Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

Hi,

I would like to have the option to integrate subtitles, which are not branded into the frame but instead are flexible integrated like the "hd on/off" switch.

these should be multi-language, because I don't want to uplaod the video twice just to have one version for each language and wasting space.
And it would be nice to have to ways to integaret it.
1st to have an editor field to just put in the subtitle time codes and text directly in a vimeo mask/form OR have this as a txt, srt, sva file and just upload it.

sub switch could be like "sub on/off" and then with another branch for checking the language with iso marked "de - for german, en - for english, fr - for french, etc if available.

the supported syntax would be nice to be compatible to the most used subtitle formate like srt or sva etc, but should be simple and feature at least coulours, position and some fonts (bold, italics, underline) in case of doing an own syntax.

greets, Andreas

Phil Cooper

Phil Cooper Plus

and perhaps a flash thingy that would allow us to determine how long each line is?

Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

hi phil,

this would be nice, because of the embeded small and larger hd mode in fullscreen. you're right.

and that's why vimeo.com/1326682 I would like to have this feature, because I would like to add some more subtitles with commands and hints during the build up.

greets, Andreas

Photo Booth Works

Photo Booth Works

A while ago I posted a topic like this as well. I'd love to see this as well.
Check out dotsub.com in the meanwhile

Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

hi photo booth works, could you please post the link to your formerthread? would be nice to read what has been posted there.

BTT:
perhaps it would also be a nie feature to combine the sub titlte feature with something for the whole comunity.
If I would like to show a certain part in another video like "did you see xyz in the background?" it would be cool to have some kind of code for the reply box (timecode, massage with limited letters) which will be displayed during the videorun. the owner of the video could alow this and if he allows it this could be some kind of reaction layer, which has to be activated and then show all the integrated remaks.
in worst case it will be a hell of a mess, but that is your (vimeo staff!) task to think of a limit or filter.
in best ways it could be informative AND/OR funny as "Mystery Science Theater 3k" commentating videoclips ;).

just a fast opinion :D

Photo Booth Works

Photo Booth Works

Here ya go:
vimeo.com/forums/topic:4903

But this was all

Since websites like this internet started to get less international because video's are mostly with spoken words which is (mostly) in your own language.
I found this site which makes you able to easily ad subtitle to the video's you upload over there. Maybe a good thing to ad over here as well.

Check it out dotsub.com

This is a good example dotsub.com/films/inplainenglish/

I know you can subtitle a movie with different programs but the way they do it over on dotSUB is way much easier and possible in so many languages.

algo pixelado

algo pixelado

i would massively welcome this subtitling functionality, it would hugely open the content base to a global audience.

Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

AND it would be more user friendly for people hard of hearing (I hope that is the correct name for it, because I just know the German word for it ;))

Perez

Perez

That would be a good feature indeed.

Still.... you can make your own subtitles with you editing software. Sure, you wouldn´t be able to switch it off, but if you´re aiming for a global audience it´s a solution.

Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

hi,

sure, but how many can be shown? Ineed to have at least to langauge version, German and English. German is my native laguage, but for global understanding I am doing english subs (I would even do more, but my French ist bad and I am not able to speak and write more ;)).
If I would "brand" in subtitles, I would have to do one video for each language causing a LOT of unneccesary space and traffic.
switchable softtitles would be better. for me AND vimeo ;)

Photo Booth Works

Photo Booth Works

Well if they do it like on dotsub there is no problem if your frensh is bad. Cause someone else can sub it for you ;)

Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

Hi Mose,
why is it useles for you in current form? because you can't hear anything or because you want to use your videos with subtitles?

greets, Andreas

Fidel Lorite

Fidel Lorite

Subtitles must be a MUST for every video site. Vimeo staff, please, do it :) Makes us happy!

It's the only way to really distribute the videos over the world

Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

hi,

youtube supports subtitles now, what about vimeo? ;)

János Fehér

János Fehér

Agreed, I'd like to create subtitles for my videos.

Hidden Frontier

Hidden Frontier

I've been looking for an online video site that supports subtitles for a long time. Google does of course (although the timing is not accurate enough) but the video quality lets it down. Vimeo has the quality and adding subtitle functions will increase it's audience reach massively.

Not only for deaf and hard of hearing viewers but also for foreign language viewers and foreign viewers who know english but might find it difficult to understand when spoken.

We have more than 50 videos coming and all have subs in at least english and german.

We'd love to be able to make them available on Vimeo.

Matheus Siqueira

Matheus Siqueira

I would love to see some subtitles options on vimeo, maybe also something open to other users (beyond the user that posted the video) allowing them to post subtitles on my movie!

Actually, that would be awesome! Letting other users add subtitles in their language to your movie.

Alexandre Jasionowski

Alexandre Jasionowski

This would be a nice feature! Maybe as a Vimeo Pro option? If the Vimeo crew implements this function one day, it would be great to have an option to import subtitle UTF-8 text files.

Benjamin Reece

Benjamin Reece Plus

While I do not have a need, this is an interesting feature request- I am interested in hearing the staff's thoughts on this.

Ben Carpent

Ben Carpent Plus

Hi

Nice to see that more and more users wake up to this requirement, it would be a MUST for me too.

I chose Vimeo for its ease of use, video quality, and quality player. While joining, I was hoping easy and powerful subtitles functionnalities would soon be part of the amazing service Vimeo already offers.

We're waiting for it guys, make us happy :-)

Cheers!

Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

Hi,
I would also like to know what the vimeo admins think about this feature in general and about the implemting side of it.
There are some more thread about subtiles and closed captioning and a lot of people in this thread but no admin replied to it :(

greets, Andreas

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

personally i think it's an interesting idea but something unfortunately we won't be able to even consider tackling any time soon.

Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

get more manpower! ;)
hehe.

just kiddin'!
I'm sorry to hear, that it won't happen anytime soon, but please keep it in mind! In my opinion it's a good feature for foreigners like me, for people with "disabilities" (I hope it's political correct, if not, please tell me the right word. English isn't my native tongue.) and for you, because I just have to upload a video once and just add some tiny subs.
and this technique could offer you some more options for text adverts (I hope vimeo stays at ad free as possible ;)) and some other unforseen stuff, like "fun subs" and remarks like "this part is my favourite" or "have you seen this ... in the backrgound?" It's all about getting a reaction to all these fine videos here.

greets, Andreas

Andris Krastiņš

Andris Krastiņš

I think it's a great idea! I can easily imagine making subs for important videos in Latvian, Lithuanian, Spanish, Russian and English.

16:9

16:9

I would love that feature. I live a bilingual life here in Canada and it would be great to be able to put subtitles on my videos and not have to upload two different versions every time

O Rocha

O Rocha

Youtube has got it already, so, please, Messieurs developers, keep Vimeo ahead of the curve and think about adding the feature.

Hidden Frontier

Hidden Frontier

Maybe you would consider a two phase approach ?

By playing around with flash players I believe that making them play subs is quite easy. The most difficult part is providing a GUI for entering/editting them.

How about phase 1, make it so you can link to a sub file offsite (and the video plays with the subs on vimeo and embedded).

Phase 2, build a GUI if required with possible multi language/selection support.

