Panasonic AG-AC160 Users Group (and AG-AC130, too)

AC 130 Inconsistent Focus Plane???

Nathan Frisk

Nathan Frisk

I've had my AC-130 for about 4 months now, and I've loved it thus far. However, I was shooting a wedding this weekend, and I discovered a focusing issue that I hadn't seen before.

Basically, the focal plane on the camera appears inconsistent from side to side in the frame. At first I thought I mucked up my settings somehow, so I tried various different things (OIS on/off, exposure changes, manual focus assist on/off, etc.). I centered the camera, and pointed it at a wall that had some picture frames with sharp edges on both sides of the shot. Then I manually focused from infinity to minimal distance and back several times. Unfortunately, I got consistent results.

As I approached infinity, the left side of the frame would go out of focus noticeably sooner than the right side. As I approached minimum focus distance, the right hand side would go out of focus much earlier than the left. As I continued to test, I could actually see the blur moving from left to right as I adjusted my focus.

Am I missing something? This is my first substantial camcorder purchase, and I wasn't expecting this. I have used cheepie little camcorders, as well as DSLRs with L-series lenses, and I've never had this issue on any of them. Anyone else had this issue? Is this a common thing for entry level pro camcorders?

Thanks!
Nathan

Steve Crye

Steve Crye

This worries me, as I am contemplating buying an AC160. What you describe is exactly the same problem that I had with a Sony NX70. I had to beg B&H to let me send it back outside the 30 day trial period.

Such problems are due to either lens aberration or sensor misalignment.

Send it in for warranty service! Don't take no for an answer. Be a thorn in their side. If you can't get satisfaction, you might try complaining to the big cheese, Mr. Miyagi: panasonicprovideo.tumblr.com/about_blog

Steve

iSi Asia | Prodcam

iSi Asia | Prodcam

I didn't notice this problem of focus with my AG-AC130. I've only noticed that the autofocus was a bit slow after a fast zooming...
Maybe it is because of the iris too much or not enough open...

Bert

Bert

Had a friend who bought 2 x AC 130 , and used it for 2 months he had the same focus problems and get rid of those Cameras ...no good

This conversation is missing your voice. Please join Vimeo or log in.

This is a Vimeo Group. Groups allow you to create mini communities around the things you like. Check out other interesting groups. Groups