Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the trouble with this. This error was happening mostly due to the uploading issues we experienced yesterday (8/8/12). If you are still experiencing issues, there is a chance something in your app may be causing an issue. Vimeo has not altered the API recently so we don't believe this is being caused by a change we've made.

Please remember to read over our documentation at developer.vimeo.com for any questions about implementing our API.

Thanks!

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

I am using the upload api and have not made any changes to my code since it was set up over a year ago. Recently I am getting back an error code 708 on uploads. How can I trouble shoot this?

Thanks!

Edward Toon

Edward Toon

We've been receiving this since Friday? as well, on almost every upload attempt. (It looks like a handful have gotten through but I have not seen any function first-hand.) Our chunks all upload to the ticket endpoint and the verify call works, but when we complete we get the 708 ('File error').

Sent a message to api@vimeo Monday morning, no word yet.

Imprev, Inc.

Imprev, Inc.

An upload ticket with this problem is 1635388582a2b9a9c281f65108ae040c

Jared Langguth

Jared Langguth Plus

I also have the same issue.
Ticket cdc52139ddce6d27dee28f656145062d

Brad Dougherty

Brad Dougherty Staff

Hi Jared,

Looks like something actually went wrong with that upload. It doesn't look like the entire file made it to our server.

Imprev, Inc.

Imprev, Inc.

We are still waiting for an answer on this. We are blocked being able to upload videos to Vimeo with this problem. Any more information?

We are able to upload these videos through the web interface, but not through the API.

Imprev, Inc.

Imprev, Inc.

Another couple of tickets: 294644caec1e50b1860c085f599b270c and e7409827ef719154edebf557805bd5eb

ARC Church

ARC Church Plus

We are also having this issue. Our code has worked perfectly up until a week ago.

The weird thing is, the video does get uploaded but because the api reports an error, our script fails.

Richard

ARC Church

ARC Church Plus

I've investigated a little more and have found a workaround to my particular problem. I mentioned that although my script failed, the video was still being uploaded, so I changed the part of my script that requests the upload status of the video:

// Confirmation successful, return video id
if ($complete->stat == 'ok') {
return $complete->ticket->video_id;
}
else if ($complete->err) {
//throw new Exception($complete->err->msg, $complete->err->code);
return $complete->ticket->video_id;
}

So it seems that the API is reporting an error when there isn't one. Hopefully you guys can find the bug soon.

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

That is what we are seeing also, the file does in fact upload, but the API reports the error. Any news on when this will be resolved?

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

That workaround did not work for me. We are uploading two videos a week, using the same code that has not changed since we started over a year ago. One video is usually 3 minutes and there is no problem uploading. The second video is more along the lines of one hour. It fails every time. Please help Vimeo!! The last video that failed was video id : 45920011

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

Still happening, latest failure was video id 46197717

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

Yes that is what is happening with us. Every Sunday we upload two videos, one is about three minutes, the other is about an hour or so. The short one, no problem. The long one fails with the error code 708.

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

Did you ever get your issue sorted out? What was the fix?

Mike Brown

Mike Brown

I'm experiencing the same problem. 708 every time.
I'm testing with a Free account. I noticed that when I upload via API the video appears in my account but doesn't get transcoded. The video page in my account says "you video was successfully uploaded and is almost ready to appear in Vimeo".
When I upload the same file manually, I get a timer saying when the transcoding will begin.

Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Can we get an update on this?

I am able to upload fine manually (through the site) however through the API videos appear in my account but don't get transcoded. I assume they don't get transcoded because completeUpload is failing with a 708.

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

I started having this issue over a month ago. I have emailed to api@vimeo.com this week. I have not heard from them yet, but if I do, I will advise everyone on here.

Mike Brown

Mike Brown

@Skillgent, I assume you are getting the 708 from the completeUpload API call.
Did you call verifyChunks (for Post, there is a different method for verification for stream) prior to that to see if upload was complete?

I was recently getting a 708 and what helped me resolve it was to make sure I followed each of the steps listed in the upload document precisely.

Previously I was skipping CheckQuota and VerifyChunks (I'm using the Post upload and not stream. For stream verification is a little different).

CheckQuota was fine, but VerifyChunks failed. Even though the actual Post (upload) seemed to be fine, verify failed.

So I looked deeper into the Post and found one of my upload parameters was incorrectly named.

It would have been great if the actual Post returned some sort of error instead of "Thanks for uploading!".

Anyway I'm glad its working now.

Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Skilligent,

I'm writing in Java using Scribe OAuth API github.com/fernandezpablo85/scribe-java along with Gson for parsing the results.