Oscar

Oscar

They should find a solution like google does, that allows to import subtitles that you generate with other programs. I do this on google and it works really well.

Ben Carpent

Ben Carpent Plus

Youtube now provides AUTOMATIC translation (machine translation, thus not perfect, but still...).

Do the Vimeo Wizzards have changed their minds on the importance of this?

Would kick ass.

HortiMaX

HortiMaX

Super Nice Option
Vimeo staff, please, do it :) Makes me happy!

Parolu Mondo

Parolu Mondo

A easy solution would be overstream.net.

The video is still hosted at vimeo, and overstream provides the subtitle. But it does not work with vimeo YET.

Which video providers are currently supported?

Currently, Overstream supports the following video providers: YouTube, Google Video, MySpace Video, Dailymotion, Veoh (*) and Megavideo. This list will continue to grow. If you are a video provider who would like to appear in this list and give your users the possibility of overstreaming your videos, please write to integration@overstream.net and get integrated in no time.

InsProductions

InsProductions

i have to quote andreas... you can't let youtube lead the dances! they had interactive buttons and tooltips, they now have subtitles, and they'll also have hd videos, all for free and with no weekly upload cap. come on, staff!

Emmanuel Tenenbaum

Emmanuel Tenenbaum Plus

I also want to pressure the Vimeo staff hehe :)

The possiblity to add subtitiles without having to export the video with them included would be HUGE.

Please please please it is a real need we have. Please please please

Philip Steffan

Philip Steffan

I'd love to have my upcoming video blog on vimeo, but subtitles are an important detail of my concept. I never thought about vimeo *not* having that feature, so I'm sort of bummed to find this forum thread after searching for a help text how to do it.

I also think that implementing subtitles is fairly easy to do for the programmers, at least compared to all that video decoding/encoding code. It's "just" outputting text in flash, something that is quite simple.
(I do know you don't code a feature like this in your lunch break, but it would be a rather quick effort in relation to its usefulness.)

Michael Leverett

Michael Leverett Plus

It might help folks who are hearing impaired as well to have English subtitles or closed captioning options.

William Vercken de Vreuschmen

William Vercken de Vreuschmen

Hi, i'm new here. :)
I just wanted to up this request, because i'm searching for the best website for hosting for my upcoming videos, and I'll need multi-subtitles too... I hope this is always on your todo list !!

(and sorry for my bad english ^^)

IASA Institut

IASA Institut

Yes! I think wee all really need to add subtitles to our videos, what about deaf people?

Greenpeace Videos

Greenpeace Videos

What a boring discussion here!
Why does not anybody of Vimeo respond to the million requests here and say that they are working on it ?

What about Multi language soundtracks in a video ?

Andreas Hornig

Andreas Hornig

It's not a boring discussion, it's a one way discussion, unfortunally :(.
more soundtracks would also be cool, but I think it's more traffic consuming then just some text files.
but it's also one of my points on the wish list.

AlluvioneMediatica

AlluvioneMediatica

+1

(to be able to upload a *.txt subtitle file for any language, at the beginning as a Plus functionality)

Ricardo Greene

Ricardo Greene

+1!
I think its a fantastic and very necessary idea.

frenki

frenki

Yes, please add this.

This feature would greatly add to usability of Vimeo as an international distribution platform.

lerone

lerone Plus

I like the idea of a qulity community video page, like vimeo.
but to me as paying plus member the situation looks like the following:
YouTube just added HD (in a quality way)
YouTube just implemented subtitling (multi)
YouTube now has a beta of interactive commenting (nearly the edge of Viddler)
- just to mention some things.

... and its free.
so I am not a friend of throwing everything at such media giant structures. really not.

but please(!) let me know, what paying some dozen bucks for a special ambitious webcommunity is worth, when you can´t do anything of the above in the age of the net? and what a community is worth that doesn´t talk back. so please guys, stop me from migrating! I beg you!

ESF

ESF Plus

I'm shopping for a site to host my movie and Vimeo Pro seemed to be the right choice EXCEPT for this issue of missing subtitles. Nowadays, subtitled versioning is a basic functionality, more so when the service has a fee. It seems that I have to continue shopping around for a complete service.

tonygil

tonygil

multilanguage subtitles would be the only major missing feature, in my opinion (REPLACING VIDEO rules). My films go to 10 different countries, including the Far East, and they are spoken in 5 or 6 different languages... we have the (wo)manpower to translate them, all we need is the platform. do that, and i will be Vimeo Pro PLU$$$ customer.

Akiko Ichikawa

Akiko Ichikawa

Andreas, I'll do your French captions if you make German ones for mine (from English)!

If your work is on Google Video or somewhere else, let me know.

akiko i.

Diseño de bombas

Diseño de bombas

blip.tv have this feature! will be awesome to see it on vimeo.

Tangara

Tangara

Bonjour Vimeo

Je trouve vos services bien, mais se serait encore bien mieux avec une base multilangues.

Merci à l'avance.

Amnesty International Nederland

Amnesty International Nederland

"I'm sort of bummed to find this forum thread, after searching for a help text how to add subtitles..." Couldn't express my feelings better! I just became plus-member but I am very disappointed already :-(
Vimeo just seems soo useless atm. I'm gonna check out the other providers right now.

Any response from Staff would be very much appreciated!

Pedro Simão

Pedro Simão Plus

Vimeo is perfect.
If it wasnt for this lacking of capability.
We all want SUBTITLES!!!

BigCrow (Crow Pictures)

BigCrow (Crow Pictures)

I agree even with subtitles on 1 language :)
'couse I'm shooting films on Georgian and want to have an English subs too.. Turnable :)

Fernando Secco

Fernando Secco

Is there even 1 response from the Vimeo team to this? It's such a simple feature, even JW Player does it... doesn't even have to be multi-language. But at least one...

internetsubtitling

internetsubtitling

Today I had to advise two clients to switch their video hosting from Vimeo to blip.tv because they wanted closed captions and Vimeo doesn't support them.

This makes me terribly sad. Vimeo is in all other respects the best video host around, yet I'm being forced to drag people away from it! "Not for the foreseeable future"? Come on, you're better than that. This is a CORE FEATURE for millions of people.

Vimeo staff - this thread and the others on captioning should surely demonstrate a demand for the service. If they don't, I'm telling you now, amongst my clients there *is* a demand for the service. It's tangible, easily measurable, utterly colossal, and all your rivals are responding to it with conviction. Please, please, let's lose the inertia and do something about this!

If you need our help, just ask.

Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades

I got here, because I just add a video of me talking about a photograph studio I am setting myself.

I am one of those who think the world speaks english. so if you want to talk to the world, you have to learn english, period. but not lefting behind our native languages.

so. I made the video, speaking in english (I wish my english was perfect and flawless, but it is not) so I just built subtitles in english (for misunderstanding moments or hearing problem people) and in my language

now I got here trying to learn how to upload subtitles (because I thought a good service as vimeo had this feature) and I found this conversation.

well... seems like the subtitles files will have to be here and waiting for this release.

thanks.

União Espírita Mineira

União Espírita Mineira

Staff of VIMEO, you could reply on this subject in this being discussed here? I think you could do the work VIMEO at least dotsub. We are expecting a reply from you, until we know whether to migrate to another server with caption.

