Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Plus

This seems like a no brainer. Dropbox is infinitely more reliable than uploading on Vimeo's website. Especially if you are doomed to a slow connection (me). Why doesn't Vimeo then keep the file you choose from Dropbox?? I almost never have successful uploads through your site, so I always use Dropbox instead. BUT I pay for a PLUS account. This has to be a lack of storage issue on your end sense you clearly have to download the entire file to re-compress it anyways. It seems cheap and lame. The only other solution I can see to this would be to build a more robust uploader... like Dropbox.

Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Plus

No response to this I guess? Was I too mean? Too direct?

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

Hello Dan. Sorry for the delay in response. Dropbox is a relatively new feature and we believe there will be more integrated features that adds value in the future. For the time being, we wanted to start with a basic feature set which we thought were most crucial and fundamental to implement. Transferring files between the two services touches on several key things we need more spend more time on before we can make a decision on -- ie. the cost of bandwidth on transfer, the cost of storage, the dynamic nature of link between our storage and theirs and how to keep them in sync as it pertains to constant storage limit calculation we need to perform on our system, etc. etc.

Alan Pierson

Alan Pierson Plus

Yeah, I just discovered that Vimeo didn't keep the original files from Dropbox uploads, and my heart sank.

The two main reasons I decided last week to sign up for Vimeo Plus rather than another video service were 1) the Dropbox connection feature, which gives me lots of better options for getting videos into Vimeo than keeping a web page active for hours sipping my home PC's slow internet connection, and 2) the option to re-download original source files I was so disappointed today to realize that these two great features are mutually exclusive: if I use the Dropbox connection to upload videos, I can't later re-download those videos from Vimeo.

Is there any hope of Vimeo changing its approach here and keeping files transferred from Dropbox? I love Vimeo, and I'm really sad that it doesn't do this!

Thanks, Alan

Soxiam

Soxiam Staff

I've commented on few challenges of offering this feature above. It is not determined at this time whether we can provide this in the future but we will consider your suggestion. Thanks.

nor500

nor500

When will you enable "the download original file" with dropbox upload feature? Yesterday I realized there it is not working. I think it is a major issue for vimeo users who use dropbox upload feature.

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.