OAuthRequest request = new OAuthRequest(Verb.GET, "vimeo.com/api/rest/v2";);

request.addQuerystringParameter("method", "vimeo.videos.upload.verifyChunks");
request.addQuerystringParameter("format", "json");
request.addQuerystringParameter("ticket_id", ticketId);

service.signRequest(accessToken, request);
Response response = request.send();

GetTicketResponse res = new Gson().fromJson(response.getBody(), GetTicketResponse.class);
res.setRawResponse(response.getBody());

Note you have to pass in the Ticket Id returned from the getTicket call.

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

We are using vimeo's PHP upload library and upload script and still getting this error. No response from Vimeo yet.

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

Now all of a sudden we are getting chunk error code 709 on every upload. Vimeo please help!!!!!!

Mike Brown

Mike Brown

709 is what I was getting when calling verifyChunks. Probably there is something wrong with the actual Post even though there is no other indication of failure.

TCI have you tried taking a tool like Charles and looking at what is being sent over HTTP?
(charlesproxy.com/).

Make sure what you see matches the Vimeo docs
(developer.vimeo.com/apis/advanced/upload)

Make sure the names and values in the multi-part sections are correct.

Example Post from Vimeo Docs:

POST 1.2.3.4/upload_multi?ticket_id=abcdef124567890 HTTP/1.1
Host: 1.2.3.4
Referer: mywebsite.com/upload
Content-Length: 339108
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Origin: vimeo.com
Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundaryFlF3dFBPBvsDeXMZ

------WebKitFormBoundaryFlF3dFBPBvsDeXMZ
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="ticket_id"

abcdef124567890
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="chunk_id"

Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file_data"; filename="example_video.mp4"
Content-Type: video/mp4

.... binary data of your file here ....

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

Trying to use Charles, don't really know how to set it up, it is not showing anything from the upload script.

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

We have moved the upload process off to a cloud linux box and we are still getting the error code 708 on the long videos. We are using the vimeo supplied php library and upload script. Vimeo, when will this be fixed?

Mike Brown

Mike Brown

TCI,

Try using the Firefox browser with Charles. in Charles under the Proxy menu make sure Mozilla Firefox Proxy is checked. Hopefully that will get Charles working.

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

Still having the same problem. Video uploads completely, but a video id is never returned only Error Code 708. Vimeo developers/staff are completely unresponsive on this post as well as emailed support and also from the contact us form. It appears that the developers have left the building. This is the first time a situation has been neglected for so long. In the years we have been utilizing this service, our issues have been handled promptly, until now.

ustudio

ustudio PRO

We are having this problem as well. It seems intermittent and unrelated to size/length of the video file.

Mike Brown

Mike Brown

I am having this problem now too with a 130MB video. Upload completes, verifyChunks shows the proper number of bytes uploaded but completeUpload fails with 708.

Vimeo support....no response. perfect

Brandfighters

Brandfighters PRO

Having trouble completing uploads as well. They started yesterday and occure on multiple uploads.
Uploading went smoothly, chunk-verification as well (1 chunk video).
Completing the upload fails with a 708 response.

ustudio

ustudio PRO

To clarify, we are able to publish the video, but the title & description are wiped clean and we receive the 708 error.

The Wonderment

The Wonderment PRO

Same error using the PHP library. I was able to upload videos last week, but today I receive the 708 on any upload attempt. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the file length or size.

Head Gear Animation

Head Gear Animation PRO

We are also having the same issue. File size does not seem to matter.

We're getting "708: File error, explanation: The file could not be saved. Try again" when trying to upload and a
"709: Chunk error, explanation: Access to the chunk list failed." When trying to validate the chunks. This is an existing application that was working up until last week (2012-08-03) was our last successful upload and I see failures as of 2012-08-07.

Files are able to be upload directly to the site.

HC289

HC289

We have also been seeing this issue all day, is there any kind of official support response? We can't upload anything!

Every time we try to upload to our Pro accounts we see:

rsp generated_in="0.5990" stat="fail"
err code="708" expl="The file could not be saved. Try again." msg="File error"
/rsp

(XML open/close chevrons removed)

Video

Video PRO

We too are encountering this issue.

This changed to consistently failing this morning. Two more example tickets: 0c921a6181d869b529a3f2f4d4ab72d1 and 83b3e3e3f1f0c31b410336f2b436c679

HC289

HC289

I've sent emails and posted on twitter to get this sorted, any other ideas? This support workflow for Pro accounts is disgraceful

Video

Video PRO

Another ticket from a few seconds ago: df944fec6385d394d2b8cc816deefe75
In the advanced API calls we successfully make it past the verifyChunks API call
We make passed the verifyChunks api call, but when we call complete, it responds with 708 "File error". However, we try and try at the response is the same.

