1 Minute: a Vimeo Project

A new Deputy Sheriff in Town

erich meyer

erich meyer

Hello all,

Blake who started 1 Minute Video has offered to me, and I have accepted to be a moderator of this group.

I have just spent a few hours removing videos that break the main rules. I know for a fact I did not get them all.

To reiterate, the rules for 1 minute video are:

-Video must be exactly one minute long
-No camera movement (no panning, tilting, etc)
-No editing whatsoever
-Use original sound
-Tag with '1 minute'
-Have fun

However, Blake told me to be "lenient" and has stated a few time in the past "that rules were meant to be broken."

This is my philosophy with the videos in this group, if they adhere to the spirit of the rules they will be fine. I have seen numerous videos on this group that break numerous rules, but are great 1 minute videos.

-Video must be exactly one minute long
Well, alot of videos out there are not exactly a minute long, including one of mine which is a minute and 9 seconds. Just try to make it one minute and stick to the spirit of the rules (mainly a single shot with original/natural sound) and the videos should have no real problems.

-No camera movement (no panning, tilting, etc)
This is subjective, as one could say the Earth is moving, therefore the camera is always moving :) And Hand-held cameras will always move, no matter how hard you try to stay still. Mainly I read this as the camera is fixed to something, like a tripod or a pair of handle bars. Just try not to move the camera to follow the action. Compose your shot and try to keep it as such.

-No editing whatsoever
Some folk have been adding simple titles or credits to their videos. I do not see this as a problem if the "shot" follows the rules and has no edits within it.

-Use original sound
"Original Sound" is the sound the camera records. If you want a soundtrack for your video, play it on a portable stereo unit while recording. Just do not add sound after the fact.

-Tag with '1 minute'
I really wonder how many videos in this group actually have this tag? I think more don't then those that do. well at least try to get it on.

-Have fun
And if you aren't, do something else that is.

I have started a New thread for the listing of videos that break the rules where you can post the links and I will check them out.

Have a good day and happy filming

EDIT: I was wondering what folk here think about Time Lapse videos and ones that are slowed down.

For example:

vimeo.com/groups/1minute/videos/36471923

vimeo.com/groups/1minute/videos/37132629 (not the best choice as it has added music, but there have been others like it that had been in this group.)

Should all the videos here be 1 minute in real time, or just need to be 1 minute in viewing time?

i am interested in the group's opinions.

-Erich

Rick Hill

Rick Hill

Hi Eric

NB - comments are not personally directed at you

Vimeo is full of creative, technically brilliant, and innovative film.
What is the point in setting up an appealing PROJECT and immediately undermine its integrity by allowing a free for all.
There is an open 2 minute channel - why not have an open 1 minute channel/group without any rules.
The beauty of the project is the challenging element of simple discipline; some people within the community seem to thrive on this aspect and produce great work.
'Breaking the rules' seems to be a euphonism for laziness, sloppiness, but more importantly, lack of imagination and creative instinct.
I do however appreciate that a lot of people want a popular platform to display their work, but surely an open 1 minute group would be more appropriate.

Best wishes
Rick

erich meyer

erich meyer

HeyRick,

Thanks for responding.

When I was given moderator status by Blake, he told me to be Lenient, and I know he has said in the past, "rules are meant to be broken."

here is an example, there was a video posted to this group, which no longer seems to be on any more. Not sure if Blake or a Viemo employee removed it, or if the creator removed it. But the video consisted of a man going through a shooting range, moving from target to target, shooting various guns at them. Now, most people I think would have stated the video broke the rules for the camera followed the shooter through the course. I on the other hand, saw it as a stretching of the rules, for the camera was almost always three to four feet away from the shooter and always looked over the shooters left shoulder. The only way to make it better would have been to have an contraption attached to the shooter to keep a consistent image over the shoulder. But from what I saw and how I viewed it, the kept the spirit of the rule.

Otherwise the 1 minute video of the Patriot Jets over San Francisco are breaking the rules for the camera is attached to an airplane moving at 100's of miles.
vimeo.com/groups/1minute/videos/10149800

And for the Dancers and Horses vimeo.com/groups/1minute/videos/36471923 I would think if the video showed an entire minute of action in slow motion instead of just being one of slow motion action. But either way it breaks the rules, but for this one it also has the spirit of the rules in many ways.

I don't want this group to just have videos that look like mine, slices of time in this world, but I want to see art, stories and things that are utterly cool.

As is, I have removed over 75 videos from this group in the past few days. Some that have been sitting there for almost two years.

Rick Hill

Rick Hill

Eric, I trust your judgement
It's good to know that someone is now able to be activally engaged in the oversight of the group, time permitting I'm sure.
Rick

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups