CANON EOS 60D

60D aperture control?

William Pasternack

William Pasternack

Does the 60D allow you to manually control the size of the aperture when using video? I need that shallow DOF from a large aperture.

Djordje Pivnicki - Dorde

Djordje Pivnicki - Dorde

I had same problem with aperture, but I found solution.
If you can't set different aperture, press "UNLOCK" and now you can change it with DIAL (rotating button).
Page 174 in canon 60d pdf manual :)

Lars Pallesen

Lars Pallesen

Yup, it sure does :-)
You can manually adjust both aperture and shutter speed in video mode.

salimnazer

salimnazer

I used to do it but not anymore. :( Even if i keep my aperture wide open(1.8) in manual mode & then turn the dial to video it automatically goes up to (3.5) or higher. Same applies to the shutter speed. I tried resetting all custom functions & settings but that didn help. Do you have any suggestions ?

Lars Pallesen

Lars Pallesen

When in manual mode you should definitely have full manual control over your aperture. Make sure you have also turned off other automatic settings such as "highlight priority" and "auto exposure".

Mental Pictures

Mental Pictures

I was seeing what kind of depth of field I could get with my 60d, but when I change the aperture, I don't really see any difference. What am I doing wrong?

Eivind Andre Bjørnø

Eivind Andre Bjørnø Plus

Well, can't really say without knowing what settings you used. But depth of field is way more noticable with a close focus distance. Go outside on a bright day. I'm assuming you have a kit lens (18-55mm or similar). Have a person standing 1,5 meters from the camera, and adjust your lens to around 25mm. Now shoot two clips with these different settings.

1: ISO 100, Shutterspeed 250, Aperture 3.5
You may need to increase the shutterspeed if it's too bright.

2: ISO 100, shutterspeed 50, Aperture 11
You may need to increase the ISO if it's too dark.

You should see a huge difference in the depth of field. You also need to know that large aperture means blurry background, and small aperture means less blurry background. Your lens' focal length together with focus distance also determine the depth of field.

Let me know if you need more help :)

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups