Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

we're considering few options right now in regards to HD embed settings.

David Nett

David Nett Plus

I'm a relative newbie to Vimeo, but I love the service (I even got a "Plus" membership -- paying for services = love). Everything from the upload tool to the embed controls to vieo quality is far superior, in my estimation, to other services. I have but one humble request:

Could you create a way to control the default HD embed setting? That is, if I embed HD video on my site, I'd like to make certain that the default HD setting for a user is set to "HD off."

You see, I wanna make my HD versions available to my viewers, but, since HD does hog the ol' bandwidth, and I am limited in HD impressions, I'd like users to explicitly ask (or click) for HD content. By default, if a user just hits "play," I want the SD version to play.

I've had several of my viewers comment that video loads very slowly or stutters -- it's just 'cause HD is on by default and they are used to smaller, quicker (lower quality) streams. If SD were on by default, those folks would be happy, and savvy users who want the richer (but slower) experience could explicitly ask for it. Win win.

Thanks, and keep up the fantastic work.

-David

STUDIO ZIMOUN

STUDIO ZIMOUN Plus

And for us the opposite would be great. We would like to force the embeeded video to auto start in HD.

Is there no way just to force (or not to force) HD with a change in the embeed code? (in the same way like loop or autoplay?)
That would be great and help us but also guys like David who want the opposite... Thanks, Nina / ZVA

RDJim

RDJim Plus

David Nett, Seeing the HD impressions are no longer an issue does HD off by default still an issue for you? Obviously it must have changed since you posted this message because HD is now off by default. There is a group of us who want full control over when HD is on or off.

Underground Planet

Underground Planet Plus

I mentioned this in another thread David as I feel the same way. Appreciate the fact that I'm not the only one that would like the ability to chose the default for HD on/off.

- Ray

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

good idea, we'll definitely look into adding more granular controls like this.

RDJim

RDJim Plus

It's been 2 years. Where are the controls? There is another more recent thread on this subject. C an some please address the issue finally? We want control over our "first impressions."

rob downs

rob downs

I would like this as well, but will request it in a less douche-like fashion than our friend Karel did in another thread.

With plus membership, you get 1,000 HD embeds (and you can buy more). I want to be able to control where those HD embeds are used- for example, perhaps I only want the HD embeds to be used on my blog but would allow others to embed my videos on Facebook with HD disabled.

I don't want to be forced to keep purchasing more HD embeds b/c others are embedding my videos. For now, I have disabled embedding b/c of this. I would rather have more people see my vids and I'm sure you would like the traffic as well.

I understand the downside in that you want the highest quality video available however once I run out of my HD embeds, they'd be seeing the non-HD versions anyway.

I think a feature similar to the domain control for where videos can be embedded would work, i.e. you can enter which domains you want to allow HD embeds. I know that may be difficult but feel it would be highly valuable and increase overall traffic to Vimeo.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

hello rob. are you aware that we already have this feature for plus? look under your video settings' embedding tab.

rob downs

rob downs

HA HA HA HA- No I wasn't aware of that! Man, I KNEW that was a good idea! ; )

You guys rawk. \ii/

myweeklyobama

myweeklyobama

I think an embed variable such as HD=off for the embed code would be really useful. I would like my visitors to have the option of viewing the embedded video in HD, but I would prefer for it to load up as SD and have them click the HD button. It would let me make better use of my allotted HD impressions by letting only the users who want to view in HD do so, without leaving my website, while letting the rest of my visitors get to watching right away. I don't see how this a hard thing for vimeo to implement as right in the video there is an HD on/off button. All I want is the ability to load up an embedded video as SD first then toggle to HD if the user chooses.

The Book of Jer3miah

The Book of Jer3miah

I would also like the option to have my videos default in SD, but toggle to HD when the button is pushed.

Media Group TV

Media Group TV

Hi,
I just bought the plus version, and as many pthers I would like the option to have my videos embed *default* in SD, but toggle to HD when the button is pushed.

This would help a lot, I'm looking fowrard for this new feature.

Thanks.

Josh Cox

Josh Cox

I agree, begin playback in SD with the option to switch to HD.