SAUVAGE SAUVAGE

SAUVAGE SAUVAGE PRO

I'm waiting for subtitle too, should'nt be a be problem to integrate using flash..

COME ON ! :)

Juuso Hepoharju

Juuso Hepoharju Plus

I talk in Finnish in all of my videos I make, and are at the moment making English subtitles that are permanent to the video track.

I had some issues with youtube once. The created srt or sub file was out of synk even if the video file was the same when I created the video.

Eric Stoller

Eric Stoller

I think that the demand for closed captioning exists as it would benefit everyone in terms of accessibility and search engine optimization. I have been a huge fan of Vimeo, but it looks like I will have to transition to YouTube as the majority of my videos need to be Section 508 compliant due to accessibility requirements at my university. It really is the right thing to do...it would benefit Vimeo...I am surprised at the resistance to closed captioning from Vimeo.

Dan Michael Heggø

Dan Michael Heggø

As far as I can see, only a single comment has been made by the staff in this thread - 10 months ago. An update on this issue is needed now. Should we stick to Vimeo and wait for this feature to be implemented – or move to another provider? It would be very helpful to know whether this feature is being planned – or not.

BlueRush

BlueRush

Just to give you an idea of development time, our company created a simple close-caption feature for our player in no time. We simply parse classicSRT file made in a third party app. We even build ourselves a custom close-captioning tool to avoid the third-party tool. Vimeo definitely needs more developers to meet all these requests!

Emmanuel Tenenbaum

Emmanuel Tenenbaum Plus

Ah, the joys of developping a business... :)

Well as long as you are aware that this would be a MAJOR feature for the billions of billions of billions of people who are not native English speakers (yes yes, we are many), that's ok...

Please keep it in the top of your roadmap!

União Espírita Mineira

União Espírita Mineira

Dalas, there is a force to develop this functionality of VIMEO Legend. Just missing the VIMEO this to be perfect! Please! I have such demands for translation of my videos in English, Spanish, Esperanto, Russian and French. As seen above, many other users are also need this function.

O Rocha

O Rocha

Mr Dalas,
Please listen to our plea. Subtitles are the only thing that is keeping youtube ahead of you. Let's get back to the top, otherwise, as soon as WMG stops busting our balls, the migration is gonna stop.

Spierwit

Spierwit

+1
Yup,
We've been making a half-hour infomentary about a rare disease for the last few months. It would be great to hav it on Vimeo with English/Spanish/French etc subtitles..

Any timefame for when this will be implemented? If not, I'm going to have to check elsewehere..

Fidel Lorite

Fidel Lorite

Well, i'm waiting for this feature since day 1. I think that this is a MUST BE feature, hurry up, youtube have it for a long time.

BoogieMen

BoogieMen Plus

I think Vimeo is superb. Because of the lack of subtitling possibilities I have to move back to youtube, unfortunately.

astgtciv

astgtciv

> A easy solution would be overstream.net.

Overstream.net just added Vimeo support.

sputnic

sputnic Plus

we are thinking about becoming plus members. and a subtitling feature would make the decision easy :)
I hope you still got it on your to do list?
Greetings from germany

Olof Werngren

Olof Werngren

@staff: Is there a petition I can sign? All I want to do is to be able to upload an .srt or .sub-file to my videos and let people choose subtitle language in the in-video-menu so it's also available in embedded clips. Thanks.

Ricardo Greene

Ricardo Greene

I would also appreciate it if you can add a subtitling feature to vimeo. It's the only thing lacking for me.
Congratulations for everything else.

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

Hey folks, just wanted to say Vimeo does care about other languages, seriously. On a personal level English is actually my second language, Spanish my first so I realize how importnat it is to include other languages on our site. Please know that we have not forgotten about this feature but we a small band of plucky humans with big hearts who do what we can with the time we have.

Florian Whitman

Florian Whitman

Does anybody know when it will work?
I am devloping a website and really would like to have this information.
Thanks.

Maximilian Reuss

Maximilian Reuss Plus

this is a no brainer.
it's actually very easy to implement subtitles in the flash player (your moogaloop one).
there is some opensource CC code out there. use it. we need the support of subtitles on vimeo.

OMF Media

OMF Media Plus

We've got the Subtitles into the MOV file we upload, so people can download a subtitled version.
Closed Captioning on the player would be a real help to us.
Our charity and its supporters speak 12 or more languages.
Being able to share captioned videos with them (without having to turn people to the 'dark side') would be amazing.
But even without CC's, the vimeo still blows every other video service clean out of the water!

Alejandro Cabrera

Alejandro Cabrera

I think the only thing that keeps me in Youtube is the subtitles feature... unfortunately very needed by me and unfortunately still unsupported by Vimeo (implementing multi-language subs in a Flash video is such an easy thing to do!)

omerfaruksahin

omerfaruksahin

well, this might give some of the developers at vimeo an idea.

i watch japanese series and anime's on internet.

both websites i use to watch online video has soft-sub feature.

one is here. and i am pasting this link here only to give vimeo developers an idea.
j.mp/ccFP39

and other one is here: j.mp/8XXbwf

thanks for reading. and i hope vimeo will support soft subtitles soon.

cheers

Omer

Atelier Zorobabel

Atelier Zorobabel Plus

I notice that the request for multi-language subtitle on Vimeo is very old (this forum is 2-years-old). All of our film have srt our txt file attached. Many video sites such as Ytb or Dlmtn have this functionnality. I hope also that Vimeo could do that also.

DLIFLC

DLIFLC Plus

Really, why is it taking sooooo long?
I love Vimeo for ease of use, but subtitles are necessity for all of our videos. I currently resolve the issue by posting both to Vimeo and YouTube, but will be forced to migrate out of Vimeo if the issue is not resolved really soon!

Denis van Waerebeke

Denis van Waerebeke Plus

I would like subtiltles too...
But I'm not sure it is so obvious to do.
Meanwhile, hardcoded subtitles is a working alternative...

Sinan İpek

Sinan İpek

We are non-native-English-speakers. Definitely we want this feature. There are other languages in the world other than English. For example Turkish... 300 million people speak this language. We want subtitle feature.
If you can't bring about this feature, at least you can do this: Allow us to replace any video with another one. Thus, we can replace our videos with subtitled ones without loosing the video's web address and statistics. We know, uploading a video without subtitles was a mistake, but let us undo our mistakes.

Kerim Friedman

Kerim Friedman

You can already replace a video with another one. But I agree that Vimeo needs better subtitle support.

max heidenfelder

max heidenfelder

We are all waiting for features that make vimeo accessible to more viewers!!!

Closed Captions is really a big step, for vimeo to gain more viewers and members!!!

BLANCA

BLANCA

como cambio la pagina al español por favor.... gracias

June Verelst

June Verelst

also would appreciate this feature... or to let us group together multiple versions of a video so the viewer can select the language by using a dropdown menu

Valentin Frank Beyer

Valentin Frank Beyer

how old this request might be... I just want to express my wish for subtitles.

Make videos accessible for the hearing impaired.

