seen the green glitches you mention, gabbo. The rewrap should not interfere with the original file.

If you are using FCPX, have you tried the direct "Import from Camera" option? It worked well for me but was editing was a bit jerky.

Ryan Lafferty

Ryan Lafferty

What if you already put the MTS files onto an external HD and lost the original file structure? Anyway to get that back?

Nikhil Kashyap

Nikhil Kashyap

Thank you for suggesting Media Convertor, I had a bunch of MTS files given to me on a USB drive, and had to use them with iMovie. Conversion is fast, and working with them in iMovie is much more responsive than working with MP4s that come out of handbrake - no loss in quality.

Will report on the green glitches if I do see them.

Machine: MBP Mid-2010.

John Phillips

John Phillips

Spiro - if the editing is jerky - right click on the files in the Event and Transcode to Proxy media - but remember to go back to the original when you make an output file of your completed edit.

Spiro Aretoulis

Spiro Aretoulis

Thanks for the advice John. I am transcoding and everything is sweet.

All Video

All Video Plus

You can use too 5DtoRGB (or the batch version from the app store). These can convert with hight quality canon´s dslr footage also mts from avchd cameras to prores...

In the simple way, use fcpX direct import from camera... it´s all. You don´t need to transcode input files...

Charles Palmer

Charles Palmer Plus

I was having this same problem yesterday bringing video off my RX100. I could get the files from the camera via Lightroom but not into FCP. I bought and used Clipwrap after seeing recommendations on Creative Cow which did the job perfectly by rewrapping the footage without transcoding but will test bringing them in direct from the camera storage this evening.

Link: divergentmedia.com/clipwrap

Claude Lanouette

Claude Lanouette

Charles, Clipwrap saved my Windows to MacBook Pro migration. With a library near 900 .MTS files, the clipwrap solution is great.

One has to discover that an AVCHD file is wrapped in a container, which is the file structure.

The Divergent media group really made their homework to understand about file structure more than about frame content. So, shortly said, the repackaging in .MOV is fast and does not alter the file content. Avoiding the transcoding is for sure the best way to face the situation.

Thank you so much for this great app, also available direct in the Appstore!

Maharishi University

Maharishi University

I haven't upgraded to Mountain Lion yet, but I just discovered that HandBrake converts MTS files to MP4, which Final Cut X imports quite nicely.

Mark Snelgrove

Mark Snelgrove Plus

Hi All,

I have found that the Handbrake files are not as good as the files that Pavtube spits out. I am with out FCPX so have been transcoding all my MTS files before bringing them into FCP6. However, I just plead back some files directly from my NEX-7 on a super pro 1080 monitor and was stunned by the amazing quality of the files. At the same time, I am now unhappy with Pavtube and the FCP files I have been working with. Has anyone compared a Pavtube or Handbrake file with a FCPX MTS file? Curious to know what you think.

10Roberta

10Roberta Plus

Handbrake works if you have already messed up the original file structure. To import MTS files without converting simply leave the files as they are from the camera. Import the entire AVCHD file or the PRIVATE file folder, (or whatever it is named) as the entire folder. Import from Camera. Create Archive. It should just pop right up.

Kirk Westphal

Kirk Westphal

I like to just dump my MTS files on my machine and work from there. I second the suggestion for Media Converter (from sourceforge.net). It's free and does not affect the quality. Before I do this, however, I use the free Name Changer app to pre-pend the file name with the year, month, day and time, because re-wrapping these files changes the "modified" date. The files may still play a little jerky, but once you trim all these down, resave the smaller movs and discard the ones you don't want, you'll still want to convert the best bits to prores lt or something easier (but much bigger files sizes!) on your machine. I use FCP 7. Hope this helps someone. I've also heard that VLC will play MTS files directly to help you sort out which ones to keep/save.

Kirk Westphal

Kirk Westphal

And I also agree to watch out for people trolling these forums who are paid to sell software that simply re-wraps MTS files into MOVs. Please don't pay for those programs!