Josh Cox

Josh Cox

After some more digging and attempted cracks at code changing, it appears this option is unavailable at this time.

I have some sponsors that want a few of my YouTube videos on their site. PowerBar.com, Causeworth.com, NewtonRunning.com, etc. I was hoping to use this platform but apparently many users haven't upgraded their players & browsers to view anything in HD (I did a test at my site). I'll have to resort to YouTube for now. I'll gladly switch to Vimeo once this is resolved. If anyone has any input, please let me know.

Thanks for the great service & forums.

Josh Cox

Grady Moore

Grady Moore Plus

I agree. Is this feature available yet? I would prefer to have viewers, by default, watch video more quickly. If they opt for the higher quality...great! Then they won't be pissed at the slightly longer load time.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

we've been hesitant to offer this feature for plus members because SD/HD viewing preference is something that's set for all logged in users in their cookie. it's an explicit choice made by our users we would rather not override, but we will consider it again though.

Chip

Chip

The problem is, folks who aren't members of Vimeo have HD set as on by default. Thus there is no way to control their experience with an embedded video.

Couldn't you just make it so the user settings supersede the embed settings? This solves both issues, while giving way more control to video uploaders without detracting from users who prefer to always view in HD.

Non tech savvy users trying to view HD videos on older systems are going to see the stuttering and slow load times as issues with Vimeo. That's not exactly the best way to present such an amazing product.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

yes, we've been thinking about that approach as well for possible feature add-on. we are considering it.

Jayson Ambrose

Jayson Ambrose

How's that consideration going? I assume this is because you charge customers for HD views, but the viewer experience suffers.

I can see this being a tech vs. bean-counter issue. UX should always win, though...

WoodheadEntertainment

WoodheadEntertainment Plus

If you could make SD the default and HD an option on the embedded page... I think you would be able to justify charging us with a HD embed play regardless of whether or not the viewer changed to HD...

It's just really unfortunate that a standard non-web-savvy user will not have a good viewing experience if their default has to be HD...

Obviously, not charging us with an HD embedded play AND having this option is ideal... but I'd support anything that would encourage you to implement this extremely important option in the short term future...

COLORFULgrey Zach Settewongse

COLORFULgrey Zach Settewongse PRO

I prefer just the opposite. I like them to load in HD first. However having the option would be best. Just add another option like "overide Vimeo user SD/HD preset cookie?" So you could choose:

1. Load/ start in HD (exception - do not overide vimeo user cookie)
2. Load/ start in SD (exception - do not overide vimeo user cookie)
3. Always load/ start in HD (Overide vimeo user cookie - not reccomended)
4. Always load/ start in SD (Overide vimeo user cookie - not reccomended)

See simple :)

UPDATE (1-3-10) I was wrong! Videos should always load in SD at first untill the user makes the choice to view in HD. More than 50% of the time I get people telling me they could not view a video on my site because it wouldn't load fast enough or I hear that it just keeps stoping the whole time. If Vimeo doesnt' add this option I WILL NOT be RENEWING my PLUS.

Blended Coaching

Blended Coaching

For me, too. I experience connection problems with HD vids when family abroad tries to play them. For vids intended for them, defaulting HD to OFF would be a great solution.

GeiSt

GeiSt Plus

I'd like for a situation wherein - there are two embed codes... one code for HD 'ON' and one embed code for the same video but HD 'OFF' - this is because I would have liked to offer HD only to people who sign up to my site.

In any case, HD does stutter heavily so I'm actually thinking of turning off HD embed just so that my visitors don't get turned away. Love Vimeo still but would love it yet more if more embed options were offered.. more control.

WoodheadEntertainment

I agree... I just became a plus member today an I'm modifying my website around vimeo embedding as opposed to my custom FLV files... vimeo's conversion looks great.

For me though, having videos load in SD by default and HD as an option isn't just a nice feature... it's a deal breaker. As much as I love vimeo, I'm not sure I can afford $60 a year when the viewing experience of most casual internet users is going to suffer.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

do you know that for viewers without viewing preference cookies set, the default mode for embedded HD videos is HD, not SD?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

sorry but i do not understand. here's what you've said above:

"For me though, having videos load in SD by default and HD as an option isn't just a nice feature... it's a deal breaker."

our embedded HD videos load in HD by default. to me what you said above sounds like that's what you want.