François Parie

François Parie

+1 for subtitles. i would consider going vimeo plus for it. for now, it means i'm sticking to youtube (out of necessity) for my subtitled material.

HDEyes

HDEyes Plus

Same request. I would also redirect my professional workflow entirely on Vimeo (buying a Plus account) once the subtitle feature is added... Please work on it...

zx

zx Plus

Any update? I'm planning to make something big with videos and would love to use Vimeo, but I need subtitles in this thing, so before making decision I have to ask if you got forward with the subtitles thing or it's still just a future plan?

polystyrene

polystyrene

wtf? i was looking ages for the subtitle option.

NEED this for deaf people at least.

Tommie Pollack

Tommie Pollack

Hi.
I belong to a forum that are strongly considering using a Vimeo Plus account as a video base. There is just this little problem, transcripts.

Being an international forum we need to be able to supply subtitles for the videos in various languages, and of course the ability to turn it off. YouTube supply this feature but due to many reasons we would rather use Vimeo instead.

Is there any plans for a near or distant future that this feature will be implemented, in any shape, at all?

Regards Tommie P

Paul van Hemmen

Paul van Hemmen

+1000 for subtitling.

I'm working on a international site focused on multi-language interviews - and therefore subtitling is a MUST, not a bonus. And I don't wanna stick with crappy youtube quality to be honest... ;-)

So please give us this feature, I'm willing to pay for it as well!

kontact.tv

kontact.tv

This request is LONG overdue. I really do not understand why the Vimeo team is struggling with such an obvious feature. All of your direct competitors offer subs. What's really the problem here?

Emmanuel Tenenbaum

Emmanuel Tenenbaum Plus

Dear Vimeo staff

I still love Vimeo - will always do. Nevertheless for first time I had to put a video on youtube, because they do offer subtitles.

I am aware it might be a complex feature to build. Nevertheless many many of us need it very very much.

Thank you for all your efforts to make your users happy

Tiago Vieira

Tiago Vieira

---------------------------
WHERE IS THE VIMEO'S
SUBTITLE OPTION????
More than six months
without subtitles,
Vimeo goodbye!

Andrew Pile

Andrew Pile Staff

First off, we are committed to having SOME KIND of CC/Subtitling solution next year. Our international growth this year has made that obvious. Why have we waited so long to implement captioning? The short answer is we were waiting for someone to solve the many technical issues surrounding it, but that hasn't happened. For more specifics on why we've held off, read on:

1) Many platforms. Vimeo now has multiple Flash players, multiple HTML5 players on multiple platforms ranging from mobile devices to TVs. We want to choose a subtitle system that can work on any platform and any device. Right now that doesn't exist. It's not even close to existing. The problem of subtitles isn't solved by just slapping the Vimeo player in some Flash container-- that's a one-off stop-gap solution and it won't even work with our Universal Player.

2) There is no standard format or support. When we choose a technical format to store and deliver subtitles we need to it be future proof. In many places (such as the iPad, iPhone, and TV) we use a native player. If we want subtitles to work there we need to encode it into the video file. That means if a subtitle changes, we have to go back and change the actual video file. That's not going to work. The ideal solution would be if all these players could read an external file with a standard structure, but that will never happen.

3) There is no 3rd party winner so far. If we go with one of these existing solution we want to make sure it's going to be around for awhile. Right now all the reasonable CC/Subtitle solutions out there are early stage startups. We would like to see some actual adoption before we choose a partner (if we do). I'd like this feature to work forever once we add it.

4) It's a huge project to build ourselves. Frankly given the technically challenges it will take forever and we've had more pressing priorities. We're also not a big team.

5) Adoption will be relatively low. There are some very great reasons for CC but relative to the other huge projects we could use to grow our business it just doesn't compare. Even after we do implement this I don't see us adding automatic transcription, it's just too expensive. We're going to have to rely on human transcription. YouTube added automatic transcription because they have been working on translation software for 10 years and they are a SEARCH company. Making video's more indexable helps them sell more ads. That's just not where our priorities lie.

The good news is we're in a better position now that we were a year ago to build a good solution. We are very committed to making ever aspect of the site more accessible and localized, but it will take some time. Stay tuned!

Amara

Amara

Hi Andrew, we'd be happy to update you on the progress we've made with Universal Subtitles since we last spoke. We already support Vimeo videos, flash, mp4, and many more. Our subtitling interface has only gotten better since you last saw it.

Best,
Dean

Oliver Villar Diz

Oliver Villar Diz Plus

I agree with almost all of you. I make videotutorials and use Vimeo to put them online... and I would love to have the subtitles feature for showing english/spanish subtitles without having to upload and edit the video twice :)

I know this feature it's not easy to include, cause you need an editor and lots of stuff, but I hope Vimeo has it pretty soon ;)

Good luck!

Oliver Villar Diz

Oliver Villar Diz Plus

Wow, just seen that someone from the staff commented on this EXTENSIVELY 2 days ago!! It seems actually quite difficult, so... VERY GOOD LUCK and I love Vimeo and how they keep us informed :)

Artyom Loenko

Artyom Loenko

Could not even imagine that Vimeo does not support subtitles. Very sad news. I hope you will find a solution, since it is a very demanded function.

Luis Javier Rodriguez

Luis Javier Rodriguez

Blanca, no puedes cambiar esta pagina al espanol, aprende ingles! es el lenguaje internacional.

Vimeo, please let us subtitle our works, its either multiple uploads, which is a loose loose situation because we dont get the full statistic in one place, and you affect your bandwith. Hire a dude to do it, please, if you ever hope to grow this should be one of your priorities, and you still have a chance to make it better than youtube, take the opportunity to have the first decent subtitles option, grow and help us grow

lightinaction

lightinaction

Yea I am going to go back to youtube if we can't do subtitles on Vimeo. Shame because I like vimeo's other features more.

The eLearning Guild

The eLearning Guild PRO

Yes, this is going to be a very important feature, one that YouTube already offers.

manuel soubiès

manuel soubiès

i'm about to start a serie of protrait and i need the multilanguage subtitle option for vimeo, and i don't wanna use youtube. SO PLEASE VIMEO, DO IT ! thanks

Mindpirates e.V.

Mindpirates e.V. Plus

We might develop a solution for this soon, as we definitely need this feature.
A quick hack via the browser console shows that its possible to put an html layer above the flash player, and display text in it. I couldn't make the onProgress event listener work, but setting an interval in JS to get the player's current time is possible.
Then one needs a mechanism to properly display text in the new layer, of course loading and parsing the subtitle files too.

This should work fine unless you go to fullscreen mode - so it's a rather poor solution.

But then also, building a flash wrapper for the player and displaying subtitles there is an option too, and this might work for fullscreen as well.

This might not work well with non-Flash / mobile devices, I'm not familiar with how much you can influence the player used to display html5 video tags.

Creatrix Tiara

Creatrix Tiara

Yes please to subtitles! Some of my viewers are Deaf and would really appreciate it for accesibility reasons.

Winnie Slep

Winnie Slep

Not wishing to resurrect an old thread at the ire of the moderators but I myself feel I could do with this feature myself. I too am considering a transition from the incumbent online video provider and naturally begrudge leaving core features, like CC, behind.

