okyrhoe

okyrhoe

For the past month I can't play videos on Vimeo.com, either with Firefox or with Internet Explorer. However, I have no problem playing the same videos if they are embedded in another site (blog, Facebook).
I tried the uninstall/reinstall Flash as suggested on the Vimeo Help page, and disabled Firefox extensions, without any result.
In Firefox I can see the starting image of the video. But there is no video player, ie no start arrow, like (heart), etc.
On Internet Explorer, not even the start image of the video comes up, it's just a black rectangle.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

That's odd. Can you check to see if you are finding the same issue in Chrome?

Geff&Tim

Geff&Tim

I have the exact same problem, on chrome and safari... It's started with the new version of vimeo. And i know a few people who have the same problem, we're all professionnals and if this problem continue, we'll be forced to stop using vimeo...

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Hi there, are you in an office scenario? Can you try whitelisting the domains vimeo.com and vimeocdn.com in your network?

Video

Video PRO

Playback isn't working for me either today. All was fine yesterday and today the player loads, the initial still displays but no video downloads, just sits there. have tried on internal and external connections... Anyone got similar issues?

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry about that. Is this happening in all browsers?

Jola Interactive

Jola Interactive

FYI... we are in an office scenario.. But this NEVER happened before...??

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Sorry for the trouble and inconvenience. Can you try whitelisting the domains vimeo.com and vimeocdn.com in your network?

Mark

Mark Staff

I'd suggest contacting your systems administrator to have this done. It's not something we can really advise you on, sorry.

okyrhoe

okyrhoe

Sorry Ian, but I don't use Chrome. I don't mean it in an inconsiderate way: I am not going to download & install a third browser just for testing purposes.

As I explained, the 2 browsers I have installed do work OK with other video sites. More importantly, I CAN play Vimeo videos, but ONLY IF the Vimeo videos are embedded/posted in a non-Vimeo.com website. It's on Vimeo.com itself where I am unable to play them.

Maybe I should give a few examples, so that others who have the same problem may check whether playing Vimeo videos posted elsewhere is working for them.

"Lebanese Late Night Bites"
can play - aidamollenkamp.com/2010/06/lebanese-late-night-bites (embedded in blog)
cannot play - vimeo.com/12511955 (with or without the "s")

"Taiyou Scandalous"
can play - facebook.com/ashkaelseyren/posts/392743800790301 (posted to Facebook )
cannot play - vimeo.com/43910876 (with or without the "s")

okyrhoe

okyrhoe

btw, I am not in an office or network. Using my WinXP laptop at home.

okyrhoe

okyrhoe

I just noticed the previous links I gave for Vimeo video posted to Facebook won't work for people who aren't logged in to Facebook. I'm giving another example below.

"From The First Sight To The First Kiss"
can play - facebook.com/vitkotov/posts/203172189804782 (posted to Facebook, viewable to all. Log in to Facebook not required.)
cannot play - vimeo.com/43177239

The Facebook embed works just fine, with Firefox and with Internet Explorer. I see all the video controls: play arrow, like, later, share, embed, HD, etc. and can click on them. I'm not even logged in to Facebook and it plays.

On Vimeo.com the original video won't work for me :-( . No video controls are there, just the start picture.

okyrhoe

okyrhoe

Yay - videos on Vimeo.com are working fine for me now. :-)

Thanks for for the fix!

John Horning

John Horning

I have the same problem. Videos won't play on Vimeo.com. This has been ongoing for months. Just checked back in to see if the sight had a fix or what the problem is. Still not working. Anybody know a fix?

Daniel Hayek

Daniel Hayek Staff

Hi John, do you only have this issue with Internet Explorer 8?

sleepingplanes

sleepingplanes

Hello, having the same problem since Saturday. No videos on Vimeo will play on my computer.

Tried multiple browsers on my computer and double checked flash player. Videos play fine for other users on my network.

OSX 10.6.8 / Chrome 20.0.1132.57 / Safari 5.1.7

This is unique to my computer and to vimeo. Youtube, netflix, hulu, etc all work.

sleepingplanes

sleepingplanes

To follow up - this is exclusive to Vimeo.com. Embedded Vimeo videos on other sites work.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Interesting. Can you try disabling all browser add-ons, firewalls and anti-spyware software? These can often inhibit playback.

sleepingplanes

sleepingplanes

I already disabled all extensions in Chrome and it didn't alleviate any of the problems. I don't currently have any extensions in Safari and I don't run any anti-spyware software.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Okay. In Chrome and Safari, can you try switching between the Html5 player and the Flash player by clicking the link under the video and see if that has any effect?

sleepingplanes

sleepingplanes

Switching to the HTML player results in s frozen intro frame and no player controls after pressing play. Though, I no longer get the "sorry there was an error..."

sleepingplanes

sleepingplanes

I haven;t changed anything but videos now appear to be playing normally.

Ian Durkin

Ian Durkin Staff

Great! We're still looking into what may have caused this. Thanks for your patience.

piknik

piknik

Same issues here until a second ago - Couldn't play any video on vimeo.com for the last days with either the html5 or flash player. Embedded videos did work.

Flash player displaying the "Sorry. ..." text & html5 stuck loading.

everything up to date on Mac OS X with safari / chrome / firefox

put down every security to test...nothing worked. then i logged into vimeo.com to comment here with Safari and suddenly all my browsers can play your videos. weird & I have no idea why.

Mark

Mark Staff

Very strange, but i'm glad it's working now.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.