WoodheadEntertainment

This forum seems to have the following general tone: "it'd be nice if we had the option to have our embedded videos play in SD as default."

I agree with that sentiment, however I'm also saying that for my needs (exhibition to non-web-savvy users), this option is an absolute necessity and not just a luxury. If HD videos can't be embedded in SD by default, most viewers are going to have a worse viewing experience.

I do really like Vimeo, and would otherwise happy pay $60 a year, but unless intend on making this change, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Nigel Turnbull

Nigel Turnbull

In the UK, most people do not have the bandwidth to handle smooth streaming HD, especially in the evening when bandwidth can drop to 400k or worse. Viewers are after ‘CONTENT’ and expect an ‘UN-FRUSTRATING’ viewing experience.
My HD videos should ALWAYS default to SD. My page would display this short message above the video:
“Watch in High Definition if you have fast broadband at least 2meg down or don’t mind PAUSing for a few minutes. Press the HD-on/HD-off button”.

Nigel Turnbull

Nigel Turnbull

To be more succinct: HD is an excellent second option but FIRST PLAY should ALWAYS default to SD until broadband speeds become genuinely faster. Non Techy viewers (the majority) aint gonna bookmark a site with videos that apparently take ages to load and keep stopping for a quick Buffer!

wei li

wei li

Yes please have an option to have HD off by default

Bronwyn Maxwell

Bronwyn Maxwell

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of users asking for the option to have HD off by default in embedded videos.

CrossRoads Fellowship

CrossRoads Fellowship Plus

I was just looking around for how to allow default SD playback for the same reasons as above. I looked in the code, but there is no variable. Just tried out my web site on a less-than-ideal machine and it started to hang real bad. The option within the code would be awesome...

Nigel Turnbull

Nigel Turnbull

Do the Vimeo Staffers understand what is being requested here ?
Is any action being taken ?

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

We hear you guys! This idea (as well as many others) is in the que for improvements to Plus. Thanks for all the feedback.

GeiSt

GeiSt Plus

Do you have even a ballpark timeframe for this feature? I really would like to not have to use YouTube for too long!

Lingner Consulting

Lingner Consulting

We also would like to have this feature enabled as soon as.... For now we have to force users to use SD "disable HD embed"

Greyscalegorilla

Greyscalegorilla PRO

I'll throw another vote in for this feature. It would be really helpful for everyone. Thanks!

BYT Media

BYT Media

Bump. This is a big issue, considering the jerky quality of HD playback for most people. Adding a toggle that allows "SD playback by default?" is trivial, and a logged-in Vimeo user's settings can override that.

Windust Operations

Windust Operations Plus

Not sure if this is the right thread to say this but I also am in the UK and am esxperiencing this 'HD stutter' issue I've read about here and on other threads. ATM it's 0230 and I'm in the middle of uploading SD versions of HD edits becasue the playback is jagging and skipping on ANY machine or browser I've used. Granted that may be for another thread (transcoding issues? I've looked but I can't seem to find a specific answer to that jitter/stagger issue. Mind you, the more I read around I see threads covering that issue that have been locked off with no answers given except to check the FAQ - ref. vimeo.com/forums/topic:16100). Until that's sorted, a default SD and 'click for HD' feature could be good as it'd stop people looking at my materials saying that I produce rubbish becasue of the fit-and-start way in which HD seems to be shown. And as I've just shelled out the bucks for the Plus membership, that ain't too cool.

sonicsgate

sonicsgate

+1

HD=off in the embed URL please

makes the most sense to me, if the user is logged in, that their HD preference set in the cookie doesn't get over-ridden. but i could go either way on that one. i just want to se SD as default with HD as an option.

Stuart Mottershead

Stuart Mottershead Plus

Also in the UK, I'm getting complaints from viewers that Vimeo doesn't seem to work". I try it myself and sometimes the thing just flickers and doesn't play at all. Going to have to upload all my videos again in SD. AAAAGH!!!!

Land Elsewhere

Land Elsewhere Plus

I'm in total agreement - this is a must-have feature. Really hoping it's integrated into Plus features ASAP.