A lot of people bemoan the lack of communication from the small Vimeo team but I can tell you; from the mountains of feedback I have given you'd be lucky to receive a reply from others, while here you've been spoilt with two signs from the heavens.

I would suggest employing a poll, maybe have a concurrent one for paying members, bulleting the top most requests. This way you (the crack Vimeo team), and its users, really can see the high level features which can be expected to be developed on.

SAI_BABA_TV

SAI_BABA_TV Plus

Please, I need you, can put multiple subtitles in vimeo. Help

THURISTAR

THURISTAR Plus

Hello Vimeo, so is the subtitles issue going to be solved soon ? It would be very helpful ! Thx

Paul Hadley

Paul Hadley

Just wondering if any developments behind the scenes have happened regarding this please? YouTube has it, would be good to be able to offer to the Vimeo user market, especially to encourage accessibility for deaf and/or disabled users please?

Elias Patrikainen

Elias Patrikainen Plus

+1. Can't wait to have the possibility to add subtitles for my international viewers. Thanks Vimeo for working on to make it happen. Don't even know what else to ask... Vimeo is simply great!

GRAVITóMOVIES

GRAVITóMOVIES

I'm thinking on moving to youtube if this feature is not soon available.

Luke Wassermann

Luke Wassermann

I left YouTube in 2008 b/c at the time Vimeo was offering far superior quality, and the option to download the original file. Now YouTube has HD, and the download option as well, and the subtitling/CC option with automatic translation using the Google engine is just awesome, especially since Google Translate has made great strides (at least English to Spanish/French/German) over the past couple of years. Sadly, I have to say goodbye to Vimeo. It's just so much easier to use a script in Vegas to export regions to SRT subtitles than to overlay them with a text generator.

Onda de Vida

Onda de Vida

3 years have past and steal no subtitles?? come on! how hard it is to ad a feature that other video server like youtube as!?

Costyn van Dongen

Costyn van Dongen

Hello! I too would like to see this feature added to vimeo!

Thanks!

Vocaciones.net

Vocaciones.net Plus

I for one would love to see this feature implemented. In this global community communication at all levels is esential.

Ronan Gladu

Ronan Gladu Plus

I would really need subtitle on Vimeo... *.srt is best.
what's new on this? I cant' believe Vimeo is loosing all this viewers in lack of the first option NEEDED on films: subtitles!!!

oui liam

oui liam

This must be added soon

Ivan Lietaert

Ivan Lietaert Plus

Can't believe this thread is 3 years old, and Vimeo still doesn't have a staff member with the skills to implement a transcript feature.
In 3 years time a lot can happen: a bacheler diploma, a marriage and divorce, buildin 3 houses and the list goes on, but implementing srt-files to Vimeo, oh no, that would be too much asked, especially with all the competition around... (yup, I'm being ironic)

Ivan Lietaert

Ivan Lietaert Plus

I bet, now the 'good' people at vimeo will delete this thread and pretend it never was here.

Luis Lodos

Luis Lodos

I hope we could use subtitles soon. Vimeo, please, keep going on.

Sho Producciones

Sho Producciones

I join this request too!, subtitle support is the only and most important thing missing in Vimeo. If Youtube and Dailymotion can, why not Vimeo. Why? =(

OK EDEN

OK EDEN

Yes yes yes! Subtitles would be an immense improvement! As a film producer in Iceland, producing in Icelandic, it would certainly make life easier, to not have to burn the subtitles onto a quicktime file, re-export, re-compress, re-upload … to reach an international audience.

1MD

1MD PRO

1 year after, is there any update on the subtitles?

Thanks

Proyecto Chakana

Proyecto Chakana Plus

Hello there!
Is there any news about being able to add subtitles? I dont want to switch to YouTube and this could be a REALLY useful option for most users.
Thanks!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

We agree and it's definitely something on our roadmap. However, it's been a tough year for us development wise and I don't think we will be able to offer it this year.

Fotonium

Fotonium

we want subtitles!!! thanks :-)

Wyoming E-Learning Services

Wyoming E-Learning Services PRO

How does a video site get this big and not have subtitle options? For that reason alone we would be using YouTube except schools still block YouTube to "protect kids" from more censored speech than which they are exposed to on the playground... but I digress... Subtitles is a must!

Why do you not just partner with universalsubtitles.org/ they clearly have the technology to add titles to your videos (and in a very easy to use way I might add)...

Robert Flubacher

Robert Flubacher

So what's up with this feature? Is it coming soon? It'd be nice to get some update on this ...

Thanxabunch.

JUANJO MOSCARDO RIUS

JUANJO MOSCARDO RIUS

I have to move to youtube because Vimeo don't allow me to introduce subtitles... WHAT A PITY!!

Gabriel Oliveira

Gabriel Oliveira

So, is the subtitle fuction coming on Vimeo?

I'm brazilian and I NEED subtitles for people understand my videos completely. Could it be just like YouTube subtitles, or something that we could upload .srt files with the subtitles in it, and Vimeo just need to make the videos able to connect the .srt files with the video, just like all the players do.

Newton Uzeda

Newton Uzeda Plus

Same problem here. I'm Brazilian too. I'll keep waiting.

Zaid A.

Zaid A.

sadly we are forced to move to youtube because vimeo is missing this feature :(

teodor kuhn

teodor kuhn

i would also very much like to have this option, no subs means less views means less web visits means less vimeo

gletschersau

gletschersau

The lack of a subtitle function is the main reason why I have to publish my videos also on another big video portal. I think it is a very important feature and should be prioritized.

Lali Produktion

Lali Produktion

People in my videos are talking swedish. You cant understand them. That is sad.

Multilingual subtitles, please!

SPAMA Kompetanseutvikling

SPAMA Kompetanseutvikling PRO

We're a firm that need to adhere to principles of "universal design", so that also the deaf can enjoy our videos.

It would be great if Vimeo could support subtitles!

wasstraat

wasstraat Plus

I know you can use use lots of cool applications to put layers over the video, but true support would be the best!
I know popcornjs.org tightly integrates with Vimeo, although it has some API disadvantages, because true transcripts and translations work both ways.

ROJO

ROJO Plus

Rebuilding Vimeo's interface from scratch is great, but adding support for subtitles would be even better !

Gustav Nilsson

Gustav Nilsson PRO

The lack of subtitles is basically the only thing that keeps me from getting Vimeo Pro for my upcoming website. I want my videos to be available to everyone so I suppose I will have to look somewhere else for a suiting video platform. Too bad, since Vimeo is great in every other regard.

James Merry

James Merry

WE NEED SUBTITLES/CLOSED-CAPTION SUPPORT! (please)

Vincent Campbell

Vincent Campbell PRO

Adding my voice to everybody, I love Vimeo but this lack of subtitles option makes it pretty hard for me who directs mostly films in French and tries to get them out there to the world. I've been burning subtitles in the video for a while but it's really not the best, considering what YouTube has now to offer... for free. I NEED SUBTITLES !

Abby Way

Abby Way

Perhaps not everyone will use subtitles, but those who do use it really need it.

Vimeo is literally useless to me until subtitle options are added. I don't watch videos on it, upload to it, or advise clients to do so.