Food Inspiration Talents

Food Inspiration Talents PRO

We've been using the API for a year now, without problems. Until last week we are experiencing the same 708 error on uploading. We are using the PHP files provided on GitHub.

One thing though: apparently our access tokens have changed. Both the old and the new tokens gave the same 708 error. Only with the new tokens, the video's actually appear in my Vimeo video's (however with an error, the video cannot be viewed)

Hope this will get fixed soon!

Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Due to the complete lack of response on this issue and the appearance that the API is really only Beta level, I am now looking to integrate with Viddler where I talked to a real person today. Wow neat.

Matt Schwarz

Matt Schwarz Staff

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the trouble with this. This error was happening mostly due to the uploading issues we experienced yesterday. If you are still experiencing issues, there is a chance something in your app may be causing an issue. Vimeo has not altered the API recently so we don't believe this is being caused by a change we've made.

Please remember to read over our documentation at developer.vimeo.com for any questions about implementing our API.

Thanks!

Brandfighters

Brandfighters PRO

Hi Matt, We are still experiencing the same 708 errors on finishing uploads.
Nothing changed on our end either. We follow the exact steps in your API upload documentation.
Everything goes smoothly until we try to complete the upload.

Example of failing ticket id: 34e86e9bf87f1becf8be6a319f77ab7b

Imprev, Inc.

Imprev, Inc.

Our list of tickets that have failed with a 708 file error from Aug 9th are the below. This was a 100% failure rate so far.

Vimeo Ticket Id
7b75c92b337d9365c988679dea681acf
6b475b7b59f2560b9651605848a0a637
9364e3b741ca233046f917dd52aaabea
64cd453b421e5eaf5cc27ba13a5e473f
1f17258071f540a7ea276de79a59c908
80cf495a9b6965ba44dfe147e7c5450c
0c9aafd410c31914b15b0f7ccc4d01ee
be5c799e434afdec533a36bfb80c5217
1685313eee78c0a4e4a78c46d7e02dea
a6b4bc2df56ebdbf1a613806b424efca

ustudio

ustudio PRO

We have not changed our code and it was stable up until a few days ago. At first the 708's were intermittent, but now it is every publish attempt.

Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Matt,

Maybe there is something wrong with my program but I can't debug it because Vimeo doesn't provide the tools / enough info on failures.

Here is what I need to debug this.

1) An API to restart encoding. Don't make me reload the entire freakin' file.
2) An API to get encoding status including any detailed error messages.
3) A desktop App that I can download that does two things
a) Test encodes my video file to make sure it won't fail when uploaded to Vimeo
b) Creates an MD5 hash of my file to compare to an MD5 hash returned on verifyChunks
Now with this tool i don't have to wait 30 mins just to find out there was a problem only be told to try again, which is no help. Is your API really that unstable/intermittent that I have to try again in hopes that it will work next time?
Write it in Java so it runs cross platform.
4) verifyChunks to optionally do an MD5 hash that I can check to make sure there was no
corruption of the uploaded file.
5) POST Upload should check all multi part fields to ensure the proper ones are there and return and error if they are incorrect. When I was first integrating I lost several hours because upload returned "Thanks for Uploading!" leaving me to think everything was fine when in reality I had a typo in one of the form fields.

Now with these tools I can actually debug what the problem is and stop bothering you guys.

I tried to upload my file again tonight and it failed. Below are the API results of a failed upload.

Get Quota
{"generated_in":"0.0508","stat":"ok","user":{"id":"12559016","is_plus":"0","is_pro":"1","upload_space":{"free":"53372964848","max":"53687091200","resets":"1","used":"314126352"},"hd_quota":"1","sd_quota":"1"}}

Get Ticket
{"generated_in":"0.0372","stat":"ok","ticket":{"endpoint":"http:\/\/70102.cloud.vimeo.com\/upload_multi?ticket_id=6df82228926266a1addfa7de97cdd792","endpoint_secure":"https:\/\/70102.cloud.vimeo.com\/upload_multi?ticket_id=6df82228926266a1addfa7de97cdd792","host":"70102.cloud.vimeo.com","id":"6df82228926266a1addfa7de97cdd792","max_file_size":"5368709120"}}

(SwfUpload.java:352) 2012-08-09 23:39:25,191 [TRACE] SWF DEBUG: Event: uploadProgress: File ID: SWFUpload_0_0. Bytes: 130457997. Total: 130457997
SWF DEBUG: Event: uploadProgress: File ID: SWFUpload_0_0. Bytes: 130457997. Total: 130457997
(SwfUpload.java:352) 2012-08-09 23:39:26,048 [TRACE] SWF DEBUG: Event: uploadSuccess: File ID: SWFUpload_0_0 Response Received: true Data: Thanks for uploading!