Bill McDermott

Bill McDermott

To David Nett who over 1 year ago asked the question can we get an SD code in our embed. IS ANYBODY that is in charge here LISTENING???? I hate to sound abrasive here guys but come on ---- one year ago this has been kicking around. Quite obviously you're not going to help us out.

Nigel Turnbull

Nigel Turnbull

I am not embedding any HD video until this feature is available.
I have tested a couple of HD videos on Vimeo and asked several people to play them.
The unanimous outcome was that they persevered to play it just because it was ME! — they would normally have given up and left with no intention of returning to such a SLOW site!
NOBODY reported the video as playing OK !
Available bandwidth is not constant — evening being the worst time. I tried playing my HD video when I knew I was getting ‘3 meg down’ and the video still stopped for a Buffer.

Rudolf Boogerman

Rudolf Boogerman

I'm just thinking out of the box here: What about uploading 2 versions? One high end video (HD) and a low end version (SD) and you put the low end on your site, with perhaps a link to the HD version on Vimeo.

With this approach, you could refuse the HD version to be embedded in other sites, only the SD version would go viral.

Rudolf Boogerman

Rudolf Boogerman

@Nigel Turnbull, I know it is very bad in Britain and it doesn't look like the local ISP's are going to do much about it. It is actually so bad that even regular SD videos don't play properly over there. I had several clients in England for whom I optimized video to place on Brightcove and the maximum bitrate I could safely use was 200Kbps.
It's sad, but that is how it is.

Nigel Turnbull

Nigel Turnbull

to Rudolf Boogerman,
Your ‘two video upload’ is an obvious workaround but I would rather not stun my viewers by depositing them on a site called Vimeo — wondering where my site went to.

As you point out, the average UK bandwidth available is pretty awful. I have been trying to encode my SD stuff at an average bitrate of 1meg but feel I should really drop it to about 800k or lower and take the quality-hit, especially on fast moving stuff.

I have just tested my bandwidth (at 9.00 pm) and I am getting 470k down — during the day I average around 2meg down. My best ever was 5meg down.

As for HD, well most people in the UK will have to REALLY want to watch it and maybe go take a shower while it downloads.
I want to make HD available but do not expect the average viewer to understand the technical nuances of why an HD video gives the impression that their computer has gone faulty.

Until the time when UK bandwidth is abundant, HD will be something I keep through the back for my special clients :)

Bill McDermott

Bill McDermott

I'm tired of waiting.... I'm going to YouTube to upload my videos. Wake me up when we get an answer. Or... wake them up to get an answer.

Initially I thought loading in HD was a good idea but all I get are people telling me the videos don't load. I even had to put a big "Turn HD off" explaination on my site. Even thought I paid for PLUS I'm now going to switch back to YouTube as starting off in SD just seems to work best for the majority of people viewing my videos.

PLEASE email the Vimeo staff directly from the help/ contact page and bug the hell out of them to fix this. Why pay for PLUS when I have to keep telling SD people to just view my videios on YouTube.

NoirFlux

NoirFlux Plus

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed after going Plus that this is an issue. Frankly, it's an embarrassment to have to put an explanation for people to turn off HD on my page - I'll lose 3 viewers for every one that tries to turn it off. And I saw elsewhere that the player remembers the HD setting via a cookie, so there is no real tech issue here.

Just having a global option, not even per-file, to default to SD would be a HUGE improvement.

This really is a deal killer. Too bad, everything else about Vimeo is pretty good.

The last staff comment was 3 months ago. Yeesh.

Blake Whitman

Blake Whitman Staff

We have a lot on our plate, but this feature is still on the dev cue ;) But thanks for the hack!

NoirFlux

NoirFlux Plus

OK, I did a little HTML hacking and you can set this on a file-by-file basis for embedded videos. This may not be the most elegant way, but it's simple and seems to work:

For each video you want to come up in SD, in the code you embedded, right after EACH instance (there are two) of "server=vimeo.com&" simply insert "hd_off=1&".

Voila.

NoirFlux

NoirFlux Plus

The forum ate the proper formatting. It should read:

right after EACH instance (there are two) of "server=vimeo.com&" simply insert "hd_off=1&".