Hopefully we can get a status update this year...

Moïse Marcoux-Chabot

Moïse Marcoux-Chabot Plus

I would also really need support for subtitles. I just renewed my Plus subscription, but if Vimeo doesn't start supporting subs in the course of 2012, I'll have to switch to the competition.

Yoram Ever-Hadani

Yoram Ever-Hadani

Same here, just talked to my site designer to check the cost of switching my whole site from vimeo players to dotsub or universal sub. As an israeli commercial director who starts to work overseas It's crazy to start burning english titles for every work and then upload to vimeo. I understand it's a big step for vimeo, but it's the core of your business. please make the effort! thanks!
yoramiko.com

AnigoAnimation

AnigoAnimation

+1

We also need subtitles in our company. If Vimeo doesn't change we will do so.

DANO

DANO

have any progress on this subjet?

Yoram Ever-Hadani

Yoram Ever-Hadani

Sorry there is no reply here.
the issue of subtitles is becoming more and more crucial for my business
I understand vimeo team can't do anything about it. so... sadly
I'm changing the embeded codes in my site to dot sub and and moving out of vimeo.
it's a big fuss and I like the vimeo look and feel much better, but don't see any other solution
yoram
yoramiko.com

Antony Jose

Antony Jose

Hi, i just finished uploading an .mkv file film with one default subtitle track (but with English audio). However, i can't see the subtitles when some-one in the film speaks a non-English language. What could be wrong?

Johnny Tirita

Johnny Tirita

I want subtitles too, .srt compatibility please! =)

adrianbranco

adrianbranco Plus

I hate to say that but... +1 !
I do realy need these subtitles too.
Please, developpers, add this feature !

Polder Animation

Polder Animation Plus

I've been following subtitles / caption discussions for a while now. There hasn't been a staff update for a while, any word on the status of the implementation?

An .srt file upload, which seems to be quite a well accepted format, would work perfectly. Even if the display technology changes the uploaded format wouldn't require change. This way you can put out a functioning version quickly, and update it for added compatibility.

We're about to release a new animated film with Dutch dialogue, which will need English subtitles. Burning them into video file is just such a ugly thing to do, especially considering we do expect many of the audience to watch it without.

Please let us know the status, subtitles is a must for an internationally oriented video site and if the feature is close we might be able to continue using vimeo the way we would prefer.

Thanks and kind regards,
Bastiaan

Jonathan Enns

Jonathan Enns Plus

We are working on a 12-Episode docu-series, and are hoping to launch in up to 100 languages, and have a web-version available. .SRT subtitle support would be a very important feature when considering which service to use for this.

We would pay for it.

Eduardo Pavez Goye

Eduardo Pavez Goye

I was about to pay for the pro account on vimeo, hoping to put subtitles using a .srt file and there is no option for that AT ALL? in three years this has not been done? c'mon... are you serious?

OBRA Videos

OBRA Videos PRO

Does Vimeo has any forecast for this solution? Our need is the same as all of you, the same as Andreas, the first to write here 3 years ago. The solution now is you tube, but it's really a shame. Please Vimeo, help us!

Otto Robba

Otto Robba

Adding my voice to the others. Vimeo is a much more sensible platform for high quality content but the absolute lack of support for subtitles is huge problem.

Amara (universal subtitles) is a solution but it doesn't really work with fullscreen videos.

YuryLvov

YuryLvov Plus

We've to stop using vimeo PLUS in next month by some reasons one of it is:
Vimeo still don't have SubTitles!
We have to use YouTube...
Vimeo now loosing 21 plus-accounts from our company...
Buy

2 Player Productions

2 Player Productions PRO

Just want to add another voice to the cry for subtitles. We're forced to look for other video service providers when i would rather just keep everything here.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

This has been addressed in few other threads but yes, this is something we are working on. It's part of a much larger and complicated player update so it will take some time.

Abraham Georges

Abraham Georges PRO

darn, they dont have this I really needed this. will have to replace vimeo videos with youtube videos instead. yuk!

Abraham Georges

Abraham Georges PRO

what's really amazing with youtube is that it can automatically export the file for the language and then you can polish it, have somebody translate it and that's it - would kick ass to have it in vimeo of course.

Mono Collective

Mono Collective

We thing subtitles would be very helpful to all non-english content providers as we are. They would help us widen our audience and spread our videos. That's why we consider this as top-priority request.

Vimeo, subtitles please!

The Face of Birth

The Face of Birth PRO

I also need to add subtitles to content on a Pro account...
YouTube can do it... and can upload multiple files that instantly can be viewed and switched between....

Climbfish

Climbfish

+1, is this really such a space ship? Please just get some sort of support for srt files at least. Such an awesome site, would hate to have and quit my Vimeo+ to move elsewhere just because of this.
Also, About 1 yer ago I could get my soft subtitles imbedded in a .mov file (using .srt and isubtitle) to show in Vimeo (looking like they where hard coded), but now that does not work anymore. Any ideas?

v1rkes

v1rkes

would like to upload a video with .ssa extension
like in video.google.com

Kaizer Soze

Kaizer Soze

+1 ! ........ Vimeo, subtitles please !

Geoffrey Balme

Geoffrey Balme

Extremly need it too :(

But if it's still not here after a 3 years old request, I guess it will never be...Sick...

BfK

BfK

This is a "must" thing. Vimeo player should support CCing asap.

Erick Biain

Erick Biain

Its amazing, in my company we have to put all our videos in youtube because this lack of support for subtitles... PLEASE VIMEO PLEASE... at least answer something... and by the way we have a PRO (JA) account... but again, we dont use it at all!!

Björn Sonnenschein

Björn Sonnenschein

I do also strongly recommend to add .srt supprt to Vimeo.
It is nothing less than a must-have.

Andrea Di Nardo

Andrea Di Nardo

after 4 YEARS it might be the time that you really redefine your priorities and put your best effort on this implementation.

I still consider Vimeo the best service on the Internet (with an even better community), but this thing doesn't play nice for your reputation. Sorry to say that.

Itamar Carvalho

Itamar Carvalho

This is really a very important feature!

And this can be also better than in other sites: you can not only implement the subtitles but also let people suggest subtitles for other people's videos. The video creator can have an option to allow people suggest subtitles for each video and if the suggestions needs to be approved by him before being available. It would be good also to be able to set in the preferences what's the default subtitles for the new videos.

This new feature can make people interact with Vimeo in new ways:
One producer can ask people to create subtitles for his video in their own language and in this way have subtitles in several languages.
Another one can create a video only with images and music and ask people to make creative subtitles for the video, inclusive allow them to add more than one subtitle for each language. Of course, in this scenario the subtitles description needs to be more than just the language, maybe the creator or some other name.

Children Desiring God

Children Desiring God Plus

We have to switch to youtube to support our need for .srt subtitles, which is very sad. You are dropping the ball on this one, vimeo.

gletschersau

gletschersau

After 4 years of useless discussion I am disappointed at the least. The developers wasted a lot of energy to make the interface more bulky and ugly, but still important features like subtitles are missing. Instead they want my money for a PRO account, while I'm doing a service to this platform by publishing HQ non-profit videos FOR FREE. Add the annoying upload limit of 500 MB to the free account (which is rather little concerning the resolution of high quality videos) and other missing features, it is time to move to Youtube. Guys, you failed massively!