PS: When your re-wrapped MOVs play jerky, it's just because they're still in a file type that is difficult for many machines to process on the fly. Once you convert to AIC or Prores, they'll be smooth as silk. :-)

qrismac

qrismac

just to add one more possibility - Aperture 3.4.3 can convert / import /rewrap MTS files into MOV container as long as it finds the correct AVCHD folder structure as mentioned above. It'll add the video stream H.264 - passthrough, the audio stream PCM passthrough and adds a timecode track.

Trace Dominguez

Trace Dominguez

I open the PRIVATE folder on the card using the 'Show Package Content' commands until I get to the STREAM folder (that's how it works on my Panasonic GH2), pull the MTS files out and simply convert them to mp4 with Miro. There are probably other ways to get the files in, but in my case the PRIVATE folder was corrupted somehow -- and this works. There's definitely some compression, but the quality is okay for us!

brendan mitchell

brendan mitchell

Just use QuickTime Player. There's no transcoding or compression etc, it simply changes the container format, from .MTS to .MOV

So if you no longer have the original camera archive and only have the .MTS files, just drag them onto the QuickTime Player app. Once opened, go to File/export. Choose format "Movie" from the pulldown, (this forces QuickTime Player to save the file in the same format as the original movie). then hit export. You now have a .MOV file you can import into FCP X / iMovie etc (and as there's not transcoding etc it saves the file as quickly as it can copy it, so it's very fast)

For those wanting specs etc:
Sony NEX-5N
OS X 10.8.3
QuickTime Player v10.2

Although not likely relevant
Mac Book Pro
FCP X 10.0.7
Perian 1.2.2

Ben Judd

Ben Judd

I used Handbrake to convert MTS to MP4, then Compressor to convert MP4 to Apple ProRes MOV file.

Joe Thornton

Joe Thornton

I'm using FCPX with a Sony Nx5u and a brand new iMac. I am, for the first time, able to import video directly from my camera and edit in FCPX without having to convert files. If it really works on this project, I'm finally going to be happy with my setup.

Ken Wallace

Ken Wallace

Found a very good solution with a program called 5DtoRGB. It was made to convert Canon 5D movie files, but it works great with the .mts files from my prosumer HD video camera too. If you get the batch version you can very quickly convert an entire folder of .MTS files to Apple ProRes with excellent results. You can get the regular version for free to try it out.

Warning: the resulting Apple Pro Res files are about 10 times the size, but the image quality is beautiful.

Link: rarevision.com/5dtorgb/

Lika Borzova

Lika Borzova Plus

Thanks, Ken :) really nice tip about 5DtoRGB tool. Works fine, even if i don't have the whole AVCHD file structure, but just .mts Sony files

Tonelf

Tonelf Plus

Hi, I know ClipWrap rewraps mts to mov perfectly, but now I'm trying ffmpeg and ffmbc for command line, but with issue: final cut pro x crashed or cannot read correctly (green or black or not smooth) reading mov that I output from ffmbc or ffmpeg. my command line is like:

ffmpeg(or ffmbc) -i input.MTS -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mov

and I've tried -acodec pcm_s16le(or pcm_s24le), and tried adding -strict experimental, and -metadata title="something", and timecode=00:00:00:00.....they crashed and crashed! I don't know what's wrong.

I only know the movs rewrapped from clipwrap have metadatas: timecode: 00:00:00:00 (same as ffmbc/ffmpeg: -timecode 00:00:00:00 that I've tried), handler_name: Apple Alias Data Handler (I don't know how to get it)

no matter what audio option I choice in clipwrap, convert to pcm or remain ac3 audio in mts, the mov works perfectly in FCPX. I don't know why ffmbc/ffmpeg failed...

Eric wang

Eric wang

windows movie maker installed on windows 7 has already support convert .mts to general video formats. there is no need to use any other freeware and shareware.

Link: mtsconverter.com

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.