Verify Chunks
{"generated_in":"0.2673","stat":"ok","ticket":{"id":"6df82228926266a1addfa7de97cdd792","chunks":{"chunk":{"id":"0","size":"130457997"}}}}

Complete Upload
{"generated_in":"0.1831","stat":"fail","err":{"code":"708","expl":"The file could not be saved. Try again.","msg":"File error"}}

Vericorder Technology Inc.

Vericorder Technology Inc.

I think the clue to the cause maybe right in front of us.
Here are the clues:
1) VIMEO has not changed the API code.
2) The clients have not changed their code.
3) The upload process did run successfully over a relatively long period of time.
4) Everyone is having the problem
therefore the problem is outside of the API, and the client's code.
5) The above example provides the acknowledgement messages. Its right there...the file is received at Vimeo's cloud; upload data is received, but it cannot be saved... Is there a problem with their naming convention, file space (ran out of room?) or indexing system? Database exceeded some limits? C'mon VIMEO ...all these clients are practically yelling here there is a problem, and yourselves admit you haven't changed anything, so the problem cause is likely outside of the code logic.

InSites Consulting

InSites Consulting Plus

We're experiencing the same issue since a couple of days without any code changes.

Sand Sign

Sand Sign Plus

Just got the same issue. Everything worked well before, but now this error appears....

Energee3

Energee3

same issue, nothing is working when uploading from api.

linasaur

linasaur

C'mon. Same issue. I'm using vimeo php client:
github.com/vimeo/vimeo-php-lib

I have correct oauth credentials, correct video format, everything is ok, and I'm getting 708 error on my site. Can you do something with it instead of comments like Matt Schwarz comment, which is - sorry about this - but stupid. Many of us have same issue, imagine that every of us made same change is code, in very different clients and API implementations. Is it a joke?

You want to be treated as serious service - do something with it, it's critical error, and Matt just said 'it's not us fail'. C'mon!

Mission Media

Mission Media PRO

Is there any progress with this? Our client is hosting an event TOMORROW where participants will be uploading videos VIA the API!! Need immediate resolution.

Gannett Graphics Group

Gannett Graphics Group PRO

Still failing for me. My upload script worked fine until recently, and I have not made any changes to it.

GNI

GNI

It just started working for me.

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

The error message has gone away, however, it is still not returning a video id.

Stunning

Stunning PRO

We had the same 708 for 5 days - Wednesday to Sunday last week. Monday the API was working without problems. Since Tuesday upload works, but channel adding does not. This is what happens when adding a newly uploaded video to a channel:

Vimeo api request: [
[
"method",
"vimeo.channels.addVideo"
],
[
"channel_id",
"bannerbaby"
],
[
"video_id",
"47514163"
]
]

('Vimeo failure', u'Not allowed', u'3', u'The user does not have permission to add this video to an album, channel, or group.')

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

Still having a problem here. Small video goes up no problem. Large files upload but the video id is not returned. Still no response from Vimeo.

ustudio

ustudio PRO

Just got another 708 error. It does seem connected to file size now.

Please help!

TCI WEB

TCI WEB Plus

Still having the problem on the larger videos.

Conectar Igualdad

Conectar Igualdad

I am getting this message:
"Encountered an API error -- code 707 - The file is larger than the user's remaining quota"
I don't know what to do, there is no documentation about this, and Vimeo does not answer... what is going on? Please help!!!!

Witcamp

Witcamp PRO

Having the same issue... when are you solving this problem? this is very frustrating...

ustudio

ustudio PRO

Bump - API connection is still causing persistent problems (708's and -1's.) Will Vimeo address this?

ustudio

ustudio PRO

Just got another 708 with no clue why. Does vimeo even watch this?

JewelStreet

JewelStreet PRO

I've recently been getting the following error:-

Encountered an API error -- code 707 - The file is larger than the user's remaining quota.

and found that it was actually due to my server (for reasons unknown) having lost it's dns settings and couldn't ping Vimeo, Google or anyone else. A simple restart fixed the issue for me - YMMV.

Mike Weber

Mike Weber

Anyone else experiencing 708 errors lately with uploads? If not, how did you get around your issues in the past?

Bonerking

Bonerking

I am experiencing this error code regularly at the moment. Bought vimeo plus, still no dice.

Bonerking

Bonerking

It would appear that this may be an i.p. specific situation? whenever I log onto a vpn and upload from the Netherlands I experience no Issues. I am using the same account. Vimeo programmers, please explain or fix??

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.