Geoffrey Balme

Geoffrey Balme

I think I switch to youtube. So annoyed with that

Produkcija i27!

Produkcija i27!

Shame Vimeo people are so short-sighted. International community like this MUST have such a feature. Very sad this great platform is obstructed by such a basic issue.

Toto®

Toto® Plus

How sad .... I hope this feature for a long time and seen as grown this platform ... I was thrilled when I could see it in Spanish but I find it very sad that there is no interest in this feature that is so necessary.
I thought as youtube took the initiative, vimeo response would not wait .... but nothing happened ...
Do not want to leave here, but I see that if I want to get to other places, I have no other thing to do to migrate ...
At least say when it might be available ....

Reos Partners

Reos Partners PRO

User with a PRO account, will be using youtube for all subtitled videos into the foreseeable future, unless I can find an easy mac and vimeo friendly way to hardcode subtitles into my videos.

Another +1 for a feature that, while it might not be easy to implement or develop, is a no brainer in terms of its usefulness and functionality. Given the quality of your stuff, I'm hard pressed to imagine what's ahead of this on your development queue.

Julian

Julian

Well, trying to keep this discussion alive... Was looking into getting a PLUS or PRO account recently and I remembered this 'feature request' discussion from some years ago. When I went looking if this feature would be implemented into at least PLUS or PRO it was not the case. Shame to see that other people do came up with workarounds to make that work and Vimeo is not able to attract a developer for this in all those years.

I really like the community but to make it work the subtitle feature MUST be implemented.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hi folks,

Vimeo is currently working on closed captioning in our player. We do not give ETA's for feature releases, but it is coming very soon!

How this will work with different languages is unclear at this point, we will take it under consideration.

enfilo

enfilo Plus

Thank you Matt! Amazing news! This is a feature that we were waiting in Vimeo and that we really need! So if you finally offer this we will be really happy :) Let us know also if you need beta testers.

Looking forward to your reply. Thank's again! Your team is the best!

Macmillan Cancer Support

Macmillan Cancer Support PRO

Thanks Matt, do keep us posted - especially if you are able to give us estimated timings at some point.
We are also in a position where we may need to move to another platform soon, because we are required to offer subtitles/captions.

On another note, if you need beta testers let us know.

El Viaje Imposible, P.C.S.L.

El Viaje Imposible, P.C.S.L. Plus

Hi Matt, any news on the subtitle feature?
We have a short movie in spanish, and since we are able to use Vimeo to offer it in VOD, it is essential to have an option to reach a worldwide audience by actually allowing them to understand what our film is about, we can´t afford to dub it...

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hi. It's one of the active projects that are currently being worked on by our player team. It's tied to our larger new player project so it may takes some more time before we can finish, test and roll it out.

Piotr Toczyński

Piotr Toczyński

I’ll need vimeo pro very soon. But multi-language subtitles are crucial for my business, so I hope You’ll introduce it soon :) Thumbs on.

We're for you if you need beta testers :)

Anderson & Widegren

Anderson & Widegren Plus

We know you are working on this, but please get on with it, we really really need it now! :)

Ricardo Sêco

Ricardo Sêco Plus

Hi guys,
Do you think it will be avaible before June?
(really need this feature)
Thanks,

TRIGRAMMATON

TRIGRAMMATON

Would be great to have this feature on Vimeo!!! :) In fact it is the only reason I still often have to fall back on fucking YouTube.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Just letting everyone know that we're still working on it!

Daniel Kossmann

Daniel Kossmann

What about working on something that is already being develop and has suppor for Vimeo, like Amara ? It's open source and could also help to spread the translation to various languagues.

Link: amara.org/

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Daniel. We had looked into Amara actually and we liked what they offered. That's all I can say for now :)

VisualRTV

VisualRTV

One more waiting captioning and subtitles, but please, make this feature free!, not only for plus or pro users, if it's possible!...

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

The ability to add captions to a video will be available to everyone.

Macmillan Cancer Support

Macmillan Cancer Support PRO

It seems like you are working on a lot of things at the same time, maybe you could separate them out and release individual features first as a beta and then release additional features as enhancements. It would get people using and testing and it would give you a better picture of how (and how much) people will use subtitles on vimeo.
You could start by releasing srt support, then the UI then auto-generated subtitles...
We'd be happy to help test new features for you.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

As with most websites of our scale, we have multiple teams working on multiple features and enhancements at once. We chose to release a strong captioning system out of the gate versus just providing SRT support as not every user knows how to use SRT files, and we don't want to deny those users captioning ability.

TopFootage.com

TopFootage.com PRO

Can you give us a little hint? Are we talking about waiting some days, weeks or months longer?

Do you need some beta testers, HINT!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

It's really happening, but we don't provide ETAs. It's tied to the release of our player overhaul, and should hopefully be coming soon.

Traipler

Traipler Plus

yes but please HOW SOON?
PLEASE We don't want to switch to youtube, but the lack of SUBS is a serious problem!

please give us an ETA!

thank you

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Sorry but we cannot provides ETAs on feature releases. We realize how important this is and want to get it out ASAP, but it needs to be solid first. Hopefully it will come in tandem with our new player.

Lorenzo Ciacciavicca

Lorenzo Ciacciavicca

From subtitling I will take a decision of putting the film I'm doing or on Vimeo or on Youtube. I really need subtitles, I hope you put them in time. Thanks

rod o

rod o

In the same boat here, I'm currently cutting a short film but for now I'll put it up on YT only due to the lack of subtitle integration on your player. I love Vimeo, but unfortunately that's a deal breaker for me.

Integral Filmes

Integral Filmes Plus

I can't wait for subtitles.
We are asking for subtitles for 4 year ago... What's going on???

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We only started working on this project last December, and have been very clear that it is important and something we want to get right. Things like this take time but we hope to have something very soon!

Jämtfilm AB

Jämtfilm AB

I'm hoping for a .txt file upload function with time codes, which accounts for stuff like framerate and dropframes.

My feature film has over 600 lines of dialogue, and it would take a week to subtitle it manually any other way.
Doing it manually on every language as well would be a nightmare.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We hope to have multiple solutions, manual and automatic, to help our users get the best experience.

Learn V-Ray

Learn V-Ray PRO

I've a PRO account, and I can't think that I need youtube to add subtitles :-(
So, It would be great to have this feature as soon as possible! :)

FX-Ray

FX-Ray Plus

You started working on subtitles in DECEMBER!!! It is August now! How is it possible, you still are working on it? You can't tell us, that you are not able to implement something so important in more than nine months! I pay for my vimeo account but I am not willing to wait for this essential feature any longer!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Sorry, but it can take time to get something right. We hope to have this feature soon.

Learn V-Ray

Learn V-Ray PRO

Well... FX-Ray wrote just what I was thinking... :-\

Ricardo Sêco

Ricardo Sêco Plus

Too bad that i need to go to youtube to add subtitles.
I am developing a series about comics and i am really thinking on give up about vimeo.

