infinite.loop

infinite.loop Plus

The recent blog entry, that vimeo nolonger allows to upload "gaming videos" really shocked me.

I can absoluetlly not understand this decision. I've seen some comments at the blog (btw. adding a comment doesnt work for me :S) that it is about the "low quality" of these videos.
if i then check the "none gaming videos" here, then i dare to say that you find as much "low quality" there as you do in the "gaming videos".

In my opinion it is just discriminating that my videos should be less "creative" and "less good", just because i use FRAPS and a videogame instead of a camcorder.

For the moment vimeo staff "is so kind" to exclude "Machinima" from that new guideline.
Now "what" is Machinima for vimeo staff?

Will my MOVIES get deleted after September the 1st?
vimeo.com/FEARProductions
If they are "tollerated" to stay for now, you could still announce anyday that "Machinima" is unwanted as well....

bottom line is that i really nolonger feel welcome here now. :(

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

I am sorry that you no longer feel welcome here. This was an important decision and obviously a controversial one. I hope you will continue to use Vimeo if you are sensitive to the new guidelines. To be specific, your video Battlefield Sounds remastered would be acceptable on Vimeo. That is a very awesome piece, and is not just capturing gameplay.

To answer your question, we define Machinima the same way Wikipedia does.

I hope you'll stick around, this decision was in no way personal.

Ordinal Malaprop

Ordinal Malaprop

I am not sure that I am at all welcome on Vimeo myself. All of my videos involve footage from Second Life - no other video footage is used, though audio comes from various sources - and I don't really expect that a distinction will be made between that and a "game" despite how much I would argue for it.

I have a fairly lengthy video, for instance, regarding an art exhibition in SL, illustrated with footage of myself wandering around the various exhibits - does that "simply depict individuals playing a video game"? Or will individual videos be evaluated and some deleted but not others? Should I wait to see or just start hosting things by myself?

I am not the only SL Vimeo user either by the way. I have spent some time promoting Vimeo amongst SL users as I've always been impressed by the system; lots of other people have found it independently or were there before I started.

Aenea Nori

Aenea Nori

I concur with Ordinal. I came to Vimeo because of the quality of her machinima pieces, and the sum total of my work here has been SL-based machinima/"videogame"-oriented material that at any moment could fall out of the criteria Vimeo is using.

thaumata

thaumata

My top five videos on YouTube have more than half a million views between them, and I have been looking carefully at Vimeo as a better host for them than their current location. I love the design and have been recommending it to many people, but when you get down to the nitty gritty, if I can't bring ALL of my video content here, I'm not likely to come at all.

I think the trouble is that it sometimes feels like Vimeo wants to judge whether or not something is artistic enough to be allowed here. I can understand someone wanting to moderate and curate their content, but honestly, the fact that I made something by filming a video game doesn't make it automatically more or less boring than someone uploading 78 minutes of their cat yawning.

I'm not sure how your upload limits work yet, but I can only upload 500MB per week, so I am not sure how gamers can be using more resources than non-gamers. If this system is a tiered thing (ie you gain more upload access the more often you upload) then you are banning users who use your site the most, which seems unwise.

But above all, wouldn't it be better to simply implement something like flickr does, where an uploader can specifiy the type of content and the viewer can choose to ignore that specific type? Moderators in a group can always keep that kind of content out (by um.. moderating) and people with any kind of content can flock together and share away without bothering their neighbors.

Anyway, I hope you sort it out. You have a beautiful site and I want to see it succed. But at this time, the unsure wording of the machinima clause makes me too nervous to use vimeo to host my movies here.

Don Whitaker

Don Whitaker

To me, there is certainly a difference between a walk-through, gameplay style video and Machinima. Machinima has intent, or a story - a purpose other than recording a particular gaming session. The line between the two is not distinct. This line is even blurrier in a virtual world like Second Life where all of the content is created by the users.

I create videos in SL, too - although I have not uploaded any to Vimeo yet. Some are artsy, some are tutorials, some are just for fun. All of them involved creative choices that are very similar, if not identical, to a real world video production.

I support the decision to stop accepting plain 'ol gameplay footage that doesn't involve any creative effort on the part of the uploader, but there is the possibility that some creative bits of Machinima will fall through the cracks of the ban.

It'd be nice to have a bit of clarification before the deadline, or at least some concrete examples of what is and what is not acceptable. Let's hope that the upload moderators will err on the side of caution and let the community help decide via video flagging.

Karel Bata

Karel Bata

I can understand the problem here. Who draws the line as to what is a genuine creative video? I love some of it, like the incredible redvsblue series that ran to 100 episodes. That was a case study in how a make something good with minimal resources, in a way like Blair Witch.

So I vote "aye!", but that means someone at Vimeo is likely going to have to sit and watch all this stuff...

Whiskey

Whiskey

I made a channel dedicated to all the great Machinima on Vimeo. Hopefully that this can conclude that Machinima can be really impressive and cool.

vimeo.com/MachinimaHD

infinite.loop

infinite.loop Plus

[quote]
Blake Whitman
it must be more than just gameplay footage.
[/quote]

Please tell me why vimeo stuff deleted

War of Liberty: Soldiers of Freedom
vimeo.com/1501637

which IS MACHINIMA !

Gomez Perez

Gomez Perez

they better not remove the team roomba videos

Hurricane.de

Hurricane.de

Nice one vimeo [/sarcasm]
i'm surprised to see you deleted "Stuntmen Legends", which is one of the best Battlefield 2 video ever. BUT it IS machinima, there was no reason to delete it.
[quote]
Blake Whitman
it must be more than just gameplay footage.
[/quote]
CaptivA spent about 2000 workhours on that movie. This definitely not just walkthrough!

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

if anyone feels their video was wrongly deleted, they are free to contact us. Sometimes we make mistakes.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.