Marmot

Marmot

Awesome, just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Sami Sänpäkkilä

Sami Sänpäkkilä Plus

Hi,

I would also like to be able to have SD as default embed option and if viewer so chooses watch it in HD embedded.

Since upgrading to Plus I had a few viewers complain that my embeds don't play properly. Took me a while to realise they embed in HD by default now. For the moment I've put everything embedded as SD until I can have the choice.

Sami

This has been going on forever. The last Vimeo staff member to comment said they have alot on their plate. Well with so many people irritated over this maybe someone should stay late one night. I love Vimeo and am glad to pay $70 for the plus but if this isn't changed by my renewal I don't see the point in renewing.

Johnathan Briggs

Johnathan Briggs

Also in the UK and I'm getting compaints on my embedds that they take too long to load and stutter.

Staff please give us a timescale on this, we have afterall paid for a professional service. If people are turning off HD embedding altogether then this will cost you money in the long term. PLEASE!

Ben Howard

Ben Howard

Does MediaDog's embed code change (posted like 5 up) not work for you? It worked fine for me.

Ron Adair

Ron Adair

Also throwing in my vote for this. The HD versions are quite slow to load unless you have a killer line (I happen to, but most of my friends/family/clients don't).

The hack works for me (as far as I tested), but I'm hoping that this becomes an option in the embed options window. If this hack works, why not simply implement this as another checkbox and alter the embed tag accordingly?

I realize most issues are complex when they look simple. Maybe that's the case here. But the solution really does seem simple and clear.

Trapdoor Productions

Trapdoor Productions PRO

We really need this feature for our customers as well. To be honest, while advertising for a 'super-customizable video player', this seems like a really obvious feature to be missing. Our customers are not tech-savy at all, and if a video does not load instantly or within five seconds, we might have lost a customer. Besides that, internet in Australia is still limited in data bandwidth, and the size of the video download makes a big difference.

PMV Productions

PMV Productions Plus

Please Please Please Vimeo - we need this feature now. I want my embedded HD videos to default to "HD OFF". Can you please give a timeframe when this is likely to be done?

Wray Bowling

Wray Bowling

I'm hoping to turn off HD while I'm embedding the moogaloop inside Flash via AS3. Not sure if this is the right place to speak up about that problem, but it is a similar issue.

Moving Films

Moving Films Plus

I have the plus version. But when I turn off the option to embed in the embedding plus settings, the embed button is still there, even in someone elses computer. That means that others can still embed it.
How can I make this complete turned off, except for some sites I chose, like the option in the HD embedding in the top.

Stillwater Cinematography

Stillwater Cinematography PRO

please add a little option box during embed screen to set this "hd off" feature automatically! thanks

OMF Media

OMF Media Plus

Most viewers of our videos are watching the HD version 98 to 11 finished, but probably because they are determined and don't realise they can switch to SD.
Maybe if the button was "switch to SD" or "HD off"

ilovecut

ilovecut Plus

please! this is such an important feature!!!

ChristianSchwier | LitewaveMedia

ChristianSchwier | LitewaveMedia PRO

Need this feature. Recently uploaded all our vids to vimeo (converted from youtube), and now having playback issues on our site and our clients' sites that we manage. Need this and the ipad embed compatibility asap please! please! please!

CCCNEHQ

CCCNEHQ Plus

I agree, please allow control of HD in embedded video.

SimpleGeo Inc.

SimpleGeo Inc.

Agreed! Would love to have HD by default for all users. Or at least the choice.

Andrew

Andrew Plus

Why is so dificult to make SD by default ?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

SD is by default for people without their HD/SD viewing preferences set.

laureline amanieux

laureline amanieux Plus

+1 for a "option box during embed screen to set this "hd off"
- i am also alsking for a even lower bitrate when in "HD off" because it is still too slow on crappy internet providers

and by the way why not HD off by default and HD on when in full screen ?

Stillwater Cinematography

Stillwater Cinematography PRO

Agreed. HD off by default in small window, HD on automatically when going to full screen.