Integral Filmes

Integral Filmes Plus

Unfortunately I think Vimeo will never able the subtitles choice, we're talk about three year ago and the same answer: "We working in that... It's coming soon..."
So sad!

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Remember that just because this thread has been around awhile doesn't mean we've been working on this.

We never said it was being worked on three years ago, we only started last December. But as I've mentioned, it's coming very soon!

Petzl-sport

Petzl-sport PRO

Thanks for the follow up! Can't wait to see it online ! :-)
Our comments about it, maybe it would help :

- A keypoint for us is how to (easily) integrate it via the embed code (improving the code via the "share" button). That way, people who wants to embed the video can choose between the different languages available, wich one they want to appear.

A killer function : have a "direct url link" that force one specific language (ie. to send a link via email). For instance vimeo.com/0123545/de

The last part of the Url will "force" the caption to appear (as not so many people notice there is some captions, even on Youtube). Simply use the ISO 639 list for the languages.

We definitely do not need an automatically translation, as it's a huge development, and doesn't work well (even on Youtube).

We are working a lot with SRT files with or translators (or any other subtitling files). It's very powerfull in term of process.

> End on the next comment

Petzl-sport

Petzl-sport PRO

So we can imagine only to load SRT files on the video, and tell which language is (as they do on Youtube)

For us, we don't need to edit (or re-edit) the captions inside the Vimeo back-office.

If there is one mistake, we simply delete the SRT file, make the changes and reload it. That way, our SRT file is also the "latest version". That could help us to facilitate the development....

Good luck for the integration on all the plateforms (and those to come in the future...)

We had 5 languages on our last movie, so we've uploaded it 5 times
;-)

Don't hesitate to contact us if you want people to test the functions.
Sorry for the english,(as it's not our native language).

Best regards
-- Guillaume

Link: vimeo.com/petzl/videos

Integral Filmes

Integral Filmes Plus

Thanks for the answer!
I agree with you that Vimeo doesn't need to make a caption as youtube does and also it's not necesary to edit the subtitles, but Vimeo has to offer a button that we can add any subtitles in .SRT format. It's too noise to upload many times the same film with differents languages.
Hope they do soon!

I can't believe that it's so difficult to offer that. I'm still waiting this possibility

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We will be releasing captioning in waves of functionality, the first wave being the simplest form (uploading SRT files). It's coming soon!

Integral Filmes

Integral Filmes Plus

That's good news!!! How soon it's coming?
Soon or very very very soon? :)

Toto®

Toto® Plus

I had stopped following this thread because I thought I did not care, but I'm glad too that have considered this request. I have always been proud that my videos appear on this platform, because of its robustness and its tremendous quality, but I have a thorn for this item ...
I am very happy ... I'm looking forward to this release .....

A hug and congratulations for this excellent space

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We're still working on captioning – how that will work with other languages is not yet clear.

Boris Seewald

Boris Seewald Plus

Just found this thread now... and I am very excited about an upcoming subtitle function... I have already 5 different languages as .srt files ready and they cannot wait to be uploaded!!!

Integral Filmes

Integral Filmes Plus

Dear Matt,
it already pass a month since our last contact and there NO .srt files caption yet.
I want to be plus, perhaps pro, but only when I'll be able to add subtitles.
Thanks for your attention!

Jith Paul

Jith Paul Plus

Awesome. I was just exploring options to add subtitles to one of my VOD titles on Vimeo.

ExtremRaym

ExtremRaym

YEAH !! AT LAST !
I'm waiting for this functionnality since a looong time !
Cheers to the developpers and the vimeo Team :)

Direct Input and Upload SRT file will be perfect :)

Jonas H.H.

Jonas H.H. Plus

I'm very much looking forward to this feature. Thanks, guys!

APEIRON FILMS

APEIRON FILMS

Yes. Please imitate dailymotion's easy subtitle system.

It would enhance my favourite social film network vimeo a lot and help festivals to select movies with the languages they speak around the world!

Link: dailymotion.com/APEIRON-FILMS

Learn V-Ray

Learn V-Ray PRO

FAMOUS QUOTES:
« Hi folks, Vimeo is currently working on closed captioning in our player. We do not give ETA's for feature releases, but it is coming very soon! » - Matt Schwarz (VIMEO STAFF) 8 months ago

Scotwork

Scotwork PRO

Can you give us any indication as to when this function may be available?

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Sorry but we cannot comment on ETAs. Captions is in active development and should be ready very soon. How this will work with other languages is still unclear, but provided we roll out SRT file support first, you should be able to upload whichever language you'd like.

dentapol

dentapol

ETA means an estimated date, not a hard date.
I understand that it may not be an easy task, but by keep saying "very shortly" for 9 months Vimeo lost its credibility. You may keep saying it for another 9 months and have clients and customers drifting away. Therefore I think this thread should be closed until Vimeo finally ads the functionality of subtitles. It is not fair that people waste their time and are fed on false promises. "very short" in internet terms is not 9 months. Hopefully we will be able to add subtitles soon, but until then I wouldn't waste time on reading this thread.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

We don't provide dates because, unfortunately, schedules and development efforts change. At one point we thought this would be something we'd work on rather soon, but that was obviously awhile ago. I can say now that this feature is nearing completion and will be coming, but hard or soft date, we cannot provide an ETA.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Captions are coming very, very soon. Multi-language captions as this thread describes we're not clear on yet. Initially, that may be something the user will need to create themselves.

centset

centset Plus

We hope that caption option will be available soon.
Multi language subtitles are required for many professionals also members of vimeo plus / pro.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Captioning will be available soon, but the language the captions are in will be up to the user.

Learn V-Ray

Learn V-Ray PRO

We are losing clients for this missing option. Youtube have it... and Vimeo not.
I've a PRO account and this is really inexplicable to me :-\

Anthony Salamin

Anthony Salamin Plus

we definitely need this option :) im ready to pay more my plus account to have this option available soon !

2ème Lieu

2ème Lieu Plus

So do I ! We NEED subtitles ! It's a shame for an cutting edge player nowadays to be subtitle less !
You push us to use Youtube... Please ! On veux des options de sous-titre !

Telecinese

Telecinese Plus

If the complexities of multiple language support are the reason for the impressive delay, please consider at least adding bog-standard ascii-only support for subtitles first and only then working out the kinks for additional character sets. This would massively help out those of us who only need English subtitles for our non-English content.

It's frankly ridiculous that in this day and age pretty much every other video platform ever has support for this and Vimeo does not.

Please don't forget you're supposed to be *the* filmmaker-friendly, professional alternative. And that unlike some competitors, we pay for the service so we're the real customers, not some advertiser.

Casper Heij

Casper Heij

Are we talking, minutes, hours, days or weeks? ;)

woodworking

woodworking PRO

I know it has been said before but just to add to others voices; the ability to have closed captions would be great. I realise that this is now close to being released but only in a single language.

Please consider adding the option to allow multiple languages. Otherwise, I think you may have many users uploading the same video many times so that they can implement different languages in the closed captions.

With the huge upload allowances (which I love!!) you could run into the problem of users uploading half a dozen videos which are identical but have different languages in the closed captions.

Just a thought.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.