Maybe even a little message somewhere for them to be patient while it loads ? A little happy vimeo face or something cute like that to keep people happy while they wait?

laureline amanieux

laureline amanieux Plus

i added the "hd_off=1&" and it works, i am now in SD by default but now i can no longer switch to HD !! -> when i click on HD there is a message "Guess what, you can watch this video in High Definition on Vimeo" and it refuses to go HD ?
is it possible to be SD by default but also let the users switch to HD if they decide to ? HELP !

Fiction Pictures

Fiction Pictures Plus

Would be really great to embed with a code allowing HD to be the default. For a production company that takes pride in the quality of their videos, it is a shame to have someone view in SD instead of automatically defaulting to HD.

Nat. Ver. de Zonnebloem

Nat. Ver. de Zonnebloem Plus

Display movies automatically in SD works well if the width of the iframe is below 900 pixels. If the width is set to 900 pixels or more, is will be displayed it HD.

Is there a way to display movies in SD if the width of the movie is set to 900 pixels or more?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

No, it will just follow your settings, not the size of the embed player.

darmogul

darmogul Plus

Wondering if there is an iframe equivalent of "hd_off=1&". to force embedded videos to HD OFF.
I have a number of HD videos that default to HD even though I have left that option unchecked in settings.

Seems like this conversation has been going on for 3 years!!!

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Do you have an example URL we can check out?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Thanks for the example. I can confirm the bug and I've ticketed our developers to take a closer look. We will try to dix this soon.

Sampler Banker

Sampler Banker

"With plus membership, you get 1,000 HD embeds (and you can buy more)"

What does it mean? 1000 play of a video or 1000 HD video embedding? Confusing...

Pixelpusher

Pixelpusher

I just want an option to have the video start playing instantly without any user action. I want to have my commercials on my site and want them to instantly play when the page loads... how hard could that be?

Don Burton

Don Burton Plus

I have "Make my videos HD everywhere" in my preferences UNCHECKED. And in the settings of my individual videos I have "Default this video to HD quality when embedded" UNCHECKED. But when they are embedded they still default to HD on. I would like my videos to default to HD off. Any news on this? Thanks.

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

That setting does not override the user's viewing preferences if that's cookied. In other words, if YOU are watching videos on vimeo with HD turned on, it will default to HD.

Don Burton

Don Burton Plus

Ahh.... got it. So here's the crux of the problem then: I cleared my cookies, emptied my cache, cleared the browsing history just to make sure, quit Firefox and restarted. I went to my video directly and by default it was set to play HD (even though there was no cookie to tell it to do so). So does the Vimeo player default to HD when people come to it completely clean as I just did? I also tested it out by going to a YouTube video that I know is set by default to play in SD. As a viewer I am set to view YouTube in HD but with the cookies removed, the first time going to YouTube video it played at 360 SD (so they default to SD). If vimeo defaults to HD on a clean load with no previous cookies, then it isn't solving the problem unfortunately. I have a number of viewers who have never been to Vimeo before and are being shown the HD by default even though my settings are not set to do so and they have no cookies telling them to play in HD. Having just tested it myself, I can say it is loading in HD even without the cookies telling it to do so. and even though my preferences were UNCHECKED. Any help is appreciated. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Rocksauce Studios

Rocksauce Studios Plus

And my videos DO NOT fault to HD, even though I have that option selected :D Not sure why.

Christopher  Ramirez

Christopher Ramirez

how about the as soon as the user pushes play. a quick screen pops up to choose between HD(slow loading) SD (fast loading)

Rocksauce Studios

Rocksauce Studios Plus

I've tried the 900px embed trick and I have my settings in the video to ALWAYS play as HD when embedded - yet, it doesn't.

Emblema Photo Agency

Emblema Photo Agency

For anybody interested in setting videos in HD by default, after lots of experimenting we've found the (very!) hidden option here:

ME / MY SETTINGS / VIDEOS / FILE SETTINGS

check BOTH:
- "Make my videos compatible with mobile devices"
- "Always play my videos in HD, when possible"

in this way a hidden option opens up "Also, apply to all existing videos."

Check it, click on SAVE AS DEFAULT button.

It's been the only way to make it, all the others failed. Hope this helps.

Scruples

Scruples PRO

This doesn't seem to work even, is there any relay time required for this ?

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.